• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
But coming into a thread with the OP being a newbie interested in programming, it's really not useful saying everything else than computer architecture and mathematics is trivial and not interesting.
As someone who has worked 20+ years as a programmer, what I wrote is what I wish someone had told me at the outset. I was interested enough in architecture that I had the first part covered , but I stopped at ODEs in mathematics and it's been by far the most difficult deficiency in my ability to tackle problems. Recommending people focus on any particular "framework 'du jour'" leads to superficial understanding and weak problem solving.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Well TypeScript is just type-annotated JavaScript.
Sure, but like C++ in some regards if it becomes more ubiquitous then people will eventually stop learning / keeping up with JS. We don't tell people to learn C anymore for a reason.

As someone who has worked 20+ years as a programmer, what I wrote is what I wish someone had told me at the outset. I was interested enough in architecture that I had the first part covered , but I stopped at ODEs in mathematics and it's been by far the most difficult deficiency in my ability to tackle problems. Recommending people focus on any particular "framework 'du jour'" leads to superficial understanding and weak problem solving.
I agree that learning software architecture early on is way more helpful than learning a million languages / frameworks, but you still have to use a language / framework to implement what you learn. It might be better to just say focus on one language and jump to architecture.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I agree that learning software architecture early on is way more helpful than learning a million languages / frameworks, but you still have to use a language / framework to implement what you learn. It might be better to just say focus on one language and jump to architecture.
Sure, focus on the things that matter. When we're evaluating candidates we aren't interested in an enumeration of languages or frameworks, we're interested in the types of problems they're solving. Unless they're actually writing their own domain-specific language to solve a particular problem, then it gets more compelling...

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I wanted to learn a programming language and chose C#. The primary motivator was to come up with solutions to problems and workflows I was encountering. So mostly to help others.
Thankfully, since the syntax is very similar to JavaScript, I know a bit of JavaScript as well.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Also read about React And Angular, just to give you a idea for future thecnology that you could incorporate for web design. There also Ruby i'm not super fan about the future of that product (still pretty strong but i'm still not sure).

Angular is great if you're trying to convince yourself to give it all up.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I wanted to learn a programming language and chose C#. The primary motivator was to come up with solutions to problems and workflows I was encountering. So mostly to help others.
Thankfully, since the syntax is very similar to JavaScript, I know a bit of JavaScript as well.
I do miss all of the libraries and ecosystem from C#. I agree that's a good language to jump to from JS.

TS is JS. Literally same language.
I was under the impression TS is a superset that compiles down to JS.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I was under the impression TS is a superset that compiles down to JS.
Yes. But what that means is any existing JS app is already a TS app. If you know JavaScript you'll be able to pick up TypeScript. If you know TypeScript, you know Javascript. You're not making an exclusive commitment to one when you pick up the other.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
TS is JS. Literally same language.

To be pedantic (and even though the TypeScript web site says it is), TypeScript is not a superset of JavaScript because some code that is valid in JavaScript won't compile in TypeScript.

For instance:

JavaScript:
let myString = 'hello';
myString = 4;

is valid JavaScript but not valid TypeScript.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Don't learn to code. Learn to program. Learn to solve problems using code.

Learning to code is nowhere close enough to being a good programmer. And all these guys going to code schools and bootcamps wont become programmers. Find some exercises on data structures and algorithms and work on them on your own, until your brain hurts every time.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
To be pedantic (and even though the TypeScript web site says it is), TypeScript is not a superset of JavaScript because some code that is valid in JavaScript won't compile in TypeScript.

For instance:

JavaScript:
let myString = 'hello';
myString = 4;

is valid JavaScript but not valid TypeScript.
I don't think that makes it not a superset. It's JavaScript with optional static type checking. If your JavaScript app did something like your example, you just slap "any" on it and you've got valid TypeScript.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't neglect tests. If you think programming is a career you'd be interested in, make test driven development your oeuvre. It will set you apart and make many lives easier, including your own.

Holy shit this too much. Recently, and after 4 years of working in a business intelligence role, I got my first work as software developer, so even if I feel competent about my programming skills, my code habits and practice are quite... unrefined. In just 3 weeks I learn Ruby and TDD and I think the latter is pretty amazing, even more than learn a Ruby imho (I knew Python before so it feels almost like home) . My boss/teacher is always saying how important the tests are because it give you confidence in your skill and ease refactor your code.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that makes it not a superset. It's JavaScript with optional static type checking. If your JavaScript app did something like your example, you just slap "any" on it and you've got valid TypeScript.

I'm pretty sure you can just use @ts-ignore to allow that line as well. TS is a superset.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
So perhaps slightly tangential question:

I currently have the opportunity to learn SQL / Visual Basic / Power BI as a part of my job (currently a semi-closeted coding aspirant, job is in Sales though). Also SAP. If it wasn't clear this would be very business (manufacturing) focused applications EDIT: and just to re-clarify, when I say "learn" I mean learn in-so-far as it relates to what my company is trying to do.

My question is, will the things that I am being offered the opportunity to learn through my job give me any kind of universally applicable knowledge that might also be applicable in fields that I would find more interesting than manufacturing, or would I be going down a dead end with these specific skills?

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
SQL is a universal skill that every coder should have some familiarity with.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree with this. It's also really helpful for interviews when you don't have professional experience.

Push yourself as much as you can in your course if there is a project component. Don't do the bare minimum.
Do you have any recommendations for Java + Jquery classes or tutorials that teach you the basics and works on a project simultaneously?

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

I can understand that but when you're talking in Internet where there are many people interested in coding, you should be careful with your language. Using absolutist language like in your first post doesn't help anyone and it can easily scare people away from the field, people who might well some day become excellent developers. I know when I was starting out, the mathematics part was one thing I was quite worried about (I used to like it as a kid but in high school did only the minimum amount and by the time I got into the field of software development in my adult age, I felt like I hardly remembered any basic mathematics) but now I have a master's degree in computer science and I'm a team lead in an excellent company.

Besides, there's a huge amount of room between telling someone to focus on computer architecture and mathematics, and telling someone to focus on any particular framework of the day.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, what company is using Visual Basic? I haven't seen that language since high school
I'm doing software development at college and we're being taught it for one of the classes to make Windows forms apps, I was as surprised as you are. It's a pain in the ass trying to find good, comprehensive learning resources for it since there basically are none compared to other languages. Plus I've got a Mac so it meant I had to install Windows just to code in Visual Basic at home.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I'm trying to switch careers from graphic design to something in the web realm but i'm not sure in which direction I should go. Maybe you guys can help a bit?

I know CSS and HTML I've taken programming courses and understand the basic concepts although I'm not good at coding and don't really know any languages.

i'm thinking front end design, i'm tired of being broke haha , i'm also 40 years old but pretty tech savvy and I learn fast, maybe not as fast as I used to but the brain is still working so I feel like I could become successful at it.

Thanks for any input.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, what company is using Visual Basic? I haven't seen that language since high school

Mine is currently doing a conversion from VB to C#. VB hurts me to look at. I'm fortunate enough I don't have to look at it too much.
I'm trying to switch careers from graphic design to something in the web realm but i'm not sure in which direction I should go. Maybe you guys can help a bit?

I know CSS and HTML I've taken programming courses and understand the basic concepts although I'm not good at coding and don't really know any languages.

i'm thinking front end design, i'm tired of being broke haha , i'm also 40 years old but pretty tech savvy and I learn fast, maybe not as fast as I used to but the brain is still working so I feel like I could become successful at it.

Thanks for any input.
Look at the front end technologies companies in your area are using. Could be React or Angular. See which pays better. Try one of them out. There may be a CSS framework in vogue for your area. Try to integrate it in a project.

Then rebuild that project using plain HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Get a feel for how it works under the hood. You'll be better off for it.

Some general thoughts...

Even languages as "simple" as HTML or CSS have immense depth. It can be intimidating to see just how much you don't know when you first start working with these technologies. But that's ok.

In pharmaceuticals, there is the concept of the phase IV trial. This occurs when a drug is released to the general population. It is essentially a post-marketing study: see what works, see if there were oversights, see if there are new patterns that emerge, beneficial or otherwise. The phase IV trial never really ends.

When we release software, we enter our own phase IV trial. There are different names for it. But the concept is similar. We don't expect perfection. We aim for it, but the best we can hope for is an asymptote. Thankfully, the consequences of our oversight are often more easily dealt with and remedied than oversights in other fields.

