• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Finally! All those plot threads from TFA will at last be answered! Two movies later 🙄"
"Which ones?"
"Knights of Ren and...um..."

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but was there any reason to expect that the Knights of Ren would be significant in the first place? Beyond the fact that they were Ren's followers? It just seems like such a random thing to build up excitement over. They're barely mentioned in either film and there's nothing to suggest they're anything more than cronies. What does their inclusion add to the plot thematically? Like, what makes them interesting?

I guess they're getting expanded in this one, so here's hoping they live up to whatever expectations people are building.

Well they were being set up as important. Say what you like about Abrams but he know how to leave breadcrumbs.

The Knights of Ren and Ben being called Kylo Ren made it feel like they were calling back to Darth as a title while also implying Ben had a new family, like Ren was a new surname and their penchant for wearing masks was indicative of their desires to be different to who they were before.

Then once you introduce the idea that they're all able to use the Force and were all trained by Luke Skywalker himself, you have a curious situation we've never had before in Star Wars - a group of bad guys with a real familial bond, fighting side by side in a galaxy where wielding the Dark Side of the Force usually involves you murdering anyone like you out of selfish greed and fear of being killed yourself.

I really hope Abrams does have big plans for them but I'm super worried there just isn't enough time to introduce them and give them real characterisation before inevitably killing them all off.

Plum

May 31, 2018
These new batch of detractors are really in a hard place though because these films have done well critically.

The prequel haters could look at the critical consensus as proof of their derision. With the new trilogy, they feel very much left out in the cold given the effusive critical praise, especially in regards to TLJ.

We've clearly reached a point where pleasing all SW fans is impossible but there's a subset looking to trash these films in a manner almost pathological.

That said, I'm personally thrilled because I think SW is in the best place it's ever been, especially with the TV show looming and the Clone Wars returning. :)
The redlettermedia generation, as if their opinion is the only "real" one.

Really interesting concepts in this leak, can not wait to see what's in the final official media.

Isn't it a bit ironic to go "ugh, these haters think their opinion is the only 'real' one" in reply to a post that literally boils down to "the critics said it's good and I agree so anyone who dislikes the ST is 'pathologically inclined to trash it' and should therefore shut up"?

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
excited to see all the leftover plot threads left from TFA answered finally 2 movies later

Such as?

Isn't it a bit ironic to go "ugh, these haters think their opinion is the only 'real' one" in reply to a post that literally boils down to "the critics said it's good and I agree so anyone who dislikes the ST is 'pathologically inclined to trash it' and should therefore shut up"?

I think it's more, "It's really gross seeing some people act like they know what Star Wars is MEANT to be, versus what it is."

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I can kind of see how that might square the circle of how Kylo could have that philosophy and then still have the helmet because his "letting the past die" = "doomed to repeat his past."

But the TLJ trailer literally putting his quote "let the past die" over footage of him destroying his helmet makes it pretty hard for me to really buy it. They kind of fused those two things together.
Did we just get a trailer or did we get a full movie?

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I interpreted that whole sequence of Snoke humiliation, and the destruction of the helmet, as a moment of crisis that led him to the "let the past die" philosophy in the first place. That's why he immediately goes to (hesitantly) kill his mother.

But maybe the fusing of "let the past die" and the helmet destruction was a creation of the trailer editors more than a symbolic fact of the movie...?
Yeah I think that's just trailer editing. That particular trailer was full of misleading shots and voice overs too iirc.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Is Rose in this movie?

Also if the Knight of ren finally turn up how is Rey going to fight them all off?

Maybe we'll get a reverse heel turn from some of them or will there be another light saber wielding hero :D

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first thing we see him doing is choking people to death with a black hood. The entire throne room doesn't work unless he was subsceptible to the darkside.
I never once interpreted it that way. I don't think the film itself acknowledges that what Luke is doing is down a dark path, and this is not a subtle series. If choking is more of a dark side move than slicing people with a lightsaber (something he also does with abandon on the skiff), then I don't think they thought to include that in the narrative in 1983. The score stirs and we're supposed to cheer for him defeating Jabba's minions. It is not presented as a moral quandary.

