• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
This probably isn't true with ESPN in any other situation.

Sure, if he had more leverage the outcome would probably be a lot more shaky. All sorts of people with actual power and clout can get away with a lot more than this.

I'm just saying, if you want to get invited back to a show, don't blatantly disrespect the talent. There's probably a long list of people who could get away with this kind of thing as guests on ESPN, but it's likely shorter than the people who couldn't. You're always flying too close to the sun with this sort of approach to being a guest.

Even if he had the sway to not get booted from the network you know there'd be some lobbying from the hosts to stop inviting him on.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I honestly expected worse, but ESPN did the right thing.

On a side note, When you have trump breaking all kinds of rules when it comes to verbal sexual harassment, you have to wonder, what does this guy have to do to get banned from tv as well? Be black? That grab them by the pussy remark should have gotten him banned not just on abc but on all television channels as well beside fox of course.

Last edited:

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody cares about LaVar anymore so it's not surprising. He isn't driving viewers anymore.

They've got their new golden goose in Tyson Fury.

Oct 28, 2017
The literal second that ESPN thinks they can make a single extra dollar off of him being back on the air...he'll be back. ESPN loves to act super progressive until it comes to the almighty dollar.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
I heard that live the other day and thinking Lavar a crazy dude. Jalen has been keeping this topic on the down low from his show. But I'm ready to hear his response.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't get how anybody can downplay this. It's not like ESPN is somebody public accessible place. If you're disrespectful to their tv-presence employees like that on tv, you should expect to not be invited.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
Just because they talk about the Lakers doesn't mean they are pro-Lakers. Why would a Laker fan want to watch that shit?
Because when they hate, it's out of disappointment they didn't win. When they love they straight up act like they are the greatest thing since slice bread. They act like annoying fanboys, but you right they are annoying to watch for even lakers fans.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance. LaVar is a scumbag. How you gonna say that shit to Jalen's girl? Lonzo prob ashamed right now.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Because when they hate, it's out of disappointment they didn't win. When they love they straight up act like they are the greatest thing since slice bread. They act like annoying fanboys, but you right they are annoying to watch for even lakers fans.
A lot of the people at ESPN are most certainly not Lakers fan and like seeing them struggle. They just talk about them a lot because views.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm in Pittsburgh, I don't have a horse in the race, but I've never gotten the impression that there are an overwhelming amount of pro-Lakers broadcasters at ESPN. The Knicks, definitely. But the Lakers? They may pander to a large market, but nobody is dying for them to win.

Nov 9, 2017
Good but they gave him the voice in the first place. If Lonzo didn't go to a small market team chances are they would have just given him a slap on the wrist.

I really don't think so. Guy just majorly insulted two of their most important on-air personalities (Molly and Jalen Rose are married). Would anyone be ok with some guy making sexual advances towards their wife on national TV? Who would continue to work for a company which allowed this to happen? Maybe they could even be sued if they kept him on as a future guest.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As someone who has no idea who these people are for context and just watched the clip...

I mean, harrassment? Sure... Sexual Harrassment? I don't see it. It's not like the dude was licking his lips and giving her a twice over as he was talking. The dude just said an inappropriate line that completely failed to land.

This just came off as more socially awkward than anything.

This appears to me to be an overreaction based solely on this example alone. I have no idea if this dude has a history or anything.
It is sexual because he's alluding to a handjob with the gear stick and gesture makes it even more obvious. Explain to me how you're divorcing his comment being inappropriate but not being sexual in nature? Disagree that this is social awkwardness.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow ass play by ESPN, there's nothing for him to talk about post Lonzo trade

he'll be back on the air when the Pelicans season starts and they discuss Zion/Lonzo

Edit: or maybe he'll just stay off the air since his son isnt in a big market team

If lonzo was still on the Lakers tho then this would just be a temporary timeout from ESPN

Last edited:

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Molly Qerim: "LaVar, can I switch gears with you because I have a question here?"
LaVar Ball: "You can switch gears with me any time."

Basically she used an expression ("switching gears") to say she's changing topics to ask a question. And he replied by implying that she can have a sexy time with him any time.

This is what a gear stick looks like on a car:
iIxz4mq.jpg

Alright, I've never heard "switch gears" in a sexual context before.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is sexual because he's alluding to a handjob with the gear stick and gesture makes it even more obvious. Explain to me how you're divorcing his comment being inappropriate but not being sexual in nature? Disagree that this is social awkwardness.

I admit I didn't pick up on the sexual innuendo, and I was watching on my phone so I guess I missed the hand gestures. With both of those in mind now, yes, I find it quite disgusting.

