• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
"The WoL never loses" except when Moenbryda dies, Haurchefant dies, Papalymo dies, Misija tempers the blades etc

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Crystal Braves was corny.

It was but
it resolved exactly the way it needed to. Alphinaud played himself; the Scions aren't going to solve problems by acting like a PMC, and that's the point of that plot.

Not that I agree it or Heavansward is better than Shadowbringers though. They're great, but SHB is another league.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Really happy to hear that. Loved the Shadowbringers story, especially the final parts of the 5.0 and 5.3 storylines.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Glorious. I had no doubt Endwalker would be good, but was worried since ShadowBringers hit such high notes. If the lead writer is returning, then it can at least stay around the same level!

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
Good news! I will be simply amazed if EndWalker surpasses Shadowbringers. Given that they are completely wrapping up the Hydaelyn and Zodiark story, 6.0 is gonna be crazy.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe, just maybe, people are interested in seeing what type of stories she would write with new characters in a different world. A crazy concept.

Sure, but since the expansion after Endwalker is meant to be the start of a new journey I think having her directly involved in coming up with the narrative direction for the next big step in FF14 would be pretty smart and have a much larger long term impact. She'd be working on something that would impact at least the next five years of storytelling in the franchise. Given the way SE handled things with Tabata, it definitely seems like you have more of a shot nailing your creative vision working on their MMO that they're willing to let people iterate on.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can sit here and quibble about player-avatar motivations all you want, but the genuinely affecting and deeply emotional scenes regarding Amaurot, the Ascians, Emet-Selch, the Crystal Exarch, Ardbert, and the plight of Eulmore are basically top-flight in any gaming narrative, and easily stand as the most grounded, well-written scenes in an entire franchise literally beloved for its narrative and character work.

It's absurd to take anything away from her on this.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing to add beyond that she's amazing and this is an obvious choice for the completion of this story.

It's going to be a tough 7 months waiting to play this.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they stop making scenes where you have a dialog choice and then they show your characters mouth moving without speech. Maybe others don't mind but it seems so goofy to me.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they stop making scenes where you have a dialog choice and then they show your characters mouth moving without speech. Maybe others don't mind but it seems so goofy to me.
lol or how about when they have your character explain something to the other characters, and you start frantically motioning and mouthing while the screen zooms out and fades to black...

I actually don't mind these things, but they do use them a lot.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I love this style of silent protagonist, and I wished more games used it.
What style? I don't mind silent protags at all, I just think showing your character voicelessly mouth the dialog choice you just picked adds nothing lol. The player knows the choice they picked, they don't need a zoom in on your character's face with their mouth moving.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
What style? I don't mind silent protags at all, I just think showing your character voicelessly mouth the dialog choice you just picked adds nothing lol. The player knows the choice they picked, they don't need a zoom in on your character's face with their mouth moving.

The character emoting and showing emotion instead of blankly staring off into the void.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The character emoting and showing emotion instead of blankly staring off into the void.

You'd think this was more common, but then you play something like the lauded Dragon Quest XI and the protagonist has a blank stare all the time with some minor changes rarely. It feels like them not speaking adds literally nothing. Not to mention they aren't even a CaC.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Her trajectory within the FF14 project over the years is absolutely amazing. She wrote my favourite half of Stormblood and an excellent expansion in Shadowbringers. Emet-Selch is such a great character.

Looking forward to her work in the next expansion and beyond

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news. Shadowbringers was not only the best FFXIV storylines but one of the best Final Fantasy storylines. I'd even go as far to say it's one of the best in JRPGs - it's just that good.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
She's had a hand in in so many of the game's high points from ARR onward, and Shadowbringers felt like a triumph, so I'm nothing but pleased.

Nomujoa

Oct 30, 2017
Its not been a great week - but this is amazing to hear,. Was so heart warming to see her get recongition for the work, and glad she's closing off this arc!