• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mollusklover

Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Yeah the fact that people don't think that there's anything remotely off kilter about the post in the first place kinda pisses me off. Something about Jewish people that make people really not give two shits about making jokes or portraying stereotypes.
They think Jews are priviledged. Which makes them fair game.

This is so wack.

If some of y'all drove through these black neighborhoods and saw how many businesses and properties were owned by Jewish people, and saw how much of our money went to the Jewish people that own these things, you'd realize it was a compliment. "We wanna get like y'all" is exactly what the lyric meant. From our point of view in the black community, you guys have it made.

Literally this.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so wack.

If some of y'all drove through these black neighborhoods and saw how many businesses and properties were owned by Jewish people, and saw how much of our money went to the Jewish people that own these things, you'd realize it was a compliment. "We wanna get like y'all" is exactly what the lyric meant. From our point of view in the black community, you guys have it made.
If you opened a history book you'd understand why its not taken as a compliment and stop saying it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is so wack.

There's more to the world and history than your immediate surroundings. Your point of view isn't necessarily wrong, but it's certainly understandable why the entire world doesn't share it considering what you're calling a compliment was the exact propaganda tool used to start a movement that murdered millions of Jews.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
If you opened a history book you'd understand why its not taken as a compliment and stop saying it.
Foh with that. I understand that Jewish people have been persecuted because of their perceived status, but taking the connotation of the line out of context is just fucking dumb. You mean we can't talk about Jewish people and their wealth in the US at all?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
There's more to the world and history than your immediate surroundings. Your point of view isn't necessarily wrong, but it's certainly understandable why the entire world doesn't share it considering what you're calling a compliment was the exact propaganda tool used to start a movement that murdered millions of Jews.
Yeah I get that. I'm more upset with people attacking the man (calling him dumb, unintelligent and the like) for a tweet like this when, in the US among the population, it isn't even a bad thing. Coming from the black community it just seems like the dumbest thing in the world to me that this is considered bad or anti-Semitic. It's not like he said a racial slur or anything negative. They just got cash. It ain't even like he wants to take their cash, he just wants to get like them. That's it.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
You just went out of your way to say a dude who dresses up like a Nazi also does charity work and compare that man to what Bron said and apologized for?
I have already explained to you why I'm making this comparison. Since I apparently need to do so again, I am not saying PDP and LeBron are the same. I'm saying the situation of a person who has done a lot of good, then says/does something problematic and then is defended by fans by using that irrelevant good as means to be dismissive, is similair. Not the same, but similiar. Also should be noted PDP wasn't always so blatant about how shit he was and that is the point where I'm comparing not current.

Literally no one said... he shouldn't have apologized
Maybe actaually read the thread before making such claims. Obviously not in that specific phrasing, but people clearly dont think he did anything wrong.
To be serious for two seconds, why is LeBron apologizing and not 21
It's a pretty weak apology but he's really got nothing to apologize for. Hence people's response.
Then there's the extremely dissmive posts and finally people in this thread going as far as to say what he said was actually positive.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017
Easy fix. Just directly reference the Jewish person you're thinking of.

"We been gettin that Lyor Cohen money. Everything is kosher."

Not that many people outside of rap know who Lyor is and your simplistic Jewish wordplay still works without catching the racial generalization flack.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Easy fix. Just directly reference the Jewish person you're thinking of.

"We been gettin that Lyor Cohen money. Everything is kosher."

Not that many people outside of rap know who Lyor is and your simplistic Jewish wordplay still works without catching the racial generalization flack.
I was just about to post the Breakfast Club interview with Lyor Cohen.

Oct 31, 2017
I have already explained to you why I'm making this comparison. Since I apparently need to do so again, I am not saying PDP and LeBron are the same. I'm saying the situation of a person who has done a lot of good, then says/does something problematic and then is defended by fans by using that good as a shield is similair. I have litterally said I don't think LeBron's intent was malicous.

Maybe actaually read the thread before making such claims. Obviously not in that specific phrasing, but people clearly dont think he did anything wrong.

