• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I went to college in 2007. Lived on campus for only two years. $2300 each semester for the first year, $3400 each semester for the second year. And those were lower end dorms. Not crazy, but not cheap. I wanted the experience and thought I'd be making $60K-$70K once I graduated.

The economic recession (that we never truly recovered from) was in 2008. I do not feel like my opportunities were as good as they should've been by the time I graduated in 2012. Contracting/temp jobs were a big thing back then. At one point I worked in health insurance and saw young people get hired and fired like nothing.

A lot of us will admit that maybe we shouldn't have gone to college right away, or shouldn't have taken on additional costs. It's all hindsight bias. We're told to own a situation that wasn't 100% in our control.

I've been paying my loans for over a decade. A lot of them are private, so I'm stuck with them no matter what. I'll own it, but I'll also recognize why some people just want some relief. If all college grads were making $100K then there'd be no call for student debt cancellation.

There are job postings out there that require a bachelor's and/or master's degree and pay less than $20 per hour. It's ridiculous, especially when the costs of goods and housing are only going up. People may have signed up for the education but they didn't sign up for an economic shellacking.

Owning the crisis that the United States is in has to come from both sides. Whether 10k or 50k, the problem would still be present for the next generation. I think 50k would have been amazing but beggars can't be choosers.

There's a fine balance between my wife working her way through school for 6 years and graduating with a masters debt free and a student who partied their way through school majoring in a liberal arts degree that put them 100k in the hole. Completely forgiving the latter would be unfair for my wife.

Schools have to get cheaper for one thing and more information has to be given to prospective students. Heck, we need to be open to trade schools too.

I don't agree school should be free. If it was free, no student would have skin in the game and slackers would have no reason to take it seriously.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Monetary policy needs to be aligned with fiscal policy in order to be effective in combatting inflation.The timing is not right and the WH knows it, thus giving the bare minimum in order for political gain.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with this. Forgiving all student debts is super regressive. Capping the amount keeps it progressive and helps lower income people more, from the stats I've seen. I do think you can go higher than 10k though. I think 30k would be a sweet spot. See this discussion:

archive.ph

Who Gains Most From Canceling Student Loans? - Bloomberg

archived 27 Nov 2020 19:32:48 UTC

Michael R. Strain:
Canceling student debt is a terrible idea. Over half of student debt is held by graduate-degree holders, while only 14% of adults hold graduate degrees. One in every five dollars of education debt is held by the 3% of adults with professional or doctoral degrees. I would be shocked if forgiving the student loans of high-income, highly-educated professionals resulted in any measurable increase in entrepreneurship, dynamism or economic growth.

Even if it did, it would still be a bad and bizarre use of taxpayers' dollars. Americans hold about $1.6 trillion in student debt, and forgiving balances of up to $50,000 has been estimated to cost around $1 trillion. I can think of several dozen uses of the marginal tax dollar — and the marginal $1 trillion — that would be better for the economy and for society than giving a grant to surgeons and lawyers.

Noah Smith:
First of all, based on the proposal for Biden to cancel up to $50,000 per person in student debt, you don't have to worry about high earners getting hundreds of thousands of dollars forgiven. Most of the $1 trillion won't go to doctors and lawyers.

Meanwhile, the majority of student borrowers are lower-income Americans, some of whom completed college, some of whom dropped out (possibly because of the cost). This only stands to reason; talented people who come from modest economic backgrounds don't have parents who can pay their way, so they have to borrow in order to get an education and better themselves. These are exactly the sort of talented people with scarce resources that have the greatest unfulfilled economic potential.

Michael R. Strain:
Our system of education finance does need updating, and we are in complete agreement on the need to advance economic opportunity to more low-income young people. But it takes a wide leap to get from there to canceling student debt, which would only benefit people who already have an education.

Limiting the grant to $50,000 does little to assuage my concern. While, as you say, a majority of borrowers may be low-income, the majority of student debt is held by high-income professionals with graduate degrees.

Noah Smith:
When student debt relief per person is capped, it doesn't really matter that the majority of loan dollars are held by high-income professionals. Each of them can only get relief up to the cap. That means most of the overall loan forgiveness will be spread out evenly among borrowers, most of whom have only modest income. If you're still worried that a $50,000 cap is too high, lower it to $30,000. In any case, haggling over this limit, when so many low-income Americans are being held back by their student loans, smacks of being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

You also raise the issue of fairness, which is definitely going to be politically important. People who already paid off their loans might feel cheated if those who delay repayment get their debt forgiven. The solution is to offer rebates to people who paid off their loans early. That way, those people still get rewarded after the fact.

