• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
You know the situation with China is so fucked when so much drama is created from what athletes and video game companies say while the powers that can actually do something about it sit on sidelines watching others take the heat.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
MLK came through this because of black issues which was the origin. Then he got killed. Fast forward to now we still are being killed treated like shit. Sure it got better, and hopefully for the ones in China it gets better, but its still isn't enough for us.
At this point how minorities especially black people are being treated fucking why not. I'm tired of this shit we shouldn't be afraid to live because of our skin color.
Maybe a more radical view will help us

So making exceptions for Freedom is what MLK actually meant.

Is your radical view?

You could just stop now instead of twisting yourself into such a pretzel that you are now demolishing the ideals of a Civil Rights Giant.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So freedom from injustice is only for the select few, thats what MLK really meant?

Wow, thats the hill you want to die on?

I'm not even on the dude's side but I find invoking MLK usually only happens when we're lecturing black people about something. It's just tiresome. Like I literslly only see MLK brought up for this reason. Lebron is not MLK and it's not like MLK himself was infallible. Quoting that tweet over and over is just disingenuous. Dude gets it wrong and now its "but what about the MLK tweet you posted!! Guess you aint shit!!" Yes, he has fucked up bad. Yes he deserves a lot of criticism. No, I personally dont find value in what you're doing, it comes off as obnoxious.

Its the type of thing that I as a black person just makes me not even wanna fucking interact with people on social issues.

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019

Is your radical view?

You could just stop now instead of twisting yourself into such a pretzel that you are now demolishing the ideals of a Civil Rights Giant.
A civil rights giants who was religious based on Christianity which was made by white people for white people.
Same religion that caused Botham's brother and Father to spit on his grave in public.
If MLK wasn't religious I can bet you that he would not have been on this bullshit.

also like above poster said how dare you.
White Supremacy again trying to shove me some MLK quotes on me to keep me docile

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You know the situation with China is so fucked when so much drama is created from what athletes and video game companies say while the powers that can actually do something about it sit on sidelines watching others take the heat.
I will say this:

It would be nice if this degree of...passion...would be channeled by some of you into calling your congressman and sitting in on some local city government meetings instead of yelling at each other on a video game forum.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is your radical view?

this guy?

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont even get how this turned into an argument on lebron doesnt have to care about non black people when he could have just sidestepped the questions.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
6tcd2m655us31.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
MLK came through this because of black issues which was the origin. Then he got killed. Fast forward to now we still are being killed treated like shit. Sure it got better, and hopefully for the ones in China it gets better, but its still isn't enough for us.
At this point how minorities especially black people are being treated fucking why not. I'm tired of this shit we shouldn't be afraid to live because of our skin color.
Maybe a more radical view will help us

Defending a genocidal authoritarian state to preserve your earnings.

Such a radical view.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
There won't be one person within the NBA circles that will tweet out anything about China. You can consider this a job well done from China censoring America.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
My stance on this
Lebron shouldn't have to care.
His priorities are his people
You and others can go on an get outraged but don't try to drag him into this bs.
Black people are hunted and treated like shit in Amerikkka it's sad but we can't go and care for others when our people are hurting.
Blame White Supremacy for this malarkey not the individuals affected by it.
The pure idiocy of that statement. Jesus. He can care about whatever he wants, but that's not what he did here. He told someone who did care about someone other than himself and his own people to shut the fuck up. It's OK to be silent about an issue if you feel like it, but it sure as fuck isn't OK to tell others to shut up about issues they care about. Or are you saying it's cool when other people tell Lebron to shut up and dribble because they dont like the causes he does choose to support? So many damn hypocrites in this thread.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There it is.
The thing a lot of users here wanted to say.
I mean Lebron is for black power empowerment in American and they don't have want to be seen as racist by criticizing this. But when it comes to an issue in another country that is very fucking fragile and him saying things could put him or other black athletes in danger comes to the light and he carefully adresses it. They go and tear him down cmon tell us how him being for black empowerment tears you and others apart that he has a black wife and puts black women on a pedestal instead of white people makes your heart bleed feller. You just want him to shut up and dribble right?
I wonder why the threads on kerr or pop if there is any go this far?
Leave our black community figures alone go stan kanye west if yall so angry.
Or maybe people just think he's a hypocrite for throwing people who support a just cause under the bus.
Nah can't be it, all these people in this board are out for black people actually. Everyone's a racist.
charlie%20kelly%20%281%29.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Like literally all anyone had to say this this (starts at 3:00 minutes):

You don't even have to go ham and blast anyone or even say "FREE HONG KONG". Stotts doesn't even mention Hong Kong. You just got to say that these are American values, we're American and that's what I've got to say about the situation. But instead you have guys like James Harden and LeBron James jumping into the deep end trying to resuscitate their potential Chinese income stream by accepting and propagating Chinese nationalist propaganda. Its not even the players, Steve Kerr's statement and even Pop's statement were super tepid, long winded and were more concerned about deflecting this towards the honestly easy punching bag that is Trump and his administration.

