• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Well... they don't have to rewrite the character, but how the character is reacted to and framed. Erica herself is a nice, friendly person.
Erica has her own issues too, it's not just how she's treated, it's what happens with her and a certain char. Most of my trans friends feel like it's a REALLY bad look.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely misses the point. You aren't Vincent, Vincent is a spineless piece of garbage and that is the point. She's meant to be his ideal type of girl, not the player's.
Sure, I can appreciate that perspective since Vincent is his own person. But, at the same time, the player is his moral compass and is the one guiding him through his romantic troubles. It's not that distinct of a delineation.

Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely misses the point. You aren't Vincent, Vincent is a spineless piece of garbage and that is the point. She's meant to be his ideal type of girl, not the player's.
I remember some friends told me Katherine was a 'controlling bitch' [sic]. I was like what? Vincent is a fucking slob, anyone would be frustrated with him.

I wonder if they still think the same, almos 10 years later.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I remember some friends told me Katherine was a 'controlling bitch' [sic]. I was like what? Vincent is a fucking slob, anyone would be frustrated with him.

I agree, but I always thought in the original they didn't do a particularly good job of explaining why Vincent was even with Katherine in the first place.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe "Qatherine" is canon after it being a joke for so long.
Pretty sure that had always been her official name (Rin is only a nickname).
I agree, but I always thought in the original they didn't do a particularly good job of explaining why Vincent was even with Katherine in the first place.
I could never really picture it, either (didn't care much for Katherine personally, yet at the same time had no idea why she put up with Vincent as much as she did).

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always interpreted that last scene to be just after Vincent arrived on the space station, and becoming a space tourist...not that the entire game took place on a spaceship already.
Spoilers running rampant, but you gotta remember this from a certain scene:
OhqUYzj.jpg

The weather where Vincent lives is artificially controlled. This is one of the hints that indicates the setting throughout the game.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Super classy move from Atlas after their horrific history of LBGT representation to explicitly code Rin as trans with marketing then make it a joke as opposed to actually attempting to do a LBGT character justice.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Spoilers running rampant, but you gotta remember this from a certain scene:
OhqUYzj.jpg

The weather where Vincent lives is artificially controlled. This is one of the hints that indicates the setting throughout the game.
That's just the natural evolution of the infallible weather forecast from Persona 4 ;)

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlus just has to ruin their fun games with some dumb shit IE the ann stuff or the gay couple in P5.
Nah that's being too generous and kind of letting them off the hook because it's way more frustrating than that. P5 at numerous points comments on how shitty women are treated, people always point to the Kamoshida portion of the game but the fact is that two characters in that game are focused around how poorly women are treated and there are numerous references outside of that. Yet the game still has to have creepy fan service bullshit around Ann as well as other issues around the dating aspects.

Even Erica in Catherine at times feels like they wanted to write her as a character who is more than a cheap and gross joke. But yet again they undercut that by throwing in multiple moments that are just awful and totally undermine any attempt to treat that character respectfully.

On some level they're aware that these characters deserve to be treated better and they even acknowledge this but for whatever reason they give up halfway there.

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't really guarantee Rin isn't trans-coded.
True. An alien that doesn't have traditionally human female sexual organs could easily be trans coded coming from writers too skittish to write explicitly about real social issues. Hell, there's plenty of examples in anime and manga with human characters who are, on their face, trans, but written in such a way to call them anything but. It makes describing their identity difficult sometimes because how they appear and act isn't always congruent with how real queer people identify.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
but for whatever reason they give up halfway there.
Because it's Japanese culture, they see those charachters as non traditional aka disgraceful. Specifically talking about trans people here, well gay people and anything "non traditional" fits the bill too. Their problematic culture needs a serious shakeup. Pretend I used a stronger word than problematic there, I can't post it else I'll get banned for a week for "racism" again.

Also yes I was being waaaaaaaaaaaay too generous.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By Post
What, you mean all that outrage with no information was unwarranted?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
True. An alien that doesn't have traditionally human female sexual organs could easily be trans coded coming from writers too skittish to write explicitly about real social issues. Hell, there's plenty of examples in anime and manga with human characters who are, on their face, trans, but written in such a way to call them anything but. It makes describing their identity difficult sometimes because how they appear and act isn't always congruent with how real queer people identify.

You're giving them waaaay too much credit here, when they haven't earned any of it.

The writers of Persona 5 aren't "too skittish to write explicitly about real social issues", lol. That's what the entirety of that game's plot is, including some "ripped from the headlines" style events.

What, you mean all that outrage with no information was unwarranted?

The """"outrage"""" was completely warranted. They not only have a horrible track record on this topic even within the original game alone, making people reasonably wary of what they might do, but explicitly tried to act like she might be trans and played that up in a shitty way.

People knew she probably wasn't going to be trans; they were just afraid that it might really be the case because it's not like they've made great decisions about this so far. But the way they marketed this sucks in itself.

Oct 27, 2017
You're giving them waaaay too much credit here, when they haven't earned any of it.
My post was meant to be critical. Hypothetically, if they were to use a trans coded alien girl to discuss real issues of gender and sexuality in a game that has previously used trans-ness as a punchline, it would reflect poorly on the writing team.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coding refers to framing and presentation, meaning Qatherine being an alien doesn't contradict any issues anyone had.

Feb 2, 2019
Oh, yeah... I forgot about that. That was super dumb, in several ways.

I don't think it's just them being dumb, it's way worse than this. It has more to do with willingly being regressive and willingly mocking transgenders and gays. They're adult, they perfectly know what they're doing, they're perfectly know that they will hurt people and make some unsensitive people laugh or alt right feel good about it. They're doing it on purpose, which is way more awful than just being ignorant and dumb.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...it's not that much crazier than Best Ending (Catherine.)

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
well, it's better than what a lot of folks were worried about

I mean. iirc Katherine
fakes a pregnancy to try and get him to agree to a joint bank account/marry her
, lol. all of the characters are fucked up

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did not expect that lol. Dunno if I will get the ending beyond just completion now lol

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I wish the original game didn't go so anime at the end as the mysteries they had built were interesting enough. But I see they've double down on the stupid. Will likely skip now.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really though? At least that was consistent to the nightmares and the premise of them. This is... I dont even know how this ties in

I guess you're right. It's obvious by now that Atlus will George Lucas the hell out of their properties every chance they get.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The story scene that has been leaked indicates that Rin belongs to a race of small, pink aliens.
Honestly, I kind of like this, depending on how it's pulled off? It fits the kitschy vibe of the frame narrative, and isn't as problematic as it could be. It also vaguely reminds me of Qfwfq from Italo Calvino stories.

Last edited: