• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
To think we went from Hillary to Biden. Hillary's plan
  • Every student should have the option to graduate from a public college or university in their state without taking on any student debt. By 2021, families with income up to $125,000 will pay no tuition at in-state four-year public colleges and universities. And from the beginning, every student from a family making $85,000 a year or less will be able to go to an in-state four-year public college or university without paying tuition.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
What? It's popular with young voters, a key demographic for Democrats.
Then that key demographic should deliver primary votes to someone who supports more.

But really it's not that simple:
But while voters under 30 largely agree something should be done about the student loan burden in the U.S.—an estimated 45 million borrowers owe a collective $1.75 trillion—there isn't consensus on exactly what that something is. While 85% of young Americans support some form of government action on student loan debt, just 38% are in favor of forgiving the debts completely.

Unsurprisingly, support breaks down along party lines, with 43% of Democrats in favor of forgiving all federal loan debt compared to 13% of Republicans. That said, 38% of Independents favor cancellation for all, and support for the measure has increased 5 percentage points across the board since Harvard's 2020 poll.

Others prefer a different path: 27% of voters under 30 support the federal government assisting with repayment options, while 21% favor debt cancellation for "those with the most need."

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
  • Every student should have the option to graduate from a public college or university in their state without taking on any student debt. By 2021, families with income up to $125,000 will pay no tuition at in-state four-year public colleges and universities. And from the beginning, every student from a family making $85,000 a year or less will be able to go to an in-state four-year public college or university without paying tuition.
Hillary's plan needs an act of Congress. If Congress passed such a bill, Biden would love to sign it.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Hillary could have done that without a bill going through congress?

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Do you think Hillary could have done that without a bill going through congress?
In a roundabout way, sure. Continuously cancel the debt every x years for people (assuming this can even be done now and because of the memo being redacted, no one has a clue though its probable it can happen?). Anyways, what you're getting at mostly, yes it would need to be a bill. But if Hillary had won who knows what the demographics of congress would be today.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More young people should've voted for Hillary, so they could yell at her instead for not getting something through congress.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's still a far better plan when Biden can just wipe out Student loans
I love how somehow this is just accepted as gospel now.
In a roundabout way, sure. Continuously cancel the debt every x years for people (assuming this can even be done now and because of the memo being redacted, no one has a clue though its probable it can happen?). Anyways, what you're getting at mostly, yes it would need to be a bill. But if Hillary had won who knows what the demographics of congress would be today.
That's obviously completely unworkable.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

Uhh what? We can look at history and take a guess...Republicans would most likely have done well in the midterms of 2018, Hillary wouldnt have gotten a SCOTUS judge thanks to McConnell still
Being majority leader, and no bill would've gotten to her desk just like with Biden.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I love how somehow this is just accepted as gospel now.

That's obviously completely unworkable.
Completely agree. Which is why Biden's 10k plan needs to go farther and address more things which I think is possible he can adjust w/out Congress. Changes to PSLF, for example or the interest rate of student loans. If you can adjust them to 0% now, you can just adjust them to 2% or less later.

Uhh what? We can look at history and take a guess...Republicans would most likely have done well in the midterms of 2018, Hillary wouldnt have gotten a SCOTUS judge thanks to McConnell still
Being majority leader, and no bill would've gotten to her desk just like with Biden.

Fair point.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Completely agree. Which is why Biden's 10k plan needs to go farther and address more things which I think is possible he can adjust w/out Congress. Changes to PSLF, for example or the interest rate of student loans. If you can adjust them to 0% now, you can just adjust them to 2% or less later.
The problem with making any permanent changes via EO is the next Republican can just undo them.

But yeah, of course those would be positive changes if they could be made.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Again...this idea that wiping out students loans is somehow universally popular amongst voters is false and whether you like it or not, politicians actually care about winning elections.