Then there's the extremely dissmive posts and finally people in this thread going as far as to say what he said was actually positive.

See I honestly didn't realize PDP is "a person who does a lot of good but does something problematic" until your post just now.

why compare the fans of a particularly malicious figure who constantly offends on purpose to fans of a mostly totally decent man like LeBron?

nuance?

You're acting like fans need to shield someone who stepped in front of the bullet by apologizing

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Dude the "but the Jews do own everything, no lies detected" defense is not it
That ain't what he or anyone else is saying though.

Jewish people, at least in the US, do have a disproportionate amount of wealth. People in the black community admire that. We want OUR community to reach that point. How do we do that? We study their infrastructures and familial relations and try to emulate it. We can't do that if we just ignore the fact that they got money. Otherwise, we'll just be stuck here forever.

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018

Jewish people, at least in the US, do have a disproportionate amount of wealth. People in the black community admire that. We want OUR community to reach that point. How do we do that? We study their infrastructures and familial relations and try to emulate it. We can't do that if we just ignore the fact that they got money. Otherwise, we'll just be stuck here forever.
Yep. A big part of being pro-black. I've accepted that white folks will never understand that though.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

I've lived a good portion of my life in the boroughs of NYC so I get what you're trying to convey. But can't you see how this is fetishization of Jews and their mystical wealth and that it's not unique to the black community, that this fetishization is the story of our history? Your personal experience is not an excuse for an anti-semitic cultural blind spot and this has always been an aspect of Hip-Hop that deserves the side eye. Turning our negative cultural stereotype into your positive one is not it. The incredibly short leap from the "Jews make all the money" to the "Jews control everything" school of thought is it.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
See I honestly didn't realize PDP is "a person who does a lot of good but does something problematic" until your post just now.

why compare the fans of a particularly malicious figure who constantly offends on purpose to fans of a mostly totally decent man like LeBron?

nuance?

You're acting like fans need to shield someone who stepped in front of the bullet by apologizing
I'm not going to keep doing this if all your going to do is ignore what I've said and argue in bad faith by trying to intentionally twist my words.

Last edited:

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I can only imagine if this was anyone else the defense force wouldn't be as strong and they would be "cancelled" and straight up be labeled a racist. Comes off hypocritical tbh.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived a good portion of my life in the boroughs of NYC so I get what you're trying to convey. But can't you see how this is fetishization of Jews and their mystical wealth and that it's not unique to the black community, that this fetishization is the story of our history? Your personal experience is not an excuse for an anti-semitic cultural blind spot and this has always been an aspect of Hip-Hop that deserves the side eye. Turning our negative cultural stereotype into your positive one is not it. The incredibly short leap from the "Jews make all the money" to the "Jews control everything" school of thought is it.
It's not a fetishization, man, it's just facts. If the story of your history is having wealth, then it should be looked at. Not in a negative light, but in a way to help others build.

EDIT: think of it this way. If your community had horrible sanitary issues, and there was a community that have prospered in great hygiene, wouldn't you wanna know how they do it so you too can live a healthy life?

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's not a fetishization, man, it's just facts. If the story of your history is having wealth, then it should be looked at. Not in a negative light, but in a way to help others build.
Nah, you're not convincing me you have a full understanding of the weight and blood behind the issue. Can't keep going back and forth on this though, I've said what I wanted to say in my posts in the thread.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My words don't hold much weight since I'm not Jewish (well 23% according to my ancestry test), but that lyric doesn't really seem offensive in the first place.

Yes it's a stereotype but the line is a positive one.

At the end of the day though, if Jewish people find it offensive that should be respected.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Antisemitism.
Nah, you're not convincing me you have a full understanding of the weight and blood behind the issue. Can't keep going back and forth on this though, I've said what I wanted to say in my posts in the thread.
"Weight and blood"..... do you know what black people have been through and continue to go through?