Edit: Watched the video again. That is clearly not a person miming a handjob action.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it's not that deep. It's fucking obvious what LaVar meant to anyone with common sense. He was being a creep, and he would have spun anything she said into a creepy, inappropriate response. Fucking hell not everything needs a devil's advocate.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally every ESPN show is about their on-air talent loudly disrespecting their other on-air talent.
What?
Steve and max disagree and loudly disagree alot. But i would hardly call it disrespect. Sounds like 2 friends having an argument about sports. Which is what it is.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I've never heard "switch gears" in a sexual context before.
Me either.but she could have said litterly anything and with the tone he used, would have made it sound sexual.

"Let me grab my notebook"
"You can grab my notebook anytime"

"What are you having for lunch"
"I'll have lunch with you anytime"

The conotation "I'll.....anytime" is usually coded language for sex. Also being a creep in general. Second only to adding "ladies" to everything

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I still pity his kid. 3rd year in the league, ain't working out as well as you'd want, and your damn dad is shitting it up on TV off your dwindling fame until now, as you head to the second smallest market.

They bring LaVar on specifically to say stupid, outlandish, inappropriate shit, and now they want to act like they are disgusted by his antics? Espn created LaVar Ball. Fuck them both.

When con-TROV-ersy becomes controversy.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao lavar don't need espn anyway, I don't see a problem the way he said it, it's the awkward pause/ surprised on molly face that just made it weird imo, but I can see how others are bothered by this stuff.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Good. He was already an insufferable asshole given airtime for no good reason but this absolutely cements it.

Lmao lavar don't need espn anyway, I don't see a problem the way he said it, it's the awkward pause/ surprised on molly face that just made it weird imo, but I can see how others are bothered by this stuff.

Great. He doesn't need espn and espn sure as fuck doesn't need his whiny bitch ass. He's a fucking clown.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I place most of the blame on ESPN. They have a strange obsession with putting him on every program when they know that he's prone to say the most dumbest shit.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol I think people are reading too much into this. That did not come of as anything sexual to me. It was just a quick response. I've never heard that phrase used sexually lmao. But hey it's their channel they can do whatever they wish. I guess we all need to be careful of the words we use it can lead to disastrous situations..

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Lol I think people are reading too much into this. That did not come of as anything sexual to me. It was just a quick response. I've never heard that phrase used sexually lmao. But hey it's their channel they can do whatever they wish. I guess we all need to be careful of the words we use it can lead to disastrous situations..

They don't use the word baby, or gear.

Molly Qerim: LeVar, can I switch gears with you for....because I have a question here.

LeVar: You can switch gears with me anytime.

I'm not a native english speaker and I've never even heard of the phrase being used that way before.
But even I can tell from context clues that it's definitely being used that way and yeah, not ok.

Oct 25, 2017
My first exposure to Ball to was through Kenan Thompson on SNL's Weekend Update. Then I watched the interview where Ball said he could beat Michael Jordan 1v1 and I quickly realized Keenan wasn't even exaggerating anything in his impression of him, he actually is that ridiculous.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Anybody who thinks this doesn't actually watch/follow ESPN or FS1, at least not lately.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Yeah. The inappropriate sexual innuendo made everyone pause.

Mate... What are you even saying?

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
B-B-Buh bye now

Uh....huh.

Nov 30, 2018

Yeah maybe that guy who can't get any likes on Tinder should tell girls he wanna switch gears

Sounds like some baby boomer shit, nobody drives manual anymore

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
What was the hand gesture about then?

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): bad faith trolling, misrepresenting context about sexual harassment
What was the hand gesture about then?
Looking at the clip he made a side to side motion and back to him as if he changed gears in a car. Maybe just maybe people should get their mind out the gutter. Not everything needs to be sexual. But that's what happens when the world around us is driven by sex 🤷‍♂️. Just my opinion.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Let's not normalize sexism 2k19 y'all.

That woman was there for work not to be objectified y'all..

Women want to go to work and work with men without having sex casually thrown at them y'all...

This was wildly unprofessional and that's not even debatable y'allllllll.......................

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know who he was but I know ESPN covers sports so I thought Lavar Ball was a type of sport event.
Now I wish I didn't know who he was.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Okay, if it isn't a sexual remark, what the fuck does "I'll switch gears with you anytime" mean?????

It could mean that he was happy to quickly change topics with her anytime, which is fine. The problem here is the tone and everyone's reaction. There was ample time to correct the mixup, however this is LeVar Ball and he thought going with the "cool" sex thing would be preferable.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This should be the standard procedure for all on air sexual harrassment. People should be banned if they don't know how to act, on or off cameras.