Don't become marred by dogma, don't become snobby about one particular language or syntax. Don't look down on other people. Don't try to differentiate between "coders" and "programmers." That's a dead end. It's not going to make you any friends, and it will discourage people who may most need encouragement. If you must be a gatekeeper, be a kind one. Writing code is a human endeavor as much as it is a technical one. Getting too wrapped up in your own snobbery hurts the product you're working on, because your tendency to value your own opinions above the community's bleeds into your work, and makes your output more difficult to understand and maintain. Always strive to write code for other people—never yourself. This will be an advantage to you should you ever return to your own old code. You'll be a different person then, too.

There is a lot of simmering anger in the programming community. I think it mostly comes down to frustration at one's own inability to problem solve. People get stuck at a bump in the road and can't find the way around, and they lash out at everyone around them blaming this or that for making them stuck. It becomes an exercise in futility, but that anger somehow buffers ego or self doubt. It feels better if everyone else is the idiot. We have to give more trust. Trust that your peers and forebears did their best, and developed the best solutions they could given their circumstances. It'll make you a more thoughtful programmer, as you'll keep your own privileged knowledge in mind when writing new code, communicating the why behind your current needs to whoever comes after you. It's good practice as a human being, too.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any recommendations for Java + Jquery classes or tutorials that teach you the basics and works on a project simultaneously?
Unfortunately I've never done online classes or tutorials. Other members might be more helpful in that sense!

However, don't be afraid to create your own project after you feel comfortable with some of the basics, especially if it'll give you more motivation by tying it to your interests.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Thanks for any input.
If you're strictly interested in the design side, I don't think you should be focusing on coding at all. All the designers at my company have pretty rudimental CSS skills, but actually create their designs in Sketch, so learning a wireframing tool and might be better suited for you.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
Learn your build tools. This part of front end is so important. It's also very fast paced and changes a lot. Whether is gulp, grunt, yarn or webpack or whatever get good at that shit.

Learn git. It's essential.

Learn about agile and lean

Learn js. Don't bother with jQuery.

Learn a framework like react, Vue or angular.

I've been in this game for over 10years I'll be honest I'm burnt out and i hate it. It's only ever fun when you're working for yourself

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I know things like arrays, functions, loops, conditional statements, etc. But I'm lost at where to go next so I'm considering two options -

1. Go straight into web stuff and learn HTML and CSS so I can then learn JS. And then migrate into other web stacks.
2. Go to C and learn pointers, and then migrate to data structures (linked lists, heaps, hash tables, binary trees, etc) and algorithms (mergesort, quicksort, BFS, etc).

I feel like option 1 would allow me to build more practical things quicker, and could provide a quicker pathway for eventual low level employment, but option 2 would be better in the long term.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Yeah...aren't companies already starting to abandon JS for TS?

Typescript is an enhancement of Javascript which adds static typing and a few other language features. The code transpiles back into Javascript to be run.

Node (or server-side Javascript) isn't going anywhere - it is a fast to develop and highly flexible language. Go is a great alternative choice when you need compiled binaries or a lot of parallel work, though.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017

For 90% of coding out there all you need is basic algebra. If you remember your high school math you've covered like 98% of all coding that is being done in the world. You dont need to have studied differential equations to be able to create a website or work on some business app.

If you think that more math than ODE will allow you to solve problems you're either working on some extremely specific problems, and thus aren't in a position to give advice to someone wanting to go into web dev, or you're completely wrong in how you're trying to learn problem solving.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
Copy paste from Programmers thread. I would really appreciate input.

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask this. I recently lost my job, so I decided to learn a coding language and would appreciate some guidance.

what languag has the best opportunities / learning curve ratio?Any recommendations for tutorials or learning materials?

a bit of background. I'm a BA, MBA and SAP BPC/MM consultant. I worked as a network technician and lastly I was a Project and operations manager, costumer integrations and costumer success in a SaaS startup

I'm a very technically inclined person, I actually studied 2 years of computer science but quit based on a really hard personal times.

I want broaden my skills and have new opportunities in IT.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask this. I recently lost my job, so I decided to learn a coding language and would appreciate some guidance.

what languag has the best opportunities / learning curve ratio?Any recommendations for tutorials or learning materials?

a bit of background. I'm a BA, MBA and SAP BPC/MM consultant. I worked as a network technician and lastly I was a Project and operations manager, costumer integrations and costumer success in a SaaS startup

I'm a very technically inclined person, I actually studied 2 years of computer science but quit based on a really hard personal times.