Ultimately, concerns over regressivity and fairness seem like only minor hurdles to me. They're easily fixed with small tweaks to the loan forgiveness policy.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

Really do wanna stress this. I'm glad Biden is doing this. Cancelling student debt is just all around a good thing.

I really hope he doesn't means test it.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely happy for people this will help. It won't personally put a dent in my debt, but good for everyone else.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
This would definitely clear out my significant others' debts so I'm all for it, but it could definitely be a bit more for those that need it. Some of these debts are insane.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
This is something. I mean, I don't want to sound ungrateful. It will help. But, not for long. If nothing is done about interest rates then I will be in the same boat again soon enough.

Im currently at around 29k. I started out at around 20k. No degree to show. I was the first of my family to go to college. Son of Mexican immigrants. I had no clue what I was signing up for. I was graduating highschool and all my counselors and teachers and everyone pretty much pressures you telling you to begin applying for the next step. All I kept hearing was you "should go to college" "that's what you do" They helped me set up my financial aid account and off I went. Setting up for loans at the age of 18, thinking "this is fine, this is what you do as a highschool graduating American". Well 3 years into University, I get word from my mom that my father will not be in the picture now. He has left and fired from his job. Any help I was receiving is gone. And my mother also can't afford the house on her own. So I'm forced to move back home, work, and drop out.

Within a couple of months I try working less hours and sign back up for school. I do about one semester when all of a sudden student loan bills start coming through. I guess something went wrong and it didn't register with whoever was in charge of my student loans that I went back to school. So now I can't afford tuition while paying back student loans and helping my mom. So I completely drop out and get set up on an "income based repayment plan". Throughout the years of payments, my total has only gone up. Again from around 20k to 29k.

So as nice as 10k sounds and it is nice. And I am happy for those that it will help to nearly eliminate all the debt. I can't help but wish there was a little more. And I really hope that something is done about the interest. Which really fucked me throughout the years.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
This administration is so stupid. 10k is not enough - it should be 100% - plus it will not get you a political win.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Department of Education should change how the loan programs work. They should immediately implement regulations on Education Costs for Schools to Qualify for Loan access in the first place. Drive the cost of Education down if Schools want access to that Government education dollars in the form of student loans.

End the Interest Charge on Loans. You are funding your countries future. You don't need to profit off of it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question - do you have any links to studies/data on the sources of the current inflation? Genuinely curious how much of it is fiscal policy vs monetary policy vs supply chain issues vs price gouging.

You seem to be putting most of the blame on fiscal policy (the various stimulus packages from COVID).

Realistically I think it must be a mix of factors - the stimulus stuff would have some effect, as well as the Fed being slow to raise interest rates, but I feel like you aren't attributing enough to the other factors. Mainly major, persistent supply issues, price gouging, and more recently the Ukraine/Russian War. I doubt COVID fiscal policy is driving inflation more than those other factors, but I haven't actually seen any studies.

It's 100% definitely a mix of factors, demand side (stimulus, increased savings, wages) and supply side (pent up demand, transient issues, supply chain, international sporadic shutdowns, corporate price increases to make up for prior year losses like in oil and gas, Russia invading Ukraine). There's no single cause of 9ish% inflation. In that particular post I emphasized demand side more so than supply, but I genuinely believe it's a confluence of circumstances and back about 4 pages ago I took more time to go into more depth.

Politically, though, it's clear that the 'blame' is on demand side. Even in progressive/liberal communities like this one, people really feeling the pain of inflation blame the Biden Administration. Nebulous issues like supply chain, shutdowns in China, overloaded ports, poor infrastructure because of 40 years of bipartisan neglect, those don't really get much play politically. People want someone to blame, and politically they're going to take their pain out on the administration. I don't believe the funny money argument regardless tho, that inflation is just made up or can be magicked away with different economic thinking. That has sticking power in academic circles, podcasts, reddit, and mmt YouTube channels, but tough convincing your supermarket to lower the price of milk based on the latest breadtube argument, so it might all be hypothetical moving money, but the pain and political cost is real.

And to be sure I still support the policy decisions that led to increased demand, but I'm against the naivete that dismisses inflation as not real, solely transient, or simply corporate greed/price gouging. Overall I think the pain of an overheated economy is less than the pain of a recession. But politically, it seems like inflation has a bigger impact than recessions. This is really the first period of sustained high inflation in most of our lives, coming near 35-40 years, and so we're seeing how high inflation plays politically, which might be more severe than a recession.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about Means testing. It hasn't helped the low income household and the homeless.

