• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Has this happened in the past? I remember how Street Fighter 3 used feet instead of the letter K for Kick so the critical arts descriptions wouldn't say KKK.
I mean like they strait up have characters apart of " neo-shadowloo" in sfv , if they serious about this. Maybe they will rename that shit or disband it, it was a weird story thing in the first place

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean like they strait up have characters apart of " neo-shadowloo" in sfv , if they serious about this. Maybe they will rename that shit or disband it, it was a weird story thing in the first place
The designs will likely also be changed since they give off a nazi youth vibe (Ed especially).

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this means they'll clean house on certain QAnon loving voice talent they often use? And maybe they should employ a different mocap studio for their games while they're at it.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
While this is a good step, I just hope Japanese companies stop making black people with sausage lips, gold chains or built like football players. I'm so tired of seeing us represented like that. It seems like it a blanket stereotype when a lot of them create black characters.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wonder if this means they'll clean house on certain QAnon loving voice talent they often use? And maybe they should employ a different mocap studio for their games while they're at it.
I'm sure they would have already if it wasn't for Just Cause Productions, especially given how quickly they swapped out Subhuman's singer. Our best hope is whenever that in-house mo-cap studio is ready to go.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is fantastic.
I was worried they were going the other direction with SFV being made up of blonde white and japanese characters. And MH Rise being the most japanese game to ever Japan after the diverse representation in World.

Actions speak louder than words so let's see it Capcom

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wow, this is... really freaking awesome?? I'm surprised something so positive is coming out of these leaks. It's especially reassuring that they're apparently having these discussions internally and looking across the medium for positive examples and the like, but even more so that they're calling themselves out on their past mistakes. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Capcom's future, and that makes me happy. I hope we'll see the results of these discussions fairly soon.

On a related note, if we're getting a sixth Devil May Cry and Morrison is present once again, I sure hope they recast him by then.
I fully expect Morrison to be recast next time we see him, likely with a black actor (something that Capcom has taken more seriously in recent years, as shown with the General in MHW: Iceborne). It's Dante who will be harder to recast given Reuben's mo-cap studio (not impossible, mind you, just difficult).

This is fantastic.
I was worried they were going the other direction with SFV being made up of blonde white and japanese characters. And MH Rise being the most japanese game to ever Japan after the diverse representation in World.

Actions speak louder than words so let's see it Capcom
As mentioned before, SFVI & MH6 will probably be the first games we see the fruits of these plans in. And honestly, I'm curious (& cautiously optimistic) to see where they go.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I missed this when it first came out and only just found this thread, and thus this news, by accident.

I am really happy to see this. The fullest results remain to be seen still, but I think it's a direction we've been sensing for some time. I appreciate this intention on their part very much. Whether or not the primary goal is to sell more product doesn't subtract from the cultural benefit of positive and respectful representations being part of that.

As a longtime queer fan of Capcom brands I appreciate the effort and look forward to the results.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I missed this when it first came out and only just found this thread, and thus this news, by accident.

I am really happy to see this. The fullest results remain to be seen still, but I think it's a direction we've been sensing for some time. I appreciate this intention on their part very much. Whether or not the primary goal is to sell more product doesn't subtract from the cultural benefit of positive and respectful representations being part of that.

As a longtime queer fan of Capcom brands I appreciate the effort and look forward to the results.
It also somewhat correlates with some stuff they've publicly said & done not too long ago.

Between this & Square Enix's Project Athia having a black woman as the protagonist, it's nice to see Japanese companies realize the importance of diversity.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Will they keep voice actors for female characters more consistent? Or will they recast Lady and Trish again, followed by another great big shrug from fans?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I thought now would be a good time to revisit this topic since SF6 actually adhered to a lot of this for the most part going by the leaks.
www.resetera.com

Street Fighter 6 Leaks Thread (Characters, Gameplay, etc)

Cammy, Dee Jay, Juri, Rashid, Ken, Zangief, Akuma & Ed are returning. https://www.kapwing.com/videos/629a373abd3d070045a784db https://www.kapwing.com/videos/629a2b43c119c400d1a571b0 If old please delete
It makes me wonder if Monster Hunter 6 will follow suit.

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Seeing the new SF6 designs of Juri and Cammy radiating hard Rich Gay Aunts energy, I would give Capcom all the credit in the world if they have them be dating in the new game. Seeing where Cammy and Juri ended up in SF5's story mode (with Decapre), I can totally see that happening

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought now would be a good time to revisit this topic since SF6 actually adhered to a lot of this for the most part going by the leaks.
www.resetera.com

Street Fighter 6 Leaks Thread (Characters, Gameplay, etc)

Cammy, Dee Jay, Juri, Rashid, Ken, Zangief, Akuma & Ed are returning. https://www.kapwing.com/videos/629a373abd3d070045a784db https://www.kapwing.com/videos/629a2b43c119c400d1a571b0 If old please delete
It makes me wonder if Monster Hunter 6 will follow suit.

It makes me wonder how they'll handle the inevitable RE5 remake.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seeing the new SF6 designs of Juri and Cammy radiating hard Rich Gay Aunts energy, I would give Capcom all the credit in the world if they have them be dating in the new game. Seeing where Cammy and Juri ended up in SF5's story mode (with Decapre), I can totally see that happening
You wouldn't get any objections from me.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I spat my drink laughing with that sentence, take an imaginary upvote

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I said something along the lines of this in a chat last night. I doubt they would, but if they did... I would lose my mind. lol