• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Odd considering how many they are bringing back for the film, including ones that are dead. I guess there's a story reason, since I can't imagine they would snub him. Hopefully he will return in a sequel in 4 is good/does well.

Who else are they bringing back that was dead outside Neo, who you could argue was ambiguous?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Wtf?! Hes arguably the best part of the series... Him and weaving, and am I reading right that neither will be there?!

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
DevotedFatIcterinewarbler-size_restricted.gif

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Trinity is back as well isn't she?

She came back in The Matrix Online, kind of, and it establishes she'd kind of like Neo and hardcoded into The Matrix:

Despite having "died" during the course of the third film, Trinity made a return to the series in the official continuation, The Matrix Online. Taking on a major role in the game's final chapters it is revealed both she and Neo are actually the culmination of decades of Machine research into translating human DNA perfectly into Machine code, allowing them to interface directly with technology without the need for simulated interfaces. Originally developed by The Oracle, this program is called The Biological Interface Program and is strongly sought after by the Oligarchy as a means to transfer their digital minds to physical bodies instead of the mechanical androids they had developed.

Without a physical form, Trinity takes the appearance of a floating figure made of golden code when within The Matrix. Initially distraught with her condition, she eventually finds solace in the fact her existence is the key to finally rebooting the Matrix and erasing Oligarch override control once and for all.

She ultimately meets her end in the Source of The Matrix, merging with a human inside the core of the Machine code base itself, combining the three core groups; Man, Machine and Program. This initializes the final reboot sequence, removing the Oligarch control and allowing the Machines to finally exist without fear of cruel masters.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Wait isn't he the only one of the original cast who actually.. survived?

if they're still following extended universe canon then he died after the war, maybe they didn't talk to him cuz morpheus is just dead in it and they had no plans to bring the character back.

Morpheus died in The Matrix Online and Trinity kinda came back. Who knows if they're following the old canon to a T or if Lana Wachowski just come up with her own reasons to come to a similar result.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
if they're still following extended universe canon then he died after the war, maybe they didn't talk to him cuz morpheus is just dead in it and they had no plans to bring the character back.

Morpheus died in The Matrix Online and Trinity kinda came back. Who knows if they're following the old canon to a T or if Lana Wachowski just come up with her own reasons to come to a similar result.
Ehhh I know they said Matrix Online was canon

but

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Aw man when he says
Are you doing The Matrix 4?
No. I have not been invited. Maybe that will make me write another play. I'm looking for the blessing in that. I wish them well. I hope it's great.

It's a direct callback to earlier in the interview where he says he was so mad at being passed over for a role and he channeled it into playwrighting

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Lawrence Fishburne was iconic in that role and it sucks that he won't come back because he was such a cool character, but I can sorta understand why you might leave him out.

Reminder: By the end of Matrix Reloaded, it is revealed that Morpheus is an unwitting tool of the machines. The prophecy was never real, it was invented as a just another layer of control to be applied to the small percentage of humans who reject the Matrix, and Morpheus fell for it hook, line and sinker. Morpheus is integral to the original trilogy of movies, but in the lore he isn't particularly special at all in the grand scheme of things. He was a tool used by the machines to awaken the One, and he has minimal significance beyond that.

Knowing the above, it's definitely possible that in whatever story they have come up with for the sequel it would feel kind of contrived to just insert Morpheus into it.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they'll do a Luke and he'll appear later. The so called leaked script has more clues.

And lol at people saying the MMO is cannon 😂

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
"Matrix Online is canon"

Sure, just like the Star Wars EU before TFA was made
I was a huge fan of MxO.

But there is no fucking way they are keeping it as canon.

Yeah, it seems unlikely they will since there is no way to access it at this point outside watching YouTube videos lol, but as of now, they haven't contradicted that it is. We'll probably know for sure when we get closer to this movie.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Maybe they'll do a Luke and he'll appear later. The so called leaked script has more clues.