I watched the video and the problem seems to the type of means testing itself, not the concept. A lot of those welfare policies seem poorly set up: if you go from receiving full benefits to no benefits just because you crossed the income threshold then yeah, the problem is the type of means testing, not the concept itself. The benefits should taper off.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Of course $10K is better than nothing, so what? We should be pushing for as much as possible. So much of the discourse in this thread is emblematic of what's wrong with this country. Defeated population.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Of course $10K is better than nothing, so what? We should be pushing for as much as possible. So much of the discourse in this thread is emblematic of what's wrong with this country. Defeated population.

Who is stopping the push? Who is defeated? Define who you're talking about. Because we're not wallowing in despair? Because we dare to acknowledge progress we are a defeated population? I reject this outright and completely.

The left (I'm including liberals AND progressives here) have a very big problem celebrating or at the very least positively uplifting any victory we achieve if it's not the exact victory we wanted. If the problem isn't solved in one fell swoop.

Meanwhile, back at the alt-right ranch, they bring out the BBQ grills and celebrate any opportunity they get to hurt us at all. And then, gee, we wonder why they stay more engaged.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
10K is alright. I'd take it, but I wish government loans would go to 0% interest. They should be incentivizing education. Loan payback is an uphill battle.

If interest is at 0%, I can see the price of higher education rising because students can borrow more money.

I think it being over 7% is ridiculously high. I wish it could be 0% without punishing future borrowers.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is stopping the push? Who is defeated? Define who you're talking about. Because we're not wallowing in despair? Because we dare to acknowledge progress we are a defeated population? I reject this outright and completely.

The left (I'm including liberals AND progressives here) have a very big problem celebrating or at the very least positively uplifting any victory we achieve if it's not the exact victory we wanted. If the problem isn't solved in one fell swoop.

Meanwhile, back at the alt-right ranch, they bring out the BBQ grills and celebrate any opportunity they get to hurt us at all. And then, gee, we wonder why they stay more engaged.

And I'm pretty sure research backs your point. Easier to give up & feel helpless if you feel like you're not making progress.

Thus, it is important to acknowledge progress.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they really need to drop means testing

the GOP are gonna oppose this whether its there or not, and it just screws over people who dont think they qualify, or struggle to prove their eligibility

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If interest is at 0%, I can see the price of higher education rising because students can borrow more money.

I think it being over 7% is ridiculously high. I wish it could be 0% without punishing future borrowers.
The Government has the ability to control who has access to funds via student loans. They could easily implement requirements on reduction of education costs etc. to even be allowed to sniff federal dollars. Of course that is stuff banking lobbie will fight

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
10k is a fine start.

This is coming from someone with 10k still in private loans only, so I won't see any benefit from this. You need to start somewhere, it's tiring to see the posturing but never any action and if they go through with this, it's going to help millions. So fucking do it. Maybe this even kick starts some sort of college tuition reform.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to think nothing Biden does will ever be good enough for a large chunk of people.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Man. There are some entitled-ass people out there. Imagine a stranger on the street walking up to you and saying, "Here's $10k to pay off your students loans and you don't even have to do anything" and then the person getting the free money complains about how it'll barely make a dent. It's worse than the people who managed to pay theirs off that complain about not getting anything.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
That's almost 5% of mine. What joy!

If we're just going to nickle and dime the problem, here's a better idea: Eliminate all interest on federally backed loans, and subtract interest paid on all existing loans from the remaining principle of said loans.

Or reduce the forgiveness periods from 10 years for PSLF and 20 years for others to 6 and 12 years.

Both of these would help a lot more people much more than a flat amount, and would cost very little to implement.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
Man. There are some entitled-ass people out there. Imagine a stranger on the street walking up to you and saying, "Here's $10k to pay off your students loans and you don't even have to do anything" and then the person getting the free money complains about how it'll barely make a dent. It's worse than the people who managed to pay theirs off that complain about not getting anything.

yeah i think people in here are underestimating how bad this looks to the average person politically, esp during a time when inflation is continuing to rise.

to me it doesnt make sense, if the problem is with college financing, you would tie this to a bill to tackle the problem for future generations instead of just doing a straight up waving of debt.

doing this the way it is right now you're not going to get the super leftists as this thread as shown (who are going to find any other reason to not support biden), and you're just going to piss off moderates and give the conservatives way more ammo for the midterms. hes kinda fucked in this scenario.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
yeah i think people in here are underestimating how bad this looks to the average person politically, esp during a time when inflation is continuing to rise.

