• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
While I would have advised Dusk to not do this and open himself up I feel his reasoning is just human. He gets attacked every time he leaks something, and I don't mean the discussion about the harm of leaks in general, I mean people just attack him. Claim he is a liar, that he doesn't know what he speaks of and it follows him around all over. Even though he has been on the money about most everything and that wears on you, you want to prove you have the goods. He has the goods, He feels he still needs to prove it to others, I say he's done enough and just let it go.
Honestly, I think the ego and validation aspect comes into play when you get overly concerned whether people believe you and you feel you have to prove yourself to them. I can actually understand and empathize with knowing about leaks/spoilers, being excited about them, and wanting to discuss them with someone. But reading between the lines, Dusk Golem seems to really want people to believe that he's important and knows stuff.

I mean, look at these posts:
"I'm still feeling out where I want to be. I am seriously in a position I could hurt a lot of devs with things I'm starting to get ahold of, and I don't really want that. But I also can prove I'm not bullshitting, and I think some light teases and small things are fine, so feeling out what feels right basically. What causes only a little damage for devs (nothing too bad), is fun, and raises intrigue & discourse, plus people can see is true later."
"Don't worry, I'm literally just planning to post the Odin concept art (as interesting, but not too spoilery, and can be proven in the near future) and a two second gameplay clip when the gameplay trailer is released (it's nothing spoiler-y, just an unlisted video I uploaded about a month ago so I can link the unlisted video later to prove I'm not bullshitting and people can see the date it was uploaded on YouTube.)

Last edited:

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
IIRC there was some pushback about the Alone in the Dark leaks as well, and how Dusk went about it.

Obviously a more popular IP is going to have a more active discussion.

Even though he has been on the money about most everything and that wears on you, you want to prove you have the goods. He has the goods, He feels he still needs to prove it to others, I say he's done enough and just let it go.

RUyncTp.gif

That doesn't make these leaks ok, but the accusations of clout chasing continue to just be really absurd considering who Dusk actually is.
I mean, the actual leak we can see in the thread had "Dusk Golem was here" on it in giant letters. Saying "it's not about clout" is a really tough argument to make when talking about this leak in particular.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retired leaker strikes again. Saying we shouldn't worry about further leaks from them just rings so hollow. The fact that this was even posted is already raising anxieties about months of dodging spoilers. But yeah. I'm not surprised anymore. This is leak culture.

I'm tired.
At least it's all in one thread, which others can avoid.

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
Someone tell Adrian Wojnarowski to quit!

Never understood the leak thing, especially since I'm so used to shit like that in sports lol.
As a huge baseball fan and also a developer, the effects of a leak in sports are nowhere near as damaging as the effects of a leak in games. Most of what is leaked in sports is around trade/contract talks (with the occasional injury detail) - games have a lot more around preserving surprise, information rollout, etc etc.

There is SO much planning we do around this and clout chasing leakers do a lot of damage, even if it's seemingly small like this. Telling that the vast majority of developers in here are against it - we're the ones in the trenches, we understand it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
LMAO. There was a stubborn user in the official GOW sub arguing with me so agressively stating that Odin needs to be a bulky body builder based on nothingness BS. Now I want to see his reactions. XD

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's pathetic how people are lashing at Dusk Golem when Tom Henderson has been leaking stuff constantly for several months and hardly anyone bats an eye.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
People only care about how leaks effect developers if it's a games they really anticipate and even then they'll be scrounging for any tidbits they can while simultaneously calling out leakers for clout chasing

So forgive me for being so done with some of the crap I hear on this forum

While some people are hypocritical like that a lot of people aren`t. You are also dodging what I said about devs saying that leaks hurt them. You can be sick with some users here, but telling people that they are wrong for not liking leaks is kind of a dick move considering what devs have said about the subject.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
While some people are hypocritical like that a lot of people aren`t. You are also dodging what I said about devs saying that leaks hurt them. You can be sick with some users here, but telling people that they are wrong for not liking leaks is kind of a dick move considering what devs have said about the subject.
Wait, my original point is that people here only care about leaks if it's about games they really anticipate not that leaks are actually okay

I'm not gonna talk about leaks and the morality of them

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
""I'm still feeling out where I want to be. I am seriously in a position I could hurt a lot of devs with things I'm starting to get ahold of, and I don't really want that. But I also can prove I'm not bullshitting, and I think some light teases and small things are fine, so feeling out what feels right basically. What causes only a little damage for devs (nothing too bad), is fun, and raises intrigue & discourse, plus people can see is true later.""

