• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the "damn moral purists" argument was used for the really terrible #MeToo cases...

Criticism of a public figure is not this pitchfork cancelling you all think is happening. Get some thicker skin.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I wonder which athlete would be brave enough to come out and voice their support for Hong Kong.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with all of that. My problem is that people continue to post in here as if LeBron is saying Morey was wrong to support Hong Kong or that Morey shouldn't have made the tweet. Which is not what he said at all.

If people wanna hate on LeBron for this situation then it's entirely possible to do it without going after him for something he never said. His stance is completely tone deaf and his use of the word "misinformed" was downright stupid, but he never sided with China or said that he doesn't support Hong Kong.

He had a long time to think about it and he comes out with this poorly thought-out statement. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to hear him say another word about Kaepernick or police brutality in the US.

You don't get to choose choose when to stand up for something when it's convenient to you. The whole "this isn't the time or place" bullshit is exactly what people were using on the Kaep thing, which makes his statement incredibly ironic.

"You're not thinking about the financial ramifications". Fuck outta here with that.
Should we really eliminate voices and progress towards one goal because he's not doing it universally? At some point, the victims should be a lot more important to you than...owning LeBron or whatever.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Did you actually read what he said? Because you seemed to have completely missed what he was actually talking about. He was talking about the ramifications for players and personnel who were in China when the statement was made and how it affects their safety. Not just the financial side of it.

Hahaha ha. No he wasn't. He's already trying to backtrack. He went after Morey and said he was uneducated; any attempt to say that he wasnt defending his bottom line will be met with heavy skeptism by me. LeBron is one of the most calculating and meticulous athletes in the history of American sports. He wants shit both ways this time; stand up to police brutality in the US but turn a blind eye to the litany of human rights violations that China does.

Someone in the NBA front office in China had to fear for their safety cause of moreys tweet? Get the fuck outta here with that.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
EG4hA_8UYAAlTz4.png:large

So even if he thinks it, he'll never say it.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Moral puritanism has nothing to do with this. It is uber disappointing to see that someone who has had years of speaking out against injustice in the United States, now becomes a bootlicker for China.
except that is not what happened at all.

he never said Morey was wrong to say it or that China was right but rather WHEN he said it wasn't the best idea. Misinformed is a bad word choice and clouds things greatly. And yes I imagine some of this is about the money but none of this makes him a bootlicker for China....at no point did he ever say he agrees w/ China.

the leaps so many of yall are making to get there is insane. So quick to condemn and call people shit at the drop of a hat especially when said person has done enough to get the benefit of the doubt. I'm not even the biggest Bron fan. Hell I think a lot of the time he , like Morey, does some things for brownie points too but holy shit guys...take a step back and stop immediately dumping people into the shit pile.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the "damn moral purists" argument was used for the really terrible #MeToo cases...

Criticism of a public figure is not this pitchfork cancelling you all think is happening. Get some thicker skin.

Why are you comparing the severity of lebrons comments to sexual assault?

What about your whataboutism sounded smart to you?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He had a long time to think about it and he comes out with this poorly thought-out statement. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
I don't disagree. He could have done a much better job getting his point across. But going after him for something he never actually said like some people in here are doing doesn't fix anything and only distracts from the real problems surrounding his statement.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i'm trying to understand where lebron is coming from here but considering morey's initial tweet was so mild in the first place, i don't really get it.

this comes off as, hey darryl don't fuck up the bag for the first of us. we sell lots of sneakers there.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Lebron have like a 50-100 million dollar deal with Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins in China?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I know China is shitty but does anyone honestly think China would imprison Lebron and the rest of the nba players because of a tweet someone else made? They weren't harmed at all, maybe spiritually but no physical harm came to them. I just can't see that happening.

Oct 26, 2017
except that is not what happened at all.

he never said Morey was wrong to say it or that China was right but rather WHEN he said it wasn't the best idea. Misinformed is a bad word choice and clouds things greatly. And yes I imagine some of this is about the money but none of this makes him a bootlicker for China....at no point did he ever say he agrees w/ China.

the leaps so many of yall are making to get there is insane. So quick to condemn and call people shit at the drop of a hat especially when said person has done enough to get the benefit of the doubt. I'm not even the biggest Bron fan. Hell I think a lot of the time he , like Morey, does some things for brownie points too but holy shit guys...take a step back and stop immediately dumping people into the shit pile.

But that's what you're not understanding. Lebron could have said anything to suggest that the content of what Morey said wasn't wrong, and yet, he made sure that he didn't say anything that supported or gave the impression of supporting Hong Kong. That said a lot about his priorities as far as social justice is concerned, and that he will only take a stand if his money is not affected. That deserves criticism.

I'm confused, what safety did Morey put at risk with that tweet?

EG4l2NMX4AAb37j.jpg%3Alarge

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
But that's what you're not understanding. Lebron could have said anything to suggest that the content of what Morey said wasn't wrong, and yet, he made sure that he didn't say anything that supported or gave the impression of supporting Hong Kong. That said a lot about his priorities as far as social justice is concerned, and that he will only take a stand if his money is not affected. That deserves criticism.

Who's safety does that risk is my question.

The safety of NBA players and Personnel who were in China at the time. (Lebron was one of those players)
Hmmm this is the first time Ive realized this. Good point. I do wonder, did anybody report that players or personnel were worried when he tweeted that? There was a lot of chatter about it and China cancelling, but were there any reports of worry?