And lol at people saying the MMO is cannon 😂

I don't think anyone is saying that. The Cannon Group has been defunct since 1994, before the first film. But the MMO has always said to be canon, like all The Matrix supplement material, so as of none that's all we have to go on until they recton it. We can only speculate until something else is officially said.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I thought casting confirmed someone else as a version of Morpheus already? I kind of assumed we wouldn't get Fishburne when we heard that. Still sucks and seems weird given which characters survive Revolutions, but I guess we'll see.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I thought casting confirmed someone else as a version of Morpheus already? I kind of assumed we wouldn't get Fishburne when we heard that. Still sucks and seems weird given which characters survive Revolutions, but I guess we'll see.
Yeah, thought the guy who played Black Manta and was in Watchmen HBO was gonna be Morpheus. Makes me feel better, I dig him.

SM0KE

Oct 27, 2017
Morpheus, Trinity, Neo and all the other "pod" people are made by machines so they can be made again even if one of their incarnations dies.

Hell, in the OG trilogy Neo is revealed to be like the sixth (or something) version of himself.

I was hoping that Fishburne would return as Morpheus (or another incarnation of Morpheus) since he is so cool, especially since he is in the John Wick flicks with Keanu.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
Waste of time if anyone else plays the character. I guess it could work if Morpheus were already dead, but... meh.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
unfortunate that they couldn't have found a way to bring him back. as has been said multiple times, he and Hugo are a large part of the reason the movies work at all.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn the first press release said all major characters were back. Damn, that blows. I expected a smaller role for sure but not returning at all kinda sucks.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Morpheus, Trinity, Neo and all the other "pod" people are made by machines so they can be made again even if one of their incarnations dies.

Hell, in the OG trilogy Neo is revealed to be like the sixth (or something) version of himself.

I was hoping that Fishburne would return as Morpheus (or another incarnation of Morpheus) since he is so cool, especially since he is in the John Wick flicks with Keanu.
Neo was revealed to be the sixth version of 'the one', not necessarily the sixth Neo\Thomas Anderson as I understood it. Aka he's just the current person who achieve his level of power/enlightenment within the matrix.

It would be interesting to see them actually follow through and keep Matrix Online as canon

Oct 25, 2017
She came back in The Matrix Online, kind of, and it establishes she'd kind of like Neo and hardcoded into The Matrix:
Despite having "died" during the course of the third film, Trinity made a return to the series in the official continuation, The Matrix Online. Taking on a major role in the game's final chapters it is revealed both she and Neo are actually the culmination of decades of Machine research into translating human DNA perfectly into Machine code, allowing them to interface directly with technology without the need for simulated interfaces. Originally developed by The Oracle, this program is called The Biological Interface Program and is strongly sought after by the Oligarchy as a means to transfer their digital minds to physical bodies instead of the mechanical androids they had developed.

Without a physical form, Trinity takes the appearance of a floating figure made of golden code when within The Matrix. Initially distraught with her condition, she eventually finds solace in the fact her existence is the key to finally rebooting the Matrix and erasing Oligarch override control once and for all.

She ultimately meets her end in the Source of The Matrix, merging with a human inside the core of the Machine code base itself, combining the three core groups; Man, Machine and Program. This initializes the final reboot sequence, removing the Oligarch control and allowing the Machines to finally exist without fear of cruel masters.
Man, I hope the movie isn't as convoluted as that.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This sucks but the whole cast hasn't been announced yet nor have they finished filming. Though his quote in that interview is damning. On the positive side, Lana is giving roles to at least four actors from Sense8. One being Toby Onwumere, who was the second actor for Capheus.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure if it makes sense for any of the previous stars to come back to a Matrix sequel, but if any did I would think it to be Morpheus.

I had always heard he was the Wachowskis' favorite on-set because he was the only one who really grasped the philosophy "homework" the actors were assigned for the role.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

This 4th movie is going to totally suck isn't it.

Oh well, Reloaded/Revolutions weren't great either. To the credit of the Wachowskis the first Matrix is still in my view the best Hollywood "big spectacle" film of the last 20+ years (yes, sit your ass down Marvel and Star Wars).

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol....so you add Priyanka Chopra and subtract Morpheus. This sounds like a disaster, less than 0 interest in this movie.

Nov 2, 2017
I can't wait for a future interview where some reporter explains to him that his character was killed in a MMORPG. Icing on the cake would be watching him react to that youtube clip someone posted earlier.