• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
kowalski

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
To give a very genuine response, though not an excuse, the main reason isn't even for attention or clout in this case. It's mainly just to shut some people up. It's my own fault, I know, but it's mainly to validate something publicly so I can stop getting harassed by something affecting me a bit more than it probably should. I involve myself in a lot of things, but something that's followed me to a lot of corners of the internet are people wanting to make sure I know they think I'm a liar, they think I'm bullshitting them, to not believe anything I say even if completely unrelated to leaks (I compartmentalize a lot, so the crossover bothers me), it follows me a lot online and sometimes borders into weekly harassments of people who want to get one in on the "liar and deceiver". If the basis of that is believing I made shit up, I was getting a lot of GoW Ragnarok stuff recently, that's a highly anticipated game, I can release just some super small thing that can be validated later and be done with it. Raise more questionable doubt, and hopefully what I shared won't be too much trouble for the developers if its just a character design. The hope is it's the least hurtful things for the devs of one of the currently most anticipated games I can share to just get this out, and fold out. That is a selfish reason still though, and I know that. My hope is just to point this out so some of the harassment I get will stop.

Many can and should argue that doesn't justify it, but that's the reason, and why I'm one and done here. I kinda' expect a lot of hate for this answer, I don't know if I'm conveying myself well here, but it's the honest reason from my POV.
I don't know why you have to justify anything.
Leaks happen everywhere in all industries, don't blame yourself for anything.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
By leaking this you're more likely to get more harassment.

I guess that's the main thing, this thread alone is a bloodbath.

In any case (not for the user i'm mentioning specifically, but in general):

Please never justify dogpilling and harassment, in this case i fear it'll only get worse.

If you know Dusk just a tiny bit better it's easy to get he's a dorky enthusiast that can't help himself most of the times, guy is extremely passionate and very selfless, despite what most folks think.

It's just really bad timing, plus not quite matching the idea of being yourself with the damages leaking does all around.

Turns out it's just never worth it in all angles.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I do understand leaks for games that aren't announced - or games that have 'gone dark', but when it's a game in the midst of its marketing campaign I don't know what the scoop is.

These games are big projects. There are external studios contributing, there are large QA teams - yeah, things will leak... I don't think it's that interesting. There should be some other aspect of interest to a leak than 'You know that thing that's coming in three months? Well here it is now".

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
If you know Dusk just a tiny bit better it's easy to get he's a dorky enthusiast that can't help himself most of the times, guy is extremely passionate and very selfless, despite what most folks think.

It's just really bad timing, plus not quite matching the idea of being yourself with the damages leaking does all around.

Turns out it's just never worth it in all angles.
You just basically explained an addiction in a nice way

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't know why you have to justify anything.
Leaks happen everywhere in all industries, don't blame yourself for anything.

Yeah, doesn't seem good for your mental health to let it become a personal battle, either keep it businesslike or avoid leaking stuff if you feel constantly under pressure to explain yourself.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
Honestly, the responses in this thread kind of exemplify how annoying people are about leakers, especially those they have more direct access to thanks to forums and social media.

Dusk posts reliable leaks for years, gets accused of chasing clout. Retires from leaking, gets accused causing drama to chase clout. Says he knows stuff in conversations without going into details, gets accused of lying to chase clout. Leaks something to prove he knows stuff, gets accused of chasing clout.

At this point it's a vicious circle. If you don't like leaks, just don't engage and drop the hate boner. If you like leaks, enjoy - but maybe don't ask the guy "hey where's Silent Hill" in every single thread or Twitter post. Grow up.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
By leaking this you're more likely to get more harassment.

It seems like

1. Leak stuff that is right = harassment
  2. Leak stuff that is right but not shown within 24 hours = harassment
  3. Don't leak stuff = harassment
  4. Leak many things that are real but get 1 wrong = harassment

Honestly, the responses in this thread kind of exemplify how annoying people are about leakers, especially those they have more direct access to thanks to forums and social media.

Dusk posts reliable leaks for years, gets accused of chasing clout. Retires from leaking, gets accused causing drama to chase clout. Says he knows stuff in conversations without going into details, gets accused of lying to chase clout. Leaks something to prove he knows stuff, gets accused of chasing clout.

At this point it's a vicious circle. If you don't like leaks, just don't engage and drop the hate boner. If you like leaks, enjoy - but maybe don't ask the guy "hey where's Silent Hill" in every single thread or Twitter post. Grow up.

This so much, it reminds me of the MANY times Grubb has leaked something that was right, then gets 1 thing wrong and people go after him like he ran over their dog.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
It's nice to see people calling out of toxic leaks are for devs in this thread. In most leak threads it tends to only be a few people talking about how it hurts devs. It's nice to see the consensus on era shifting :)

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You just basically explained an addiction in a nice way

I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely not healthy, yes.

