• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am fine with all of the FF9 designs. They all have very unique silhouettes and there is a lot of world detail and creative thematic inspiration coming out in all of them. It helps that the world is very heightened and fantastical, with an almost cel animated toon-like approach to art direction.

Now, FF10 outfits? God, ew. It's bizarre that Kimahri is the most well dressed character in the entire game. FF10/10-2 as a whole are basically a gigantic death star laser beaming towards the entire concept of fashion. There are so many bad ones it is hard to pick just one.

Oct 28, 2017
I would say most characters designed by Nomura in the 2000's and up but this one might be the absolute worst
o8Kjfgx.png

50e62570009076a5bafc07cf4d6412fd.jpg

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Couldn't even give her a propper skirt.
Here have this piece of red cloth.

latest
Can you imagine laying out this outfit as what you're going to wear that day?

"Hmm, weather's looking alright. Here's 80 non-descript pieces of fabric and and armor that could be rearranged in 1000 different ways and no one would be able to reasonably tell what's incorrect. Ah, my favorite denim... not-pants."

This thread is a collection of nightmares.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Lulu was my first thought on clicking the thread.. but then I was reminded of Eiko and I can't see it being a different answer.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's Ashe. A friend and I came to this conclusion after running through most of the FF roster not long ago.

I cannot even imagine how uncomfortable wearing something like that getup would be.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, I can't see anything past the giant pizza cutter. Remove that and the outfit isn't that bad, especially compared to some other monstrosities.
You+are+like+a+baby+watch+this+_2cad5198f79ac447022164c0b8a0eeff.jpg

latest

I mean there are so many, some already listed, but I always hated the belt dress. Impossible to move in, extremely heavy but enough gap to show thiigh and stockings. It's awful.
I fucking love the belt dress. It shouldn't work, but it just does for some reason. It's so perfectly stupid.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing to me that Nomura can make the BEST character designs ever, but also the worst.

alcheim

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
For some reason, I always imagined that green wrap on Luso's lower half were pieces of over-sized lettuce.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zidane and Eiko are pretty bad. Ashe is just insulting. X's designs are bad but I don't mind most of them for some reason.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
People listing FF15 really makes my brain boggle. Like, in a series with such stand outs as Nooj, Tidus, FFTA2 pizza cutter and so many more. You pick the characters who could actually wear their outfits in real life and not be commented on.

Like, I really don't want to stereotype but it's four good looking guys in fairly normal clothes you could go out and buy today. Compared to 'bunny tit fetish armour' and 'child showing off her genitals'. How on *earth* could they possibly be the worst outfits of the series?

The thing is, they're meant to be fantasy princes and courtiers, but look like they're four douchebros from 2001 on their way to a Limp Bizkit concert. One of them even has tribal tattoos for god's sake. The others are ridiculous, but at least they're trying for some sort of visual flair however misguided. These four commit the far greater crime of being incredibly boring and basic.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Fuck me, I came into this thread thinking maybe Tidus or Zidane but nope, their designs are conservative and plain compared to some of the stuff being posted in here. What were they thinking with some of these.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Like, I really don't want to stereotype but it's four good looking guys in fairly normal clothes you could go out and buy today. Compared to 'bunny tit fetish armour' and 'child showing off her genitals'. How on *earth* could they possibly be the worst outfits of the series?

I agree that they don't technically fit the thread that's about "least aesthetically pleasing", however I also think that they're the most boring and bland main team designs in FF. I'll take Tidus' ugly shorts, Ashe's skort and Lulu's belt dress over those any day of the week.

That being said, Eiko's probably the winner here. Can't look at her without wincing, seems like looking at a naked child.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, I can't see anything past the giant pizza cutter. Remove that and the outfit isn't that bad, especially compared to some other monstrosities.

The problem with Luso's design is that it isn't "that bad"... it's everything. There is no consistency. It tries to be and have everything at the same time, but there's little rhyme or reason to it. I get that it may try to evoke the game mechanic of Luso being able to change jobs... but nothing from the elements that make up the design tells my anything about those jobs.

