• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Yes, she's cheerfully (and perhaps somewhat frantically, as does happen) pouring her heart and soul into each line of dialogue for each and every character," Yoshida tells us. "Of course, she did not work alone in creating the main scenario (for Shadowbringers as well)—the story is born from the hard work of each member of the team contributing to make the best story possible. Endwalker is following a similar flow, so please look forward to it!"

I didn't see a thread about this so I figured I would make it because I'm happy to see women moving up and continuing to do great things at SE. I hope she gets to work on a single player FF as the lead writer one day!

FFXIV-Anniversary-Ishikawa.jpg

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic news, I still have to reach Shadowbringers but I know very well how appreciated she is in the XIV and FF community.
Hope she will eventually move on to a mainline SP FF.

I guess this confirms Kazutoyo Maehiro as the writer of XVI?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Expectations are high then, Shadowbringers is one of the best Final Fantasy stories in the history of the series.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm partway through ShB and it's great, so I have high expectations for Endwalker as well. I'm looking forward to it!

I never thought an MMO would be able to suck me in this much. Even playing WoW back in its heyday of BC and WotLK pales in comparison to how much I've enjoyed playing FFXIV in the last year.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the woman that wrote the best SE stories, right?

They need to stop fcking around and offer her lead writing credits on next mainline FF

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I completed Shadowbringers MSQ (5.0, still have to do post content) and I absolutely fell in love with the game. The previous expansions were a bit more "meh" in my books.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if she can top ShB but she's the best lady for the job. Let her close out Endwalker then put her to work on FF17 or FF18 as lead writer there and let 6.1+ be "the new generation" for story and writing talent.

Or if she doesn't get to write a single player mainline FF then give her something big and single player because she deserves success and to be known.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

They need to stop fcking around and offer her lead writing credits on next mainline FF
While I understand the sentiment, I wouldn't call keeping her on FFXIV "fucking around". The company trusted her with writing the an expansion of their biggest cash cow, and she ended up delivering a narrative that competes with the best the series has ever had.

That said, I would love to see her take on a single player RPG one day.

PS, if anyone hasn't played the Dark Knight job quests in FFXIV, she's the main writer for that quest line and it's probably one of the best quest lines in the game (definitely the best job quest line).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They should have put this front and center in the reveal trailer, to be quite honest

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's great that Yoshi-P always makes sure to ground people by reminding them that there is never any one person wholly responsible for any one aspect of the game's development, even if she deserves immense credit for being the lead writer.

Endwalker is in great hands. The standing ovation she got at PAX was so heartwarming.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that Yoshi-P always makes sure to ground people by reminding them that there is never any one person wholly responsible for any one aspect of the game's development, even if she deserves immense credit for being the lead writer.

Endwalker is in great hands. The standing ovation she got at PAX was so heartwarming.

I was gonna say the same thing. It's very good of Yoshi to not feed into "lone auteur" culture.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Iirc she wrote the entire Azim Steppe scenario. Easily the best part of that expansion.
Now i wonder if she wrote 5.4 as well

Azim Steppe seems like her baby and Y'shtola ripping Magnai's heart straight out of his chest feels in-line with the character writing in Shadowbringers

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

It's only right to have her keep penning the main story. No one else could fill those shoes and do justice to the story after Shadowbringers.
Iirc she wrote the entire Azim Steppe scenario. Easily the best part of that expansion.
That's kind of funny because I was quite mixed about that arc. A lot of the mini-factions in there felt too edgy, and I disliked quite a few of the characters in there. The overall story was good, though.
I wonder if she'll make Zenos a bit more interesting for those that don't like him.
Damn, I sure hope so. I'm one of those people.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Well.. this means Endwalker will have a fantastic storyline.. Shadowbringers was GOTY material.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

You know that would be a demotion, right?

This is SE's biggest breadwinner and its best critical performer, possibly of all-time. No single FF game can match that.

She also wrotes patches 5.2 and 5.3, the Doma stuff, i believe
She also assisted in the whole SB story in general.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I just got back in FF14 last week and started Shadowbringers yesterday. I'm not far enough in to sing its praises yet, but I have high hopes given the talk.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Best fucking news. Ishikawa leading the scenario means Endwalker is just further cementing itself as the GOTY.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to quote myself from the other day.

Ishikawa is such a "big" writer. She's the only writer for the series that I feel has really consistently identifiable tropes and interests that stand apart from the usual FF stuff while still working inside of it. Her writing is very dark and unafraid to convey brutality, but it's very humanizing as well. She's interested in society and history and how common people live alongside heroes and gods. She can absolutely tackle her own mainline entry. I think if she nails Endwalker, she should get a shot at directing.

She's the best writer that the series has had and one of the most important people working on it.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Just going to quote myself from the other day.
She's the best writer that the series has had and one of the most important people working on it.
I don't know, directing is much different from writing. I'm not sure it would actually make the best use of her talents if they moved her up to that role. Of course, it's also possible she would be a great fit for a directorial role. It's just a different skill set is all, and I think you need to have those skills to flourish at it.

Her writing is absolutely fantastic for ShB, but I think it's also important to recognize that the game does a really superb job of integrating the writing into the gameplay, and that this is a huge part of what makes the game great. The Amaurot dungeon in particular is one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming the first time I experienced it. While there is great writing there, it's really the complete product (the gameplay, the music, the dungeon design, etc.), all coming together with the writing that makes it great.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Who did the amnesia plotline? Hopefully they've been demoted to mobile phone games.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Great news, sometime in the future I'll get to play FFXIV and get to enjoy her stories myself.