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans

Lebron supports China's ideals and Morey is saying no-no speech.

RamsesGod43

Sep 28, 2019
Mississauga
Your depression doesn't negate your coded racism, nor do I care about it. Do better, and know that my pieces of papers from elite institutions and employers stand higher than your's. Thus base on your logic, you can't really critique what I am saying.
You now what? You can call me a racist all you want. I know I am not. That's how you shut down a person's comments and opinions. Degrading someone who has different opinions than yours. Not everything is about is race.

I would say they same thing about Justin Beiber who probably, definitely doesn't have a college education. I dont like Lebron and definitely dont like Justin Beiber. Just because a person is famous doesn't mean he can spout off whatever wants and not get criticized in a public forum.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
CCP is crazy but they're not crazy enough to detain the face of the NBA over a fucking message from a platform that's banned from their own country. I just don't see China risking actual war for that so idk what that physical harm nonsense was about.

As an aside I want Kyrie to be the most Kyrie he's ever been this season lol. I need him to open his 4th eye tbh

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to hear him say another word about Kaepernick or police brutality in the US.

You don't get to choose choose when to stand up for something when it's convenient to you. The whole "this isn't the time or place" bullshit is exactly what people were using on the Kaep thing, which makes his statement incredibly ironic.

"You're not thinking about the financial ramifications". Fuck outta here with that.

why should the financial livelihood of every person in the organization be at risk because Morey ran his mouth?

Morey dragged an entire organization into a war with a fucking country. These people just want to play ball and feed their kids. They had zero choice getting dragged into this. Calling that out is fair game.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you comparing the severity of lebrons comments to sexual assault?

What about your whataboutism sounded smart to you?

This is what people do now. This is the current outrage wave. They're going to crucify anyone who speaks on this issue in a way that's not even remotely supportive of HK until they get bored and then move on to the next wave. This is discourse in 2019.

LeBron is upset that his team's and colleagues' safety was jeopardized by Morey's tweet and he said that in the worst way possible. Let's all cancel LeBron now.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
You now what? You can call me a racist all you want. I know I am not. That's how you shut down a person's comments and opinions. Degrading someone who has different opinions than yours. Not everything is about is race.

I would say they same thing about Justin Beiber who probably, definitely doesn't have a college education. I dont like Lebron and definitely dont like Justin Beiber. Just because a person is famous doesn't mean he can spout off whatever wants and not get criticized in a public forum
Take your coded racism and obvert ignorance somewhere and educate yourself (and I mean that sincerely: go educate yourself). You have a shallow understanding of the value of your thoughts, and an even worse reading comprehension. You are dismissed.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is bordering on concern-trolling. There is no reasonable belief that one man's tweet = death/harm to NBA staff.
They were guests in a country famous for their complete disregard for human rights. Is it seriously that hard to believe that the people who were there might have felt unsafe after seeing the backlash in the news?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
CCP is crazy but they're not crazy enough to detain the face of the NBA over a fucking message from a platform that's banned from their own country. I just don't see China risking actual war for that so idk what that physical harm nonsense was about.

As an aside I want Kyrie to be the most Kyrie he's ever been this season lol. I need him to open his 4th eye tbh

I mean, Lebron was one of the players in China. He clearly doesn't know that CCP isn't crazy enough to do that.

And if they were, he would have found out. I can see why that might make him say some stupid stuff.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
If you really think physical harm would come out of Morey's statement, you are high. At its worst, China would've kicked NBA/American players and personnel out.

China is draconian, but they are not stupid enough to harm or kill foreign personnel with such high publicity for their opinions. That's ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2017
They were guests in a country famous for their complete disregard for human rights. Is it seriously that hard to believe that the people who were there might have felt unsafe?

So they're going to kill/harm some of the most high-profile Americans and incite a potential war from the US Government?

China lacks in human rights, but they are not stupid to go risk a war over athletes.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why should the financial livelihood of every person in the organization be at risk because Morey ran his mouth?

Morey dragged an entire organization into a war with a fucking country. These people just want to play ball and feed their kids. They had zero choice getting dragged into this. Calling that out is fair game.

Now change Morey to Kaepernick.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
misinformed isn't the right word at all for this situation though. so lebron is wrong on that front, first off.

there is room for criticism from the coach/player safety front, sure. but that's not being misinformed. if he's saying morey should be more mindful before he tweets when his players and other players play in china, then he's right there. because they were on the frontlines in the middle of something that they didn't personally sign up for, regardless of how they feel about the ccp or the chinese people/hong kong.

but this statement and the backtracking is just off and comes off as simply protective of their vast personal financial interests in the country. which is fair, but at the same time, there's no being misinformed there.

odd time for lebron to deliver a statement like that too. most of it has already past and he brings it all up again throwing back into the news cycle. so it is a little weird.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I got a lot of respect for Morey. That was a risky move that could have cost him his job. Shit, it still might cost him his job. I understand why some people in the league are pissed though.

Deleted member 59245

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
If you really think physical harm would come out of Morey's statement, you are high. At its worst, China would've kicked NBA/American players and personnel out.
Motherfuckers out here acting like China was gonna broadcast the execution of LeBron James on live tv to make a point.

I know we don't like China at the moment but they're not the Empire from Star Wars. No way they're touching anyone in the NBA.

Remember the LiAngelo Ball situation in China? C'mon guys don't be dense.