• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's insane how ingrained aspects of antisemitism are to the point where quite a few people are having to ask questions like this. No disrespect to you, you're being genuine here. Just commenting on how normalized this stereotype is.
That's my biggest takeaway from this as well. A good chance for folks to educate themselves on Jewish history and harmful "positive" stereotypes, if they're receptive to it. But there's been enough pushback, ignorance and claims of oversensitiveness that it's also a good reminder of what it means to be a Jew in a world that has fetishized or hated us for most of our existence, and just how difficult those stereotypes and misconceptions are to break.

Oct 27, 2017
When Jewish people have literally been killed because of the stereotype, yes, it's a problem.

You know how Trump and co like to blame the "Immigrants" for stealing your jobs? The same sort of shit has been thrown at Jewish people instead, just with the class implications flipped so that it's "evil minority bankers stealing your money" instead of "evil minority workers stealing your jobs."
How does that tie into what he quoted?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I am not, like the other poster is saying, maybe it's internalized racism, that's why I asked for alternate perspectives.

It's insane how ingrained aspects of antisemitism are to the point where quite a few people are having to ask questions like this. No disrespect to you, you're being genuine here. Just commenting on how normalized this stereotype is.

It's funny because when story of OJ came out I felt similarly that the line was racist, but I was convinced the other way that it wasn't, I forget the argument though.

Sorry if I didn't respond to some people this isn't a drive by, I'm just outside atm

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad it happened, but this situation is how this stuff should work. Person makes insensitive reference, a group explains why it is bad for them, person apologizes and won't let it happen again. It's over and done with and everyone comes out better.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
I'll give LeBron a pass on it, even though his apology is kinda weak. He realized in hindsight it was a mistake and owned up to it.

I'm more concerned that so many in this thread don't see the issue in what he said

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand why people don't see that the line is offensive. It has a history in really racist thought. I'm glad that Lebron apologized immediately. But to me, his track record is intact. Anyone trying to go to war with Lebron who liked a lyric out of ignorance gets all the side eye.
It's because stereotypes are a lot more easily internalized than history, which few tend to read.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Lebron is undraggable people, I know some of you are filled with glee at a " legit" chance to tear him down but he has proven off the court his whole life that he's a solid person. What more do you want

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's funny because when story of OJ came out I felt similarly that the line was racist, but I was convinced the other way that it wasn't, I forget the argument though.

Sorry if I didn't respond to some people this isn't a drive by, I'm just outside atm
If anything I think the Story of OJ is worse because Jay straight up said "Jewish people own all the property in America" in a serious song about wealth and financial management rather than it just being a throwaway line about getting rich.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm still not understanding why 21 Savage isn't getting the heat and LeBron is.

Tbqh I doubt this would be a story if nobody famous recited the lyric

Lebron is a role model, rap is rap. Same reason why people can still say faggot and they'll get maybe an hour or two of social media blowback ( unless you're Eminem then it's ok GOAT). Or why Tekashi can drop n-bombs. Rap gets away with pretty much anything, and if we're being honest that lyric is tame as hell considering some stuff people rap about

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Lebron is a role model, rap is rap. Same reason why people can still say faggot and they'll get maybe an hour or two of social media blowback ( unless you're Eminem then it's ok GOAT). Or why Tekashi can drop n-bombs. Rap gets away with pretty much anything, and if we're being honest that lyric is tame as hell considering some stuff people rap about
Honestly I kinda knew the answer, but rap being given carte blanche to do and say whatever is weird to me

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): dismissing antisemitism
Uh my perspective may be off but I don't see what is stereotyping in the lyrics quoted. It's some wordplay with "everything is kosher"

