• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is it?

• Ayy lmao

Votes: 707 43.6%
  • I want to believe

Votes: 362 22.3%
  • Swamp gas

Votes: 106 6.5%
  • I really don't care do u

Votes: 158 9.7%
  • Batman

Votes: 289 17.8%

• Total voters

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm it's a tough one. Is it proof of alien life visiting us or is it, as the article shows a picture of, something like a dropsonde balloon where the GPS device has become detached. Decisions, decisions.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I was a total skeptic a few years back but lately, after so many pilot sightings, I'm willing to keep my mind open....so maybe?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I'm less convinced that this is alien tech as opposed to really confidential aviation technology by a country or another.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
okay but to reiterate it's a Batman balloon

6-F33-F0-D6-BF5-E-4-A60-B88-B-AF6-F0-FAED0-EF.jpg

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Thats actually funny and something I hadn't considered... Aliens wouldn't need to be 5-6ft tall like a regular human, they could well fit inside a 40cm ship haha. Imagine if we finally got contact and they were like up to our knees.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is this just a way to generate interest and take tax dollars or what? These "leaked" photos and videos scream scam to me.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Unidentified Flying Object does not equal alien craft, merely objects that at time of observation are not recognised.

It's funny because the term UFO was coined in attempt to distance the common parlance 'flying saucer' popular in the late 40s/50s.
After many decades UFO has ended up being synonymous with 'alien spaceship' to the extent that the Pentagon now use the term Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) when referring to unusual sightings.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
They'll use AI to zoom right into the image.

They'll see a window.

What could it be?

A pilot of some kind?

Zoom in closer.

A drunk Nic Cage is clearly seen behind the controls.

Oh Nic Cage, you so crazy.

You can just bring your cellphone with you while cruising around in a fighter jet?

How else are you going to become a big Tik Tok star and quit the Navy for a life of personal appearances in failing malls?

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I believe in life being in abundance around the universe.

Do I believe in any of them being able to visit us? No.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I'm happy that Era have more intelligent users when it comes to politics, gaming, science, and general nerd stuff, but ya'll are just no fun when it comes to UFO, Bigfoot, or Loch Ness monster threads. 😭

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ableist Slur
Pilot: Are you an alien?
A28-ACBFA-54-ED-4-EC5-AFBA-0-C466226-D24-B.jpg

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I like how parents of every educational background immediately recognized a children's party balloon, while super serious "U.S. officials" describe it as a mysterious "cube-shaped" object. Maybe it's not a balloon, but what the hell is up with "cube-shaped"?

Like if you weren't aware already, the past four years revealed how easy it is for unqualified dumb-as-shit loons to bootlick their way into senior government positions.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
UFOs are funny things. Don't we have amazing imaging tech and satellites? Yet it is always blurry nonsense.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Was there ever any mentioning of it and irregular speeds? If there aren't any mentions, then it is definitely the Batman balloon. But, if irregular speeds and such are mentioned, it's something else.

Oct 27, 2017
okay but to reiterate it's a Batman balloon

6-F33-F0-D6-BF5-E-4-A60-B88-B-AF6-F0-FAED0-EF.jpg
This is pretty embarrassing for everyone involved, including Popular Mechanics

Unidentified Flying Object does not equal alien craft, merely objects that at time of observation are not recognised.

It's funny because the term UFO was coined in attempt to distance the common parlance 'flying saucer' popular in the late 40s/50s.
After many decades UFO has ended up being synonymous with 'alien spaceship' to the extent that the Pentagon now use the term Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) when referring to unusual sightings.

And "flying saucer" was a misinterpretation from the original description, according to the witness credited with the term (he did not mean they were saucer-shaped):

ARNOLD: These objects more or less fluttered like they were, oh, I'd say, boats on very rough water or very rough air of some type, and when I described how they flew, I said that they flew like they take a saucer and throw it across the water. Most of the newspapers misunderstood and misquoted that too. They said that I said that they were saucer-like; I said that they flew in a saucer-like fashion.

The Man Who Introduced the World to Flying Saucers

Kenneth Arnold saw something, said something, and ushered in the UFO-industrial complex.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
'No guys, our trillion dollar military can't fly closer to investigate the balloon, er, aircraft. Now please use this evidence to allow the government to open several unregulated backchannels with minimal oversight and to award extremely lucrative uncontested contracts to "believers" without question, thank you.'

What a fucking joke. The alien and UFO threads always kind of tilt me.

Last edited:

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Aliens have surpassed our understanding of cubes and the shape they traditionally have been!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to tell what it is, but the first posts seems to have the best explanation.

Birthday balloons would look way too small from the perspective of the pilot, but it does look like some sort of bal;oon, very likely a private one trying to get to space that partially deflated, causing the dent seen.

I also highly doubt most pilots see balloons this high up regularly , especially if it's one that is potentially deflated.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
.8382 meters is less than .5 meters?
wat
My guesstimate of balloon size was off.

I am now agreeing it has to be a Batman balloon. Which makes me quite amazed by the ability of the radar officer to spot it AND take a phone shot of it. Even when I see something exciting while driving at 10x less speed I barely have time to grab my phone from my suit pocket, let alone take a shot that's so clear (granted there's less obstacles and a lot of light in the conditions the pic was taken in, this appreciation is not sarcasm but more just to note that it's not an easy shot to get).

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think in 2020, with social media having perpetuated conspiracy horse-shit from amusing irrelevance, into incredibly damaging mainstream politics, I look at alien narratives being pushed exactly the same way as I look at Q-Anon narratives being pushed about globalist devil worshiping vampires. Basically I don't think conspiracy shit should be posted here.

I know aliens is slightly more fun and palatable, and we all like sci-fi, but this ultimately exists on the same adult fantasy daydream bucket as Q-Anon. We need to stop indulging in it for the good of peoples brains. It's damaging and we need better education.

And I'm sick of appeals to authority too, I don't care if a pilot thinks they saw something, or if their superior backed them up. Pilots are just regular people who make mistakes all the time. The US military literally bombed the shit out of their allies multiple times in recently memory dude to misidentification, and I'm supposed to believe in the thousands of sorties they do a year no pilot has ever made a mistake in identifying an object in the middle of the air with no frame of reference for scale or distance?

Last edited:

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Enhance...

When you zoom in on the object in the original/"untouched" cockpit photo, there are clearly some sort of lines/strokes above the object, which for some reason are not visible in the cropped shot in the OP. (and I'm guessing the original article)

Cropped photo from OP (brightness/contrast-adjusted)
cube-fo_originalozjxh.png

Cropped/zoomed-in from original full-size cockpit shot in OP (brightness/contrast-adjusted)
cube-focgk9c.png

Now I'm not a digital photo forensics expert, but doesn't that look like a brush stroke someone made in Photoshop?

That, or some kind of energy field around the cube-fo/camp tent/dark knight or whatever the fuck that is.

Last edited: