• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 is full of such ugly redesigns.

It has the worst character design and art direction of the series by far.
That sure is a take, lmao.

You're literally the first person I read that didn't like the AK redesign. Every single one of the S2-3-4 redesigns is amazing.
As for the vanilla game, they're mostly good but they all have their old costumes too so whatever.

Last edited:

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017
MK's joke character.

xj4ULSl.jpg

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
this is basically the OPPOSITE of what is happening with every woman in Strive 🤷 (except maybe giovanna's cleavage)

latest

latest

latest

i mean, even the most underclothed character is getting more covering this game. (i mean i won't deny or excuse ram for her design)

Strive's women are arguably going to be overall some of the most covered up women in fighting games. (also important to note they don't get cheesecakey DLC outfits like SFV and DOA)
I feel like there's an attempt to make GG's characters more palatable for general audiences with Strive, both men and women. Like Leo and Ky definitely looks more normal.

guilty-gear-xrd-ky-kiske-sol-badguy-png-favpng-yA7k1vdJz4j0n5GSXEX0vXn9D.jpg

latest

a6fd80555a1a7763bb622b7cb1060f03.png

latest

Also seems like they've made a conscious effort to tone down the crazy looking hair in these characters hah.

d7afcfb11f29cf29cc426bc44eae831c.png

latest

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everyone in Eternal Champions

Also the weirdly proportioned, bug eyed art style in Street Fighter 4 made it VERY hard to like any of the designs.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in Eternal Champions
Eternal Champions is an ideal dormant franchise that could be successfully rebooted and reimagined to modern sensibilities without fan's crying about it. LOL

It's a shame Sega wants nothing to do with it. Would love to see a Japanese take on the IP.

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Abigail was already mentioned but still: Abigail

Honestly my least favorite mainline SF character. Total dud.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
With Arcsys, I think most of the designs are pretty great, but the art for them gets iffy. Like the Chipp example. Fine design in all the games until Strife which is
this is basically the OPPOSITE of what is happening with every woman in Strive 🤷 (except maybe giovanna's cleavage)

latest

latest

latest

i mean, even the most underclothed character is getting more covering this game. (i mean i won't deny or excuse ram for her design)

Strive's women are arguably going to be overall some of the most covered up women in fighting games. (also important to note they don't get cheesecakey DLC outfits like SFV and DOA)

Strive has really weird uneven art. Some characters look more realistic/normal/non-fanservice like Milla & Giovanna but then you get weird angle/proportion/wtf stuff like May and Chipp.

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot, and fighting games seem to be getting uglier all the time unfortunately.

Since I don't think anyone has mentioned it, the characters in Nidhogg 2 were pretty gnarly. Actually kept me from buying the game.

Nidhogg23.jpg

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Voldo, come on.

Voldo.png

If you're not sure, the normal reaction to this is "ewwwww".

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Everyone in Street Fighter (EX)4 and (EX)5, especially the new characters. Hideous games top to bottom. 4 was a poorly modelled poorly animated mess, 5 much improved the tech and animation, but has the disgusting bloated cartoon character claymation look, gross. It 'looks like nothing else' for a reason, nothing else would want to look like that.

Mortal Kombat is a pretty awful looking series as a whole too, tacky, trashy, poorly animated and gross, old or new era, with the odd exception.

I agree with literally every example posted. Amazing thread
Yep, I think I almost do too.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Genan from SamSho. Excluding the final boss, Genan remains the only character they haven't brought back from the original into the Samsho revival.

Feb 15, 2019
I also almost forgot to drop in the obligatory

0xIahZT.jpeg

Man if anything about mvci was great it was the jokes. People made fun of that game so much in so many different ways.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I'll give silly character designs a pass if the game itself has some charm...

this is why tekken has the worst designed fighters. tekken is so ugly to look at and has no charm

look at the COOLEST MC EVER OMG even has a cool name!!

Jin_Kazama_%28T7%29.png

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Well... at first i was shure, there are some ugly ones... and thought "maybe necrid from Soul Calibur 2"...
But honestly, looking at the pictures in this thread... Fighting games where a mistake.... so many ugly designs

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm not a big Tekken fan so I didn't wanna piss anybody off with my opinion that something happened to Namco's character designs post-PS2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Looking in from the outside, Tekken character designs from roughly T1-T5 look downright fashionable. You could legitimately get away with dressing like Tekken 3 King these days. I don't know what happened when they went to HD. Same thing with Soul Calibur too (which I do play a lot).
I'm in total agreement. It's mainly the reason I fell off of the series.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skullgirls right now would have been the greatest fighting game of all time.

But they chose that artstyle and character designs, so no it isn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Marie Rose is probably the worst of the worst. The perfect embodiment of the "barely legal" trope gone horribly wrong. I'm not posting a pic because I don't want to be put on a list.

G from SFV. So tacky it hurts. His dialogue is just as bad as his design too.
These two aren't fair because they're supposed to be weird. It's like being mad that Devil Jin is edgy, like yeah that's the point.
Tekken 7 is full of such ugly redesigns.

It has the worst character design and art direction of the series by far.

latest
As somebody who thinks at least half of T7's designs are complete duds at best, I actually really like AK's redesign. It's a showy heel that takes a more WWE approach to the design.
Thank goodness this game was cancelled.

815800-group.jpg

Like, what?

815813-imp.gif
Was literally thinking of this game as I read your post. Definitely some... polarizing designs to say the least.

Deleted member 75954

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 24, 2020
How has nobody mentioned Kusaregedo yet?

Also, I wanted to try out Killer Instinct because I've heard great things about this but the character design is all kinds of ass.

Both Tekken and Soul Calibur feel like they had a shoestring budget as well, and they look bad on my Oled, specially Tekken.

Wat, SC6 looks amazing graphically, wdym