• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Indeed, and it seems this restructuring choice is a mistake considering Sony's American PR division hasn't managed to cultivate such a strong culture as their European division. There is no moment in time where their American division had better marketshare than their European.
But now it seems Jim Ryan, the guy in charge of Europe, is now in charge so its a bit early to be calling it a mistake.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The feeling of the Americans wresting control is extremely off putting for me as a European who likes Japanese games.

And it's one that's been going on for a while.

I don't want there to be 2 US consoles.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Disgusting. Playstation is at its prime, Sony is sinking in money due to Playstation and then you hear people are getting fired :/

It's not disgusting, they had 2 completely independent marketing departments which was wasteful and a nightmare to manage. Publishers didn't even like it.
So some people got made redundant.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
So Playstation US is slowly becoming the Nintendo NCL? The head honcho headquarters who calls all the shots instead of each division making their own choices? Could lead to optimization of performance in the future.

Though I'm not sure how Europe will take this as Playstation EU was a powerhouse in establishing and stabilizing the brand in Europe. Without that power and always having to cater to American power/American perspective, that might lead to dissonance. Curious as to why the need to change as it seems things were working out for each division pretty well by catering to each audience

Sounds like some publishers/developers were running into issues with "too many cooks in the kitchen", based on the posted article. The changes are likely about streamlining and removing inefficient/costly redundancy.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Only if you are interested in being defensive of your favorite brand. I mean, WTF? There are actual people out there right now which lost their job. People with families, for sure, too. And you seem to care about that it doesn't sound too bad...

Terrible take there, champ. I'm not twelve, and don't have a "favorite brand" of plastic toys.

As I said, It's awful being laid off during a re-org, but it's dozens of employees out of thousands. It could be worse.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the journalist who wrote the article is using a US employee getting laid off to somehow prove SIEE employees have been fired, it looks to be the other way around to me.

Others may not be publicly posting about it. He used that tweet as evidence of layoffs in America as well. Focus is on larger layoffs in SCEE.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So Playstation US is slowly becoming the Nintendo NCL? The head honcho headquarters who calls all the shots instead of each division making their own choices? Could lead to optimization of performance in the future.

Though I'm not sure how Europe will take this as Playstation EU was a powerhouse in establishing and stabilizing the brand in Europe. Without that power and always having to cater to American power/American perspective, that might lead to dissonance. Curious as to why the need to change as it seems things were working out for each division pretty well by catering to each audience
I'd really rather have Sony JP do all the work here. This is pretty annoying to see the company basically ruin the lifes of the other regions because they can.

Sep 14, 2019
This feels like one of those things where depending on how upcoming Playstation events go (most importantly the launch of Playstation 5), it will either be looked back on/waved off as business being business, or it will be seen as an early sign of some slight troubles to come. There's a lot of smoke around what may or may not be going on behind-the-scenes (from insiders partially), but honestly I don't think any judgement should be made until we get more information. We don't really know if this will have a positive or negative affect on the business. All that we know right now is the obvious: losing jobs suck. I hope people get back up on their feet.

I will say as an outsider looking in, it seems really odd to have layoffs in a portion of their business that seems almost as successful/big as their American branch. Don't they also have a much bigger lead in Europe than in the Americas, where the three console manufacturers are much closer to each other? But this is coming from a rather uneducated perspective.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't blame them.

I'm not a fan of one place ruling over every part of the playstation world. But now that they're making stupid amounts of money they suddenly can't or simply don't want to give the power out of their hands anymore.

Japan knows what's best for japan, EU for EU and the US for the US.

As a big Playstation fan sinsce the first one this power grab scares me more than all of the ps3 fuck ups combined.
your post is pretty much as i've been saying most of this gen, because they came out on top this gen with PS4 they've been more or less ego tripping and forcing devs into unfortunate positions like we've seen with the PS2onPS4, because every game needs trophies we're pretty limited on what PS2 games we got which more or less looks like it's dead and won't be getting anything else but once again Japan loses in this as well bcause i don't think they ever launched it there whereas last gen they had nearly 800 PS1 classics on the store in Japan alone, i think US and EU were close to 300-400 maybe

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So there was indeed credence to the idea there was internal turmoil at Sony, and that it was due to globalization efforts.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This lines up with the recent reports of internal conflicts at Sony, although it's also really shitty that PS5 news dropped the same day.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would you continue to pay $10m+ a year for the services of people you do not need?

Your attitude is baffling. Do you know what redundant means?
I know that "redundant" is something that can be argued, especially if a company decides that employees are redundant. But anyway, let's hope people land on their feet, that's the only interesting thing right now anyway.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Restructuring continues. SIEA being in the lead makes sense. The headquarter is in the US and it's their biggest (single) market.

Still crazy for me to think this given how much the PS3 struggled with the Xbox 360 and Wii taking Sony's momentum in the crucial years of last gen. Europe always remained PlayStationland because of the brand strength there, so for SIEA to take the main stage speaks volumes of the success of the PS4's hardware and first party software sales from the studios here.

