• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The end of the road: The Pokémon Company finally responded to our Latin American campaign!!

AVvXsEhgJgnZlrvJ-4Aexa1Q0nfReEPaVA9QJDOrhniKzxQJ1VTDctOdzm4nxTrzANDn1QEozofZXcp_qH0suFzA32BBiE1IaolvtoWzqptd3NxZfGZRgrVspe5v0SvyRZeT-zYy_lB-4fHoiRWVbsIOiTudO-3FzY6qe9Dj8OEyYunVUYEBmPJeoBJUTUtr

It will not happen for the 9th gen (Scarlet / Violet), but they are studying how and when to localize for Latin America (fingers crossed for generation 10!).

Thank you very much for all the support in our Latin American campaign! 😃😃😃

que guay

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
Cool they gave a response and hopefully they deliver ASAP. Xenoblade might be one of the last major Nintendo properties (if not the last one) that still don't receive a proper translation in LA Spanish. That probably ain't changing any time soon, though.

Shinichi999

Dec 9, 2021
And... FINALLY!!!

TPCi is looking for Latam Spanish translators to work directly with them in their London office, where the core games are translated!
AVvXsEg0ERdIg_oYhpo-5nFVEhX1dPz3Xsco7n5pwqC9Rt82LdO9aaIqwFBRlxnG1Emp0IcKy9R5S69H6-4j8yzF1yddlmiDzDu_0dDdBzOPNUcLYNwZXXSKzD2JCyhV0dMM9ZbFWo3TAPyGUKCK4ONMclWAZYDzu2BSJIxqsNfdlLsQqM0pJiPmeB4xLznt

We'll finally have the main games officially and appropiated translated and localized for the Latin American market!

Gosh... I still can't believe it! When I started this campaign on ANMTV I never thought that this could happen so fast... but it is! It's really happening!

Thanks a lot to everyone for your incredible support! This is a historic day and a triumph not only for ANMTV, but for the entire Latino community! 😃

Expect more news very soon!! 😉

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
And... FINALLY!!!

TPCi is looking for Latam Spanish translators to work directly with them in their London office, where the core games are translated!
AVvXsEg0ERdIg_oYhpo-5nFVEhX1dPz3Xsco7n5pwqC9Rt82LdO9aaIqwFBRlxnG1Emp0IcKy9R5S69H6-4j8yzF1yddlmiDzDu_0dDdBzOPNUcLYNwZXXSKzD2JCyhV0dMM9ZbFWo3TAPyGUKCK4ONMclWAZYDzu2BSJIxqsNfdlLsQqM0pJiPmeB4xLznt

We'll finally have the main games officially and appropiated translated and localized for the Latin American market!

Gosh... I still can't believe it! When I started this campaign on ANMTV I never thought that this could happen so fast... but it is! It's really happening!

Thanks a lot to everyone for your incredible support! This is a historic day and a triumph not only for ANMTV, but for the entire Latino community! 😃

You love to see it.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
And... FINALLY!!!

Amazing.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
And... FINALLY!!!

This is terrific. What a great thing to see.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And... FINALLY!!!

que chilo

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Maybe in two decades, someone on TPC will find out that there's a small country in Latin America called Brazil, with a small population of 220 million people, that DOESNT speak any form of Spanish and in fact speaks Portuguese. When this happens we'll be only another 20 years of a proper Brazilian Portuguese Pokemon translated game.

Finger crossed.

Shinichi999

Dec 9, 2021

Yeah, but I don't think they will even call me... I'm sure they will prefer translators who live in London.

I can only wish the best to the new translators... I hope they do a good job, as there is an urgent need to tidy up all the terms in latam spanish (the terminology in latam is a mess nowadays).

That's why I made my own list with ALL the proper terms based on the anime in Latam Spanish. I don't think they will considerate it but I sent it to them anyway!

Oct 25, 2017
well yeah, is hard, there are 20 or so countries in America that speaks spanish, so is a bit hard to find a terminology that satisfy them all and don't imply sex or a penis haha.

Good luck anyway, it does say relocation package, so maybe you have a chance.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe in two decades, someone on TPC will find out that there's a small country in Latin America called Brazil, with a small population of 220 million people, that DOESNT speak any form of Spanish and in fact speaks Portuguese. When this happens we'll be only another 20 years of a proper Brazilian Portuguese Pokemon translated game.

Finger crossed.

do they officially sell Nintendo games in Brazil again? i thought Nintendo had basically pulled out.

edit: oh yeah i remember now. that was a few years ago? i'm guessing it'll probably be a while before Nintendo actually puts it into their pipeline.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
On one hand, this should definitely happen. But on another hand, those penis references for the Spain specific localization are hilarious.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
And... FINALLY!!!

¡Enhorabuena! :D

On one hand, this should definitely happen. But on another hand, those penis references for the Spain specific localization are hilarious.
Looking them from the view of the latam players, yes. But we have to keep in mind that in Spain, these expressions doesn't make reference to the penis.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
well yeah, is hard, there are 20 or so countries in America that speaks spanish, so is a bit hard to find a terminology that satisfy them all and don't imply sex or a penis haha.

Good luck anyway, it does say relocation package, so maybe you have a chance.

I mean, there are people who are professional translators whose job is to know these nuances. It's more of a question of whether companies sink in the money/effort to hire someone qualified.

Considering how much of an afterthought localization is it doesn't surprise that these bad translations slip in. They are always looking to cut corners and I have caught translation issues outsourced localization companies who put in the lowest bid. Considering my Spanish is anus, it's pretty bad when I end up correcting people whose job is to do this professionally. I have ran into that jugador izquierda bug before.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Yeah, but I don't think they will even call me... I'm sure they will prefer translators who live in London.

I can only wish the best to the new translators... I hope they do a good job, as there is an urgent need to tidy up all the terms in latam spanish (the terminology in latam is a mess nowadays).

That's why I made my own list with ALL the proper terms based on the anime in Latam Spanish. I don't think they will considerate it but I sent it to them anyway!

Considering how you guys had the games in iberian spanish but the anime seemed to be closer to the english script, it's no wonder that a lot of terms might have ended up as a mix of both. Hope you guys get sorted out. Thankfully there's a lot of extensive fan wiki pages nowadays to get a glimpse of how every little thing was handled so far.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
translations for most of their games for a while now, Pokémon is really their only mayor game that still doesn't have a translation for the region.

n2jj4wh91it51%2B%25281%2529.png

The problem is not that image, which is what makes our translations (Spain) fun and with personality. If you show me this image i applaud the localization team here, its weird is used as a criticism in this thread. I would have actually killed to have something like that for games like Splatoon, which clearly needs them (the english version ir really playful with it for example). The Spain translation of those games in Spain is pretty subpar, which is weird becuase nintendo usually does great ones (that and the smash narrator being a german trying to speak spanish in all games since brawl, that is trashh also, has been cirticised, but never reverted to an actual spain voice actor).

The big problem is that they dont get a proper translation, and im 100% they should fight for it. Other nintendo games do get preoper latin american translations and even dubs, why doesnt pokemon. I mean a campaign and fight shouldnt even be need, it should be the fucking norm, yet its not.

We fighted to stop getting generic spanish (also known as clearly mexican) translations of animated shows in the 90's, we also fighted wghen Microsoft tried to do the same shit with Halo 2, and fucked up we getting a mass effect dub in the process. And thankfully the halo stuff was reverted.

Campaigns and fighting need to happen by the latin american community, but not at the expense of Spain translations.

"Pito" means "whistle" in LatAm and Spain, but in LatAm (at least Mexico) it is a REALLY common slang for penis. Probably 80% of the time you hear "pito" here it's referring to a penis.

Eh its the EXACT same then, kids use pito as penis all the time here.

EDIT Just saw this in the last page
The end of the road: The Pokémon Company finally responded to our Latin American campaign!!

AVvXsEhgJgnZlrvJ-4Aexa1Q0nfReEPaVA9QJDOrhniKzxQJ1VTDctOdzm4nxTrzANDn1QEozofZXcp_qH0suFzA32BBiE1IaolvtoWzqptd3NxZfGZRgrVspe5v0SvyRZeT-zYy_lB-4fHoiRWVbsIOiTudO-3FzY6qe9Dj8OEyYunVUYEBmPJeoBJUTUtr

It will not happen for the 9th gen (Scarlet / Violet), but they are studying how and when to localize for Latin America (fingers crossed for generation 10!).

Thank you very much for all the support in our Latin American campaign!
😃
😃
😃

Congrats latam. I mean its should be as easy as actually hire latin american localizators for the translation, but i suppose, as scarlet and violet are in Spain, it shouldnt be as jarring? like watching coco here which was kept in mexican spanish? lol
I mean, i personaly think those games should still have been transalted in lat am, and i dont think its too late to do, but oh well.
But ddont let the slide with just a good message, if the next game after that doesnt come properly translated, fight for it again.

Finger crossed.
This is incredibly strange also WTF, seem like TPC doesnt have much presence, or doesnt want to in lat am?
Becuase like, brazil is even getting dubs of major games left and right, wtf is TPC doing.

Last edited:

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I hope they don't remove the Spain Spanish translation. It's genuinely one of the best localizations in our language. :/

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't remove the Spain Spanish translation. It's genuinely one of the best localizations in our language. :/
Yeah, this TPC fucker money counters could go completely the other direction and do a microsoft here just to save a little bit of money. At least that mjessage talks about exanding localization, not uniting everything, so hoping for the best.
That image shouldnt have been used though as a mean of criticising anything.

Finger crossed.
This is incredibly strange also WTF, seem like TPC doesnt have much presence, or doesnt want to in lat am?
Becuase like, brazil is even getting dubs of major games left and right, wtf is TPC doing.

And... FINALLY!!!

Thanks a lot to everyone for your incredible support! This is a historic day and a triumph not only for ANMTV, but for the entire Latino community!
😃

Expect more news very soon!!
😉

Do we know if the usual spanish translator team has been fired? (like by looking at linkedin) I just hope they have both of them, like any company should.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
As a Madrid native and resident, it's downring surreal how much, well, Madrilian Spanish the examples above are. I think even non-Madrilian Spaniards would find it jarring, let alone Latin American people. It would be the equivalent of having the US translation be in Cockney.

I'm guessing the translators believed they were doing an exclusively peninsular Spanish translation. Really awful and cheap of Nintendo to skip the American Spanish translation.
As a non-Madrilian Spaniard, wtf is that localization indeed. Jarring is an understatement. To be fair, I have never played a Pokemon game in Spanish, but that would definitely take me out of the game right away.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb even in Spain though.
No its, not. Im sure the character is like that in other langauges, its just localized for us so she sounds like a pija idiot.
As a non-Madrilian Spaniard, wtf is that localization indeed. Jarring is an understatement. To be fair, I have never played a Pokemon game in Spanish, but that would definitely take me out of the game right away.
Yeah lets make it like Splatoon, the most generic thing ever, while still being Spain Spanish, wihout any type of fun like english has. Let me know... you also hate ALL spanish dubs.

As a Madrid native and resident, it's downring surreal how much, well, Madrilian Spanish the examples above are. I think even non-Madrilian Spaniards would find it jarring. It would be the equivalent of having the US translation be in Cockney.

Not really, its fun and Im not from Madrid.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is absolutely wild. As a native spanish speaker I'm stunned at these brand-new sentences

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
do they officially sell Nintendo games in Brazil again? i thought Nintendo had basically pulled out.

edit: oh yeah i remember now. that was a few years ago? i'm guessing it'll probably be a while before Nintendo actually puts it into their pipeline.
yes, they do.
Some Nintendo games are even starting to be localized. at least the least complex ones like Mario Party and Switch Sports.

90% of Steam games are localized, from triple As to indies. But you know, carrying about anything that's not in NA, Europe or Asia is too hard for Nintendo and their close partners. I mean, it's not because an indie dev with 5 people can do it, that a giant multi-billion company can.

Last edited:

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
And... FINALLY!!!

Chingón!

That's really cool, congrats! I look forward to seeing what the first LatAm Spanish localization ends up as!

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
What does it mean when someone offers you a "choriceo"? because it sounds bad

Te lo choriceo = I'll steal it from you. The complete phrase is "If you have a super (mazo) cool (guapo) and rare Pokémon, I'll just steal it from you and it'll be like nothing has happened here."
The rest of them are just "trendy" words from the past who help imo make the translation better. I am not from Madrid and I tend to dislike how they speak but Pokemon Castilian translations are just hilarious.

Not sure why they used it as a criticism on the above image. Chorizear, flipado, etc.. I mean, the amount of puns and idioms!!!!
"Eres.. duro de pelar" = reference to a a song from 1996! (Rebeca - Duro de pelar)
"Fitipaldi" = Really happy, really fast people /or animals). A reference to Emerson Fitipaldi!
"Mola mazo" = This is something that was used in Madrid for a long time, but both "mola" and "mazo" come originally from the romani people in Spain and their language, el caló. In fact, many of the "idioms" and expressions we see in Pokemon translations as "castilian-like" or "Madrid-like" all come from caló, the language of the spanish romani people. Dabuti, nasti de plasti are other famous terms that also come from there and that are now known as "things that people from madrid said a few decades ago". :)

So many expressions that people use. References to well known spanish shows! It's lovely. Just lovely. Absolutely lovely. Thank you Nintendo.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
And... FINALLY!!!

Very nice, hopefully it's more than words (no pun intended).
No its, not. Im sure the character is like that in other langauges, its just localized for us so she sounds like a pija idiot.

Yeah lets make it like Splatoon, the most generic thing ever, while still being Spain Spanish, wihout any type of fun like english has. Let me know... you also hate ALL spanish dubs.

Not really, its fun and Im not from Madrid.
To each their own; to me it reads dated, tryhard cool that ends up being cringe as fuck. It's the "how's it going fellow kids" in translation form; clearly done by and for 30+ year olds, not the kids that are the main consumers of Pokemon. What's absolutely not acceptable is for this to also be the translation used for Latin America.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"Chorizo", besides the cold cut, is old slang for "thief". "Choricear" is, by extension, "steal", but you would be hard pressed to hear it used in real life nowadays, even in Madrid, unless the speaker is both 40+ and terminally self-unaware. You're most likely to hear it in comedies, uttered by "streetwise" characters that are written by highly un-streetwise writers... and even those would probably use "guindar" or "levantar" instead.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
"Chorizo", besides the cold cut, is old slang for "thief". "Choricear" is, by extension, "steal", but you would be hard pressed to hear it used in real life nowadays, even in Madrid, unless the speaker is both 40+ and terminally self-unaware. You're most likely to hear it in comedies, uttered by "streetwise" characters that are written by highly un-streetwise writers... and even those would probably use "guindar" or "levantar" instead.

Pero si a Bárcenas (y a otros muchos) se le llama constantemente chorizo. Guindar sí que es algo que dice la gente mayor, la gente joven diría josear o choricear (o directamente robar), al menos desde aquí fuera de Madrid.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
While would it sound bad to anyone in Spain?, that is the important factor here. As answered by seroun, it means to steal in a funny way.

This like english using expressions in their games, movies, whatever is released there.
Its incredibly stupid that anyone out of that country criticeses this stuff. The only thing, and the regionalisms shouldnt be criticised, is just needing a latin american spanish version APART from the spain spanish one, full stop.

Having a more generic and less fun translation in arceus, as i read some latin american cheering in the middle of the thread, SHOULD NOT be the way to go.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm gonna miss hitting some A bocajarrazos

I wonder how neutral will it be. It's so weird that the first Pokemon game to have a Latam localization is going to be the one inspired in Spain lmao

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I really don't think they are going to remove Spain's Spanish at all, LatAm will be just another option when you launch the game

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think they are going to remove Spain's Spanish at all, LatAm will be just another option when you launch the game
I hope is this whats happening, but some people here were already cheering here arceus being more generic, instead of there being 2 different langauages to choose.

Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt though, and will tell myself that was done because of being an old world isntead of modern (and even then, they could have played a little there with olde castillian spanish like the witcher books and thronebreaker gwent game do).

How were the diamond and pearl remakes though, those were done basically at the same time, so i suppose it wouod have impacted both localizations if they were going for a more generic thing now.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Yeah, I don't think any reason why they would do that.

I wonder how neutral will it be. It's so weird that the first Pokemon game to have a Latam localization is going to be the one inspired in Spain lmao
I would not expect a latam localization until the next games after that, the development of the announced games are just too far in development.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Pero si a Bárcenas (y a otros muchos) se le llama constantemente chorizo. Guindar sí que es algo que dice la gente mayor, la gente joven diría josear o choricear (o directamente robar), al menos desde aquí fuera de Madrid.
"Chorizo" se usa mucho, "choricear" no tanto. Por mucho chorizo que haya en el PP (que no falta), yo al menos no oigo a nadie diciéndo que "choricean". Me suena como salido de Makinavaja. :D

Por otro lado, admito que nunca había oído "Josear", pero yo mismo tiro para viejo... :D

Is this even a thing? Literally the first time I've heard this expression, too ("a bocajarrazos", I mean; not "a bocajarro"). Pokemon translators so cutting edge they make up new slang.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
"Chorizo" se usa mucho, "choricear" no tanto. Por mucho chorizo que haya en el PP (que no falta), yo al menos no oigo a nadie diciéndo que "choricean". Me suena como salido de Makinavaja. :D

Por otro lado, admito que nunca había oído "Josear", pero yo mismo tiro para viejo... :D

Is this even a thing? Literally the first time I've heard this expression, too ("a bocajarrazos", I mean; not "a bocajarro"). Pokemon translators so cutting edge they make up new slang.

I probably just made it up by conjugating it as a verb lol

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

True, I hadn't thought about the amount of usage of a noun vs the verb. Josear seems to be coming from trap. Honestly I keep thinking some José guy really fucked up and someone made a verb after him but who knows.

Oh well. I imagine this all will be lost after they make up the new one translation, since I am not sure if they'll have 2 spanish translations. I will miss all the nice references and bits.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Oh well. I imagine this all will be lost after they make up the new one translation, since I am not sure if they'll have 2 spanish translations. I will miss all the nice references and bits.
Changing the attack names that Spanish people have been using for decades will generate a bigger backslash than this, besides a ton of games manage both Spanish localizations with no problems

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Changing the attack names that Spanish people have been using for decades will generate a bigger backslash than this, besides a ton of games manage both Spanish localizations with no problems

Both things would have a lot of backlash since Pokémon is one of the few games that has a localization in Spain to this level in terms of references, puns and the like. Animal Crossing was praised heavily here because of its localization. I'm sure the best thing would be to have 2 localizations but I can imagine they'll want to save up money and go for a neutral spanish (which is just a weird form of mexican spanish).

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
And... FINALLY!!!

La raja weon! :)

This is a historic moment indeed. My contribution to this may have been no more than a couple of tweets (although I have been complaining since Gen... 6 I think was the first one with Spanish in America? I don't recall if B&W had them), but you really went all out on this and it paid off. Hopefully we don't have to wait all the way to Gen 10, I get it's too late for S&V now, but maybe we can get the LATAM translation for the enhanced Gen 9 games or the inevitable Gen 5 remakes.

Cheers!

Shinichi999

Dec 9, 2021
Considering how you guys had the games in iberian spanish but the anime seemed to be closer to the english script, it's no wonder that a lot of terms might have ended up as a mix of both. Hope you guys get sorted out. Thankfully there's a lot of extensive fan wiki pages nowadays to get a glimpse of how every little thing was handled so far.

And that's actually the problem!! Lot of info from the fan wiki pages (like wikidex) is full of errors!

This is the most professional and accurate translation that could have been done in history. I don't think TPCi will consider it, but the information is there to take a look!

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
And that's actually the problem!! Lot of info from the fan wiki pages (like wikidex) is full of errors!

This is the most professional and accurate translation that could have been done in history. I don't think TPCi will consider it, but the information is there to take a look!
Oh, boy. I'll admit I didn't expect that twist. Let's cross fingers then that they take that research into account.