Popularity has jack shit to do with serious issues when Gen X only paid $8,396 in private university in the year I was born compared to $65k that I owe now

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It's still a far better plan when Biden can just wipe out Student loans
I just find it weird comparing a presidential candidate's plan that needs Democrats holding congress and a plan that's to be done through the executive branch alone. These kinds of promises are obviously contingent on what congress looks like. Joe Biden's website still mentions making four-year colleges tuition free for those making under a certain income. But it's extremely hard to get something like that passed when you can't have even one single defector in your party.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Biden has the power to do what with weed? Do share. And yea, he sucks on weed but he didnt run on making it legal..again, want better results? Put more dems in power to offset manchin/sinema/etc. Again, facts matter and Biden at $10k is doing what he ran on. Sorry that you set unrealistic expectations that didn't come to pass.
truthout.org

Biden Promised to Decriminalize Marijuana. He Shouldn’t Wait for Congress.

Biden is under pressure to fulfill a campaign promise to decriminalize marijuana and expunge convictions.

How many Dems were in the senate in 2009-2010? (Hint it was more then 52 which is apparently the magic number now).

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
How many Dems were in the senate in 2009-2010? (Hint it was more then 52 which is apparently the magic number now).

Between 57 and 59 depending on the month. Filibuster reform wasn't even on the radar and no candidates ran on it. 50 votes plus VP or another senator in favor of reform has always been the magic number if that's your goal.

There was been work to change public opinion on the filibuster and the positions of politicians recently, but you can't just map current opinion numbers to historical seats held. The change in opinion is progress.

Edit: and of course in 2009 there were members of the party openly against gay marriage (including Obama) against abortion, etc. If the current set of standards from the left applied to 2009, they wouldn't have been at 57 even.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
One other question concerning the whole "Supreme Court can overturn it" thing…who would file the lawsuit to kickstart that process? I assume that someone who is "harmed" would have to do that, but if these are loans solely handled by the DoE, who challenges it? I guess the term is "standing", but I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me on that, lol
Servicers maybe? Some of them have government contracts that would get severely damaged by this.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even matter. If the SC wants to overturn this, they will consider whoever files to stop this as harmed.
And there are plenty of nutty lower courts to toss the case upward. None of this needs to be logical in any sense of the word nowadays. Right wing hack judges are a dime a dozen now.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
people cheering this on & calling others "babies" are part of why the dems forever do below the minimum

Knew this would happen when they were talking about how he was "agonizing" over this. Like dude roe is fucked, children are getting massacred, covid isn't done, a million other things are fucked, just give your fucking a base a win already.

as a leftist i often wonder if the let's go brandon clowns actually hate biden on nearly the level we do

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
people cheering this on & calling others "babies" are part of why the dems forever do below the minimum

The "minimum" as determined by what and/or who, exactly?

Polling?

Precedent?

Ability?

I hate to give the impression that I'm trivializing the conversation by drilling down so much, but so often these conversations require a drilling down. Because people just love to toss out words and unsubstantiated conditions.

Which then leads to my next question: what is the motive for constantly portraying "cheering this on" and "wanting more" as fundamentally incompatible?

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Popularity has jack shit to do with serious issues when Gen X only paid $8,396 in private university in the year I was born compared to $65k that I owe now

Popularity has everything to do with what government ideally does in a democracy. Our job is to convince people that people who are suffering deserve more so that these views become popular. Wishing for the government to do something that isn't popular is wishing for autocracy.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
The "minimum" as determined by what and/or who, exactly?

Polling?

Precedent?

Ability?

hey royalan, how ya been

working class needs for one -
stagnant minimum wage for over a decade
covid money last week said to go to more cops
abortion rights effectively done
no real protection for trans youth
nothing viable on climate change, police reform, ongoing massacres etc
housing crisis, ever expanding wage gap & everything expected of late capitalism/an empire in decline

but if SC justices are uncomfortable or someone questions pelosi/congress right to continue getting stupid rich among these horrors, that takes a priority
just absolute shithouse party, top to bottom

Which then leads to my next question: what is the motive for constantly portraying "cheering this on" and "wanting more" as fundamentally incompatible?

i'm speaking specifically to the condescending "baby" comments pages prior, but yes, wanting more is key - biden "agonizing" over this bare minimum can be a (however paltry) material gain while also not be worth me cheering for, personally

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Popularity has everything to do with what government ideally does in a democracy. Our job is to convince people that people who are suffering deserve more so that these views become popular. Wishing for the government to do something that isn't popular is wishing for autocracy.

Fox News is the most popular cable news

All Republicans do is convince voters that any progressive policies will strip their freedom away. The Democratic Party has done nothing to convince that we're the richest country in the world and can have universal healthcare and tuition free college. But no they instead stand with cops, fund the military and support the genocide by Israel

If Democrats really cares about what's popular, they would have codified Roe when Bill Clinton had the majority and established universal healthcare when they pushed for it. But no they instead created NAFTA

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I am. We will have many attempt to claim discrimination because they didn't benefit. With some of the circuit/district/ etc. courts on this country packed with Trump-picked judges, it is reasonable to think something like this would eventually get there.

It doesn't even matter. If the SC wants to overturn this, they will consider whoever files to stop this as harmed.

And there are plenty of nutty lower courts to toss the case upward. None of this needs to be logical in any sense of the word nowadays. Right wing hack judges are a dime a dozen now.

Servicers maybe? Some of them have government contracts that would get severely damaged by this.

Is there something preventing these same people from filing a case over the past two years that pausing payments for 2 years also causes "harm" and should be immediately resumed? Or the 10k number also causing the same "harm"?

I guess the larger point is that I'm finding it difficult to see why 10k of forgiveness and pausing payments for 2 years and everything else that has been done to help people came to be the perfect approach that's immune to any future lawsuits, but forgiving higher (or all) amounts would immediately trigger lawsuits as soon as the order is signed so there's no point in doing it. That seems like a possible political theory of what would happen (it would be more noticeable in the news cycle if you eliminated all of it, so it's more likely to make conservatives mad!), not a legal analysis (which everyone is admitting that conservatives aren't following any sense of coherent legal analysis anyway if they were to try and overturn it, lol)

I guess I'm just skeptical of the general political approach that playing cute with numbers will somehow "trick" people (and courts, and the entire right wing media sphere and whoever else claims to be harmed by this) into being ok with certain things.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Fox News is the most popular cable news

All Republicans do is convince voters that any progressive policies will strip their freedom away. The Democratic Party has done nothing to convince that we're the richest country in the world and can have universal healthcare and tuition free college. But no they instead stand with cops, fund the military and support the genocide by Israel

Every candidate at every debate in the 2020 primary talked about the importance of getting everyone healthcare and more people a college education and their plans to accomplish it. Yes, like it or not this country loves its "freedom" and hates taxes. Cops are popular with the general population including surveys of BIPOC communities. Do you think there is some magically effective messaging that is being suppressed?

If Democrats really cares about what's popular, they would have codified Roe when Bill Clinton had the majority and established universal healthcare when they pushed for it. But no they instead created NAFTA

Bill Clinton never had a filibuster proof majority or a majority that agreed to reform the filibuster. Bill Clinton's majority included anti-abortion Democrats from states and districts whose voters did not support abortion. Same with support for universal healthcare. Looking backwards to something that isn't the root cause of Roe being overturned doesn't really get us anywhere. Passing a law on Roe is equivalent to passing a law on Medicaid expansion. If a 6-3 court disagrees with congress, they will overturn it.

You cannot use the fact on one hand that Democrats had a majority so they should've passed your specific issues but simultaneously complain that Democrats didn't champion your issues while running for office on the other. Clinton's majority and Obama's majority were bigger tents than the current majority. Those majorities passed things they were able to agree on and provided backstops on less controversial things like supreme court nominees. Joe Manchin would've voted for Merrick Garland and did vote for KBJ even though he is pro-life. It is our job to convince the constituents of those states/districts of the politicians that don't agree with us to side with our views. Denying progress made by our side and expecting politicians to do politically difficult and unpopular things is not a step towards convincing people on issues and getting them to vote.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Is there something preventing these same people from filing a case over the past two years that pausing payments for 2 years also causes "harm" and should be immediately resumed? Or the 10k number also causing the same "harm"?

I guess the larger point is that I'm finding it difficult to see why 10k of forgiveness and pausing payments for 2 years and everything else that has been done to help people came to be the perfect approach that's immune to any future lawsuits, but forgiving higher (or all) amounts would immediately trigger lawsuits as soon as the order is signed so there's no point in doing it. That seems like a possible political theory of what would happen (it would be more noticeable in the news cycle if you eliminated all of it, so it's more likely to make conservatives mad!), not a legal analysis (which everyone is admitting that conservatives aren't following any sense of coherent legal analysis anyway if they were to try and overturn it, lol)

I guess I'm just skeptical of the general political approach that playing cute with numbers will somehow "trick" people (and courts, and the entire right wing media sphere and whoever else claims to be harmed by this) into being ok with certain things.
How could the act of pausing payments be argued as discriminatory when the debt holders never received any financial compensation as a result?

Oct 25, 2017
We just had a thread the other day in how there's a lower college enrollment and statistically, white people who don't seek a higher education vote Republican. Part of the problem has to do with college being unaffordable. Then you see this thread, with the worst take possible of just accepting the 10k loan forgiveness when it doesn't solve anything.

The issue is bureaucrats getting in the way which cost money. Universal programs works much better than means testing. Every country around the world proves that while we rank bottom in everything. It's designed to hurt people

But in this case we are talking about just an income requirement? The ones that require drug tests or job tests I could see why they cost a lot of money to enforce, but income is something the government already has access to. It costs basically just a few dollars to set this up.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
How could the act of pausing payments be argued as discriminatory when the debt holders never received any financial compensation as a result?

"You let them not pay their loan, allowing them 2 years to spend money on other things to benefit them, yet I still have to pay my other debt for my car/doctor/credit card, that counts as financial compensation for them, and this is discriminatory to me" is a common trope in this discussion, wouldn't that be one possible hypothetical irrational conservative's argument?

(Also, I'm sure there's a whole pedantic legal discussion to be had on what is considered "compensation" when it comes to the federal government changing the terms of a loan it has itself created)

I bought the whole point of your view is that conservatives don't need a rational justification for anything (so there's no point to doing 100% forgiveness, as it would be overturned asap regardless of the executive branch's argument), so if that's true, then why would it even matter whether pausing payments is actually "discriminatory" in reality or not right now in your question? They could just invent some discriminatory reason, like they do for all sorts of other things.

Why is it apparently easy to construct some future irrational lawsuit in the case of 100% loan forgiveness (and use that as a reason to not do it), but for any other sort of benefit that conservatives hate that's happening right this minute, all of a sudden the specific legal arguments matter?

Generally speaking, I'm trying to figure out what methodology everyone's using to determine that the executive branch shouldn't do X because "the Supreme Court will overturn it immediately". Seems like the only actual way to find out if the Supreme Court will overturn something…is to just do it, and see the response, and then argue your case in court if you have to (this has historically what's been done with all sorts of other way more despicable federal government actions, so the reticence on this specific topic seems odd to me, personally)

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
"You let them not pay their loan, allowing them 2 years to spend money on other things to benefit them, yet I still have to pay my other debt for my car/doctor/credit card, that counts as financial compensation for them, and this is discriminatory to me" is a common trope in this discussion, wouldn't that be one possible hypothetical irrational conservative's argument?

(Also, I'm sure there's a whole pedantic legal discussion to be had on what is considered "compensation" when it comes to the federal government changing the terms of a loan it has itself created)

I bought the whole point of your view is that conservatives don't need a rational justification for anything (so there's no point to doing 100% forgiveness, as it would be overturned asap regardless of the executive branch's argument), so if that's true, then why would it even matter whether pausing payments is actually "discriminatory" in reality or not right now in your question? They could just invent some discriminatory reason, like they do for all sorts of other things.

Why is it apparently easy to construct some future irrational lawsuit in the case of 100% loan forgiveness (and use that as a reason to not do it), but for any other sort of benefit that conservatives hate that's happening right this minute, all of a sudden the specific legal arguments matter?

Generally speaking, I'm trying to figure out what methodology everyone's using to determine that the executive branch shouldn't do X because "the Supreme Court will overturn it immediately". Seems like the only actual way to find out if the Supreme Court will overturn something…is to just do it, and see the response, and then argue your case in court if you have to (this has historically what's been done with all sorts of other way more despicable federal government actions, so the reticence on this specific topic seems odd to me, personally)

You hit on the point--they would most likely claim discrimination based on whatever they could. The key is that I don't see republicans lifting a finger over $10,000, especially since that move is popular even in their own constituency. Higher amount debt relief plummets in popularity, and they'd probably be much more apt to go after it in court simply to please their own followers.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
You hit on the point--they would most likely claim discrimination based on whatever they could. The key is that I don't see republicans lifting a finger over $10,000, especially since that move is popular even in their own constituency. Higher amount debt relief plummets in popularity, and they'd probably be much more apt to go after it in court simply to please their own followers.

Thanks for the response. I guess this also hits on my larger point that Biden's motivation for the 10k number seems to be purely a political and media play, and not, as many people have argued in this thread and others, "legally all he could do right now". If people actually meant to argue "this is the most I think could be done without triggering a massive conservative backlash", that clears up a lot!

Of course, as one might expect, I'm a bit skeptical that the politics will actually ultimately work out that way (a recent tweet from jamelle bouie is a short summary of my thought on that type of approach), and "conservative backlash" is a permanent state of being not tied to any specific policy number, so limiting your horizon because of that is a waste of wielded power ("surely there won't be conservative backlash to the ACA, it's reasonably moderate and even maintains private insurance!" was probably the thinking in 2009-2010 lol). But I guess we'll see!

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the response. I guess this also hits on my larger point that Biden's motivation for the 10k number seems to be purely a political and media play, and not, as many people have argued in this thread and others, "legally all he could do right now". If people actually meant to argue "this is the most I think could be done without triggering a massive conservative backlash", that clears up a lot!

Of course, as one might expect, I'm a bit skeptical that the politics will actually ultimately work out that way (a recent tweet from jamelle bouie is a short summary of my thought on that type of approach), and "conservative backlash" is a permanent state of being not tied to any specific policy number, so limiting your horizon because of that is a waste of wielded power ("surely there won't be conservative backlash to the ACA, it's reasonably moderate and even maintains private insurance!" was probably the thinking in 2009-2010 lol). But I guess we'll see!
I still think if Biden loses in 2024, he wipes away everything on his way out and dares the republicans to reverse it and deal with the political fallout.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Every candidate at every debate in the 2020 primary talked about the importance of getting everyone healthcare and more people a college education and their plans to accomplish it. Yes, like it or not this country loves its "freedom" and hates taxes. Cops are popular with the general population including surveys of BIPOC communities. Do you think there is some magically effective messaging that is being suppressed?

Bill Clinton never had a filibuster proof majority or a majority that agreed to reform the filibuster. Bill Clinton's majority included anti-abortion Democrats from states and districts whose voters did not support abortion. Same with support for universal healthcare. Looking backwards to something that isn't the root cause of Roe being overturned doesn't really get us anywhere. Passing a law on Roe is equivalent to passing a law on Medicaid expansion. If a 6-3 court disagrees with congress, they will overturn it.

You cannot use the fact on one hand that Democrats had a majority so they should've passed your specific issues but simultaneously complain that Democrats didn't champion your issues while running for office on the other. Clinton's majority and Obama's majority were bigger tents than the current majority. Those majorities passed things they were able to agree on and provided backstops on less controversial things like supreme court nominees. Joe Manchin would've voted for Merrick Garland and did vote for KBJ even though he is pro-life. It is our job to convince the constituents of those states/districts of the politicians that don't agree with us to side with our views. Denying progress made by our side and expecting politicians to do politically difficult and unpopular things is not a step towards convincing people on issues and getting them to vote.

The message is "A few bad apples" after they brutalized black people for civil rights, the 1985 MOVE bombing, assaulting Rodney King, Stop and Frisk, shooting and killing unarmed black people and holding protester against their will in order for them to break curfew. All while blaming the BLM movement for costing the democrats for not getting a majority

If Bill Clinton couldn't codify Roe v Wade, then Obama could have done it but he didn't see it as a priority. And if there's anti-abortion democrats then the US really isn't a democracy that people claim it to be if there's only a 2 party system

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Biden ran on 10k aside from education reformation legislation (which obviously won't happen). The 50k idea came like right around election day or past it by people who aren't Biden.

I'm not going to argue for getting less money, but I'm not a fan of pretending this wasn't the plan when going in.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A simple way of thinking of it is like this.

There is a A% chance that 10k passes judicial review and is forgiven
There is a B% chance that 50k passes judicial review and is forgiven
It is understood that A is substantially greater than B.