I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't give a flying fuck if someone thinks I'm fetishizing Jewish people for having great economic stability and familial relations that I would like to learn from and emulate for my people. There's too many roadblocks that black men and women have to go through already.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. A big part of being pro-black. I've accepted that white folks will never understand that though.
Will you understand that my ancestors came to the US to flee being killed in antisemitic violence in part rooted in this stereotype?
"Weight and blood"..... do you know what black people have been through and continue to go through?

I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't give a flying fuck if someone thinks I'm fetishizing Jewish people for having great economic stability and familial relations that I would like to learn from and emulate for my people. There's too many roadblocks that black men and women have to go through already.
Jewish people have had anything but economic stability over the centuries. What you want to emulate is the instagram version of a way more complicated subject with a much darker history.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Jewish people have had anything but economic stability over the centuries. What you want to emulate is the instagram version of a way more complicated subject with a much darker history.
The financial stability that Jewish people have within the United States is definitely disproportionate and something I would LOVE to emulate.

You understand black people have absolutely none of that, on any continent, right?

Black people got all of the struggle and none of the wealth.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
This is so wack.

If I randomly walked up to you on the street and said "Wow, you must be awesome at basketball," would you feel complimented or would you be giving me side-eye?

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think many rappers know this is an anti-Semitic stereotype.
I can only imagine if this was anyone else the defense force wouldn't be as strong and they would be "cancelled" and straight up be labeled a racist. Comes off hypocritical tbh.
People don't even care when nonblacks quote the nword from a song. Don't know what your point is

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People don't even care when nonblacks quote the nword from a song. Don't know what your point is

They definitely do (as they should), especially on this forum (see the below thread on this exact subject from earlier in the year). Not sure what your point is or what that has to do with this thread.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ke...rd-onstage-with-him-at-concert-read-op.44150/

The lyric is anti Semitic. Just because it's a "positive" stereotype doesn't mean it's not. This stereotype has caused lots of issues for Jewish people in the past.

https://www.jweekly.com/2013/04/12/...he-history-the-reality-jccsf-series-explores/

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you're coming to conclusions about whether or not a stereotype is positive while not being the target of that stereotype and shunning the people who are the target telling you how it's problematic you might want to, like, not do that

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely do (as they should), especially on this forum (see the below thread on this exact subject from earlier in the year). Not sure what your point is or what that has to do with this thread.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ke...rd-onstage-with-him-at-concert-read-op.44150/

The lyric is anti Semitic. Just because it's a "positive" stereotype doesn't mean it's not. This stereotype has caused lots of issues for Jewish people in the past.

https://www.jweekly.com/2013/04/12/...he-history-the-reality-jccsf-series-explores/

There's a lot of people in that thread you linked defending the use of the word in that context.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
People are really missing the point - "positive stereotype" ....lol. Plenty of Jews are poor and grew up under the subpar circumstances.
Wonder how these persons feel when the whole world thinks they are supposed to be so smart and good with the money, yet they cant afford a roof over their head. Or when people think they have to be extra cautious when working with Jews in business deals.

Same with fetishes in in relationship or sex life....you know ..once you go black etc. builds up some crazy expectations, resulting in some persons only looking for some black dude to fulfill a fantasy.

As an outsider is always easy to only see the positive connections to stereotypes, but its usually a two way street.

PS. And even if it was offensive to every non-jew int he world - it doesnt matter as long as some Jews have an issue with it. Its not really our place to decide what terms/stereotypes are justified since we are not the ones having to live with them.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Funny all the people here so tolerant of their NBA sports people celebrities and not people who dedicate their entire lives towards freedom for oppressed people in actual life. Its a joke.

Maybe i'm just too cynical of hollow celebrity factor playing into biased views these days
You might actually want to look up LeBron's track record on social issues.

There's a reason he's getting the benefit of the doubt here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is as dumb as a white person saying "I want my kid to be good at math like those Asians! Why are you mad? It's a compliment!"

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You might actually want to look up LeBron's track record on social issues.

There's a reason he's getting the benefit of the doubt here.

