• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I just feel like there isn't this much charitability about EA, Ubisoft, or Activision whenever they do similar stuff.
I don't know about that, but there's probably some truth to it. My opinion is just that pre-ordering any single game in this day and age is always risky and I'd never do it, but it's also very, very easy to cancel it and wait for impressions. If you don't and you end up with a game you didn't want, you can only blame yourself.

What comes to Part 1 remake, I expected way more and it's a fact that it's not going to have "Part II gameplay" like many seemed to imply, but I also want to wait for ND to actually show the game themselves. That will 100% happen in the coming weeks.

As a big fan of Tlou it's a must buy for me either way at some point, but I can't say I'm not disappointed in a major way. It would've been so amazing if we would've had a remake with Part II gameplay as it's just so good, and that's what I thought we'd get.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Is motion matching even confirmed for part 1?
There are things that have been confirmed by ND for the game that people are doubting based on this leak. Still, I would file motion matching under "new animation systems" that were talked about because it just seems like a common sense feature and a "quick win" to make the game feel more responsive and modern to play, and would be a priority and a shoo in for a studio that prides itself on its industry-leading animation.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It's disturbing how many people just watch that scene willy nilly, I'm good

Haha, this was like ND's side COVID project during pandemic transitions while they maintain their other projects. And FF7R was like a multiyear company wide endeavor. I get $70 is too much, but yall gotta take it down a couple levels here.
70 too much was already a decent complaint

Now with this info 70 is absurd

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'll still pick this up on sale eventually, but no TLOU2 gameplay/A.I./expanded exploration means I'm no longer hyped enough for Day 1. Bummer.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This is so disappointing, especially considering this is probably my favourite game series.

How hard would it have been to slightly amend encounter design and incorporate the gameplay changes that made TLOU2 so immense?

And the marketing…

Seemingly a lazy effort.
My worry is that all it is graphical changes and no gameplay changes [in terms of feel and/or mechanics]. The fact we didn't see this back in June and we had to see it through leaks is kinda strange. Especially for a game that was 3 months away
This is more current Sony marketing strategy than a TLOU thing. God of war is also close to release and they announced the date with no new gameplay.

New trailers will probably be closer to release I guess?

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Dunno about that leak, if it's indeed >70% similar to what it's going to be day1 it's a REALLY hard pass until it's nearly free

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This is more current Sony marketing strategy than a TLOU thing. God of war is also close to release and they announced the date with no new gameplay.

They have shown gameplay of God of War though.

You can get quite literally jumped on that thread if you dare to express your opinion about the direction of PlayStation
😅

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
It was blatantly obvious from the moment this cashgrab was "revealed" that'll absolutely not be something like Resi 2 remake, particularly cause that kind of treatment wouldn't make sense for a game this recent to begin with. It's a Bluepoint style remake remaster and they'll sell it on the graphics alone. And yes, it is a cashgrab.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019

For new games yes. For a remake , it just raises red flags. Especially one of the taglines was about gameplay [ now are the new accessibility options considered over gameplay. If they are then I guess their tagline is correct ]

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Images have leaked:

20220721-135936.jpg
20220721-135933.jpg
This looks fucking brilliant.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
It was blatantly obvious from the moment this cashgrab was "revealed" that'll absolutely not be something like Resi 2 remake, particularly cause that kind of treatment wouldn't make sense for a game this recent to begin with. It's a Bluepoint style remake remaster and they'll sell it on the graphics alone. And yes, it is a cashgrab.
I think it's a project to get familiar with the PS5.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I say good for Sony charging $70 if they feel the scope of development work and the demand can support that. Don't get me wrong, I won't be buying it day 1 any longer without more substantial changes over the PS4 Remaster, but I'll eventually get it on sale to replace/upgrade that prior version in my game library.

What I will rake Sony over the coals for is their scummy marketing tactics: opening preorders without showing gameplay and implying there are going to be more significant gameplay improvements than there apparently are. Sony knew exactly what they were doing with this approach. I hope anyone who feels like they are no longer getting their money's worth cancels their preorder.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Buying and playing day 1 but Sony should not have priced this at $70.00. New images and gameplay lips look good tho

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
This is so disappointing, especially considering this is probably my favourite game series.

How hard would it have been to slightly amend encounter design and incorporate the gameplay changes that made TLOU2 so immense?

And the marketing…

Seemingly a lazy effort.
JFC dude the entire visual look was revamped. What's lazy about this?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say good for Sony charging $70 if they feel the scope of development work and the demand can support that. Don't get me wrong, I won't be buying it day 1 any longer without more substantial changes over the PS4 Remaster, but I'll eventually get it on sale to replace/upgrade that prior version in my game library.

