• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I was at Universal Hollywood a couple weeks ago - and you can clearly see down and into the construction zone.

But given the footprints Singapore / Hollywood and even Osaka have to deal with, just kind of wrap your heads around it a little bit considering they need room for ride buildings.

Attractions Magazine just posted some new photos from this weekend:

Total Hollywood Footprint:

Super-Nintendo-World-47.jpg

Here's a closer look at the Mario Kart "track"

Super-Nintendo-World-49.jpg

While the Hollywood land should be smaller than Osaka / Orlando, the actual Mario Kart footprint should be pretty similar. The ride itself seems to take up a similar amount of space that Transformers does - though Transformers obviously stops in front of screens for big periods. I'm assuming Mario Kart is going to use similar tricks to "extend" its track length.

No screens! Also the ride will be over two levels I believe, like Transformers.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Alicia said the 2nd floor is where the main queue and load/unload will likely be.

Those pictures look great!

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
What they mean "omnimover" Yoshi?

Like haunted mansion, or forbidden journey etc where the ride is a track, is always moving and riders get on from a conveyer belt.

This usually helps dark rides have a high capacity - but it also means you are on a very specified track with people in front and behind you. It's actually almost a little retro the way folks are moving towards trackless dark rides these days

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty interesting that the warp pipe ends up connecting through the castle for the land entrance. Hopefully they're able to recreate some iconic Mario 64 scenery within it since Peach's Castle is such a beloved location to longtime fans.

I do wonder what that means for where the shops are. I noticed some alcoves alongside the top level of the land, but I presume those could be bathrooms. There's definitely a Mario Kart giftshop connected to the ride, curious though if they've got anything else.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like haunted mansion, or forbidden journey etc where the ride is a track, is always moving and riders get on from a conveyer belt.

This usually helps dark rides have a high capacity - but it also means you are on a very specified track with people in front and behind you. It's actually almost a little retro the way folks are moving towards trackless dark rides these days
Oh ok. I like those kind of rides. Kind of like ET. Well ET isn't always moving I think, but yeah I remember Haunted Mansion.

I think Harry Potter was like that.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the Nintendo stuff ends up in Fantastic Worlds, do we know what else to expect in that park?

I vaguely remember hearing some Universal Classic Monsters scuttlebutt, but I don't know if that survived the failure of the Dark Universe.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
If the Nintendo stuff ends up in Fantastic Worlds, do we know what else to expect in that park?

I vaguely remember hearing some Universal Classic Monsters scuttlebutt, but I don't know if that survived the failure of the Dark Universe.
Ministry of Magic and Lord of the Rings have been the other popular rumors.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ministry of Magic and Lord of the Rings have been the other popular rumors.
Hmm.

Lord of the Rings sounds good (although would rather push Zelda out of contention), but having Harry Potter stuff in all three parks seems a little short-sighted to me in terms of differentiation (particularly if the rumours are true and they'd look to expand the Nintendo stuff to the other two parks as well), and the fact that the Ministry's all indoors makes it sound rather unappealing as a setpiece land design.

Actually, I haven't seen any maps- whereabouts is the Fantastic Worlds site in comparison to the other two? How feasible would it be to link them together, Hogwarts Express-style?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

From what I remember hearing, it was 4 main worlds to start.

-- Nintendo
-- Dreamworks (How To Train Your Dragon, and others I think?)
-- Ministry of Magic
-- Universal Classic Monsters

Classic Monsters supposedly being the first to go if Universal gained access to another big IP.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
From what I remember hearing, it was 4 main worlds to start.

-- Nintendo
-- Dreamworks (How To Train Your Dragon, and others I think?)
-- Ministry of Magic
-- Universal Classic Monsters

Classic Monsters supposedly being the first to go if Universal gained access to another big IP.

Ministry of Magic is the odd one out there. Seems like they'd want it near London by tearing our Fear Factor Live. Not sure if that would be enough room, though.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ministry of Magic is the odd one out there. Seems like they'd want it near London by tearing our Fear Factor Live. Not sure if that would be enough room, though.

I imagine that was the original plan, since I remember a lot of people discussing Universal putting MoM in USF where FFL is.

I wonder if the Fantastic Beasts series starting to crater has anything to do with it. That would've made more sense to me as something that fits in Fantastic Worlds better. (and not just because it has the word "Fantastic" in it :p)

Last edited:

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that even if the FB movies cater a little or a lot, the WWOHP areas are super popular still, esp with the new Hagrid ride. So some kind of new HP land would likely be coming. I'd be surprised if we don't get a new HP land.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think we will get a new Potter land. I'm mostly curious if the land sticks closer to the original series though since FB doesn't seem as popular. Maybe MoM went to the new park to replace a FB land.

Either way they are going to want an IP that skews older to contrast Mario and Dreamworks in the park.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think we will get a new Potter land. I'm mostly curious if the land sticks closer to the original series though since FB doesn't seem as popular. Maybe MoM went to the new park to replace a FB land.

Either way they are going to want an IP that skews older to contrast Mario and Dreamworks in the park.

Shrek: The Park. It's finally time.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
They probably just want a Potter land in FW just to get themed shops and restaurants into the mix there. Any chance to sell Potter food and merchandise is a win for them.

Also, I'm curious to see how they pull off the Yoshi ride. IIRC rumors hinted at the ride simulating actually being on the back of a Yoshi. It's tough to visualize pulling that off but it would be hella cute if they did.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They probably just want a Potter land in FW just to get themed shops and restaurants into the mix there. Any chance to sell Potter food and merchandise is a win for them.

