• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Not shocking, but shameful views. Embarrased to be from this state.
https://www.abc15.com/national/morm...uMY31X0Zy4jUUxe-39bdI-UUV8lsVwR7EqfGjWpdyX9oE

SALT LAKE CITY — A proposed conversion therapy ban in Utah is in danger of being derailed after the influential Church of Jesus of Christ of Latter-day Saints came out Tuesday night in opposition, just months after it said it wouldn't stand in the way of a similar measure under consideration.

The church said in a statement that the regulatory rule prohibiting Utah psychologists from engaging in LGBTQ conversion therapy with minors would fail to safeguard religious beliefs and doesn't account for "important realities of gender identity in the development of children."
The church's statement strikes a blow to the hopes of LGBTQ advocates hoping Utah could join 18 states that have enacted laws banning or restricting conversion therapy that's opposed by the American Psychological Association.

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
"important realities of gender identity in the development of children."

Do they really feel the need to speak in code? We all know exactly what they really mean.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I just don't understand why we can't keep politics out of the church house. I come here for spirituality not to hear about politics.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
"important realities of gender identity in the development of children."

Do they really feel the need to speak in code? We all know exactly what they really mean.
Can't play the victim if they don't.

Misread the title as LSD Church and thought "Damn, am I about to get religious?", but nah just "religious" people using their faith as a weapon against others.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a real "water is wet" scenario. I hope it doesn't amount to anything though.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Shut the fuck up LDS. Sit at the back of the class with the other conman cults parading as a 'religion'.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean its the same religion that thought POC's were cursed by God until the late 70's so maybe my LGBTQ folks will get the Mormon celestial stamp in 2090 or so.

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck does it have to do with religious beliefs besides the fact it's contrary to theirs?
I feel it is because they're losing the culture war so they do this shit as a way to make it look like they're actually doing something to their bigoted followers. Same reason GOP attacks Planned Parenthood for abortions even though they barely account for their total services. Facts mean nothing to them.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad my mom left the church and gave me a choice. The rest of my moms family thinks we are going to hell, but idgaf.

Sometimes I think it's selfish of me to want my mom to leave at the risk of her marriage. She's relatively pretty progressive so when stuff like this comes out I can't help but wonder how she really feels

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean its the same religion that thought POC's were cursed by God until the late 70's so maybe my LGBTQ folks will get the Mormon celestial stamp in 2090 or so.

Except that only happened because of a combination of strong external factors, including the fact that BYU (the main LDS church university, think Mormon Notre Dame) would have lost its tax-exempt status and the fact that the Church was seeing a surge of baptisms in Latin America, particularly Brazil, to the point where the doctrine of "no priesthood for black people" was becoming a hurdle for growth in such a mixed-race environment. There had been vocal external and even internal criticisms and pushback (President of the Church David O McKay most notably) for decades up to that point, but it was only when the bottom line was seriously at risk did Kimball's 1978 revelation come down.
What the fuck does it have to do with religious beliefs besides the fact it's contrary to theirs?

I imagine the rationale would be that Mormons practicing conversion "therapy" under the rationale that they're acting according to the beliefs of the religion would be "unfairly" targeted, which is horse shit.

Once agin, thank you Utah for embarrassing me for living in you.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad my mom left the church and gave me a choice. The rest of my moms family thinks we are going to hell, but idgaf.
Wow, are you literally me? We were in deep for quite some time up until I was a teenager when she couldn't do it anymore. Pulled the rip cord and let us make our own decisions - of course after some distance we all weren't too far behind her.

I remember having to get some lawyer on Reddit help me get my name off their books back when they were opposing gay marriage in 2013/14.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Think about all the self-hating gay men from Utah that run these conversion therapy camps who won't be able to make money off of the public if this passes!

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wow, are you literally me? We were in deep for quite some time up until I was a teenager when she couldn't do it anymore. Pulled the rip cord and let us make our own decisions - of course after some distance we all weren't too far behind her.

I remember having to get some lawyer on Reddit help me get my name off their books back when they were opposing gay marriage in 2013/14.
My mom left the church during her SLC Punk teenage years in the 80's so i'm fortunate enough to not be on their records as far as i know, but the rest of the family definitely doesn't look at us the same way.

After my Grandparents passing away and my mom having a huge fight with my Trump supporting uncle i think we are pretty much done with them. Much easier now that we don't live in Utah anymore. :D

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Knowing the LDS church this isn't a surprise. Hopefully they don't matter in the long run and Utah does the right thing.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Part of my childhood was spent living across the street from a huge LDS church.

I can tell you from personal experience that many of them are pretty awful.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my dyslexia made me think for a second that this was a way cooler church

Last edited:

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Nothing remotely surprising. We are a very Red state, with strong social conservatism.
The LDS Church recently came out against the Equality Act.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising from a religion that hated black/brown people before it became inconvenient.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the last episode of the series on Mormonism that The Last Podcast on the Left and whew boy there's some pretty crazy stuff in there. This is sad, but after listening to this series, it's unsurprising.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Except that only happened because of a combination of strong external factors, including the fact that BYU (the main LDS church university, think Mormon Notre Dame) would have lost its tax-exempt status and the fact that the Church was seeing a surge of baptisms in Latin America, particularly Brazil, to the point where the doctrine of "no priesthood for black people" was becoming a hurdle for growth in such a mixed-race environment. There had been vocal external and even internal criticisms and pushback (President of the Church David O McKay most notably) for decades up to that point, but it was only when the bottom line was seriously at risk did Kimball's 1978 revelation come down.

How convenient that god decided to change his mind right then!

Anyway, growing up as a gay Mormon I'm far too used to this shit. It's destroyed my relationship with my family and kept me from having any semblance of a normal childhood. Mormons aren't the friendly weirdos people think they are. They're deeply sad, judgmental people.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Anyway, growing up as a gay Mormon I'm far too used to this shit. It's destroyed my relationship with my family and kept me from having any semblance of a normal childhood. Mormons aren't the friendly weirdos people think they are. They're deeply sad, judgmental people.
Can confirm. In some places I dont even think theyre aware of it themselves. "Lead by example" is burnt into your brain to make youth feel superior to non-Mormon kids around them.

Ronin0510

Oct 27, 2017
My mom left the church during her SLC Punk teenage years in the 80's so i'm fortunate enough to not be on their records as far as i know, but the rest of the family definitely doesn't look at us the same way.

After my Grandparents passing away and my mom having a huge fight with my Trump supporting uncle i think we are pretty much done with them. Much easier now that we don't live in Utah anymore. :D

It wouldn't surprise me if you were in their records though.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I come from a long line of Mormons and yo

Mormons are straight fucked up in the head

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

At least with Utah Mormons you are so on point.