• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
I have a launch switch and don't have an issue with the battery, I rarely play more then 2hrs out and about and when travelling battery pack keeps it going.
What about you?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Completely fine. Exactly as it was on day 1, and I get 2-3 hours in most games.

99% of my playtime is in handheld mode, so I have considered upgrading to the better battery, but it's never felt like a necessity.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
My launch switch stays in the dock now that I have a Switch Lite, but it seemed to be holding up fine when I was playing Pokemon on it a few months back.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Reaaaaally poor. It's at the point where I can't really leave the house with it without a battery pack.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah it's not great with the brightness up, which it pretty much has to be to see in any kind of lighted room or outside. Maybe an hour or so.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Definitely a bit worse than it used to be, d'oh. I have played it a ton in handheld so that must've taken its toll

Not the end of the world as I have room in my case for a USB-C cable, still I desperately wish the battery was easily replacable :/

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
My OG switch is terrible, I played my brother's updated switch the other day for nearly twice as long.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fine I guess, but I don't take it out of the house to begin with so meh

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't really tell you. I have not used it in handheld mode enough to know if there's a difference now versus then.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The same as it was when I got it at launch. I have the Pokemon Switch Lite now though, so I use that more.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
My switch isn't exactly launch, but a month or two off, and I play it in handheld a lot sometimes and sometimes a lot docked, but my battery still holds the time it used to. As in like 3 hours in a taxing game, and like 6 in picross

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
My switch isn't exactly launch, but a month or two off, and I play it in handheld a lot sometimes and sometimes a lot docked, but my battery still holds the time it used to. As in like 3 hours in a taxing game, and like 6 in picross

I mean launch model, the one with the 20nm soc (2-3hr with Botw on mid brightness)

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I only play 1.5 hours per day at most so I haven't had any issues. I did run into an issue where I left it turned off for a couple weeks and had to leave it charging overnight to get it back to 100% battery.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
2-3ish hours playing Fire Emblem undocked, usually.

I carry a 20,000mAh power bank wherever I go so that can top it up if I need the extra time, but usually, I'm playing at home where I can just plug it in.

I play 100% in handheld mode too, I haven't docked my Switch since... I don't remember tbh

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Day 1 and still going strong. I don't really play handheld for more than an hour or so at a time, so the shorter OG battery life was never an issue for me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Launch Switch and it only last a few hours tops. Thankfully I play it primarily on the TV otherwise the battery life is pretty bad a portable.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
My launch Switch has been in its dock 99.99% of the time. That said I still get the usual 2-3 hours I was getting on day one when mobile. Hasn't been an issue really. Everytime I mean to play it when commuting I don't, kinda embarrassed.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Still get 1-3 hours depending on game out of it. The Joy-cons, however, cannot be charged on the Switch anymore. They'll charge and then just sit there in a powered state and bleed of all the charge without the Switch topping them off again.

I had to buy a charging grip to keep my Joy-cons charged.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine, but my launch switch lives in it's dock now, as a few others have said.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Totally fine, but am curious about the newer, better battery life Switches. But not enough to upgrade unless I can get my hands on the Animal Crossing model.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly use it docked, but when I've used it in handheld mode lately it keeps up just fine, with FE it lasts around 2-3 hours.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Feels almost the exact same battery time when I first tried BOTW in handheld almost 3 years ago.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
It was never that good, but its not terribly different than where it was at launch. Maybe lost a half hour or so.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I think its basically the same as always and I have played like 70% of my total time on my daily conmute

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I hope Nintendo use battery tech which does not degrade as quick on there future switch models.
I suppose its not to hard to replace the battery, it was good that vita had replaceable battery.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just traded mine in yesterday for a new one because of battery. Was getting 2 hours if lucky.
Glad I did too. The joy cons and extended battery life are worth the upgrade IMO.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I think its fine? I don't normally play outside the house much. If I'm playing handheld its no longer than an hour or so and I'm within meters of a dock.