• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
www.vulture.com

Laurence Fishburne Knows Who He Is

With his much-anticipated return to Broadway postponed until next year, one of America’s most accomplished actors reflects on his career.

Long good interview but at the end he says:
Are you doing The Matrix 4?
No. I have not been invited. Maybe that will make me write another play. I'm looking for the blessing in that. I wish them well. I hope it's great.

For those unaware, the film was in production already, but has been delayed.

www.resetera.com

Matrix 4 delayed to 2022.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/matrix-4-godzilla-vs-king-release-date-changes-1202958388/

Kind of wish he was back. Thought the coolest reunion would have been Neo, Trinity, and Morpheus together.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cold not to even talk to the guy, even if they're not planning on having him in it. Was there beef?

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it makes sense for any of the previous stars to come back to a Matrix sequel, but if any did I would think it to be Morpheus.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Are you shitting me?

He has to be there. God damn it. Hype deflated.

Also the Highway scene with Morpheous id the reason the 2nd movie deserves to exist.

The whole framing, choreography, effects (last CG is the worst bit) just oozes with so much creativity and Laurence did an amazing job there.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it was just for story reasons (e.g. a time jump?). At least with the Wachowskis at the helm we don't have to worry about a lack of on screen diversity.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
It's been so long since I've seen any of the movies in the franchise that I don't remember where all the characters ended up. If Morpheus was able to be here, I wish he was (portrayed by Lawrence Fishburne). Maybe Morpheus will be here played by someone else.

Oct 30, 2017
Going thru that article, he holds the Morpheus role in high regard, he got to be awesome in so many ways. This makes me sad.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a cameo? Very disappointing to hear.

I am very curious to see how the film will play out, but I kinda tuned out when Hugo Weaving was comfirmed to not be in this one either. Will try to see it when it comes out though.

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017

If any of you have played the MMO game that was released after The Matrix Revolutions; the game is treated and considered canon. In the game Morpheus tries to retrieve Neo's body from the Machines in the game. He is assassinated by the Machines in the game. While unorthodox to consider the MMO as canon for a future movie; that might be a reason why they aren't including him? Also we're not quite sure as of yet as to why the original cast is in the new movie correct?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its sucks for him as an actor but I don't want this to be a Force Awakens nostalgia film. Morpheus is just a dude. Wasn't his story over? I'm bummed that Neo and Trinity are back. New stories and characters over spotlighting legacy characters.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Even if he was invited, how would they explain his weight? Like, why would he make his digital self fat?

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I'd much rather have Morpheus back than Neo if it were on or the other, so this kinda sucks to hear.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Damn the best part of the Matrix was Neo and Morpheus' relationship dynamic. Trinity and Neo was just kind of meh.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Sucks really, Morpheus is my favorite character in the series. I assumed he was there and just hasn't shown up on set yet....but now knowing he isn't there period hurts.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's a shame, but they've got the Watchmen guy playing young Morpheus which sounds fucking perfect.

Really wish they brought Morphy back instead of Trinity tbh; having her die in Relaoded, be saved, die again, be saved again is just dopey as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
As for the topic, yea, I'd much rather have Morpheus be the only original cast member making a cameo.

Feel like Lana got it backwards here.

Well, only time will tell if it was the right call.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Who cares? It's a new film. Not everyone from the last movie has to be in a sequel. If the story isn't about Morpheus he doesn't need to be in it.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
So Neo is the only one coming back? That makes me wonder about what the story in this one will be about. Maybe some sort of reincarnation of the chosen one many years after the end of revolutions

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

If any of you have played the MMO game that was released after The Matrix Revolutions; the game is treated and considered canon. In the game Morpheus tries to retrieve Neo's body from the Machines in the game. He is assassinated by the Machines in the game. While unorthodox to consider the MMO as canon for a future movie; that might be a reason why they aren't including him? Also we're not quite sure as of yet as to why the original cast is in the new movie correct?
I seriously hope they didn't use that as the reason behind it. I mean I get why but why the one thing that nobody would remember or be able to go back too

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Morpheus is dead. Why would he be in the next one? Don't Palpatine this shit lol

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Morpheus was killed in The Matrix Online, which the Wachowskis considered canon. 🤷‍♂️

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So is this supposed to take place not long after Revolutions or what? I get people wanting certain characters but what if the story doesn't involve them anymore? He's supposed to be dead, as is Smith. Not everyone needs to come back.