I am just now realizing that most of Sony's AAA studios are in the US. They could really use another AAA European studio

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hm, I don't like the idea of SIEA taking over more and more. Alienates me even further as a European. And the tactics of pairing PS5 news with lay-offs also seems like some mighty corporate shit from Sony. Growing ever more unsympathetic.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Super unfortunate people losing their job.

Hopefully they land something new soon.

And why did this news turned into something completely unnecessary? 🤦🏾‍♂️

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I really hate that Shawn Layden is gone at sony. Seems shit is really screwd up over there

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's saying the timing means jack shit. And it's true.

It absolutely sucks that people are losing their jobs. But you don't need PR to hide dozens of jobs being lost due to restructuring.

How absolutely absurd.
Perhaps it's only a coincidence but to me it's also a slap in the face of the people being laid off while Sony is talking about the future of Playstation.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Jim Ryan is now the top guy at SIE.

He was very influential in cementing PlayStation's dominance in Europe and emerging markets. Even making a success of PS3.

It makes sense to streamline departments like marketing and licensing. Given the global nature of the videogame market. Ryan will bring the tough, combative, approach to SIE he had over here. By all accounts a few SIEE staff have gone over to the US.

Good luck to those looking for employment.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
People using this as console wars need to get outside more and get off the internet for a while.

Aren't some of you bored arguing the same things every few days.

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps it's only a coincidence but to me it's also a slap in the face of the people being laid off while Sony is talking about the future of Playstation.

Sure, the timing is shitty.

But it's coincidental. And the focus should be on the folks that lost their jobs. Not how Sony possibly turned into a company playing 4D chess overnight.

Oct 29, 2017
As an old school SEGA fan? I'm starting to get some pretty harrowing flashbacks to the old SOJ vs SOA/SOE days...

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The feeling of the Americans wresting control is extremely off putting for me as a European who likes Japanese games.

This sums my feelings up as well. PlayStation keeps alienating me practically ever since the failed Vita... Few highs are drowned out by many lows overall.

I know that they're objectively doing well, but they're about to lose me personally as a customer.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Layoffs ? Isn't the company like really profitable ? Isn't PS4 selling "like a beast" ? Aren't those PS+ subscriptions raking a load of cash ?

Why are they laying people off ?

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't like this. One reason Playstation is so popular in Europe is that they did their own thing here. Please don't Americanise the whole thing...

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like all this restructuring news one bit. Wait and see I guess.
Hope these people find something soon.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Layoffs ? Isn't the company like really profitable ? Isn't PS4 selling "like a beast" ? Aren't those PS+ subscriptions raking a load of cash ?

When you prep for any new product launch you look at your current pipeline and identify weaknesses and areas to improve. It's very common for companies raking in loads of money to lay people off like this. Doesn't make it any less sucky, but sometimes people just aren't in the plan for the future.

I hope everyone that was laid off finds new jobs quickly that they are more than happy with! I know what they are going through and it is never an easy time.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a company with a strong world wide presence and over generations established yourself as the console for every game and every player ... and then go and put the US branch in sole charge and since they moved the HQ it just seems weird or bad news one after another.

Feels like Playstation is losing the identity that made it the favorite for many

100% this

much rather have the Jp branch in control with the individual regions doing their own thing a bit. Playststion becoming an American console does not sit right with me

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Is this why Driveclub would get a LE in Europe and not here in the US. If so that was annoying.

DangerMouse

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why these grander structural changes would result in losing "regional flavor". Jim Ryan of all people know how incredibly important being a multinational product PlayStation is for them. Dude was responsible for the PS3 dominating in Europe during the Dark Times.
This. Also, I think that any kind of talk of any extreme unifying is jumping to conclusions since Jim Ryan would certainly be someone to know that the markets are very different and the need to take that into account. Staffing and location changes likely began ever since the process started with the HQ being moved, but that doesn't mean they're going to end up unifying.

Hope anyone that lost their job lands on their feet and is able to find another they like as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Because they want to make even more money? Sometimes companies gets too bloated for their own good, or more likely they are restructuring for the launch of the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a company with a strong world wide presence and over generations established yourself as the console for every game and every player ... and then go and put the US branch in sole charge and since they moved the HQ it just seems weird or bad news one after another.

Feels like Playstation is losing the identity that made it the favorite for many

100% this

much rather have the Jp branch in control with the individual regions doing their own thing a bit. Playststion becoming an American console does not sit right with me

What changed precisely since they moved the HQ to the US? I'm curious.

Seems like mostly the same Sony as ever, just with bigger hits.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Really don't like this. One reason Playstation is so popular in Europe is that they did their own thing here. Please don't Americanise the whole thing...
TBH, it's more likely to take on more of the look of SIEE with Jim Ryan in charge. Obviously he's only one man. But clearly what he says goes. Especially with Layden now out of the picture.