Also, I'm curious to see how they pull off the Yoshi ride. IIRC rumors hinted at the ride simulating actually being on the back of a Yoshi. It's tough to visualize pulling that off but it would be hella cute if they did.

In the photos, the trail of Yoshi's wrapping around the park I think is supposed to simulate the ride path we follow.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I wish Nintendo was just getting it's own dedicated park that's only Nintendo stuff and was as big as Animal Kingdom or something. That way we could get our Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby and everything else.

But I'll take what I can get, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Remember that even if the FB movies cater a little or a lot, the WWOHP areas are super popular still, esp with the new Hagrid ride. So some kind of new HP land would likely be coming. I'd be surprised if we don't get a new HP land.

I believe they planned on FB but that might have expanded/moved. I always speculated it focused on the various Ministries around the world (MCUSA, England, France, etc) than just one.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
At this point I wish Nintendo was just getting it's own dedicated park that's only Nintendo stuff and was as big as Animal Kingdom or something. That way we could get our Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby and everything else.

But I'll take what I can get, I guess.

Theme parks are extremely costly to engineer and build, and unfortunately the vast majority of Nintendo franchises are unrecognizable to the general public that Universal has to draw in order to recoup costs. That said, Super Nintendo World as we see here is basically phase one and it's extremely likely that additional Nintendo-themed lands will be built at Universal's resorts in Orlando and Japan in the future.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Theme parks are extremely costly to engineer and build, and unfortunately the vast majority of Nintendo franchises are unrecognizable to the general public that Universal has to draw in order to recoup costs. That said, Super Nintendo World as we see here is basically phase one and it's extremely likely that additional Nintendo-themed lands will be built at Universal's resorts in Orlando and Japan in the future.
I know, I just have lofty dreams.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that Universal also has several hotels ready, plenty of restaurants in and out of the park & other various infrastructure.

Currently they have 7 hotels, with 1 more opening next year. One of which just opened.
I bet more than anything that they will likely build a new hotel (maybe a Premier or Preferred) near or on location while they build the new site.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It already exists, at Universal Singapore.

DSC_6992-1.jpg

And it sucks. Worst part of the park. The kid coaster is trash and the puss in boots ride up the beanstalk is ok at best. I can only imagine it would be good for hardcore shrek fans, and not sure who those people are. I guess they exist though?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of the Mario franchise, but it looks cute. I'm really hyped for whatever they decide to build for Hyrule and Pokemon. Nintendo should be it's own park honestly, not just a few sections spread across a few parks.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Universal
I'm not a big fan of the Mario franchise, but it looks cute. I'm really hyped for whatever they decide to build for Hyrule and Pokemon. Nintendo should be it's own park honestly, not just a few sections spread across a few parks.

Nintendo being it's own theme park would be handcuffing the park. Single IP (even something as broad as Nintendo) aren't really likely in this day and age. It's why Universal is spreading Harry Potter and Nintendo around, if you like those IPs, you need to visit all of their parks to see all of the development.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo being it's own theme park would be handcuffing the park. Single IP (even something as broad as Nintendo) aren't really likely in this day and age. It's why Universal is spreading Harry Potter and Nintendo around, if you like those IPs, you need to visit all of their parks to see all of the development.
Yeah, I know it isn't realistic, I just want everything in a single park to make it easier for me. >:(

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

From the model it sees the yoshis use a seating system similar to the booster bikes coasters instead of the seating in rides like haunted mansion. Maybe 2 or 3 people sit in the back of each yoshi?

Also didnt Alicia Stella say the heads of the yoshi vehicles move or something like that? I remember hearing that.

I'm gonna be really disappointed if I can't sip a Pigeon Milk Latte at The Roost at sometime in the future.

Sigh.

latest

With how huge is animal crossing i wouldnt be surprised one of the relaxing areas in a future expansion (maybe even outside the park on the universal city walk) is themed around animal crossing. I dont see it as an area that could bring a ride, but one that is nicely themed with shops, coffee shops and totakeke music.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im really curious what direction a Pokemon Land goes in. Joe mentioning that UC had an idea for a Pokemon Go Land (that is thankfully dead) is really not what I would've expected.

Getting like Rhyme City or a region that's newer like Galar instead of Kanto would shock me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im really curious what direction a Pokemon Land goes in. Joe mentioning that UC had an idea for a Pokemon Go Land (that is thankfully dead) is really not what I would've expected.

Getting like Rhyme City or a region that's newer like Galar instead of Kanto would shock me.
They'd probably keep it region neutral

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I could see it being something like Galaxy's Edge. Basically a completely new "region" with familiar iconography. The Pokémon themselves are the most important factor imo - the actual environment is going to be secondary.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
If a Pokemon zone is based on a region, it will most likely be based on gen I and Kanto, with hints and nods to the other regions thrown in. It has the original 151 which are a big hook for older, lapsed fans.

But I agree with a previous poster, it will most likely be region neutral. Best chance would be for it to be based on a small "town" - with its gym (that can hold a show or a ride), a pokemon center/market that doubles as a shop, and things like that.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alicia has followed up with a post about the Yoshi attraction. Sounds like a cute C/D ticket level attraction.

Oh my god that sounds great!! Just the variety of characters and objects on the ride will be a feast to look at. Also hearing how it will lend kinetic energy to the park sounds very good.

Can't wait to hear an in-depth take on Mario Kart and Mine Cart Madness in the future!