• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Had my first accident today.

Life has been busy, and the days too hot. The lawns, weed and general greenery has become a little over grown. This morning I set out to complete the toiling task.

But while mowing, I pause. And something was hitting my foot and ankle. A random, frantic rhythm. A baby bird. I panicked and ran away for a minute. Upon inspection, I struck its head and it passed away.

Major downer. đŸ˜”

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
oof, sorry OP that's a bummer :(

on a lighter, funnier note... the first time i used the weed whacker as a teenager i mowed down all of my mom's flower bushes. i didn't realize she was growing them and thought helping out taking care f fthe lawn for my folks

guess i got a a little carried away...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Oof that's rough OP. Seems like nothing to outsiders, but it really feels bad.

I once ran over a goose and killed it. There were maybe 20-25 geese in my path in my apartment complex's parking lot....and I was on my way to work. I drove super slow until they all moved out of the way (or so I thought), but there was one that apparently didn't move with the flock and I couldn't see him. I will never forget the crunching sound it made under my tire. I felt horrible for days thinking about it....and how the other geese immediately surrounded him as a sort of memorial/funeral.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Been there. :( No fun.

I have a worse story, unfortunately.. First mow of the spring a few years ago, I was getting the mower out of the shed. I pushed it around to the front yard since that's where I always start. Pull the string, get things started.. hear screeching.

Turns out a family of chipmunks had made themselves comfortable in the mower. They did not survive. It was a nightmarish mess.

It must run in the family because I've heard the story countless times of how my grandpa accidentally mowed over a nest of baby bunnies one time.

This year my wife was mowing and she stopped multiple times to pick up tiny tree frogs that were in her way, I have no idea how she even sees them.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
It happens.

Ran over a cat last week. Suddenly leapt out of a bush to run across the road while I was only 10m away driving 70kph. Couldn't react in time. No way I could've stopped in time. Swerving was too dangerous. I'd have risked plowing face first into an oncoming semi-truck on one side, or into a trio of old ladies on bycicles on the other. What's worse, saw the body in my rear view mirror get run over by another truck. If my hitting it didn't kill it, the truck surely did. At least it was fast.

Cat chose the absolutely worst time to cross. Sorry kitty.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
We had a more morbid accident here where I live... a guy was mowing their lawn when it accidently shot a small pebble / rock straight at a childs head... the child died.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I used to accidentally run over snakes from time to time. I guess the vibration from the mower drew them out of their holes? Either that or they were sunning themselves and couldn't move fast enough. Snake's camo worked too well.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I was riding my bike and I saw a squirrel that had clearly gotten hit by something before I went by. It seemed like it couldn't lift up one side of its body and it just kept flopping up really high in the air and rolling. I really didn't have anything to cleanly ease its passing and it was moving extremely frantically and erratically so it would've been messy. I kept riding and I was looking for like some sort of sharp stick to just finish it but by the time I circled back it had passed. I was like I want to just end it, it's clearly suffering, but I also don't want to just crunch it with my foot or bike like a psycho. In the end, life and death resolved themselves but I felt bad that I just rode by.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Sorry to hear that. I've also been there, but it was randomly a family of small frogs. Still felt lousy for days after. But you didn't mean it and couldn't have known

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
It happens.

Ran over a cat last week. Suddenly leapt out of a bush to run across the road while I was only 10m away driving 70kph. Couldn't react in time. No way I could've stopped in time. Swerving was too dangerous. I'd have risked plowing face first into an oncoming semi-truck on one side, or into a trio of old ladies on bycicles on the other. What's worse, saw the body in my rear view mirror get run over by another truck. If my hitting it didn't kill it, the truck surely did. At least it was fast.

I feel you. The same thing happened to me when I was 17, except I was driving a motorcycle and two deers jumped out of some bushes. Not a pleasant experience, to say the least.

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about an accident to your own body. Glad at least you're ok to that end.

I don't remember ever killing any animals with the lawn mower. I thought I did once after I heard some baby rabbits squeaking, but I think I had accidentally stepped on one which was arguably just as bad. Not sure if it survived or not.....all of the babies were gone the next time I checked.

I did injure myself once while trimming hedges with one of those tools that just has long rows of metal teeth that gnash back and forth. It was electric so connected to an extension cord. Cord apparently wasn't long enough so when I reached up to get the tops of the bushes, it got caught somewhere and the tool fell out of my hands. Out of reflex, I tried to catch it and ended up getting the still moving blade across the middle and ring fingers on my right hand. Nearly cut both fingers off. They were able to sew me back together, but I don't have much feeling in those fingertips anymore.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It happens.

have had this happen multiple times as well and other animals. Sorry, but I'm going to run you over versus losing control and flipping my vehicle

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry man. Know the feeling.

Ran over a chipmunk one time with my golf cart and wanted to cry. Felt awful the whole day as well.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Well at least it was a quick death OP. Could have been a cat that slowly play murdered it. At least was probably quick and painless.

Also... I totally thought this thread was going to be way worse from the title. Was expecting missing feet and whatnot.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
We had a more morbid accident here where I live... a guy was mowing their lawn when it accidently shot a small pebble / rock straight at a childs head... the child died.

Out of curiosity, was the person charged? I know it was an accident, but sometimes I hear of these kind of freak accidents that someone gets charged when they really shouldn't be.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Hit an opossum once that had his head buried in a Burger King bag in the middle of the road.

It must have lived because it served as AG for Trump for a while.

Lmao! *Thatsgoodthatsdamngood.gif*

I hit a gartner snake last summer but it wasn't dead. I had to get a shovel and smash its head like Cain. My neighbors were looking at me like I'm a monster until I explained that it was a mercy killing.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Lmao! *Thatsgoodthatsdamngood.gif*

I hit a gartner snake last summer but it wasn't dead. I had to get a shovel and smash its head like Cain. My neighbors were looking at me like I'm a monster until I explained that it was a mercy killing.
I felt bad. I didn't intentionally hit it. Poor thing thought it had hit the jackpot munching on food not in a trash can and then its gone. It never saw me coming.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
That's nothing. Wait till you hit a deer with a semi. That is what happened to my friend.

blupsy

Jun 14, 2019
My mom told me of a girl she grew up with who tipped a riding lawnmower on top of her while she was mowing a steep, countryside ditch and passed away. She had her baby on her hip while doing it, but tossed the kid as she was losing balance so it was fine. Freak accident stories can really shape your childhood sometimes.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I did this to a bunny once. It made it about 10 feet flopping around trying to run away. I left it there and his family must have taken the body away as it was gone a few hours later (or something bigger ate it).

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
No, also the persons own kid :( very small child/baby. Sad all around,
Lawn mower accidents are one of my biggest fears as the parent of a small child.

I totally could see something like this happening, though. One time I was on the rider and unknowingly ran over a stick. It SHOT across the street at like 100 MPH. Would have really fucked something up if it hit anything.

These things are scary.

My dog found a nest of baby bunnies in the spring. They were just underneath a downspout and he had removed them all from their hole and threw them around the yard. They had to have only been a couple days old.

I tried putting them back and took the dog elsewhere when he needed to go out... I was hoping they would be ok and that momma would take care of them, but ended up having to dig 5 dead baby rabbits out of a hole.

It was awful.