• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I like Guardians of the Galaxy, but it should NOT have replaced Tower of Terror. It didn't need to be replaced. Why didn't they just clone the Guardians coaster they're building down here in Florida and put it in there instead?

I'm sure the really uninteresting answer is the basic combination of timing, budget, and space.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy was at peak popularity so they wanted to open an attraction as quickly as possible to capitalize on that.

2. Redressing Tower of Terror allowed them to install the ride on the desired time table at a lower cost than building a brand new attraction. Remember the Epcot roller coaster does not exist yet and would be subject to all the same experimental construction and testing as that one will be.

3. Disneyland does not have the space that Disney World does and needs to be more creative with how it uses its real estate. The Tower of Terror was right on the boundary of where they were building Marvel Land. Redressing Tower of Terror allowed them to have the attraction up early, up cheaply, and up in a location that made geographic sense.

I love Tower of Terror and hate that it's closed. But the reason for doing it makes a lot of business sense. That's not satisfying but it's the truth.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the really uninteresting answer is the basic combination of timing, budget, and space.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy was at peak popularity so they wanted to open an attraction as quickly as possible to capitalize on that.

2. Redressing Tower of Terror allowed them to install the ride on the desired time table at a lower cost than building a brand new attraction. Remember the Epcot roller coaster does not exist yet and would be subject to all the same experimental construction and testing as that one will be.

3. Disneyland does not have the space that Disney World does and needs to be more creative with how it uses its real estate. The Tower of Terror was right on the boundary of where they were building Marvel Land. Redressing Tower of Terror allowed them to have the attraction up early, up cheaply, and up in a location that made geographic sense.

I love Tower of Terror and hate that it's closed. But the reason for doing it makes a lot of business sense. That's not satisfying but it's the truth.

There are also some rumors that Disney's contract with the Twilight Zone IP is close to expiring and they may not be planning to extend it. I hate that, and I hope they find a way to keep the theming, but if all else fails they should retheme it the way they did with Tokyo DisneySea's version instead of ripping all the charm and soul out of it in favor of a flash-in-the-pan Marvel movie that won't even be relevant in six to eight years.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's my understanding too. Marvel has to approve Universal's projects for reasonable consistency with their brand, but they don't have any say over what Universal wants to build.

Very odd that Universal hasn't demolished Doctor Doom and Storm Force for a big E-Ticket addition to the land. Not that they don't have lot on their plate already, but still. Marvel is so hot right now.

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either. Marvel is the biggest IP in Hollywood for like the past decade. There is a huge amount of untapped potential there in the theme park industry.

I can only assume Disney is being cheap since they can't port any new rides they make for Marvel to Florida for most of the IP. I guess for Comcast they don't want to help one of their biggest rival's IP, and would rather invest in other ones?

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's my understanding too. Marvel has to approve Universal's projects for reasonable consistency with their brand, but they don't have any say over what Universal wants to build.

Very odd that Universal hasn't demolished Doctor Doom and Storm Force for a big E-Ticket addition to the land. Not that they don't have lot on their plate already, but still. Marvel is so hot right now.
I'm guessing since they just recently (within last 4 years) finished the Hulk re-build, that probably too soon. But yeah, I'd love if they build more attractions there.
And then they redid Spider Man not too long before that.

Even without tearing down Fearfall, there is actually room to build. There's a few wearhouse buildings behind Fearfall ride that could be repurposed. And they could always move and take over a tiny bit of Toon Lagoon area. Mainly that show building next to Spider Man, is it even ever used? lol

But: Since the new Hagrid coaster is now done and they are working on the new JP ride, no way do they do another construction project for IoA so soon.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
*Neiteio emerges all bushy-bearded from under the rock where he lives*

They closed the Tower of Terror?!?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubbles here, but from what I know (I'm a major theme park fanatic and participate on forums with insiders like Alicia Stella) there's almost no chance of Fire Emblem, Metroid, Star Fox, Earthbound, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Kirby, and any other small Nintendo franchise coming to the parks in the future. The main four we're looking at are the Mario Universe, Pokemon, Zelda, and maybe Splatoon.

Although, Alicia has said in the past that Pikmin are found throughout Super Nintendo World. Don't know why, just are.

Has there been any smoke for Zelda or Splatoon being added, or is it speculation so far? Makes sense though that a lot of the other IP are too small for theme park lands.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm guessing since they just recently (within last 4 years) finished the Hulk re-build, that probably too soon. But yeah, I'd love if they build more attractions there.