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason why we're more willing to forgive LeBron than we would be other people who said the same thing. As others have mentioned in this thread, LeBron has a track record of being an upstanding person who is sensitive to social issues. It's not as if he has a history of antisemitism, or even of indifference. For the most part, he's been putting forth effort to make positive changes in society. If Alex Jones said what LeBron said, of course you'd be seeing more ire from users on this site. But knowing who LeBron is, I think he's earned some leeway. Context always matters.
Has LeBron been sensitive (or insensitive) to Jewish social issues before? You don't get a straight pass for every transgression just because you're woke and activist for your own group. I don't believe LeBron meant to promulgate anti-semitic slurs, and probably did think it was complimentary, and his apology is sincere (beyond the mealy "if anyone was offended"; just say I'm sorry!). There's no need for official fines or casting him aside. He's no Alice Walker (do an Era thread title search for Alice Walker for a good thread discussion about that).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I kinda knew the answer, but rap being given carte blanche to do and say whatever is weird to me
I think it's more that 21 in particular has very little crossover appeal and this is from a non-single track on an album that just dropped. If Drake or Ye or Cardi said it on a big track there would be more controversy

Wow people are not happy about his comment about the NFL if this is the best they can dig up...
This happened two days ago on his Instragram, nothing is being "dug up"

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocking to see people on this forum defend anti Semitic comments because they like the person who said them.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
Judging by his past and everything he's done, I got to give LeBron the benefit of the doubt that he might no harm by it. But at the same time, you'd think he be more aware about the lyrics.

Lastly, i question why LeBron felt the need to quote that line, it's pretty weak lol. His rap taste is probably terrible.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I do not believe he intended any harm and he apologized. It's still offensive to a lot of people. Lebron should probably know better.

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lebron is not antisemitic guys. Biggest example is that he apologized for this before it even became q news story.

The fact that hs apologized is the news story. He has always been a champion of minorities rights and social injustice. Making him the enemy or thinking he's part of the problem is ignorant of everything he's done and what he's trying fo do. He's an sjw in purest form

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
21 is cool, he performed at a bar mitzvah. anyway I'm not offended, it's a corny line and I like the song.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I was tempted to make a thread about this specific lyrics the other day, to see how people viewed it. I didn't expect this thread to be about that exact lyric.

It feels anti-semitic to me because the "Jewish money" stereotype is usually used in a bigoted "Jews run the world and that's a problem" sense from Nazis and those on the alt-right.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like a lot of antisemitic stereotypes have become so ingrained that most people just take then for granted. In this case by lebron and probably the rapper they dont think jews are conttolling all the money in the world but thats where it comes from

But there certainly needs to be conversation about stereotypes that dont explicitly denigrate people

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): dismissing antisemitism
I was tempted to make a thread about this specific lyrics the other day, to see how people viewed it. I didn't expect this thread to be about that exact lyric.

It feels anti-semitic to me because the "Jewish money" stereotype is usually used in a bigoted "Jews run the world and that's a problem" sense from Nazis and those on the alt-right.

Its not Jewish money becuase there's a lot of it, it's Jewish because it's kosher, which to my understanding means its legitimately made instead of hustled or something.

Oct 25, 2017
His apology wasnt really an apology, it was more of "its your fault you're offended, not mine"

Jewish people being associated with money is in the same vein of black men having massive dicks or Asians being exceptional at school, we don't bat an eye to it because it's seen as a "positive" stereotype

Its not Jewish money becuase there's a lot of it, it's Jewish because it's kosher, which to my understanding means its legitimately made instead of hustled or something.
No, it's because there's the underlying belief that many executives who own businesses and control media are Jewish, which has its less harmful and incredibly harmful interpretations

They're not necessarily anti-semitic, but "Jewish money" being what 21 and other rappers jump to when making an analogy for how much money they have is problematic

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ok I'm aware of what they're talking about here with the ideal that the Jewish cabal runs everything. That's a conspiracy theory and racist.

But what I thought the line was referring to was more along the lines of this:

huh?

Ok before we go any further, let's look at what was actually said. He referred to "Jewish money" in the sense that Jewish people (really thinking Jewish-Americans in this) are one of the most financially successful ethnic groups. It's not some (((gLoBaLiSt))) conspiracy bullshit. Literally, all the line is saying is he wants to get a lot of money.

jmLaxUc.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/11/how-income-varies-among-u-s-religious-groups/

Stereotypes, even seemingly positive ones, lead to prejudice and marginalization.

Ex:

Black people are better athletes.

There's always an Asian out there who can do it better than you.

Etc.