Because Pizza Chef is not a FFTA2 job.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I didn't know some FFIX character designs were hated, I've always liked them.
I've also always wondered if they were based on Amano art or if Amano based his artworks for the game on them.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the FFXV bros looking like real life young adults was the whole point. The outside of Insomnia palace is modeled after the Tokyo city hall

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Some exceptions aside (Eiko, Kuja...), FF IX designs I think look great in both concept art and in-engine:
3975a35ec3e27a5aaf126b9d76d054cf.jpg

When I say in-engine, I mean the OG FF IX, as the port kinda fucks up some things, like Zidane's face and hair (seems like S-E can't help it, :criesinSquall:):
ac8202109c184551d698b13052559506.jpg
final-fantasy-ix-2.jpg

It's in CG form where they look bad. The ruggedness and shadowing the concept art's lineart and the 3D PSX graphics have are key. They look weird when very high-res and smooth, making their SD features (Zidane's hair, for instance) stand out in a bad way. One of the maaany reasons I don't want a remake of IX: I don't think they'd reach an aesthetic I'd like (I don't like Dissidia Zidane, for example).

And, while Amano's interpretation of the party is great, it'd feel weird having such realistic depictions of the cast.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know some FFIX character designs were hated, I've always liked them.
I've also always wondered if they were based on Amano art or if Amano based his artworks for the game on them.
Amano is a promotional artist for FF. He never actually "creates" the characters, but does his interpretation of preliminary designs created by Square's in-house artists.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Nooj with his 8-foot,-long crooked column of hair and full-body tights, belts!, and completely normal-looking face to contrast. A chimera of Nomura's weirdest designs. I feel like this design was rushed out. Even his cane is in the design of a question mark!

Also, goddamn. FF12 the thread!! What is everyone even wearing, lol. FF12 was dangerously close to being rated M.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Reading through this thread I realize how many godawful outfits FF has. Lulus belt dress is not one of them though, that one's super rad.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly?

Almost every design in FF is bad after 9 came out. It is like they started trying to top their worst designs every time.

I am really glad FF 16 is toning things down it seems. I am really excited for it and one of the reasons is the more "grounded" look.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
The thing is, they're meant to be fantasy princes and courtiers, but look like they're four douchebros from 2001 on their way to a Limp Bizkit concert. One of them even has tribal tattoos for god's sake. The others are ridiculous, but at least they're trying for some sort of visual flair however misguided. These four commit the far greater crime of being incredibly boring and basic.

My beef with the aesthetic of the game is that the main characters are all anime but then they went for a bit more realistic looking generic NPC for everything else, including their clothing. It's a clear clash with them.

I will take the more generic clothing options over the abominations you see posted in this thread. There's a lot of designs that belong on some conceptual runway show as they don't make sense as something an adventurer would use. The designers just kept adding stuff until they are incredibly ugly. It's entirely possible to do fantasy costumes that look like it yet also have considerations for the practicality of them. Hint: they never involve bikinis worn over shorts.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You people keep mentioning Tidus and Lulu when these exist:
latest
dona_ffx.jpg

Sure they are not main characters but you do see them a few times. Oh and one is a Knight Captain and the other a Summoner.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I personally think Rydia looks shit and questionable.

The sprite and portrait were fine but then she got these proper renders and I never thought it was supposed to look like sexy tinkerbell and I think she's supposed to be like 16?

latest

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think Rydia looks shit and questionable.

The sprite and portrait were fine but then she got these proper renders and I never thought it was supposed to look like sexy tinkerbell and I think she's supposed to be like 16?

latest
What? No, she's 20.

She's 16 in World of FF, which is a non-canonical, alternate continuity (like Kingdom Hearts).

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
not my picture but some of the lower level gear in 14 around level 25-35 or so is goofy looking pretty much this but for hands add oven mittens lol.
Q8QMbKT.jpg

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Pretty much all of them are awful in ways. I loathe Noctis' outfit though. It's just awful in every single way.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
People listing FF15 really makes my brain boggle. Like, in a series with such stand outs as Nooj, Tidus, FFTA2 pizza cutter and so many more. You pick the characters who could actually wear their outfits in real life and not be commented on.

This was my thought as well. In a world where the entire casts (playable or otherwise) of FFIX, FFX, and FFX-2 exist, some are choosing to nominate some of the least visually offensive character designs throughout the entire series.

Now if people start saying Cindy has a terrible design, then yeah, go for it. Especially considering the defense of her design was that it was meant to be "energetic" and not "sexy".