Even without tearing down Fearfall, there is actually room to build. There's a few wearhouse buildings behind Fearfall ride that could be repurposed. And they could always move and take over a tiny bit of Toon Lagoon area. Mainly that show building next to Spider Man, is it even ever used? lol

But: Since the new Hagrid coaster is now done and they are working on the new JP ride, no way do they do another construction project for IoA so soon.

Nah, I think the last time the Toon Lagoon theater was used was for some VR testing for Hulk that never amounted to anything. It's prime real estate.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sorry to burst anyone's bubbles here, but from what I know (I'm a major theme park fanatic and participate on forums with insiders like Alicia Stella) there's almost no chance of Fire Emblem, Metroid, Star Fox, Earthbound, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Kirby, and any other small Nintendo franchise coming to the parks in the future. The main four we're looking at are the Mario Universe, Pokemon, Zelda, and maybe Splatoon.

Although, Alicia has said in the past that Pikmin are found throughout Super Nintendo World. Don't know why, just are.

I agree with your sentiment but I don't know why you labelled Animal Crossing with the other franchises. In terms of size, popularity and world-wide appeal, it's closer to Zelda than any of the other ones you've mentioned. The franchise is certainly bigger than Splatoon, even though its success has been mostly on handheld devices.

I wouldn't discard Nintendo giving preference to Splatoon instead of Animal Crossing due to it translating better to an theme park environment. Having some classic Animal Crossing characters and maybe stores spread across the Nintendo areas would be cool though. I want my Tom Nook Shop IKEA.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Has there been any smoke for Zelda or Splatoon being added, or is it speculation so far? Makes sense though that a lot of the other IP are too small for theme park lands.

Zelda has been heavily rumored to replace Lost Continent for months now. Splatoon is just speculation on my part, but insiders have said it's possible.

I agree with your sentiment but I don't know why you labelled Animal Crossing with the other franchises. In terms of size, popularity and world-wide appeal, it's closer to Zelda than any of the other ones you've mentioned. The franchise is certainly bigger than Splatoon, even though its success has been mostly on handheld devices.

I wouldn't discard Nintendo giving preference to Splatoon instead of Animal Crossing due to it translating better to an theme park environment. Having some classic Animal Crossing characters and maybe stores spread across the Nintendo areas would be cool though. I want my Tom Nook Shop IKEA.

Splatoon has plenty of ride potential, however. Animal Crossing does not. They're trying to keep all the Nintendo Universes separate (Pokemon won't be inside Mario World, same for Zelda) so shops are pretty unlikely.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing has plenty of ride potential. I picture one where you board a Jeep and flee from Tom Nook, who has lost patience with you dillydallying on your payments, and now pursues you in a semi-truck, leaning out the window periodically to fire an uzi.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere

If I remember correctly, some of the warehouses behind FearFall are now just used for storage and small projects like HHN haunted mazes. Interestingly enough, the one behind Spider-Man was used only once for a maze and made specifically for it and it was based on Carnage and him taking over the island. Though I can see your point in them either trashing them for more rides or using them for more dark coasters.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The obvious idea for a Splatoon style ride is an MIB style shooter where you're blasting ink on the environment. Couple ideas for how that could work might be projection mapped ink or maybe augmented reality. Midway Mania style screens would be blah imo.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious idea for a Splatoon style ride is an MIB style shooter where you're blasting ink on the environment. Couple ideas for how that could work might be projection mapped ink or maybe augmented reality. Midway Mania style screens would be blah imo.
Fending off Octarians with AR ink blasters would be cool. Pop idols like Callie and Marie and Pearl and Marina could be your guides.

Maybe elsewhere in Splatoon Land they can have shootouts involving actual ink? Though I don't know how they could do that in a clean and efficient way, lol.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Fending off Octarians with AR ink blasters would be cool. Pop idols like Callie and Marie and Pearl and Marina could be your guides.

A competitive shooting ride would be great too. There's a fantastic moment in Men in Black: Alien Attack (a target shooting ride with parallel tracks/vehicles) where the ride vehicles basically become targets themselves, and shooting the other car causes them to spin. Inking another car full of vehicles (even if only in AR) would be a blast.

Augmented reality is already being used on Mario Kart, so it's definitely possible!

Is that the current word on the street? I thought AR was a bit up in the air as to whether it would be used or not. If so, that's a huge breakthrough.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing has plenty of ride potential. I picture one where you board a Jeep and flee from Tom Nook, who has lost patience with you dillydallying on your payments, and now pursues you in a semi-truck, leaning out the window periodically to fire an uzi.