Like you'd think that this would be a gimme statement but no one has bothered to take it because they're so terrified about losing a few million from their already hundreds of millions because China might be terrified of anything that doesn't say "Hong Kong is a super complex situation and Morey is uneducated" or "Sorry China for my GM saying offensive things to you, we love you, you treat us really nicely".

It shouldn't piss me off this much but it really does piss me off how quick these guys are willing to throw their colleagues - who really have done nothing truly objectionable - under the bus because they potentially cost them a small percentage of their earnings that they don't remotely need to survive.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Defending a genocidal authoritarian state to preserve your earnings.

Such a radical view.

Y'all still arguing with this troll account? They've done exactly what they wanted to do, get the conversation away from Lebron's shitty statment and leaning it towards race. He's baiting you guys.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
There it is.
The thing a lot of users here wanted to say.
I mean Lebron is for black power empowerment in American and they don't have want to be seen as racist by criticizing this. But when it comes to an issue in another country that is very fucking fragile and him saying things could put him or other black athletes in danger comes to the light and he carefully adresses it. They go and tear him down cmon tell us how him being for black empowerment tears you and others apart that he has a black wife and puts black women on a pedestal instead of white people makes your heart bleed feller. You just want him to shut up and dribble right?
I wonder why the threads on kerr or pop if there is any go this far?
Leave our black community figures alone go stan kanye west if yall so angry.

leave kanye alone
pacspit.gif

he's been through enough

Oct 27, 2017
A civil rights giants who was religious based on Christianity which was made by white people for white people.
Same religion that caused Botham's brother and Father to spit on his grave in public.
If MLK wasn't religious I can bet you that he would not have been on this bullshit.

also like above poster said how dare you.
White Supremacy again trying to shove me some MLK quotes on me to keep me docile

People are referring to Lebron quoting MLK....

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Why is this discussion is being framed as those who disagree with Lebrons' take do so because he is black and the central issue about this whole thing is about injustices done to black people?

I mean, what?

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this:

It would be nice if this degree of...passion...would be channeled by some of you into calling your congressman and sitting in on some local city government meetings instead of yelling at each other on a video game forum.
Fact is someone as influential as Lebron has a significant impact so his voice, when he chooses to use it, matters to people a great deal. I wouldn't reduce that to "yelling at each other on a video game forum".

Notwithstanding how nice it would be if there was more civic engagement and grassroots political involvement in general... but at a minimum I appreciate that people are siding with democracy and free speech, rather than just looking to put positive or neutral spin on things.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not even on the dude's side but I find invoking MLK usually only happens when we're lecturing black people about something. It's just tiresome. Like I literslly only see MLK brought up for this reason. Lebron is not MLK and it's not like MLK himself was infallible. Quoting that tweet over and over is just disingenuous. Dude gets it wrong and now its "but what about the MLK tweet you posted!! Guess you aint shit!!" Yes, he has fucked up bad. Yes he deserves a lot of criticism. No, I personally dont find value in what you're doing, it comes off as obnoxious.

Its the type of thing that I as a black person just makes me not even wanna fucking interact with people on social issues.
I'll take the heat for that one since I brought it up to address faceless asking why people were expecting him to speak on other issues. I saw that he wasn't just using it in the tweet that some people keep sharing but at other times as well. By doing so repeatedly he's branding himself as being about the same type of work and if he's not really about that he should stop doing it because he's going to keep creating that expectation of himself to the public that he means all people. If he is truly only interested in helping black people in America, there are other black activists that he could quote that will make that clear. I never got the vibe from him that these were empty platitudes though.

It's why I don't identify as a pacifist or try to sell myself as one. I'm for nonviolence but I will never say that I'm a pacifist as there are situations that I might find myself in again where, to stay safe, I may unfortunately have to defend myself or those I care about as I have in the past.

My main thing was pushing back while reading this because that safety excuse kept cropping up and it was stupid as hell as a deflection. If our people's safety is at risk doing business in that country, they shouldn't be there and I'd want the players to feel supported enough to come out and say they're not going.

elephantstone

Nov 29, 2017
Wish you all could understand Chinese and read comments from Hong Kong's local forum. The attack on James mind-boggling, I mean it's one thing to dislike or disagree with a person's political stand, it's a whole new level to make racism insults on an entire race. I'm not just making a scene out of a few posts. There were an awful lot ugly curses (thankfully some people come to their minds and call for stops) that make me vomit.