What I will rake Sony over the coals for is their scummy marketing tactics: opening preorders without showing gameplay and implying there are going to be more significant gameplay improvements than there apparently are. Sony knew exactly what they were doing with this approach. I hope anyone who feels like they are no longer getting their money's worth cancels their preorder.
I mean, nobody's forcing anyone to preorder. Don't preorder sight unseen if not being able to see gameplay gives you pause. Seems to be a case of- "Sony makes vague statement about gameplay updates without confirming or denying anything specific, gamers create the mental picture of the game that they want, then get mad when the actual game doesn't match their mental picture."

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I mean, nobody's forcing anyone to preorder. Don't preorder sight unseen if not being able to see gameplay gives you pause. Seems to be a case of- "Sony makes vague statement about gameplay updates without confirming or denying anything specific, gamers create the mental picture of the game that they want, then get mad when the actual game doesn't match their mental picture."
I agree, but that's no excuse for Sony's marketing tactics, especially when there are collector's edition where you have to make the decision to preorder without full gameplay details or risk not getting the edition because it sold out.

I never preorder any games and I would generally advise anyone else to do the same, but let's not act like Sony's marketing copy and silence as to feature changes aren't meant to benefit only them and sell preorders. This game has gone gold already; there's little reason why they shouldn't be giving more transparency. That's why I say I hope anyone who isn't happy will simply cancel their order.

I'll wait until we get more first-hand details before fully judging, but based on what we've seen with that leaks, this tries to paint a picture that appears much different from what we're getting:
"Enjoy a total overhaul of the original experience, faithfully reproduced but incorporating modernized gameplay, improved controls and expanded accessibility options. Plus, feel immersed with improved effects and enhanced exploration and combat."

Very curious to see what Sony's definition is of "modernized gameplay" and "enhanced exploration and combat."

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Its been a long time since I played TLoU1, but I don't think incorporating Part 2's gameplay mechanics in with Part 1's levels would really break the gameplay. Wouldn't just enhancing enemy AI resolve that issue? Even if there are some levels that would break trivialize the gameplay, why not just scale those back to accommodate? I don't think crawling or dodging would necessarily unbalance the game if the AI was updated from TLoU2.
Aha but that's probably the part that would make this not an easy port anymore spending more money on actual game development.. Seems to me they reskinned the game with LOU2 engine and called it a day from what I can make out it's cheap easy to produce and slap the 80 dollar price tag for the easy pickings who want it day 1 then throw on PSPLUS essential after like 4 weeks or so as a marketing tool

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Aha but that's probably the part that would make this not an easy port anymore spending more money on actual game development.. Seems to me they reskinned the game with LOU2 engine and called it a day from what I can make out it's cheap easy to produce and slap the 80 dollar price tag for the easy pickings who want it day 1 then throw on PSPLUS essential after like 4 weeks or so as a marketing tool

lmao

I'm just waiting for the post that will call it a simple patch or a simple re-edition, come on people I'm sure you can do it

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So did Naughty Dog lie to us? I thought they said it would have new gameplay.
I'm sure they didn't lie. It has motion matching and probably some other tweaks (maybe some polish to how the game feels on the sticks, maybe some AI changes, maybe accessibility features, etc.). Alot of people expected the game to have TLOU2 mechanics and significantly altered encounter design, but nobody ever promised those things. People just assumed it with no evidence.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
lmao

I'm just waiting for the post that will call it a simple patch or a simple re-edition, come on people I'm sure you can do it
It is what it is the entire game reskinned with the LOU2s Engine assets with some buildings getting redone and adding extra bits here there to the environment which is nice but it's an easier thing to incorporate than brand new combat and AI from LOU2 which is the more challenging aspect of video game design no? And I'd argue given the way this thread has turned is something more people would have liked

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So did Naughty Dog lie to us? I thought they said it would have new gameplay.
It's all assumption at this stage based on a QA build of the game that wasn't authorised for public viewing, but I'm gonna go with probably not given the specifics they went into when it was announced. It would have been stupid for a VP of a studio to say these things knowing the repercussions it would have if untrue - and the game will sell tremendously regardless of whether they mentioned those things or not.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
if the levels layout are still the same as the original, I dont know how they can implement crawling. Maybe dodging might work. Gunplay from TLOU2 is easily the best IMO so if that get carried over its already a huge upgrade. Just not as transformative as we had hoped.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I freaking love TLOU, it really kind of isn't fair that they are asking more money for the remake than what the first game, and the second game were sold for initially. The amount of effort to create those whole games from scratch had to have been so much more than it was to create the remake. Yes, the remake seems to have all new assets, but even there it is most likely reusing at least some TLOU2 assets.