to me it doesnt make sense, if the problem is with college financing, you would tie this to a bill to tackle the problem for future generations instead of just doing a straight up waving of debt.

doing this the way it is right now you're not going to get the super leftists as this thread as shown (who are going to find any other reason to not support biden), and you're just going to piss off moderates and give the conservatives way more ammo for the midterms. hes kinda fucked in this scenario.
Sinema and/or Manchin won't pass it

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

I think it's important to keep in mind that the "average person" is not thinking about political gamesmanship and "how things look" going into the midterms. This will all boil down to how Biden, Democrats, and further down the line, the politically engaged left choose to champion this. Because what the average person cares about is being convinced of one thing: "are you giving/saving me money?"

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, there's so much you could do with 10k.

On the other hand, if someone offered to give the bank that has my student loans 10k, reducing my loans by a bit but still leaving me unable to ever crawl out of debt... Good for the bank, I guess. Faster than just getting that from me in interest.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cut 10k off the loans. Reduce interest rates to 0. Roll back any incrued interest back to the principle. You can kill the boo hoo it's not fair bullshit rhetoric as student borrowers would still be on the hook, but at least they can actually start moving the needle downard. Future loans would also be at 0%.

The government should not be profiting off it's population being educated, especially when these loans are taken by wide eyed teenagers believing it's all they can do to advance in life (of which I was one) It's not great, but it'd be a start.

On top of that force schools to provide a better degree to job pipeline. If the whole point is for us to get a "better" job, having a network that would otherwise be closed, and the ability to find work quickly would be so much better than, hey, you graduated, good luck. Schools that fail this risk having funding cut.

Offer ways for the government to buy private debt, so it can be brought under control at maybe increasing them a bit, but now with 0% interest.

I'm a couple of years from my debt having doubled. Large corporations get huge bail outs with nearly 0 interest, this should be seen as the same thing. 10k is a farce. My interest alone is double that.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Cut 10k off the loans. Reduce interest rates to 0. Roll back any incrued interest back to the principle. You can kill the boo hoo it's not fair bullshit rhetoric as student borrowers would still be on the hook, but at least they can actually start moving the needle downard. Future loans would also be at 0%.

The government should not be profiting off it's population being educated, especially when these loans are taken by wide eyed teenagers believing it's all they can do to advance in life (of which I was one) It's not great, but it'd be a start.

On top of that force schools to provide a better degree to job pipeline. If the whole point is for us to get a "better" job, having a network that would otherwise be closed, and the ability to find work quickly would be so much better than, hey, you graduated, good luck. Schools that fail this risk having funding cut.

Offer ways for the government to buy private debt, so it can be brought under control at maybe increasing them a bit, but now with 0% interest.

I'm a couple of years from my debt having doubled. Large corporations get huge bail outs with nearly 0 interest, this should be seen as the same thing. 10k is a farce. My interest alone is double that.

Oh GOD can you stop being so ENTITLED?!

/s

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Would this apply to grad school student loan debt? If so that would be a huge help. I'm probably going to have 20,000+ in loans once I'm done.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I am so sick of this argument. Elected officials ignoring what can legitimately help society but instead focus only on what helps them look good to be reelected is a major reason why everything in this country is so fucked politically.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I mean, there's so much you could do with 10k.

On the other hand, if someone offered to give the bank that has my student loans 10k, reducing my loans by a bit but still leaving me unable to ever crawl out of debt... Good for the bank, I guess. Faster than just getting that from me in interest.

If you view debt as endless, didn't the pause in payments equate to handing you money directly? Since the monthly payments you didn't have to make has been money kept in your bank account. They're addressing it both ways.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I am so sick of this argument. Elected officials ignoring what can legitimately help society but instead focus only on what helps them look good to be reelected is a major reason why everything in this country is so fucked politically.

It would be great if the biggest stimulus bill in history and a huge infrastructure bill actually got Democrats re-elected LOL.

Oct 27, 2017
The Department of Education should change how the loan programs work. They should immediately implement regulations on Education Costs for Schools to Qualify for Loan access in the first place. Drive the cost of Education down if Schools want access to that Government education dollars in the form of student loans.

End the Interest Charge on Loans. You are funding your countries future. You don't need to profit off of it.
Without the insane amount of profits reaped from high student loan interest rates, how would baby boomers comfortably live off the indentured servitude of their perpetually indebted, highly credentialed millennial children then?