I'm sympathetics to the protest in general but sometimes I have to wonder is it really freedom or democratic they are fighting for? And the hypocritical shows all these politicians have put on(where are you when people form Ecuador or Haiti or Catalonia are oppressed?) doesn't help too. Easy for them to just throw a tween and be couch fighter without ever see or talk or investigate on matters. Guess it serves the crowds and medias today. Make a stance that satisfy majority's appetite is far more important than actual logical analysis. James is not wrong on staying away from the political issues he's not familiar or involved with. He's smart and won't be a tool for certain politicians

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Wish you all could understand Chinese and read comments from Hong Kong's local forum. The attack on James mind-boggling, I mean it's one thing to dislike or disagree with a person's political stand, it's a whole new level to make racism insults on an entire race. I'm not just making a scene out of a few posts. There were an awful lot ugly curses (thankfully some people come to their minds and call for stops) that make me vomit.

I'm sympathetics to the protest in general but sometimes I have to wonder is it really freedom or democratic they are fighting for? And the hypocritical shows all these politicians have put on(where are you when people form Ecuador or Haiti or Catalonia are oppressed?) doesn't help too. Easy for them to just throw a tween and be couch fighter without ever see or talk or investigate on matters. Guess it serves the crowds and medias today. Make a stance that satisfy majority's appetite is far more important than actual logical analysis. James is not wrong on staying away from the political issues he's not familiar or involved with. He's smart and won't be a tool for certain politicians

He didn't stay out of this political issue though. He started criticising others on how they discussed it. If you are unfamiliar with/uneducated on an issue, you can't criticise someone else for being uneducated on it.

Nobody is required to be an ultimate freedom justice fighter that is trying to solve every possible injustice in universe. But then you can't claim to be one either. Issue here is that Lebron has built a brand on speaking out on social issues. So this "not everyone has to be a politician" -talk is bad for his credibility and puts his motives in question.

Let's take me as an example. I don't have the time or the energy to comment on every issue, spread awareness on every problem and boycott every product that has a problem related to it or company that makes it. I also haven't found a politician to vote for that is 100% perfect in every way imaginable. I have to make priority choices where to direct my energy, and Hong Kong issue is one where I have directed my energy. But now that I have taken part in this discussion, anyone is free to point things I have done wrong on the topic, give suggestions what I should do on this issue and otherwise criticise my knowledge on the task at hand.

We are not gods with unlimited power and capabilities, so asking "where are you when" is not really fair.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory accusation

who's paying you

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Hindsight is 20/20, but I doubt people would have been satisfied if LeBron said no comment or made a neutral response at the start.

Would have called him a coward and sellout anyways.

When have people every reciprocated a neutral stance with indifference? Of course they would've shat on him lol.

People here blow more smoke than a choo choo train.

The overreactions say that much.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
When have people every reciprocated a neutral stance with indifference? Of course they would've shat on him lol.

People here blow more smoke than a choo choo train.

The overreactions say that much.
Still attempting to defend the indefensible, I see. The fact that you look at this situation and think the problem here are the people criticizing Lebron says all that needs to be said about who you actually are.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Still attempting to defend the indefensible, I see. The fact that you look at this situation and think the problem here are the people criticizing Lebron says all that needs to be said about who you actually are.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Keep huffing and puffing my guy.

Don't forget to pat yourself on the back on the way out.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
The number of people in this thread who keep mislabeling the criticism as "Lebron has to be active in every social issue" is sad. At some point, you have to assume they are deliberately presenting a straw man to further some ulterior agenda because I refuse to believe they are incapable of comprehending the point.

The criticism against Lebron is not that he refuses to be active in supporting Hong Kong; It's that he attacked someone and labeled them ignorant for supporting Hong Kong.

Don't want to be an ally? Fine. But don't work against the movement for your pocket book. People will rightfully criticize you for caring more about money than human rights and your hypocrisy.
Yep, literally 99.9 percent of the NBA has clammed up. All he had to do was say nothing. Instead he chose to attack the one guy who wasn't afraid to take a stand. Real genius PR move.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Real dissappointing.
The number of people in this thread who keep mislabeling the criticism as "Lebron has to be active in every social issue" is sad. At some point, you have to assume they are deliberately presenting a straw man to further some ulterior agenda because I refuse to believe they are incapable of comprehending the point.

The criticism against Lebron is not that he refuses to be active in supporting Hong Kong; It's that he attacked someone and labeled them ignorant for supporting Hong Kong.

Don't want to be an ally? Fine. But don't work against the movement for your pocket book. People will rightfully criticize you for caring more about money than human rights and your hypocrisy.

I feel thats the whole point for me. He didn't have to say shit. But he did, and and ultimately he picked a side because he criticizes someone else who had also picked a side.