Personally, working as a full-stack developer for a corporation in Cloud presales, we still use a lot of HTML+CSS+JavaScript/NodeJS, but the focus is also shifting lately towards Micro-services, Docker+Kubernetes and Functions-as-a-Service. Python is becoming more and more a thing for us.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
I think it's the most appealing, especially for AI. In the company I'm about to leave, is a SaaS Logistics platform. I learnt a lot about API, endpoints and JSON in general.

Tho they talked more and more about Python for the next development, but settled in Java for ease of finding candidates

Aria

Nov 21, 2019

a lot of languages have interchangeable theories so learning one makes learning others much easier.

Do you have any idea which field you'd like to work in? A lot of employers will still accept a broad spectrum of skills when hiring. Me knowing C++ landed me a few C# jobs for example.

I was a full on games dev writing C++ and I'm now fully into block chain writing Go applications and automated infrastructure with terraform ansible and packer. Where you start isn't where you need to stay.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
Well I like the logistics sector, and I know the technology pretty well. Not really into financial or marketing, AI or automation would be interesting

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Well I like the logistics sector, and I know the technology pretty well. Not really into financial or marketing, AI or automation would be interesting
If you're going AI then Python is the top choice. Pythons also used massively in automation fields and is just generally awesome. Slow as shit but awesome.

keku

Apr 23, 2019
I'm a little scared of AI and automation being a bit complex. But I heard Python is easier to learn, and has good opportunities. Is that so?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little scared of AI and automation being a bit complex.
I feel like that will depend on the scope of the problem you're trying to adress. For something like machine learning, starting simple is often better, anyway. If you're interested in automation using Python, check out Automate the Boring Stuff with Python. This can be as simple as you want it to be to start automating trivial, mundane tasks.

Last edited:

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, this thread seems like the right place! I've always wanted to start with some basic programming with a view to creating some simple android apps that help with boardgame setup (card randomisers, maybe a timer for the game etc.), figure this is a nice simple goal to start with. Would Java be the language to start with for android?

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question, this thread seems like the right place! I've always wanted to start with some basic programming with a view to creating some simple android apps that help with boardgame setup (card randomisers, maybe a timer for the game etc.), figure this is a nice simple goal to start with. Would Java be the language to start with for android?

You can either go with Java for native apps or a JS framework that lets you use Cordova to build hybrid apps.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

I learned Android with Java, and it was ok. I suppose that is probably still the most popular way to develop Android apps. My company though has invested in React Native, which i'm personally not familiar with, but they seem to like it a lot.

But honestly if you're just into developing the things yourself as a hobbyist instead of aiming to work in a big company, i would personally star learning something new and cool, like Flutter, which uses Dart as a coding language. I just personally think it's way more fun to try out something recent and still growing than something monolithic like Java, or a bit bonkers like Javascript.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I'm a little scared of AI and automation being a bit complex. But I heard Python is easier to learn, and has good opportunities. Is that so?

Yes. It's easier to learn because it's very human readable. There's tons of opportunities for it because you can use it for automation, machine learning/AI, data science, etc. One downside is that since it's already interpreted and executed line by line, it's not as fast as compiled languages.

Don't worry about complexity. You can automate very simple things with little code, and get more and more complex as you get more experience.

This should never happen and if it is you're in a toxic environment

So many programmers try to over think and over engineer every god damn thing with clever one liners or abstraction. It's frustrating as hell

Agreed. If one criticizes any of my work, I would hope they would provide suggestions to improve. I worked with a guy that would occasionally pull me aside and show me a more efficient way of executing something, or a "hey, check this out" for something he just figured out. However, I will say that if your code sucks and is hard to read, be open to positive criticism and willing to learn. A guy on my team is awful, but shows no interest in getting better.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but anyone have good tips to free resources learning React?
I am not a front end guy, and it has been years since I look at Youtube tutorials, but as far as I know these channels are generally pretty good.
www.youtube.com

Learn React JS - Full Course for Beginners - Tutorial 2019

React.js is a JavaScript library for building dynamic web applications. Upon completion of this course, you'll know everything you need in order to build web...
www.youtube.com

React JS Crash Course

In this crash course you will learn what React JS is and the fundamentals such as components, state, props, JSX, events, etc. Modern React Front To Back - 13...

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I'm 33 and in dire need of an actual career and education. I kinda want to get into this type of field but I don't even know where to begin. I have seen some jobs posted locally looking for people experienced with javascript. But yeah I'm literally needing to learn from square one. I'm decent with hardware but programming and code? Eh.

This old dog needs help learning any trick :(.