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

I mean, these are all wonderful ideas, particularly what I put in bold which is, imo, one of THE largest problems facing the US job market (along with the fact that so many of the jobs these days that require degrees have no business requiring degrees, but that's for another thread).

Thing is, these are a bunch of separate ideas, which is how these conversations tend to go to shit. Because we're watching the conversation shift in real time now. It went from forgive student loans, to partially forgive student loans, to cut interest rates...to implement this comprehensive package directly targeting the cost-of-education vs. job market disparity. With the only connective thread being, seemingly, 'pivot to the thing that makes Biden and Dems seem the most flacid, corrupt, and ineffective.'

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Better than nothing, but not by much. Like, don't get me wrong I'm not somebody who says let the Democratic Party die so something better can hopefully, eventually take it's place; but trying to placate frustrated citizens (potential voters) with scraps for quick doses of relief IS NOT a viable long term solution to get people excited to support you. Real freaking change is required, not this…

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017

Bingo. I'd be impressed if this is what is announced. I guess we will see.

Edit: On topic if requiring more from schools... I don't understand why the government can't limit what state institutions can charge as far as tuition. "if you accept x federal funding or student loans, you can't increase tuition by y". But yes bare minimum, make them accountable for job placement.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, these are all wonderful ideas, particularly what I put in bold which is, imo, one of THE largest problems facing the US job market (along with the fact that so many of the jobs these days that require degrees have no business requiring degrees, but that's for another thread).

Thing is, these are a bunch of separate ideas, which is how these conversations tend to go to shit. Because we're watching the conversation shift in real time now. It went from forgive student loans, to partially forgive student loans, to cut interest rates...to implement this comprehensive package directly targeting the cost-of-education vs. job market disparity. With the only connective thread being, seemingly, 'pivot to the thing that makes Biden and Dems seem the most flacid, corrupt, and ineffective.'

To me it's just not an issue that you're going to solve from one direction. You need to retool things top to bottom, and do what you can. But that's much less sexy when trying to win votes.

I should also add that student loan lenders need to be upfront on what is expected of them with this loan, and how it will impact them down the line. I had none of this when signing up. I did have a lot of help on what steps I needed and what forms I needed for FAFSA. That's it.You can argue it was due to my own ignorance, and it really, really was. That's why we need something to better educate would be students on what they are entering in to.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017

Nice ideas.

It's a shame that we live in the US because if enough of us aren't feeding something against our prosperity, then it just can't be done. That's what I feel this whole student loan thing is. It's a great money making thing for a few, but now it is more about spite.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Hopefully it goes through and my wife can use it to reduce payments until it gets cleared after 10 years of working in a hospital. I had less than 10k in loans but paid them off some time ago. Also i think they need to cut interest to 0%. Having 6 or 7 % interest on a school loan turns the government into a loan shark in my view.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017

It's more like everyone is organizing around stopping homelessness by building homes for anyone who needs them and publicly providing them (a very direct and straightforward solution to homelessness), and the stranger is Bill Gates, who goes up to a few homeless people, asks them if they're truly deserving of not being homeless, asks them to fill out some forms proving it, and then gives them $10000 and acts like he made some big sacrifice to "solve homelessness" when he more than likely has the power to do more at no material harm to him, and then when the homeless advocates ask "why is Bill Gates arbitrarily limiting himself to giving a guy $10000 seen as some sort of policy victory for homeless people as a class? What's the actual point of limiting himself to that? Was that actually the best possible solution to this issue?", everyone calls you a doom poster.

Happy for the folks who got the $10000 of course, it's better than nothing. But that's still a badly designed "homeless program"!

It reminds me of that weird idea of using game shows to help people with student debt. Like, it's "better than nothing" if you win a game show to address your student debt but is it actually the best that can be done, or are we arbitrarily limiting the scope because reasons (reasons that are redacted and hidden from the public, conveniently enough)?

Like, why intentionally design a program in a more convoluted fashion, if there's a more straightforward option available (and again, I have seen a lot of speculation, but nothing confirmed for why 10k is perfectly fine and free of any consequence, but higher amounts are apparently guaranteed to be overturned by the courts)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Better than nothing, but not by much. Like, don't get me wrong I'm not somebody who says let the Democratic Party die so something better can hopefully, eventually take it's place; but trying to placate frustrated citizens (potential voters) with scraps for quick doses of relief IS NOT a viable long term solution to get people excited to support you. Real freaking change is required, not this…

Yes by much, by many much

10k forgiveness is not scraps, no President as done it, few world leaders have done it, are doing i