Right, and I understand how damaging those stereotypes are. However there's nuance between your examples and what the lyric actually is. The version parallel to your examples would be "All Jews are wealthy" but the lyric is "We getting that Jewish money."

What you've posted are stereotypes which broadly paint an entire group as certainly exhibiting that kind of behavior, which is obviously problematic.

But consider the following sentences:

"The majority of NBA and NFL professional athletes are black"

"The majority of STEM students are Asian"

Here's where you can educate me if I'm in the wrong, but aren't these just facts? The same way

"Jewish people are one of the most financial successful ethnic groups"

would be?

I think a parallel would be a lyric like "getting that Asian education" in reference to getting a STEM degree or something. Feel free to give me your opinion on if this is a problematic line or not. Overall I guess its whatever meaning 21 had envisioned when he was writing it. If he was thinking about the global jewish elite then yeah probably not so kosher. If he was just referring to Jewish people being statistically wealthy I don't think he had a racist intention.

Yeah. I would personally think I'm not racist, but I know there are lots of internalized things I need to confront when I see and think about them. That's a big reason of why enjoy browsing Era, which always challenges me to grow as a person.

If anything I think the Story of OJ is worse because Jay straight up said "Jewish people own all the property in America" in a serious song about wealth and financial management rather than it just being a throwaway line about getting rich.

That's how I took that line at first too, I was like damn, that's some conspiracy shit. I really wish I could give you the argument someone gave me but it was on the old place. I think it was something along the lines of "Jay-Z isn't talking to you, he's talking to other black people, and trying to be a role model for them and inspire them, so the connotation of racism isn't there." I'm butchering it hardcore though.

Oct 27, 2017
His apology wasnt really an apology, it was more of "its your fault you're offended, not mine"

Jewish people being associated with money is in the same vein of black men having massive dicks or Asians being exceptional at school, we don't bat an eye to it because it's seen as a "positive" stereotype

No, it's because there's the underlying belief that many executives who own businesses and control media are Jewish, which has its less harmful and incredibly harmful interpretations

They're not necessarily anti-semitic, but "Jewish money" being what 21 and other rappers jump to when making an analogy for how much money they have is problematic
If that's the case it's kinda ironic, you know? Hip hop culture, which generally emphasizes material wealth as a sign of success taking a harmful stereotype and framing it as admirable.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
"Sorry if I offended anyone". Shut up, Lebron.
Kinda wack apology imo
It's not "nothing." He absolutely should have apologized. If we can come at PewDiePie for recommending anti-semitic YouTube channels we should come at LeBron for hyping anti-semitic lyrics.
The full apology isn't as insincere as you guys make it out to be.

It is also Lebron James we are talking about here. Not any other celebrity that has said wild shit in their Twitter history or said nigga that one time. He has used his platform multiple times to talk about injustice or racism and has been a target in a couple conservative circles for speaking out.

And in that regard, it is a big nothing burger. I think it would have been problematic if he declined to comment on it or deny it being anti-Semitic.

Considering who he is, it's baffling that he never considered at all the ramifications of what he was promoting. Like how could you not see the problem with those lyrics? Hopefully it's a learning experience and that he understands that stereotypes of any kind hurt.
Not every good person is going to catch positive stereotypes as actual bad things to say too. People can sometimes make mistakes. Like I said above, it would have been an issue if he just thought it was okay to say and declined to apologize.

he should apologize for listening to 21 savage

get some taste
Spoken like someone who doesn't listen to rap a lot lol

Last edited:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Considering who he is, it's baffling that he never considered at all the ramifications of what he was promoting. Like how could you not see the problem with those lyrics? Hopefully it's a learning experience and that he understands that stereotypes of any kind hurt.

It's very easy to overlook because it is a "positive" stereotype, and quite frequently used throughout media.

People are slowly starting to wake up to the negative effects of those type of stereotypes though and it's good he apologized for the usage.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like LeBron has earned some slack here, though the apology he issued is about 3 separate flavors of bad.

IMO accepting it but using the opportunity to educate people on why it's a hurtful stereotype is the right way to go about things, which... seems to be what people are doing, so that's good.