Anyway, one thing I'm hoping from the remake is that it will use the same quality of everything between cutscenes and gameplay. Maybe we'll get something that looks exactly as good as the TLOU2 gameplay reveal playthrough, or even better than that. Actual TLOU2 had somewhat downgraded gameplay shaders/materials compared to that reveal.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
There are things that have been confirmed by ND for the game that people are doubting based on this leak. Still, I would file motion matching under "new animation systems" that were talked about because it just seems like a common sense feature and a "quick win" to make the game feel more responsive and modern to play, and would be a priority and a shoo in for a studio that prides itself on its industry-leading animation.
Well motion matching would make sense, but there is no guarantee part 1 uses that technique. As you said the studio prides itself on it's industry-leading animation. However the studio also prides itself on pushing consoles to the limit and TLOU part 1 clearly doesn't do that with the PS5. After all ND said this themselves about Part 1 bar. The bar is TLOU2. A PS5 can do much more than the PS4 imo and games already showed that. I am certain Factions and future ND projects will show that, too.

View: https://twitter.com/vaccaro3d/status/1546604022890582016?t=mmB90dpPxQip15QpPySacA&s=19

I'm sure they didn't lie. It has motion matching and probably some other tweaks (maybe some polish to how the game feels on the sticks, maybe some AI changes, maybe accessibility features, etc.). Alot of people expected the game to have TLOU2 mechanics and significantly altered encounter design, but nobody ever promised those things. People just assumed it with no evidence.
No offense but you are doing that, too.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
As long as the Remaster remains available I don't get how upset people are lol. If you want the prettiest possible version of the game, get the Remake. If you want a prettier version of the original at a much more manageable price, get the Remaster.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it has motion matching alright…they clearly matched the motions of the original PS3 game heyooo (plz be an early build)

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well motion matching would make sense, but there is no guarantee part 1 uses that technique. As you said the studio prides itself on it's industry-leading animation. However the studio also prides itself on pushing consoles to the limit and TLOU part 1 clearly doesn't do that with the PS5. After all ND said this themselves about Part 1 bar. The bar is TLOU2. A PS5 can do much more than the PS4 imo and games already showed that. I am certain Factions and future ND projects will show that, too.

View: https://twitter.com/vaccaro3d/status/1546604022890582016?t=mmB90dpPxQip15QpPySacA&s=19

No offense but you are doing that, too.

That's why I said maybe and probably. I stated that I believe they didn't outright lie. Assuming they didn't just straight up, knowingly deceive consumers, there are probably some subtle enhancements that were not apparent in the short clips that leaked. It's just not the massive overhaul people wanted.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
As long as the Remaster remains available I don't get how upset people are lol. If you want the prettiest possible version of the game, get the Remake. If you want a prettier version of the original at a much more manageable price, get the Remaster.
I am upset because these last few years of dev time for a studio that produces 1/2 games per generation could have been utilized better on new projects rather than remaking a game that can be played on modern consoles and holds up fairly well too.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I am upset because these last few years of dev time for a studio that produces 1/2 games per generation could have been utilized better on new projects rather than remaking a game that can be played on modern consoles and holds up fairly well too.
You should read about how this project came to be, then you'd realize that that is completely unrelated to this project and that the team had nothing to do while Neil's next thing is in pre-prod.

Total non-issue as far as that is concerned.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
How long you think till this is on PS+?

edit: i mean the extra/premium catalog gamepass competitor thing

Last edited:

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I hope the pc version comes out asap. Then they can finally move onto porting the sequel. TLOU2 is probably the pc port I'm most excited for

franloradr

Jul 3, 2022
charging 80€ is the major problem. I always remember take2 charging 40€ for Mafia 1 DE, and that game was a full remake

they went nut in somehow, probably because the bad reception mafia 3 had so they were asuming the risk with the price of the remake

ket

Jul 27, 2018

the remake's official announcement included another announcement for a new IP

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It is what it is the entire game reskinned with the LOU2s Engine assets with some buildings getting redone and adding extra bits here there to the environment which is nice but it's an easier thing to incorporate than brand new combat and AI from LOU2 which is the more challenging aspect of video game design no? And I'd argue given the way this thread has turned is something more people would have liked

Everybody even basic fanboys like myself would have preferred to see Part 2's combat incorporated especially considering the price tag, and that's a fine thing to discuss.

I just think downplaying the amount of work it took to make what we're seeing is insulting. Accounting for pre-production this was in development for 3 years, it's not a "reskin" or a "port", tons of people busted their asses on this (thankfully without crunch) and their work isn't inferior because the level design wasn't changed or whatever. The screenshots especially 100% showcase the massive enhancements.

Status
Not open for further replies.