As a very flawed person myself, i know it comes from the best intentions but in the end it just hurts them, hence why i want to give support but not sugar-coating it in any way.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
This so much, it reminds me of the MANY times Grubb has leaked something that was right, then gets 1 thing wrong and people go after him like he ran over their dog.

Oh definitely, mentioned DG in my post because that's what the thread is about, but people have this same attitude towards Jeff Grubb, Schreier and basically any prolific person in the know.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019

Leaks hurt devs. "Just don't read them" is not a good solution. Leakers fuck over other people for personal gain. I don't see how it can be spun into something positive or even neutral.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Isn't that the same one who lied a lot about the development of Death Stranding? Anyway I had seen another image of Odin, but possibly it was fanart. He had horns and a spear.

MoonCoffee8

Banned
Aug 30, 2020
Can he also tell us that the PS5 version is struggling to run smoothly, and that it was also originally meant to be an RE spinoff on the switch? Tired of the manipulation and inability for this guy to be quiet.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know where people get the chasing clout idea from.

*sees OP post of a watermark that almost takes up the entire image*

Hmm.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely not healthy, yes.

As a very flawed person myself, i know it comes from the best intentions but in the end it just hurts them, hence why i want to give support but not sugar-coating it in any way.
I mean some of these people are directly monetizing from these types of leaks so their intentions are personal gain (not saying that is the case here) but it's like you said, one of those situations where I wouldn't go bail someone out if they got in trouble.

rognas

Feb 23, 2021
Oh, what a horrible leak. Everything surrounding GoW Ragnarok is ruined now and the gaming community will never be able to recover from this.
It's unreal how much hate some leakers get by the gaming community in general.
Did they leak something big? Burn them to the stake.
Did they leak something small. Burn them to the stake.
Did they stop leaking stuff? Burn them to the stake (it's proof they were always full of shit)
Calm down y'all.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like

1. Leak stuff that is right = harassment
  2. Leak stuff that is right but not shown within 24 hours = harassment
  3. Don't leak stuff = harassment
  4. Leak many things that are real but get 1 wrong = harassment
Since when him not leaking things gets him harassment?

It's really not hard to understand. Devs puts a lot of effort into making games. The least they should get is to show it in the best light possible especially when the trailer is about to drop anyway.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you couldn't make the letters smaller to see his face better?

Anyways, he looks like Baldur, I like how gritty, less mythic these gods look.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
Leaks hurt devs. Just don't read them is not a good solution. Leakers fuck over other people for personal gain. I don't see how it can be spun into something positive or even neutral.

Correction: leaks can hurt devs. There are definitely situations where they go too far, but I guarantee nobody was losing hairs over Jeff Grubb saying the name of Star Wars Jedi Survivor, for example.

When your sources are devs directly and you can ask them if they're cool with sharing what you know, it's a very different matter to - for example - The Snitch blowing the lid on Summer Game Fest because they've seen the YouTube backend.

Can he also tell us that the PS5 version is struggling to run smoothly, and that it was also originally meant to be an RE spinoff on the switch? Tired of the manipulation and inability for this guy to be quiet.

A perfect example of my point. What manipulation? The conversation instantly devolves into hyperbole with people acting like he murdered your family and gaslit you or something. Dude's just sharing what he heard on the internet. Sometimes that's going to be right, sometimes that's going to be wrong.

I don't know where people get the chasing clout idea from.

*sees OP post of a watermark that almost takes up the entire image*

Hmm.

This versus how many leaks of his without giant watermarks?

You're missing the point. Replace "chasing clout" with whatever hyperbolic internet argument of the week - let's go with "manipulation" since that's a dumb one already in this post. Point is - so what? If you don't wanna see Odin concept art before release, ignore the thread. If you wanna see Odin concept art, come into the thread and talk about how skinny he looks or something. If it turns out this isn't legit concept art? Dude probably got a wrong source. It happens.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Since when him not leaking things gets him harassment?

It's really not hard to understand. Devs puts a lot of effort into making games. The least they should get is to show it in the best light possible especially when the trailer is about to drop anyway.
Not pointing to you specifically but I only see this argument in Dusk Golem threads(or Tom Henderson for Silent Hill). When other stuff is leaked like Alone in the Dark for instance no one seems to care at all for the devs having their reveal spoiled.

Again want to stress I'm not calling you out I know nothing of your post history but I saw this sentiment a ton in the Silent Hill thread and have not seen it repeated on masse for any other leaked snippet of a game since.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Certainly looks a helluva a lot different than I was expecting...

