• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
My only hope is that they realise that this isn't just for kids and they create some attractions that adult thrill seekers can enjoy too.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
My only hope is that they realise that this isn't just for kids and they create some attractions that adult thrill seekers can enjoy too.

Big thrills are probably not coming if Nintendo doesnt want to, or they start using they more young-adult IPs. Maybe Zelda gets something a little bit more thrilling in the future. Orall of the Nintendo expansions do more than better and they have the balls for a third or fourth expansion in Orlando's third themed as a Nintendo sci fi land with Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero mixed, were without a doubt there would be a coaster there (I think those a 3 franchises are not able to carry a land by themselves sadly, but Nintendos luck is that all of them are sci fi space based and they can work united).

Even then Mario Kart and DK are going to be mild thrill family rides in the vein of the Potter ones, with Yoshi being the only actual non thrill ride.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely checking this out when I visit my bro in Tampa next year. Will have to time it right so it's finished.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Looks kind of smallish, is it a section of. A bigger park right? Or will it require its oen ticket?

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Looks kind of smallish, is it a section of. A bigger park right? Or will it require its oen ticket?

Just a section of existing parks. You won't need specific admission to get into it.

Edit - I don't think the model fully sells the scale of the land. Theme park lands are generally very horizontal, so I think the verticality of the Mario section is going to be very impressive in person. The DK area looks like it could be a bit cramped, though it might be expanded since it will be constructed as part of a new theme park instead of being shoehorned into an existing area.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looks like a park for ants...

Also surprised at no Pokemon but then they should just have a Pokemon world and have it over and done with.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they had this somewhere in the EU, I'll find it it hard to justify flying that far just for this.
Yet I know I'll manage to convince myself, somehow.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of maybe the Yoshi omimover ride, the concepts behind the Mario Kart ride and Donkey Kong rail ride sounds pretty cool and should be nice for the adults. Probably more so the DK ride.

I still can't believe they axed the Pokémon section.
How can they axe something that never existed or was planned? 🤔

I wish they had this somewhere in the EU, I'll find it it hard to justify flying that far just for this.
Yet I know I'll manage to convince myself, somehow.
I'm surprised there isn't a Universal Studios in EU. Maybe after they build the 3rd park in Orlando that they might build an EU one.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see if they are going to offer any kind of unique food here

Hopefully some stores too that have exclusive Nintendo merchandise?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a section of existing parks. You won't need specific admission to get into it.

Edit - I don't think the model fully sells the scale of the land. Theme park lands are generally very horizontal, so I think the verticality of the Mario section is going to be very impressive in person. The DK area looks like it could be a bit cramped, though it might be expanded since it will be constructed as part of a new theme park instead of being shoehorned into an existing area.

With it moving from Kidzone to Park 3, they should definitely expand the DK area. Right now it looks like a Skull Island type of "land" which is just a highly themed area to house a ride and outdoor gift shop. Would be nice if they added a restaurant and perhaps a bigger shop.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Brilliant! I'm actually glad the plans are for 2023. It will give me time to save some money.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
This should be much bigger. There is so much potential here. Mario is almost as recognizable as Mickey Mouse. Nintendo and their franchises deserve a park the size of a Disney park........with Peach's castle being the centerpiece.
I could see it split up into different zones (Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc). Nintendo would make a killing....

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is in development still. I was told there were competing concepts, both were shelved temporarily, and now one is being worked on again.

Very interesting to hear!

I'm curious if for Pokemon Land they pull an iconic location from the games, or do an original location like Galaxy's Edge. Hoping for the former here! :)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
oh man. We are going to Orlando parks this Xmas and then probably won't be back for at least 5 years. :sigh:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This should be much bigger. There is so much potential here. Mario is almost as recognizable as Mickey Mouse. Nintendo and their franchises deserve a park the size of a Disney park........with Peach's castle being the centerpiece.
I could see it split up into different zones (Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc). Nintendo would make a killing....