Again, a great track record doesnt stop the rush of demonization for others when they are intentionally represented, never mind just plain fuck up. That primarily was my issue, but i also acknowledge that's not the barometer that others follow and im the odd one out

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is as dumb as a white person saying "I want my kid to be good at math like those Asians! Why are you mad? It's a compliment!"

Pretty much.
Again, a great track record doesnt stop the rush of demonization for others when they are intentionally represented, never mind just plain fuck up. That primarily was my issue, but i also acknowledge that's not the barometer that others follow and im the odd one out
Are you saying that LBJ hasnt done anything in his life for oppressed people ? One mistake, he owned up to doesnt destroy his past actions and legacy.

We should be happy that someone on the level of LBJ even brought it up, because it put the spotlight on the issue and exposed many people that think, that there is nothing wrong with such stereotypes and phrases.

Sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn from them.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Are you saying that LBJ hasnt done anything in his life for oppressed people ? One mistake, he owned up to doesnt destroy his past actions and legacy.

I didnt say anything of the sort. I said other people can have a great track record of social justice advocacy and not get the same rush of defense, and my main point was saying that it should be consistent. My original post was not really about demonizing lebron james and more about a critique of things not being consistent for other people who are not celebrities or people with a huge mulitmillion dollar brand.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt say anything of the sort. I said other people can have a great track record of social justice advocacy and not get the same rush of defense, and my main point was saying that it should be consistent. My original post was not really about demonizing lebron james and more about a critique of things not being consistent for other people who are not celebrities or people with a huge mulitmillion dollar brand.
I mean this thread is about LBJ and his apology. Every person is different - expecting the same responses and feedback regardless of the person and there past seems unrealistic.

Especially since he already owned up to the mistake - it would be different if he had tried to downplay it first, only to come back later after an bigger backlash.

Doubt anyone cares how rich LBJ is, people judge him on his past statements and actions. If you are a public person people will just know more about you and likely already have an opinion of you. Thats just how it is.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
I cant believe people keep talking about LeBrons track record, as if his PC PR team means much. Plenty of people with what looked like smooth track records that have been accused of some pretty shitty things recently.

This isnt the biggest thing in the world, it isnt even close but stop defending his ass. It was a racist remark, dudes a grown ass man hitting mid 30s, how TF is he not going to know that posting that while not only lip synching it but also WRITING IT RIGHT IN HIS VIDEO is stupid as hell. People are right, dude is a smart, savvy individual so he should know way better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot of people in that thread you linked defending the use of the word in that context.

You said people don't even care when nonblacks quote the nword. I linked that thread to show you that people do care. There's a mod warning on the front page of that thread saying it's unacceptable.

Or is your point that it's ok for rappers to use anti Semitic lyrics because white people use the N word when quoting rap lyrics? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yeah I don't think many rappers know this is an anti-Semitic stereotype.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
How many people with Jew money have a statue of crowns in their backyard ?

2uyk29j.jpg

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said people don't even care when nonblacks quote the nword. I linked that thread to show you that people do care. There's a mod warning on the front page of that thread saying it's unacceptable.

Or is your point that it's ok for rappers to use anti Semitic lyrics because white people use the N word when quoting rap lyrics? Two wrongs don't make a right.
You wanna pick a fight when you can just look at what I responded to and get your answer. I ain't got the time for this

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Downplaying antisemitism.
The song bangs, no need to apologize quoting from it

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You wanna pick a fight when you can just look at what I responded to and get your answer. I ain't got the time for this

Here's the post you responded to. So yeah I got my answer. Anyone on the "defense force" for it being ok for white people to quote the N word got banned and mods posting a response saying it wasn't acceptable.

That's not the case here and several posters in this thread including yourself say these anti Semitic lyrics are fine.

Oct 27, 2017

Hah yeah pretty much. Its like the black guys have massive dicks stereotype. Technically a "good" stereotype, but
with harmful affects.

People are quite selective in what they want to be liberal about.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

The last time someone with a good liberal track record was exposed in any way of saying or doing something offensive it was James Gunn and the Guardians of the Galaxy shit. Disney fired him and this whole place defended him because of his obvious record and him apologizing so no....

You are full of shit.