• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wow at the doubling down. People really need to learn that in these situations the very best thing they can do is just shut up and listen to what others are saying.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
there's definitely a language barrier, but this is a really bad look, even with "propaganda" changed to "opinion"

cis people ITT please stop defending SWERY. you can't be blatantly transphobic, do the absolute bare minimum to change anything while whining about it the whole time, and expect people to still take you seriously as an ally.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Can we stop letting this guy off now? Just because he's quirky and operates through a language barrier is not an excuse.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck he consulted with and said to him that this was ok and trans people would like it?

Truly shame that he decided to go down this path.
To be fair, there's no indication that anyone said it was OK, only that "he did everything he can for Deadly Premonition 2".
As in, this is all he could have done without dedicating extra resources to even begin fixing this mess. He promised a fix not understanding the extent of the issue, thinking that he could alter some dialogue and call it a day as if there weren't issues with literally everything about that character.

Wait, the trans character in this game is a pervert?
It's a murderous sister fucker. Again.
Swery is clearly a big fan of a very specific harmful trope.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

This isn't a great excuse given both his other major titles have dealt in transgender themes.

I sadly think he's being genuine here. But if he feels transgender needs 'explaining' by creating a clear gendered distinction between then and now that is factually incorrect and blatantly transphobic, maybe don't put trans people in your games.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
it's difficult to trust what SWERY is saying at face value. Clearly, he understands the issue to a degree. He did, in fact, make a change to DP2 in response to LKD's video (edit: correction, the fix may have been in the works well before the video). But that just makes his refusal to do further changes so damning. He acknowledges the problem, doesn't even make a genuine effort to fully resolve it, and then washes his hands of it saying that his decision has been validated.

Further, SWERY isn't saying that the game is flawed and that there are examples of unintended transphobia in the game that should not be there. That it should be fixed but isn't going to be -- which could be understandable given limitations on money + time + etc. Rather, he's saying that this is the right choice for these characters now.

None of this follows to reason. He's gone back and forth regarding acknowledging what the actual problem is. And worse yet, in my opinion, has shown no genuine effort or intention to actually do better going forward.

That said, I hope he does continue a dialogue on the issue. I hope, even with all of his mistakes, he keeps trying to learn. Because the absolute worst thing he could do write now is shut down the trans community while it's very sincerely trying to help SWERY do better.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
Yeah, I think I'm gonna pass on this. One of the YouTubers I watch is always talking about how the first deadly premonition was his favorite game ever and he's been super looking forward to this, making me want to play the first one but it sounds like I'm going to have to take a hard pass on this franchise.

Swerys comments keep making it worse and worse.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish people would just fucking hire folks when they are trying to navigate spaces that arent clearly theirs, you don't fuck up, you make your work have more meaning and you put cash in the pockets of the underepresented. It's a triple win.

I wasnt gonna buy this janky ass game but this pretty much means i'm avoiding Sweary stuff.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He did, in fact, make a change to DP2 in response to LKD's video.
not that it matters but he acknowledged that specific issue before laura's video and the patch must have been in the works before that video as well. other people pointed out the issue with the dead naming in that scene pretty much the day the game launched. (edit: actually, before the game launched, in the reviews).

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
not that it matters but he acknowledged that specific issue before laura's video and the patch must have been in the works before that video as well. other people pointed out the issue with the dead naming in that scene pretty much the day the game launched.
cheers, thanks. i added an edit. all the more frustrating considering how dismissive he's been of Laura.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
this really fucking sucks and i can't believe it got worse as I actually believed the issue was going to be genuinely fixed.

Does The Good Life have a trans character?

I don't think anythings been confirmed yet, but the original pitch definitely had a gay character, so probably.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think in general much of Japanese society doesn't have the complete grasp on the sensitivity of social issues in the west.
The average Japanese person doesn't even think racism exists because they never encounter it in their daily life.
But still, there are no excuses for the trans representation issues in his games. He needs to reach out to trans voices if he wants to continue using trans characters -- I think he really doesn't understand the nuance necessary to portray theses things the correct way.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think in general much of Japanese society doesn't have the complete grasp on the sensitivity of social issues in the west.
The average Japanese person doesn't even think racism exists because they never encounter it in their daily life.
But still, there are no excuses for the trans representation issues in his games. He needs to reach out to trans voices if he wants to continue using trans characters -- I think he really doesn't understand the nuance necessary to portray theses things the correct way.
this is were the publisher comes in. rising star, a western company, should feel responsible for the content they're publishing.