The whole RotJ trajectory of Luke seems to me like he has generally gotten his shit together since the last movie. He seems capable and morally sound (or at least the narrative seems to indicate so). He seems righteous in his decision to confront Vader and save him. The narrative only shows us that Luke has an inner struggle after Vader finds out about Leia. He had erred when he attacks in anger and vengeance. That's the only acknowledgment of the inner struggle that is surely always there (dark vs light), but I don't think was implicit in the character of Luke wearing black throughout the film. The character of RotJ Luke is mostly a full Jedi doing the force, as we knew it to that point, correctly.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A shame RJ dropped the knights of ren completely in TLJ. Would have been interesting to actually have seen what on earth Ren meant in the middle movie, but I have a ton of faith in JJ Abrams to redeem the weird place the story was left in at the end of TLJ.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how they explain where these knights of Ren were all this time when Kylo needed them the most.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I never once interpreted it that way. I don't think the film itself acknowledges that what Luke is doing is down a dark path, and this is not a subtle series. If choking is more of a dark side move than slicing people with a lightsaber (something he also does with abandon on the skiff), then I don't think they thought to include that in the narrative in 1983. The score stirs and we're supposed to cheer for him defeating Jabba's minions. It is not presented as a moral quandary.
The last film literally had a character state that the force is used for knowledge of defense instead of outright attacking and the climax of Luke's arc is the most blatantly time he's ever tried to attack somebody. First impressions are one thing, but when the entire context of a film and arc is taken into account things start to make sense.

The whole RotJ trajectory of Luke seems to me like he has generally gotten his shit together since the last movie. He seems capable and morally sound (or at least the narrative seems to unsociable so). He seems righteous in his decision to confront Vader and save him. The narrative only shows us that Luke has an inner struggle after Vader finds out about Leia.
Yea sure.
c2a.gif

Yes Luke is doing better than in ESB, but the internal struggle was still there. the possibility of him being brought over to the dark side was still there. Hence a black outfit:
Thoseabouttojediwesaluteyou.JPG

with inner light:
luke-skywalker-end-of-rotj.jpg

Which literally isn't the last instance of this exact color scheme and character conflict is used:
main-qimg-c3085c8a7bf43cbdfe80c3b3fc1e854f.webp

That's why it's very appropriate that at the end of her trilogy Rey is dressed in all white/lighter clothing. People so badly want her to be a retread of Luke that it hurts.

Last edited:

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

I think you're putting your own feeling into what I actually said. I never said anyone that didn't like it was wrong or they should shut up? You are allowed to dislike whatever you want, I just see a lot of the same rhetoric that groups like RLM say repeated over and over with no real thought put into it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
KNIGHTS OF REN.
KNIGHTS OF REN.
KNIGHTS OF REN.
KNIGHTS OF REN.
KNIGHTS OF REN.
KNIGHTS OF REN.
KNIGHTS OF REN.
KNIGHTS OF REN.

MY BODY IS EDGY.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Kylo Ren has to put the mask back on to get the knights to follow him like Mandalore, even though he hates wearing it he's trapped.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I love that Kylo is using his helmet again. Such a great design.

The Knights of Ren, woo!

Stormtrooper palette swaps are surprisingly cool. I like those red guys.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people actually care about the knights of ren

Uhhhhhhhhh, they look cool? What other reason do ya need. Whole bunch of people shat their pants about Boba Fett for no reason besides looking cool.

They're all black and masked and shit. Y'all nerds need to appreciate the simpler things in life.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
knights of ren were missing from the previous movies because they were out on kamino making a new clone army, and now they are reporting for duty with the red clone troopers. i wonder who they cloned this time?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I dunno. She's always been wearing white highlights. Luke in the first film was wearing white too. I think she should be wearing black now. Her version of Luke's outfit in RotJ. Alas.
Rey's journey is not the same as Luke's. I think putting her in all black would look cool but I dont think it fits her personality/tendencies established in TFA/TLJ.

