• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Wonderful way to wake up.

Drip.. Drip.. Drip..

Dripping through the ceiling, door way, through the walls, floors, into the basement, walls etc.

Buckets, towels.

Good times.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
New drip just dropped.

Hoping it's not too bad fam. Sorry to hear D:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Have this in the upstairs bathroom, its directly over a toilet though so it's easy to deal with and I'm being lazy about dealing with it because of it

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear, op.

This can be really, REALLY stressful. Especially if you do not take care of it asap. Water damage is no joke.

Mold, structural damage/weakening is def not good for you. It will also make it hard (see: almost impossible) to sell.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Finding the source of the leak is often harder than the repair itself...best of luck, OP. Been there, it fucking sucks.

EDIT: missed where you said buckets, so maybe you've got the source part covered...that's a positive! Even if it still fucking sucks, and it does.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks OP. You got ice dams?

E.g., large walls of ice right at the end of your roof over-hangs/gutters? The salt + sock tricks works pretty well. You basically have to relieve pressure on the water building up from the dam, and a single channel will cut through that. Fill a large old sock with either rock salt or calcium carbonate, and toss that up onto the dam. Within like 24-48 hours it cuts a channel through the dam and allows water to run off the roof.

There's products you can buy that do the same, basically pouches of calcium carbonate that you cna toss up there. Or, on amazon you can buy these long cords which you plug in and toss up onto the roof. THe cords are intended to be installed in a zig-zag pattern on the roof but in a pinch when you have to melt the ice you can just throw them up and plug them in to melt the ice

Oct 27, 2017
Ice dam on the roof potentially if there has been a lot of snow in your area? Especially if its coming in around the eaves and into the wall. The leak will likely be covered by your homeowners insurance if it gets expensive, so Id take photos now and document damages if you do decide to call a claim in.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's an ice damn in your gutters OP. It's a common issue. I have a friend who has this problem every couple of years. It sucks.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

They look like this:

I0nUV9.png

(you can see the little channel I cut through mine using the sock+salt trick)

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I've been dealing with this for the last couple years. I live in a condo and basically have to rely on the HOA to make repairs and they kept doing a shitty job with it.

Last year they had an engineering firm do a full analysis and found out that the underside of the roof is covered in mold and moisture... they're looking to collect 14-17k from each unit to do a full replacement đŸ¤ª

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously pour rock into a sock, tie the sock on one end, and toss the sock onto the dams/roof line.

Here's how it works:

You can also try a product like this:

I think Calcium carbonate works better, the little pellettes.

If you have access to your attic, either standing or crawling, if you have a window up there you want to keep the window open all winter long. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but basically you want the temp in your attic to be as close to the temperature outside, which prevents ice dams from forming. The reason ice dams form is because snow melts from the top of your roof (where it's warm -- heat rises from the house) and then it starts to trickle down as water, and when it reaches the eve, there's less heat, it's cold, and it freezes there. Water then continues to build up forming a dam, and then working it's way *up* your roof under the shingles, melting, and dripping into the house.

If you have windows in your attic you can keep them open all year long, basically. For insulation the technique is to try to prevent the warm air from your livable areas from getting into the attic, but to keep the attic itself the same temperature (or close to it) as outside. You'll always get some melting and ice, that's normal, it's when you have extremes in temperature between the top of the roof and the bottom of it when the dams form and do damage.

Roof raking can help too

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously pour rock into a sock, tie the sock on one end, and toss the sock onto the dams/roof line.

Here's how it works:

You can also try a product like this:

I think Calcium carbonate works better, the little pellettes.

If you have access to your attic, either standing or crawling, if you have a window up there you want to keep the window open all winter long. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but basically you want the temp in your attic to be as close to the temperature outside, which prevents ice dams from forming. The reason ice dams form is because snow melts from the top of your roof (where it's warm -- heat rises from the house) and then it starts to trickle down as water, and when it reaches the eve, there's less heat, it's cold, and it freezes there. Water then continues to build up forming a dam, and then working it's way *up* your roof under the shingles, melting, and dripping into the house.

If you have windows in your attic you can keep them open all year long, basically. For insulation the technique is to try to prevent the warm air from your livable areas from getting into the attic, but to keep the attic itself the same temperature (or close to it) as outside. You'll always get some melting and ice, that's normal, it's when you have extremes in temperature between the top of the roof and the bottom of it when the dams form and do damage.