Jun 13, 2020
it's difficult to trust what SWERY is saying at face value. Clearly, he understands the issue to a degree. He did, in fact, make a change to DP2 in response to LKD's video (edit: correction, the fix may have been in the works well before the video). But that just makes his refusal to do further changes so damning. He acknowledges the problem, doesn't even make a genuine effort to fully resolve it, and then washes his hands of it saying that his decision has been validated.

Further, SWERY isn't saying that the game is flawed and that there are examples of unintended transphobia in the game that should not be there. That it should be fixed but isn't going to be -- which could be understandable given limitations on money + time + etc. Rather, he's saying that this is the right choice for these characters now.

None of this follows to reason. He's gone back and forth regarding acknowledging what the actual problem is. And worse yet, in my opinion, has shown no genuine effort or intention to actually do better going forward.

That said, I hope he does continue a dialogue on the issue. I hope, even with all of his mistakes, he keeps trying to learn. Because the absolute worst thing he could do write now is shut down the trans community while it's very sincerely trying to help SWERY do better.
How many free passes can we keep giving him though? He seemed genuine when he admitted to have made mistakes, but then once it was pointed out to him that the fixes weren't enough, he just declared that he was done making changes and that the game is fine as it is.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
this is were the publisher comes in. rising star, a western company, should feel responsible for the content they're publishing.

I absolutely agree with you. There are cultural and language barriers here, and it is the localization/publishing companies responsibility to critique SWERY's writing in terms of proper representation.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there's no indication that anyone said it was OK, only that "he did everything he can for Deadly Premonition 2".
As in, this is all he could have done without dedicating extra resources to even begin fixing this mess. He promised a fix not understanding the extent of the issue, thinking that he could alter some dialogue and call it a day as if there weren't issues with literally everything about that character.
True, his wording confused me a bit but what you are saying is more than likely the correct interpretation.

That's the thing though, he clearly felt compelled to properly represent a trans character in The Missing to the point that of reaching out to trans people to get their voices on the matter.

Why did he felt that not doing the same for a major trans character in his next game would be the correct way of handling things is what I find baffling, and the only explanation I can think of is that he honestly thought that he had a grasp into how a trans character should be written which is just all kinds of wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
I have never played the game, so is it about a man working through his ignorance and bigotry, or is the writing more reflecting of the dev himself?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
As long as SWERY continues to engage in the dialogue, I'm hopeful for progress. His heart seems to be in the right place. His responses are kind of damning even if it's difficult to parse exactly what he's trying to say through the language barrier since he ostensibly uses "google-Sensei" to translate for him.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I have never played the game, so is it about a man working through his ignorance and bigotry, or is the writing more reflecting of the dev himself?
Not really no, the main character is an outspoken defender of trans rights who vocally admonishes the small town mentality and bigotry of the townsfolk, which is great.
But then the same character goes on to use the trans characters deadname and refers to their past gender which is at odds with the previous actions.
Its not really a massive part of the plot though the villains motivations are influenced by the bigotry of her family and the townsfolk

Oct 25, 2017
for all of his talk of a diverse group to help him fix things, he is sure ignoring the diverse group trying to tell him his job isn't done while he claps the dirt from his hands.

maybe he should spend less time drinKING and spend more time thinKING.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not really no, the main character is an outspoken defender of trans rights who vocally admonishes the small town mentality and bigotry of the townsfolk, which is great.
But then the same character goes on to use the trans characters deadname and refers to their past gender which is at odds with the previous actions.
Its not really a massive part of the plot though the villains motivations are influenced by the bigotry of her family and the townsfolk
this. in swery's now-deleted tweets, he makes clear that he doesn't believe deadnaming is deadnaming. in other words, york isn't meant to be bigoted and only is so because swery doesn't believe what he's writing is hateful.

Edh_LKPXoAAIDV0

Oct 26, 2017
this. in swery's now-deleted tweets, he makes clear that he doesn't believe deadnaming is deadnaming. in other words, york isn't meant to be bigoted and only is so because swery doesn't believe what he's writing is hateful.

Edh_LKPXoAAIDV0
Well hope he grows from this, though it's too bad he's not being open minded with his response to criticism. I mean yeah, there are people like that in the real world, but usually in a game narrative you wanna be consistent with your message or at least aware of a character's own faults

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of everything going on but it seems that Swery is woefully uninformed on a lot of LGBTQ issues which is not really surprising given that he is Japanese where much of this is hush hush and still pretty new to lots of people as more awareness is being raised in Japan. I imagine he thought he was being an ally by trying to include LGBTQ characters in his games but ultimately fucking that up a lot of the time.