Oct 28, 2017
They really couldn't have made the red troopers stand out with with a different design? Just add a slap of red paint on them and that's it?

I'm guessing the red troopers are Kylo's most loyal troops and there might be some kinda split with Kylo and Hux

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the Knights of Ren just the dudes that followed Ren in his betrayal? They've barely been mentioned as far as I remember. Why were people under the impression they were going to be so significant? What did I miss?

Right and everything that has to do with Kylo's betrayal is a very interesting concept that is barely touched on in TLJ - we get a glimpse of Luke's reaction to Kylo's visions and then the two of them clash, but that's about it.

The Knights are an interesting concept because they were described very often as not being Siths, but the fact that Kylo goes by Ren, i imagine it's an inversion on the way all Siths are Darth - he's practically named after the order and they are clearly integral to his character. I would like to see the exploration of this and how Kylo came to idealize the opposite of Luke's teachings.

Which I guess TLJ answers by saying "Snoke got to him!" but that just brings me back to who the fuck is this guy and after the conflict of the original trilogy how did he just fill the void and nothing changed whatsoever? I know TLJ answers this again with "it doesn't matter!" but it feels like that brushes off a lot. I don't need him to be Darth Plageus, I just want to know how the pieces fell into place.

Another thing would be why Anakin's lightsaber reacted to Rey the way it did, but if the answer is just "it's because she's very powerfu" then just "oh." i guess.

but whatever i guess i just "like the knights cuz dey look kewl n i want obi wan reykanobi" 🙄 (not aimed at you persee daft_cat)

Last edited:

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
They actually appeared on screen and did stuff for the little time they got. This is like getting hyped to see one of those space angels Anakin mentions, who cares??
To be fair, why even include them in the first trailer? Of course everyone was going talk about it and speculate about it. And then have them be other students of Lukes that joined with Kylo. That has crazy potential and thus far has been squandered.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I gotta say: this leak just looks strange. The colors seem off and the amount of blur is weird (I imagine this was being upsized from a smaller image, but there are still too many details in tact?)

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think you're putting your own feeling into what I actually said. I never said anyone that didn't like it was wrong or they should shut up? You are allowed to dislike whatever you want, I just see a lot of the same rhetoric that groups like RLM say repeated over and over with no real thought put into it.

It wasn't your post I was referring to there.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I hope they don't pull a Finn with lightsaber thing like they did in TFA's marketing. Yeah it technically did happen but I was so excited to see him be a Jedi.

I'm still super salty about it lol.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The first actual teaser poster will likely be released after the Episode IX Celebration panel in two weeks. This looks more in the style of the final posters they don't release until much closer to the film release. Therefore, I'm inclined to call this a fake.

Oct 27, 2017
So does Kylo Ren just have those helmets mass produced, or what?! He left his first one on Starkiller Base about 10 minutes before it was destroyed, and he had an identical one in the sequel which he smashed into the wall.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The last film literally had a character state that the force is used for knowledge of defense instead of outright attacking and the climax of Luke's arc is the most blatantly time he's ever tried to attack somebody. First impressions are one thing, but when the entire context of a film and arc is taken into account things start to make sense.

He sends a message of peace to Jabba first, remember.

If ultimate highest attainment of a Jedi is no fighting at all, "Wars not make one great" and all that, then of course Luke isn't to the state where he throws away his weapon and doesn't fight at all. But neither is any scene where anyone wields a lightsaber in these films. We're still meant to cheer scenes of Jedis killing bad guys. It isn't an indiciation that the movie narrative wants us to think they've gone down a bad path, unless it actually says so. Anakin beheading Dooku? That's how a Star Wars movie says "you might be going down a dark path even as you try to help the good guys". Not subtle.

I won't start interpeting the Jabba's palace scene as a "Jedi on a dark path" sequence anytime soon anyway. I doubt many others would either.

Of course the whole throne room is where that test of Luke's character actually appears on screen. And it works because he otherwise appears as the perfect Jedi. They're chinks in his perfect armor.