This kind of reminds me of the original idea Imagineers had in plan for the ill-fated Superstar Limo at DCA

It was originally meant to be a thrill ride where the guests board limos and are on a high speed chase throughout Hollywood to avoid being caught by the paparazzi, so they could reach the Graumann's Chinese Theater and sign a deal with Micheal Eisner (yes, that Eisner) to star in the next big Disney film.

Of course, just around that time, Princess Diana was tragically killed in a car accident, supposedly as a result of her limo driver trying to avoid the paparazzi. So it goes without saying that the whole concept was nixed and it was reworked into the abomination it became on opening day.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of reminds me of the original idea Imagineers had in plan for the ill-fated Superstar Limo at DCA

It was originally meant to be a thrill ride where the guests board limos and are on a high speed chase throughout Hollywood to avoid being caught by the paparazzi, so they could reach the Graumann's Chinese Theater and sign a deal with Micheal Eisner (yes, that Eisner) to star in the next big Disney film.

Of course, just around that time, Princess Diana was tragically killed in a car accident, supposedly as a result of her limo driver trying to avoid the paparazzi. So it goes without saying that the whole concept was nixed and it was reworked into the abomination it became on opening day.

This is fascinating :-O

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Disney hasn't really built anything great in the US the past couple of years. Maybe Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will change my mind.
But US imagineering created all the foreign rides anyway. Budget has been the only limitation for them.

Cars Land wasn't impressive? Old ride system aside. Pandora wasn't impressive? Resting on their laurels is exactly what Iger is trying to change.

I'm not a fanboy at all, but if this doesn't impress you please take me with you back to the future: https://youtu.be/_p4mn5BstQo

(For some reason all the posting options are greyed out for me)

Last edited:

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
But US imagineering created all the foreign rides anyway. Budget has been the only limitation for them.

Cars Land wasn't impressive? Old ride system aside. Pandora wasn't impressive? Resting on their laurels is exactly what Iger is trying to change.

I'm not a fanboy at all, but if this doesn't impress you please take me with you back to the future: https://youtu.be/_p4mn5BstQo

(For some reason all the posting options are greyed out for me)

Great theming? Yeah. Great rides? Not exactly.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Great theming? Yeah. Great rides? Not exactly.
Ok...

Disney has never really prioritized thrills. Saying their rides aren't impressive is incorrect though.

The simple truth is Disney doesn't really build trash like F&F or Fallon. I feel like this is basically an iOS vs Android situation though.

I will agree there has been some serious stagnation in terms of both additions and ride system variety. I don't think they deserve so much of the criticism they've gotten as of late though.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Ok...

Disney has never really prioritized thrills. Saying their rides aren't impressive is incorrect though.

The simple truth is Disney doesn't really build trash like F&F or Fallon. I feel like this is basically an iOS vs Android situation though.

I will agree there has been some serious stagnation in terms of both additions and ride system variety. I don't think they deserve so much of the criticism they've gotten as of late though.

I'm not really talking about thrills. One of the Avatar rides is a simulator, the other is a boat ride which is way too short. The recent Millennium-Falcon ride at Galaxy's Edge is a glorified simulator that sucks if your fellow riders aren't good at playing the roles they're assigned. Universal isn't perfect either, sadly. Both companies need to learn that screens don't mean everything, and length means a lot.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder, do they still have the rides they used for the likes of that Pokemon theme park they had a while back or have they been scrapped? Because if they're still functioning, it could seem like a good stop gap to appease the hardcore fans while they make new rides.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just to comment on the matter of video game IP in theme parks, I do think Universal is going about it the right way by opening up with a partnership with Nintendo. Nobody in the video game industry has managed and maintained their IPs better than they have. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Pokemon all have huge cultural awareness, and have maintained quality for several decades now. The quality control on the Nintendo IP even beats out several of the IP already represented in the parks. (Looking at you Shrek/Transformers/Jurassic Park)

I think when you look outside of Nintendo, it becomes harder to find IP that would be incredible fits for a theme park. Pac-Man and Sonic the Hedgehog are massive names in gaming for example, but those IP are definitely past their heyday and not managed as well today. (Though I would line-up cash in hand for both of them. lol) Then on the opposite spectrum you have something like Minecraft which is huge, but also really new and might not appeal as much across age demographics. Overall I'm just hoping SNW is a hit, since if they do expand across several IP I think it will be heaven for fans of the gaming medium.