It's too bad he can't be more open to the criticism and concern if he really wants to do right. And I am not suggesting people go easy on him but at least understand the type of background he is coming from.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't know what I expected, or why I expected anything else...
I'm sick of this fucking shit, and then on Laura's tweet replies and there's a bunch of pieces of shit vermin harassing her and trans people...
Fuck, just fucking stop putting trans characters in your game if you're going to refuse to listen to trans people, we might genuinely be safer if you stopped doing that...

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of everything going on but it seems that Swery is woefully uninformed on a lot of LGBTQ issues which is not really surprising given that he is Japanese where much of this is hush hush and still pretty new to lots of people as more awareness is being raised in Japan. I imagine he thought he was being an ally by trying to include LGBTQ characters in his games but ultimately fucking that up a lot of the time.

It's too bad he can't be more open to the criticism and concern if he really wants to do right. And I am not suggesting people go easy on him but at least understand the type of background he is coming from.

"SWERY was uninformed"

LOL no he wasn't, he's had this in his games consistently. He's made one of the most critically praised games of all time. He's a sophisticated person. He can be held to account for his views. Your infantilizing of him is entirely divorced from reality.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
What's with Swery and trans representation? I mean, it's great that games are being developed while acknowledging and including trans characters, but why is he hung up on including trans characters in every game if he isn't willing to take constructive criticism from trans people?

Also, it's past time he only tweeted in japanese or hired someone to translate his tweets for him. Even the publisher should've intervened by now, it's also clearly hurting the game.
Agreed on both points. It's really baffling, those two steps seem like the obvious things to do right now but he's just making it worse with his tweets.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Shout out to the creatives in Japan that want to create meaningful and considerate views on trans identities and care enough to manage it.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like he's taking a few days off as Japanese holiday. Hope he gets some perspective in this time:

(I did not read the comments. Can imagine what a lot of them look like)

Faith

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Now that I can actually comment on this, all I can say is that I'm so, so disappointed. It's clear the Missing was a minor miracle due to the consultants and not Swery himself.

If he won't have consultants for any future projects, I'd rather not have any trans representation at all. No representation is better than bad representation. Sorry, I don't want representation to be a murderous sister fucker who gets deadnamed and misgendered.

Oct 25, 2017
looks like he also deleted even more tweets, including the one where he said they did all they could, but he left the one up asking why he was still being attacked.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So apparently Swery considers it important to the character of York that he is perceived by players as a bumbling ally who in his ignorance engages in transphobic behavior by deadnaming a trans character when referring to her in the past?

Why? I don't get it.
Especially as Swery has emphasized that he doesn't want people to dislike his characters.
Like, what the hell? Don't introduce this unlikable aspect to York then?

And I haven't played the game, but apparently it never frames the deadnaming as a bad thing. It's just presented as something that's normal and fine?

Edh_LKPXoAAIDV0
Oh, now things make more sense.

There's still a chance he learns something from all this, but he should probably definitely hire consultants if he's going to handle this topic and characters again.

Feb 24, 2018
Reading all about this, this sucks and it's a massive shame and disgusting how many people are going after Laura for this, like Twitter, why the f*** are your top results for Dale transphobic people making s*** up are trying to dig up dirt (or can't let go of the Persona 5 music mistake).

My disappointment with Twitter continuing to be a breeding ground and supporting transphobia aside, all of this has been depressing to read, wanted to play the original Deadly Premonitions but won't now. Hope the hate and abuse isn't affecting Laura.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this game today and wanted to chime in. The weirdness that exists in this game now -- and most certainly before the edits, a version I didn't see -- is kind of crazy. Like, this game is actually really bad on kind of all fronts, right? With the exception of York having a strongly positive attitude in one or two scenes, the game is *filled* with some vile, racist, transphobic, ableist stuff. Like in between York doing, what, "Voodoo voice", the constant stereotyping of black people, how the entire subplot of Lena is dealt with, and the final boss being every upsetting trope of mental sickness kind of wrapped up into one... it's just sort of nuts that this game exists in this form and that Swery thinks he's some kind of progressive icon. Getting back to Lena, though, the edit is a hatchet job. For one, there's still dead-naming, which I'm sure everyone here knows already, but the text is still actually in the game so you're just kind of reading everything that was removed (I think). It's a really lazy approach to fixing a serious problem, and unfortunately it rings true to the other issues prominent in the game that remain unfixed.

I've seen some takes that somehow what's on display here is somehow great. I realize it isn't my lane to say with any kind of certainty than the outcome here is nefarious, or whatever, but the tone and sense of the work that I was able to extract is kind of overwhelmingly negative. This game is so filled with questionable content, though, that I just don't see how it could be fixed even if there were 10 patches. Some of what's here seems rotten at its core.