Theme park management is absurdly expensive (and risky), and an ENTIRE park with such specific theming would be really, really difficult to retrofit into another theme if the concept fails financially and Nintendo needs to pull out. Nintendo is never going to foot the bill for an entire theme park and no one should expect them to - licensed lands within other people's parks is the ideal solution.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I gotta wonder how this even got leaked. The pictures are too clean and well-shot to have been someone being quick and sneaky with the model. They're good enough to release as official promo pics.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta wonder how this even got leaked. The pictures are too clean and well-shot to have been someone being quick and sneaky with the model. They're good enough to release as official promo pics.
theme parks seem to be pretty leaky, but when you're talking about large scale construction, keeping shit under wraps is nigh impossible

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we would've gotten a better view of Peach's Castle because now I'm really curious what is in it. I would've guessed it would be the restaurant and Toad's House the gift shop, but Toad's House is the restaurant instead.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
theme parks seem to be pretty leaky, but when you're talking about large scale construction, keeping shit under wraps is nigh impossible
That's true, but leaks are almost never as clear cut as this. It's usually secondhand information in the rumor mill or extrapolation from permits. Part of a presentation on Fantastic Worlds leaked recently, but those were pictures that looked hastily shot and unclear. And even the leaked Hagrid concept art came out relatively close to when it was officially released. This Nintendo stuff is both too clean and too far out (mainly because of DK) and that's what's throwing me off.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
While this is cool, I hate that it's just all Mario characters :/

Basically this is Mushroom Kingdom resort + dk not a Nintendo world

lameeeeeee

Where Zelda at Nintendo

There were rumors that Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure was getting a Zelda-retheme, with Poseidon's Fury becoming a Hyrule Castle walk-through attraction and the Sinbad stunt show getting Link and Zelda. Not sure if that's still happening.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
If they're not playing Mine Cart Madness on speakers while you go through the minecart roller coaster, they've failed.

I do hope there's a lot to the DK land. Like, plenty of Kongs, and Kremlings, and Snowmads. Ellie the fucking elephant being there is kind of bizarre so it leaves me hopeful we'll see more than just DK + Diddy + Rambi, if this is real. But the characters need to talk, dammit. Don't waste the humor potential the series has.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is in development still. I was told there were competing concepts, both were shelved temporarily, and now one is being worked on again.
Nice to see you here theme park joe!
Do anybody of you guys at the orlando forums know whats rumoured to go inside Peach's Castle? Royal restaruant to compete against Disney maybe?

Also if one of pokemons ideas is to make something cyberpunky similar to Rime City in detective Pikachu, and they add this to the Fantastic Worlds park, isntead of the other 2, it could be a nice transition to a (hopefully even if a doubt it) use of Nintendo's scifi IPs like Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero all in once sci fi land. Of course, if this happens in the future it will be in the very far future and Nintendo should have to probably need to transition to a more media company, with movies and tv shows of this franchises. Its very difficult that would happen but I want my f-zero coaster and metroid and star fox dark rides dammit! lol

If they're not playing Mine Cart Madness on speakers while you go through the minecart roller coaster, they've failed.

I do hope there's a lot to the DK land. Like, plenty of Kongs, and Kremlings, and Snowmads. Ellie the fucking elephant being there is kind of bizarre so it leaves me hopeful we'll see more than just DK + Diddy + Rambi, if this is real. But the characters need to talk, dammit. Don't waste the humor potential the series has.

I know its for the rocket barrels, but I prefer the barrel music from tropical freeze much more for a coaster ride:

And I hope, after changing plans, and king k rool appearing on smash, the plans for tiki and snowmads have changed and only kremlins and k rool appear as characters. Im sorry but fuck retros enemies.

Last edited:

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I want a goddamn Squawks plushie and I want it now

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I doubt they planned a big presence for Tikis or Snowmads in the land. Everything we've seen along with the rumors points to Kongs and animal buddies being physically present. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they made an effort to give the Kremlings more park presence either given how big their popularity is, though I wouldn't expect them to be ride animatronics or anything.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Nice to see you here theme park joe!
Do anybody of you guys at the orlando forums know whats rumoured to go inside Peach's Castle? Royal restaruant to compete against Disney maybe?