There is a C% chance that if 10k fails to pass judicial review the mechanism that they are using for blanket forgiveness will be restricted or lost
There is a D% chance that if 50k fails to pass judicial review the mechanism that they are using for blanket forgiveness will be restricted or lost
It is understood that D is substantially greater than C.

How do you get these percentages? It's just a matter of making educated guesses. That's all we have in a 6-3 world where all established legal logic appears to go out the window on most every case they are hearing.

Yes you are correct that the only way to know is to do it. The problem is that if you try it and get the worst result not only will the debt not be forgiven, it may not be possible to even try again and go for a lower number. So you have to balance the risk with the reward. Is the benefit of the extra forgiveness worth risking any forgiveness? Is the increased risk that it will not be possible to try again if it fails worth the extra benefit if it does pass? Now with a court that is poised to gleefully get rid of roe the risk for this to get shot down seems higher than ever.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The message is "A few bad apples" after they brutalized black people for civil rights, the 1985 MOVE bombing, assaulting Rodney King, Stop and Frisk, shooting and killing unarmed black people and holding protester against their will in order for them to break curfew. All while blaming the BLM movement for costing the democrats for not getting a majority

Injustice towards BIPOC by law enforcement is prevalent in this country. But a year after the intense national political and media spotlight on George Floyd's murder, polling shows people want more police funding and presence, including BIPOC because they see violence in their communities. Politically, what do you want Dems to do if candidates who have pro-cop messages win elections? Eric Adams, a former cop during stop-and-frisk won his ranked choice primary against a field of candidates including several progressives in a D +50 city. Are Dems supposed to just take unpopular positions and lose?

There are many people with opinions opposed to the attitudes here who vote. You can't reward Republicans by sitting out and let them wipe out progress if Dems don't agree with you on every issue.

If Bill Clinton couldn't codify Roe v Wade, then Obama could have done it but he didn't see it as a priority. And if there's anti-abortion democrats then the US really isn't a democracy that people claim it to be if there's only a 2 party system

Obama's congress was more liberal than Clinton's, but at least 2 of the 60 votes he had for a mere 4 months were pro-life senators and this was at a time where no one committed to filibuster reform. He couldn't have gotten a Roe bill done (couldn't even get congress to remove the Hyde amendment from the budget each year) but did get those 2 senators vote for access to healthcare for over 20 million people who otherwise wouldn't have it. Hillary ran on abortion as an issue and warned against Trump pledging to nominate judges who would overturn Roe but she lost.

Yes, the US isn't a functioning democracy as long as rural and suburban populations have disproportionate power. Dems are the only side that is working towards better representation with issues like voting rights, nonpartisan redistricting, and filibuster reform. Like I said, filibuster reform wasn't even on the radar 5 years ago but we now have 40+ senators in favor. Demanding something and treating everyone who doesn't immediately agree with you as an enemy doesn't get us closer to a functioning democracy. The work needs to be done bringing attention to issues, moving the Overton window, and getting more allies onboard with your solutions. It is difficult with the extremism and disinformation being ratcheted up on the other side.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

There is a C% chance that if 10k fails to pass judicial review the mechanism that they are using for blanket forgiveness will be restricted or lost
There is a D% chance that if 50k fails to pass judicial review the mechanism that they are using for blanket forgiveness will be restricted or lost

How do you get these percentages? It's just a matter of making educated guesses. That's all we have in a 6-3 world where all established legal logic appears to go out the window on most every case they are hearing.

Yes you are correct that the only way to know is to do it. The problem is that if you try it and get the worst result not only will the debt not be forgiven, it may not be possible to even try again and go for a lower number. So you have to balance the risk with the reward. Is the benefit of the extra forgiveness worth risking any forgiveness? Is the increased risk that it will not be possible to try again if it fails worth the extra benefit if it does pass? Now with a court that is poised to gleefully get rid of roe the risk for this to get shot down seems higher than ever.

If we are talking the current SCOTUS, the chance that 10k or 50k is overturned is pretty much the same. They'll decide on whether the President can do it all, most likely. This SCOTUS won't worry about the amount.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
If we are talking the current SCOTUS, the chance that 10k or 50k is overturned is pretty much the same. They'll decide on whether the President can do it all, most likely. This SCOTUS won't worry about the amount.