Dusk Golem just drop that video link if its just a few seconds mate. lol Also is the trailer a decent length and more story or gameplay focused?

Bloxx Chain

Mar 19, 2018
I like Dusk. I love and respect the game developers. I'm some cases it can hurt them but I also believe that leaks can help build hype/anticipation. Thin line and all that…

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
This versus how many leaks of his without giant watermarks?

You're missing the point. Replace "chasing clout" with whatever hyperbolic internet argument of the week - let's go with "manipulation" since that's a dumb one already in this post. Point is - so what? If you don't wanna see Odin concept art before release, ignore the thread. If you wanna see Odin concept art, come into the thread and talk about how skinny he looks or something. If it turns out this isn't legit concept art? Dude probably got a wrong source. It happens.
I don't know how many leaks, I don't really follow this personality, but from what I see here they have a habit of being weird about it and going by this thread it seems to have merit. Perhaps the takeaway is to not make your personal brand about spilling info, or maybe to make the info itself be the important thing.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Correction: leaks can hurt devs. There are definitely situations where they go too far, but I guarantee nobody was losing hairs over Jeff Grubb saying the name of Star Wars Jedi Survivor, for example.

When your sources are devs directly and you can ask them if they're cool with sharing what you know, it's a very different matter to - for example - The Snitch blowing the lid on Summer Game Fest because they've seen the YouTube backend.

As you say not all leaks are egual, but I will add that even if one dev think it`s fine to leak something that does not mean that the whole team agrees. I am sure we have all worked with assholes who make our life harder once.

Where was all this drama in the Alone in the Dark leak thread?

Personally I didn`t see it and I don`t think people have the energy to talk about it in every leak thread. I don`t really get what you guys are trying to say with these posts?

I like Dusk. I love and respect the game developers. I'm some cases it can hurt them but I also believe that leaks can help build hype/anticipation. Thin line and all that…

Pretty much every dev I have seen in leak threads say that they don`t like leaks (we have one in this very thread). If you enjoy leaks then that`s fine, but they do cause harm (even if it is small) to the devs behind the games.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Haha yeah, i only care for the devs when i'm a fan 🤷🏻
So to the only way to show that you care about devs is to go into every single leak thread and talk about it? If you don`t care that`s fine, but why do you feel the need to say that other people are lying. This kinda thing kinda feels like trying to justify things to yourself.

Edit: I have talked about this in several threads. Recently in a Silent Hill thread. A franchise that I have only played one game in and don`t really care much about, but I guess I am lying about this for some reason. It can`t possibly be that devs are actually harmed by leaks because then you might feel bad I guess.

OP
OP
kowalski

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
So to the only way to show that you care about devs is to go into every single leak thread and talk about it? If you don`t care that`s fine, but why do you feel the need to say that other people are lying. This kinda thing kinda feels like trying to justify things to yourself.
Because i saw alot of members, not just one or two, who engaging with leaks threads normally.
But when it's about TLoU P1 and GoWR they acting as if the sky will fall or something.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Because i saw alot of members, not just one or two, who engaging with leaks threads normally.
But when it's about TLoU P1 and GoWR they acting as if the sky will fall or something.

I have seen the same in Silent Hill threads and others as well. There are probably some people who are the way you imply. Put painting everyone with the same brush is a dick move. Especially in a topic that cause a lot of devs anxiety and stress for no good reason.

MonadoX

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2022
Leakers only have power because hype culture demands information 24/7 about everything. You see it all throughout resetera. "When's the next showcase?" "Where's the Direct"?. "Such and such is quiet". Then leaks happen and you get mad. You can't have it both ways.

OP
OP
kowalski

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen the same in Silent Hill threads and others as well. There are probably some people who are the way you imply. Put painting everyone with the same brush is a dick move. Especially in a topic that cause a lot of devs anxiety and stress for no good reason.
I didn't mean everyone for sure.
I'm sorry if that's what you understood from what I said.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Can't help but feel people are only complaining because this is a game they are looking forward to. A leak for this, or a leak for Ubisoft open world 37 should be treated the same.

goons14

May 9, 2020
Dusk golem just post it on reddit.

iOIZO4C8wcx2ar3KcvcD4wSno5UeDn2tBSqVT3i60qc.jpg

👀👀👀

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: inflammatory accusations, if you have an issue with a post then report it instead of doing what you did

This is a thinly veiled attempt at console warring, but there is a huge difference between leaking promotional material like the Alone in the Dark leak, stuff that you'll likely see on Amazon and leaking in-game content probably not meant for public consumption outside of those that will play the game.

Both leaks suck, but one leak will likely lead into spoilers, and that's incredibly unfair not just to the devs but the fans waiting years to play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.