What is this post from his Reddit? Leaking is whatever but you make it sound like your getting off on it lol
That's downright pathetic.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It's pathetic how people are lashing at Dusk Golem when Tom Henderson has been leaking stuff constantly for several months and hardly anyone bats an eye.

So those of us who HAVE taken Tom to task should just stop then right? Because others didn't?

What kind of logic is that?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I understand some leaks are more news/noteworthy but this....anyone who is interested in God of War is going to see this in a few months and anybody who isn't ...why would they care? This seems like pure ego stroke.

Exactly! For such people ranting about this it is liek saying to them: look there is Odin in this game! For eal? Then amssive meltdown.
Dunno what is this different from devs officially revealing Thor and this.
If someone wants to go full blackout, then he needs to just stop using the internet until the game releases.

MoonCoffee8

Banned
Aug 30, 2020
I don't think leaking itself is necessarily the problem.
It took leaks for Naughty Dog to reveal any gameplay from the Part I remake and admit they don't offer gameplay improvements.
That should've never happened for a game that was one month out at the time.

The real problem is the quality and behaviour of the leakers, and whether they choose to fabricate long-winded conjecture for the sake of getting more attention. This particular leaker clearly has issues and shouldn't be allowed here yet people will defend them like they're a god.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't those the gem eyes from Mimir? If Mimir coudl recover both his eyes then why Odin have full eyes now?
Another one of those time paradox shenanigans?

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Wait, my original point is that people here only care about leaks if it's about games they really anticipate not that leaks are actually okay

I'm not gonna talk about leaks and the morality of them

Ah! My bad then. I thought the line about how this won`t afect the sales of GoW was meant to imply that the leaks wouldn`t hurt anything. My bad!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The real problem is the quality and behaviour of the leakers, and whether they choose to fabricate long-winded conjecture for the sake of getting more attention. This particular leaker clearly has issues and shouldn't be allowed here yet people will defend them like they're a god.

Their recent reddit post that has been quoted a few times, where they wilfully say they don't mind posting things that cause the devs a little damage because "it's fun", should really be all the proof behind the motivations that we need, but peeps will still worship Dusk and defend him as "passionate".

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If Odin really doesn't look like the concept art, we've reached a double point of "why even bother" with this leak.

N2BearHugs

May 29, 2018
This thread makes me feel a twinge of sadness for Dusk and what motivates him. And that's all. No more or less hype for the game itself.

So… shrug?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
At least it's all in one thread, which others can avoid.

Yeah, for sure. My comment was mostly about the contradictions between what the leaker is saying vs what they're doing. Just my own frustrations. It's good that things are in their own threads. Kinda just need to step away from all of that.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
User banned (1 week): unneeded hostility
""I'm still feeling out where I want to be. I am seriously in a position I could hurt a lot of devs with things I'm starting to get ahold of, and I don't really want that. But I also can prove I'm not bullshitting, and I think some light teases and small things are fine, so feeling out what feels right basically. What causes only a little damage for devs (nothing too bad), is fun, and raises intrigue & discourse, plus people can see is true later.""

EDIT: Removing my original comment since it was honestly too mean.

I'll just summarize and say that what constitutes to "only a little damage for the devs" is not for you to decide, and I'm sure every developer who has had a surprise ruined in service of someone else leaking it for fake internet clout would think it's extremely not cool.

Last edited:

franloradr

Jul 3, 2022
It ruins the surprise for those who wants to be ruined by the spoilers, thats all

if someone has secret information about the plot of the game and wants to share with other folks that also want to discuss about whats about to come, they shouldnt be harassed by the rest for openning a thread informing at the top of it that spoilers are expected to be discussed inside

And by the way, thats completly different from what a reduce group of idiots always try to when an important game is near which is trying to ruin others gamers by sending PM's with spoilers -> this is vomitive

Oct 27, 2017
I always forget how heated Dusk threads get until a new one arises.

I don't mind spoilers but hearing from Devs recently how much these leaks really deflate their enthusiasm for their hard work has kind of put me off from really engaging with them anymore. Starting now.

Wasn't he the one that acted like a mega asshole when KojimaProductions asked him to take stuff down? They get more of a pass sure, but they're often just matter of factly leaking stuff instead of creating an air of mystery and baiting. Doesn't make it any less shitty towards the developers though.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't he the one that acted like a mega asshole when KojimaProductions asked him to take stuff down? They get more of a pass sure, but they're often just matter of factly leaking stuff instead of creating an air of mystery and baiting. Doesn't make it any less shitty towards the developers though.

Yep, that's him.

And Jeff Grubb was getting called out on here too for his handling of recent "leaks" but these things are getting ignored as people here simply have a soft spot for Dusk and his "passion".

Status
Not open for further replies.