The mechanism to do $10k per borrower without congress hasn't been announced yet? The funding source for different amounts might need to be different which would meaningfully change the legal arguments. I know we're all upset about the Roe leak but the SCOTUS can't just be completely capricious.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
So just piggybacking here, I live in Oklahoma and make just less than that person (43K) with a masters in engineering physics. Very low cost. I drive a very old car so no car payment and I *barely* save anything when I pay on my loans and actively lose money when I contribute to retirement. 90k combined is like, nothing especially if you actually don't want to drive a 97 altima or want to save for a house. It's bad. These professional degrees (teaching, what this person has, social work, etc) lose MASSIVELY when it comes to college.

If I lived anywhere else or had kids, it would legit be over for me.

Also, I imagine with their situation (more in loans than I have by about 30-40k), they pay on the loans and they just increase. PSLF takes FOREVER (10 years) which is a huge scam and Biden said (in addition to so many other things) he'd decrease IBR's percentage you pay each month. He hasn't. 10k won't change their situation (or anyone in PSLF) that much if at all. Payments will stay the same for the remainder of the program. It's part of why I am so critical of "only" 10k now vs a few months back (since someone tried to bring out receipts or whatever). 10k does nothing to address the completely inadequate treatment of people with professional degrees that take on low paying (important) careers. You get everyone being like, "change careers then" and people just leave these jobs in droves like teaching. It sucks. Sorry didn't mean to ramble on, but I definitely sympathize with that poster.

Other world leaders don't need to do it because they didn't create a predatory lending scheme to begin with.
Yeah, I agree that type of loan is just ridiculous and I hate that it exists. For this person I was just curious.

For me, it took a lot of sacrifice, but I did manage to get myself out of the hole by committing to kill the loan from the very beginning. I mentioned in an earlier post, I had around 70K to 80K of debt out of school (and that's after paying off some of it while in school). My starting salary was around theirs (55K) while working and living in Chicago by myself. Fortunately, despite the shitty hours, my career path allowed me a solid salary progression and I managed to get the balance low before I began making a lot better money. At my most frugal, I had annual expenses of around 30K and I lived a safe area (to be fair Chicago is probably the most affordable major city in the US).

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017

If anything, Roe shows that we should've maximized the most amount of abortion rights possible in previous years when Democrats had full control, since sticking with the compromise of "Roe is settled law" and focusing all political efforts on "uh, nominate judges?" just led to a massive erosion of rights in large parts of the country well before this year, and still led to Roe likely being overturned.

I guess this is where we'll have to agree to disagree, since I think trying to quibble over and calculate "chances of getting overturned based on dollar amount" is a fundamentally flawed approach to take on this topic. How is that even a measurable thing to make an "educated guess" about? Is there any data on other loan policies that says "the conservative Supreme Court is ok if you do X, but not X + 1" and can be used to inform this approach? Federalist society conservatives are morally and philosophically against the federal government doing anything like this, no one's fooling them by prematurely tweaking dollar amounts to try and find some "reasonable" number to use beforehand that will avoid the inevitable political fight.

But I guess that gets to a larger point that this type of approach to politics seems like a fundamentally amoral one. If there's no obvious legal barrier preventing someone from forgiving all of it (the current answer seems to be "maybe, maybe not"), a person who finds the idea of student debt immoral would just…get rid of it when they have that power. And for the politics of it, they would make their case for why, and build a case for it, organize people in support of it, flood media with all the possible benefits, and try to bring people to your side. That's one approach to this issue.

The other approach of tweaking numbers to find some "sweet spot" is fundamentally an approach of someone who thinks student debt is basically fine, but it's maybe just a little bit egregious in some cases. This is the approach of Joe Biden, which makes sense, based on his history (especially on this topic, considering he's one of the main people legislatively responsible for the student debt crisis). Fundamentally, I think that's a far more obvious reason for his "incrementalism", and not some sort of clear headed probability calculation.

"Incrementalism" (in the sense of trying to take smaller steps toward an ultimate long term goal) makes sense when you're trying to find a way to build enough power to do something. "Incrementalism" when you already have the power (or at least, a good chance of wielding that power) to do the thing seems kind of nonsensical?

If anything, forgiving all debt is a more rational "incrementalism" goal, since that would put more pressure on the legislature to actually address college costs on a more fundamental level, because that increases the number of potential pissed off borrowers if they just let it get overturned without any legislative response. If the incrementalist goal was actually "eliminate student debt entirely" that seems like a wiser way to wield the legal power you have as president.

Yeah, this seems to be the actual view that matches up with what conservatives actually think of federal actions like this. Like, they didn't hate the ACA because the subsidies were too high, they hate it because their long term, well funded, and well established political project and moral code involves dissolving most of the federal government and kicking everything to individual states. The differences between the design of the ACA or single payer doesn't matter to them, they're all "socialism".

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
We've never had 60 votes for Roe

60 votes are not legally required to pass legislation in the senate. The filibuster is not part of the constitution, it's essentially a senate tradition (one that can be overturned with 50 votes…by the senate, hence all the desire now to find people who support ending the filibuster and why there are all sorts of arbitrary carve outs where the filibuster is ignored anyway).

So if there are 50+ democrats in the senate, but abortion rights aren't expanded, that's a result of a specific political choice by those Democrats and their party structure throughout history to deprioritize passing abortion rights with 50 votes, and prioritize senate traditions and norms instead. It is not some intractable legal barrier.

(If we're gonna keep using the lack of 60 votes in these discussions as evidence why something couldn't be done, we should properly contextualize what 60 votes actually means, rather than treating it like it's some permanent law of physics.)

edit: and of course, if there's no party ideology being enforced (because it's a "big tent" and "we can't enforce purity tests"), then even 60 votes may not be enough. If one consistently gives money to and endorses 12 Manchins (like the Democratic Party did for OG Manchin), there would be "60+" Democratic votes, and still no closer to abortion rights. So then we'd have to vote even more to get 65 votes. Or 70. No one actually knows what the proper amount of Democrats are needed to pass legislation on any given issue, since the requirements to be a Democratic politician in good standing have little to do with any sort of ideological views.

Last edited:

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
60 votes are not legally required to pass legislation in the senate. The filibuster is not part of the constitution, it's essentially a senate tradition (one that can be overturned with 50 votes…by the senate, hence all the desire now to find people who support ending the filibuster and why there are all sorts of arbitrary carve outs where the filibuster is ignored anyway).
There's never been 50 votes to kill the filibuster in totality or for Roe specifically.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm seeing so many complaints on here about a potential 10k payment.

Surely this is better than 0k?

Did people really believe you were going to get your whole debt wiped out? Come on….

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe (I don't think so for the reasons below) but then why bother trying for 50k (an amount that is less popular with voters and more likely to piss off the 2 moderates who we still need to try to convince to pass things) if we think it's just going to fail?
If anything, Roe shows that we should've maximized the most amount of abortion rights possible in previous years when Democrats had full control, since sticking with the compromise of "Roe is settled law" and focusing all political efforts on "uh, nominate judges?" just led to a massive erosion of rights in large parts of the country well before this year, and still led to Roe likely being overturned.

I guess this is where we'll have to agree to disagree, since I think trying to quibble over and calculate "chances of getting overturned based on dollar amount" is a fundamentally flawed approach to take on this topic. How is that even a measurable thing to make an "educated guess" about? Is there any data on other loan policies that says "the conservative Supreme Court is ok if you do X, but not X + 1" and can be used to inform this approach? Federalist society conservatives are morally and philosophically against the federal government doing anything like this, no one's fooling them by prematurely tweaking dollar amounts to try and find some "reasonable" number to use beforehand that will avoid the inevitable political fight.
Ultimately there will be two questions before the court "Is forgiving student debt a form of federal spending?" and "Can the president perform blanket forgiveness at all?" If the judges say it constitutes spending (as a conservative court would be expected to) then the amount of money matters and needs to be accounted for. If the judges say the president can't perform blanket forgiveness (which there is a high likelihood they will) then the amount of money doesn't matter because it was never going to pass anyway.

Why would you waste your shot on a large policy you know will fail when there is a chance a lesser policy might make it through? It just fundamentally doesn't make sense to do that, this isn't about incrementalism, where we know we have the power to implement something but choose not to, it's just that literally anything is better than nothing at all.