• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is it?

• Ayy lmao

Votes: 707 43.6%
  • I want to believe

Votes: 362 22.3%
  • Swamp gas

Votes: 106 6.5%
  • I really don't care do u

Votes: 158 9.7%
  • Batman

Votes: 289 17.8%

• Total voters

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Well, at least it's better than the barrage of crappy news for 2020! C'mon aliens, sort all these shitty news headlines out.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
One of the mylar balloons at my sons birthday party got loose yesterday. I think this is it. Sorry.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Enhance...

When you zoom in on the object in the original/"untouched" cockpit photo, there are clearly some sort of lines/strokes above the object, which for some reason are not visible in the cropped shot in the OP. (and I'm guessing the original article)

Cropped photo from OP (brightness/contrast-adjusted)
cube-fo_originalozjxh.png

Cropped/zoomed-in from original full-size cockpit shot in OP (brightness/contrast-adjusted)
cube-focgk9c.png

Now I'm not a digital photo forensics expert, but doesn't that look like a brush stroke someone made in Photoshop?

That, or some kind of energy field around the cube-fo/camp tent/dark knight or whatever the fuck that is.
Could be a force field to make it impervious to space rocks and missile strikes?

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I absolutely knew it!!! This photo confirms everything I supected about hunter biden and ukraine.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I think in 2020, with social media having perpetuated conspiracy horse-shit from amusing irrelevance, into incredibly damaging mainstream politics, I look at alien narratives being pushed exactly the same way as I look at Q-Anon narratives being pushed about globalist devil worshiping vampires. Basically I don't think conspiracy shit should be posted here.

I know aliens is slightly more fun and palatable, and we all like sci-fi, but this ultimately exists on the same adult fantasy daydream bucket as Q-Anon. We need to stop indulging in it for the good of peoples brains. It's damaging and we need better education.

And I'm sick of appeals to authority too, I don't care if a pilot thinks they saw something, or if their superior backed them up. Pilots are just regular people who make mistakes all the time. The US military literally bombed the shit out of their allies multiple times in recently memory dude to misidentification, and I'm supposed to believe in the thousands of sorties they do a year no pilot has ever made a mistake in identifying an object in the middle of the air with no frame of reference for scale or distance?
Yup. It amazes me how much people on this forum love to pride themselves on being rational, but as soon as it comes to stuff like this they start entertaining conspiracy theories. It doesn't matter if many are half-joking. Normalizing this kind of paranoia is dangerous.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I think in 2020, with social media having perpetuated conspiracy horse-shit from amusing irrelevance, into incredibly damaging mainstream politics, I look at alien narratives being pushed exactly the same way as I look at Q-Anon narratives being pushed about globalist devil worshiping vampires. Basically I don't think conspiracy shit should be posted here.

I know aliens is slightly more fun and palatable, and we all like sci-fi, but this ultimately exists on the same adult fantasy daydream bucket as Q-Anon. We need to stop indulging in it for the good of peoples brains. It's damaging and we need better education.

And I'm sick of appeals to authority too, I don't care if a pilot thinks they saw something, or if their superior backed them up. Pilots are just regular people who make mistakes all the time. The US military literally bombed the shit out of their allies multiple times in recently memory dude to misidentification, and I'm supposed to believe in the thousands of sorties they do a year no pilot has ever made a mistake in identifying an object in the middle of the air with no frame of reference for scale or distance?
I mostly agree with this.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Enhance...

When you zoom in on the object in the original/"untouched" cockpit photo, there are clearly some sort of lines/strokes above the object, which for some reason are not visible in the cropped shot in the OP. (and I'm guessing the original article)

Cropped/zoomed-in from original full-size cockpit shot in OP (brightness/contrast-adjusted)
cube-focgk9c.png

Could it just be compression when someone cropped it and converted to png or whatever.

Now I'm not a digital photo forensics expert, but doesn't that look like a brush stroke someone made in Photoshop?

That, or some kind of energy field around the cube-fo/camp tent/dark knight or whatever the fuck that is.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Why isn't one of the poll options U.F.O. This after all meets the very definition. Also the inability for people to simply say "yo I don't know what the fuck that is" is crazy to me.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Why isn't one of the poll options U.F.O. This after all meets the very definition. Also the inability for people to simply say "yo I don't know what the fuck that is" is crazy to me.

Why does you mind jump to anything other than "That looks like a balloon"? Like, I didn't even see everyone else's posts before I decided "Huh, that's a good balloon... where the fucking cube?"

If I unexpectedly saw something that looked like chair in the woods, I would think its a chair, not that it might be big foot.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm just impressed that they were able to snap a decent pic of that balloon while moving so damn fast.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Why does you mind jump to anything other than "That looks like a balloon"? Like, I didn't even see everyone else's posts before I decided "Huh, that's a good balloon... where the fucking cube?"

If I unexpectedly saw something that looked like chair in the woods, I would think its a chair, not that it might be big foot.

Uh.... the descriptions in the OP's quotes?
Is the object a research balloon? Probably not, two defense officials tell McMillan. "Pilots who encountered the object described that, unlike a balloon under similar conditions, the object was completely motionless and seemingly unaffected by ambient air currents," he writes.

Oct 27, 2017
why release this bs I mean its ridiculous. Is there a secondary motive here?

The program referenced that this photo came from led to several back channels for private contractors. Essentially super easy way for certain shady fucks to bypass freedom of information requests while giving their buds huge uncontested government contracts.

I dont think these were actually meant to be released, wasn't it leaked? The ones they meant to release were the ones not so easily (but still totally) explained by youtube amateurs. The program probably had copies of all pilot reports, some more convincing/confusing than others. My guess at least. Which, if accurate means they basically just outsourced the real work of explanation to the public while keeping these secretive projects and contracts and backchannels free of accountability active.

Last edited:

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020

Post of the year. And I want to believe lol. People are just looking for stuff to fill their mundane lives with. It's usually stuff like this, anti-vax, Q-Anon etc.

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It used to be fun goofy whimsy to talk about UFOs and "Aliens built the pyramids" 20 years ago, but thanks to fucking YouTube and social media it's all bled into far more harmful shit now. You're only a few clicks away from some dangerous stuff and if you're already in the mindset to be "asking questions" that makes you a prime target. It all needs to be culled.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Enhance...

cube-focgk9c.png

This is just compression artifacting. Jpegs separate images into blocks (8x8 pixels I think) instead of rendering it all individually which results in jumbled pixels of colour and sort of a haloing effect. Just looks like a scaling of that compression or second compression artifacting and how it interpreted it.

Oct 30, 2017
Enhance...

cube-focgk9c.png

That's just JPEG artifacts.

Graphic designer here.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Enhance...

cube-focgk9c.png

....I can't be the only one whose ever zoomed in on a jpeg before, right? That's just from the image being compressed.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm not saying it's aliens, but you guys thinking that the object in the picture is a birthday balloon when the object is probably miles away from the jet is ludicrous.

The eyes can see about 3 miles on the ground. But unobstructed vision while in a plane can be as much as 12 miles. That thing is a lot farther away than you think but it looks closer because you don't have a frame of reference with nothing else around it.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying it's aliens, but you guys thinking that the object in the picture is a birthday balloon when the object is probably miles away from the jet is ludicrous.

The eyes can see about 3 miles on the ground. But unobstructed vision while in a plane can be as much as 12 miles. That thing is a lot farther away than you think but it looks closer because you don't have a frame of reference with nothing else around it.
Exactly. That Batman balloon people keep reposting here is 40cm in size, that's the size of a PS5. For you to be able to snap a casually pic with your cellphone of a PS5 at that size like in the picture you would have to be around 2-3 meters (6-8feet) from it away. This object looks way further away than that, so it has to be something significantly bigger.

Furthermore, the report says that the object was completely motionless and didn't react to any ambient wind currents. They would know if it was a balloon, come on now people.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but Era saying its a batman ballon is equally ridiculous.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019

...but if you don't have a frame of reference, what makes you think it's farther away? It could be anywhere in that space.

Without more info, I fall on the "what's more likely?"question. And given it looks exactly like that balloon, and all we have is a blurry photo and a fallable human's word, I'm going to need something more to believe it's anything other than exactly what it looks like.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
...but if you don't have a frame of reference, what makes you think it's farther away? It could be anywhere in that space.

Without more info, I fall on the "what's more likely?"question. And given it looks exactly like that balloon, and all we have is a blurry photo and a fallable human's word, I'm going to need something more to believe it's anything other than exactly what it looks like.
You do know how fast those jets normally cruise at right? That jet isn't standing still when they took the pic...

Maybe I'm getting trolled here i can't tell