Last edited:

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok...

Hey now, Fallon is fun lol. The pre show esp.

F&F looks horrible though...

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Hey now, Fallon is fun lol. The pre show esp.

F&F looks horrible though...
I'm a little too hard on it. As a total experience it's fine, and apparently the guest satisfaction ratings are good. It doesn't usually have a very long line, but that's not really a bad thing.

So I wonder, do they still have the rides they used for the likes of that Pokemon theme park they had a while back or have they been scrapped? Because if they're still functioning, it could seem like a good stop gap to appease the hardcore fans while they make new rides.
I don't think Uni would ever consider that. They were basically fair rides. It did do stupidly well for what was basically a fair though. It basically would have matched Island's yearly numbers at the time if it had kept that pace.

Definitely hoping the land will bring some solid flat rides. It's sad how few there are in the Orlando parks.

Last edited:

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I've got some bad news for you then.
Not going to pretend that they're infallible, but what have they built recently that even comes close to the "meh" sentiment of additions to other parks?

I don't really count marvel at HKDL because it's obvious they're not really in control.

Hot take: DCA's Tower was super watered down from DHS' Tower and actually benefited from the retheme

I still mourn its loss for western disney fans, but I kind of agree.

Last edited:

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
....to give y'all a bit of an update, an old major Universal insider is teasing something for next week. Notably uses the word "Fantastic". Could be nothing, could be something else, or it could be an announcement for Universal Orlando's new park, Fantastic Worlds (featuring Super Nintendo World).

Getting cautiously hyped.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
....to give y'all a bit of an update, an old major Universal insider is teasing something for next week. Notably uses the word "Fantastic". Could be nothing, could be something else, or it could be an announcement for Universal Orlando's new park, Fantastic Worlds (featuring Super Nintendo World).

I saw that tweet earlier and checked the 3rd gate thread on IU but didn't see any discussion about it. That wording makes it too obvious...hopefully it means something.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, it's gonna feel really weird to have another full dedicated theme park in Universal's resort.

Something I've always really appreciated about UOR is the simplicity of its initial design.

Map-of-universal-studios-orlando-from-images.-17.jpg

Compared to how massive and sprawling something like Walt Disney World is, everything in Universal is nice and compact, with all of its main resorts and theme parks in walking distance from each other, and City Walk essentially acting as the central hub of everything. Alas, the additions of Volcano Bay and now this upcoming Site B with "Fantastic Worlds" have kinda muddened this simplicity, but what can you do...

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched that video with my daughter, she was literally shaking with excitement. The second it's open, we're gonna be there. Here's hoping they have some good roller coasters, she'll be about ten when the park opens and she's very tall for her age, so she should easily be tall enough to ride them assuming they're a coaster friendly park.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, it's gonna feel really weird to have another full dedicated theme park in Universal's resort.

Something I've always really appreciated about UOR is the simplicity of its initial design.

Map-of-universal-studios-orlando-from-images.-17.jpg

Compared to how massive and sprawling something like Walt Disney World is, everything in Universal is nice and compact, with all of its main resorts and theme parks in walking distance from each other, and City Walk essentially acting as the central hub of everything. Alas, the additions of Volcano Bay and now this upcoming Site B with "Fantastic Worlds" have kinda muddened this simplicity, but what can you do...

I largely agree. But Universal has Disney on its heels in Orlando. There's a reason all of these major additions to Disney's parks in Orlando are all occurring within a few years of each other - it's because Universal has been gaining on Disney. And a brand new park (which may very well be their largest) is going to go a long way to help them try and continue to close that gap.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Agreed, but at least the original resort will always be there. UOR is really the Disneyland of the east cost, with two parks literally side by side and each with a pretty good density of things to do. WDW is great as well, but park hopping is a drag and some of the parks can be a bit scarce if you're only going for the attractions. UOR is always a two park per day visit for me because it's so painless to move between them.

I don't think FW being disconnected will bother me too much as long as there's plenty to do there. Just don't want to get the feeling of having exhausted the park but still wanting more and the other parks being an inconvenient distance away.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/1154777463739813888?s=20

This is the big one. Check back into this thread on August 1st.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Some people are talking about a possible model for the new park being shown in the press conference. If true, expect tons of new info on Super Nintendo World and the rumored Pokemon area.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems probable since it's already announced for other parks. They could lead with Nintendo and general information about the park while driving the hype train with periodic reveals of other lands as we get closer.
hell, the other parks already started construction. it's just Orlando and Singapore that hasn't.