Also if one of pokemons ideas is to make something cyberpunky similar to Rime City in detective Pikachu, and they add this to the Fantastic Worlds park, isntead of the other 2, it could be a nice transition to a (hopefully even if a doubt it) use of Nintendo's scifi IPs like Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero all in once sci fi land. Of course, if this happens in the future it will be in the very far future and Nintendo should have to probably need to transition to a more media company, with movies and tv shows of this franchises. Its very difficult that would happen but I want my f-zero coaster and metroid and star fox dark rides dammit! lol

Yoooooo. At this point it sounds like the castle is just the entrance foyer and reveal point for the land, no restaurants. But I love the idea and I hope they expand the castle to include something like that in Orlando.

As for Pokemon, it's too early to tell what it'll be. One of the concepts I heard was more focused on Pokemon Go than the traditional games, that's the one that got permanently shelved. I imagine GF and Nintendo weren't too happy with that idea.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yoooooo. At this point it sounds like the castle is just the entrance foyer and reveal point for the land, no restaurants. But I love the idea and I hope they expand the castle to include something like that in Orlando.

As for Pokemon, it's too early to tell what it'll be. One of the concepts I heard was more focused on Pokemon Go than the traditional games, that's the one that got permanently shelved. I imagine GF and Nintendo weren't too happy with that idea.

Thank god pokemon go was shelved lol
It would be a pity if its just an entrance (I suppose you would enter trhough the pipe and then the exit is one of the castles doors?). I just hope the interior has the paintings, the sky walls and the chessboard floors (and of course peach's castle theme).
Thanks for the info!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Pokémon Go? Lmao thank god that is shelved. Nobody wants that geez that would've lead to so many pissed off people

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Thank god pokemon go was shelved lol
It would be a pity if its just an entrance (I suppose you would enter trhough the pipe and then the exit is one of the castles doors?). I just hope the interior has the paintings, the sky walls and the chessboard floors (and of course peach's castle theme).
Thanks for the info!

Yeah you enter the pipe and go up an escalator to the second floor, cross an enclosed bridge (there's a backstage street in USJ here), and walk out of the castle there.

Pokémon Go? Lmao thank god that is shelved. Nobody wants that geez that would've lead to so many pissed off people

It was one of two proposals. If you think about it I could see why Universal would think this is a good way to go: lots of downloads, free game, exposure, do it in the parks, etc. I am happy it seems that's shelved.

How is there no Luigi's Mansion?
Also a StarFox VR/AR type experience

Luigi's Mansion had a walk through experience in the original "everything and the kitchen sink" concept but it seems to have been cut to focus on a select number of things. Maybe in the future?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. Food and merch is their big moneymaker for Potter and I doubt it will be different with Nintendo. Prepare to be gouged with exclusive amiibos and all other sorts of temptations.
It warms my heart to know that, even if the world's supply of K. Rool amiibo dry up at regular stores, there will always be an infinite supply of them in the DK area's Fly 'N Buy... albeit at prices of $50, but still

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I was at Universal Hollywood a couple weeks ago - and you can clearly see down and into the construction zone.

But given the footprints Singapore / Hollywood and even Osaka have to deal with, just kind of wrap your heads around it a little bit considering they need room for ride buildings.

Attractions Magazine just posted some new photos from this weekend:

Total Hollywood Footprint:

Super-Nintendo-World-47.jpg

Here's a closer look at the Mario Kart "track"

Super-Nintendo-World-49.jpg

While the Hollywood land should be smaller than Osaka / Orlando, the actual Mario Kart footprint should be pretty similar. The ride itself seems to take up a similar amount of space that Transformers does - though Transformers obviously stops in front of screens for big periods. I'm assuming Mario Kart is going to use similar tricks to "extend" its track length.