Roof raking can help too

Was going to mention that I believe ice damming is often a symptom of poor insulation resulting in a temperature imbalance between the roof layer and out door air. So the ice has a greater freeze thaw than normal.

I finally finished replacing all our old insulation with new rock wool for an R30 and I noticed we had way fewer bare spots on the roof after snow (it any) and barely any icicles.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Some guys brought some industrial dryers to help and broke up ice on the roof.

I tried scattering salt and a full sock up there. It traveled through a wall quote a bit and through two floors.

Ps. Kid with asthma acting up today too.

Happy Monday.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Oh damn, I got Ice dam too for the past week. Better take care of it before it drips.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Insurance called. They will replace and personal stuff and repairs. Also asked if we need a hotel for a week.

That's reassuring. Still gonna cost $1000.

I think the TV and consoles are okay. Not sure about the walls and all the inside stuff however.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Mitigation hopefully wrapped up soon.

Repairs is going to be interesting. We have a laminate first floor, and a portion of damaged. Do they replace the whole thing?

In the basement, tiles in the drop ceiling were damaged. How is that handled? Same for carpet or pads?

What do I need to watch out for when the adjuster and others get involved.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any chance of buying a big blue tarp and putting it on the roof to help with the leak?

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Also make sure they do mold control. ServPro is OK, they work for a lot of insurance companies. Warm weather comes and the mold grows inside damp walls.

Oct 25, 2017
Insurance called. They will replace and personal stuff and repairs. Also asked if we need a hotel for a week.

I think the TV and consoles are okay. Not sure about the walls and all the inside stuff however.
1000 bucks is way better than what the actual cost is.

I'm having work done right now because of a leak. Walls, ceiling, the roof, and the floor. Happy to pay the deductible when I found out it's like 24k worth of work they're doing.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most roofers will eat the deductible for you. Some states have laws saying they can't, but you can set it up so the money goes directly to the roofer and it's up to them to bill you for the deductible. Just saying...

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
My roof started leaking back in October. Couldn't really do much about it at the time cause it was too cold for the roofing companies to work and the ones I called couldn't even find the leak in order to repair it. The only way would be to run a garden hose all over the roof while someone hangs out in the attic looking for dripping water. Fuck that.

Luckily it hasn't happened again throughout the Winter so I saved up money in order to fully replace the roof (it needs it). I have a roofer working on getting into his schedule now.

Ever since I bought my house in 2015, I was terrified about the roof and the HVAC system dying on us due to how horribly expensive both are. Both crapped out on me at the same time in 2021 so far. Already got new HVAC installed in January and the new roof is getting put on within the next few weeks.

Being a homeowner sucks sometimes.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
My roof started leaking back in October. Couldn't really do much about it at the time cause it was too cold for the roofing companies to work and the ones I called couldn't even find the leak in order to repair it. The only way would be to run a garden hose all over the roof while someone hangs out in the attic looking for dripping water. Fuck that.

Luckily it hasn't happened again throughout the Winter so I saved up money in order to fully replace the roof (it needs it). I have a roofer working on getting into his schedule now.

Ever since I bought my house in 2015, I was terrified about the roof and the HVAC system dying on us due to how horribly expensive both are. Both crapped out on me at the same time in 2021 so far. Already got new HVAC installed in January and the new roof is getting put on within the next few weeks.

Being a homeowner sucks sometimes.

the nice thing is that now that the HVAC and roof are going to be brand new you get to worry about which appliance is going to kick the bucket next

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful way to wake up.

Drip.. Drip.. Drip..

Dripping through the ceiling, door way, through the walls, floors, into the basement, walls etc.

Buckets, towels.

Good times.

do you have a chimney?? its usually leaking there especiall at the shoulders.

You can get some flex seal spray they really worked for me. Spray rhe shoukders and where the concrete mortar wraps the flue

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
the nice thing is that now that the HVAC and roof are going to be brand new you get to worry about which appliance is going to kick the bucket next

Oh that'll be our oven/range. đŸ˜‚ God knows how old it is and it's the only appliance that came with the house that hasn't been replaced yet.