• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe in a lab or on a pop economics youtube channel. But in the real world and the political world, inflation has a terrible cost. Without considering inflation, Biden's economy is the greatest American economy since the immediate aftermath of World War II, and I'd argue better than that economy because there were huge demographics -- black people, gender and sexual minorities, single women, etc -- left out of that prosperity.

But if you polled even this community, comprised mostly of liberals and progressives, few here would think that this is the greatest period of American prosperity ever, and the biggest issue would be inflation. Fewer people are withdrawing from unemployment insurance than any time ever since the program existed, wages rose faster in the last 2 years than at any time in the last 40 years, but what are people -- even progressives and liberals here -- talking about? Price of gas, price of housing, price of food, price of milk, price of manufactured goods, price of cars, price of clothes, etc.

The post-Great Society inflationary period gave us at least 40 years of Reaganism and neoconservatism. Inflation has costs. It might be funny money in one niche school of monetary policy, but in the world where babies have to be fed, rents have to be paid, and politicians are elected in, there is a cost.
Genuine question - do you have any links to studies/data on the sources of the current inflation? Genuinely curious how much of it is fiscal policy vs monetary policy vs supply chain issues vs price gouging.

You seem to be putting most of the blame on fiscal policy (the various stimulus packages from COVID).

Realistically I think it must be a mix of factors - the stimulus stuff would have some effect, as well as the Fed being slow to raise interest rates, but I feel like you aren't attributing enough to the other factors. Mainly major, persistent supply issues, price gouging, and more recently the Ukraine/Russian War. I doubt COVID fiscal policy is driving inflation more than those other factors, but I haven't actually seen any studies.

Right now, I feel like there is soo few options that are viable. My wife who is a nurse practitioner got her Master's Degree and graduated debt free. A daughter of first gen immigrants so they had absolutely no money to help her.

Her first two years were in community college. An extra 2 years at a cheap uni, then a further 2 for a Master's.

All 6 years she worked part time as a CNA or Nurse literally starting out wiping people's shit as a CNA and eventually ascending to Nurse Practitioner earning $120k now. She definitely "lost" her 20's though to working a part time job (and working night shifts) instead of partying to make sure she didn't have any loans.

What I'm trying to say with all this is that it's definitely possible with a few smart choices. A start is going your first two years to community college. My future kids definitely ARE NOT attending uni all 4 years.
Yeah, but isn't it fucked up that the expectation is to spend the prime years of your youth working your ass off every waking hour, and living on a shoestring budget, for a chance at success without being buried in debt most of your life?

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Also republicans think he can do it.
www.romney.senate.gov

Romney, Colleagues Introduce Bill to Stop President Biden from Cancelling Student Loan Debt

Senator Romney led his colleagues in introducing the Student Loan Accountability Act, legislation to prohibit the Biden Administration from cancelling student loan debt at the expense of millions of Americans who chose to not go to college or worked diligently to pay off any student debt.

"Despite bipartisan opposition and dubious legal authority,"

No, they don't.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Senators/house representatives/lawyers saying he can do more obviously lies. Random poster saying Biden can't do it 100% accurate though.

Like I said the Biden admin obviously thinks they can do more otherwise the memo would be released.

Also republicans think he can do it.
www.romney.senate.gov

Romney, Colleagues Introduce Bill to Stop President Biden from Cancelling Student Loan Debt

Senator Romney led his colleagues in introducing the Student Loan Accountability Act, legislation to prohibit the Biden Administration from cancelling student loan debt at the expense of millions of Americans who chose to not go to college or worked diligently to pay off any student debt.

Anything can get thrown out in court especially nowadays, the $10,000 could too. At least trying to do more would show that they care and are actually trying to do something bold and helpful.
And there are lawyers/etc that say he cant do it. It's never been tried so there is no clean consensus.

Thinking 10k isnt "actually trying to help" when it will wipe 33% of peoples debt and and wipe most of it for about another 20%...

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wasn't expecting him to do it, and I'm still not going to believe it until I see the money gone from my loan. It would be a big help for me, but I would also accept him indefinitely pausing payments at this point.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The whitehouse needs to stop talking out of their asses and give something. You can only promise the exact same thing so many different times before peole start tuning you out. If you're going to forgive 10k, then just fucking forgive 10k already.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
And there are lawyers/etc that say he cant do it. It's never been tried so there is no clean consensus.

Thinking 10k isnt "actually trying to help" when it will wipe 33% of peoples debt and and wipe most of it for about another 20%...
10,000 has never been tried either so there is no clean consensus for that either. It's impossible to have a consensus without actually doing something, so this argument is pointless until they actually do it, but ceding ground from the beginning is idiotic.

Any arguments against forgiving all or 50,000 or whatever other amount can be used against 10,000.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, do this and make all student loans interest free. Have them be able to be discharged by bankruptcy.

Maybe not interest free... But something very low. Like 1-2%. No way should federal loans be so goddamned high, that's insane.

And yes, they should be like any other loan. Since higher education is just another business selling you a product at this point it's only fair to be treated like any debt would.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
www.resetera.com

538 - Biden Has Lost Support Across All Groups Of Americans — But Especially Independents And Hispanics News

He needs to start enacting policies he ran on. Like 10k student loan forgiveness, for example.

So you wanted Biden to enact 10k loan forgiveness in the past, and called for him to do this in a thread about his failing poll numbers. Judging from the context of the thread, it's clear this suggestion was made as a way for him to recover support with Americans. Then when he is in the process of enacting the 10k forgiveness that you wanted him to do, you're now saying it's a joke. If something is a 'joke', it would be hard for a 'joke' to recover support with Americans.

What changed?
The realization that 10k just isn't enough of a solution and time. If this is done in conjunction with lowering interest rates, fixing PSLF (he promised many things one of which was lowering the percentage paid each month in IBR), etc, then its better. Time wise, we are now dealing with insane inflation, costs, etc. 10k today just isn't what it was a few months ago.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Do these teenagers not have parents, high school counselors, etc. that they can ask?

Do you mean the literal boomer parents who could work a part time job and pay tuition on their own no sweat? Or who didn't go to college but could still support a family of five with two cars and a house working down at the plant? Or perhaps the next generation who had a harder economy, but are still pushing hard for their kids to attend college because they see no other way and now that they can't support the whole family with house and two cars on one job at the factory, see federal student loans as the answer?

Sure, school counselors might suggest an alternative to university today with the way things are now, depending on the student. But they also beat that college drum. They have kids fill out the FAFSA. Hell, I've seen them argue that student athlete's grades should be doctored so that they can keep playing in order to get a scholarship because that's their only chance to make it in the world. That is, college.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
You'd think they would use harsher words then

If it was so clearly illegal.

They are not words someone thinking it's legal would use. The Democratic argument is that it's unclear and that getting something done is better than trying and getting it reversed.

Do you think Democrats thought lynching was legal in 2021? Is that why they passed an anti-lynching bill in 2022?

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
They are not words someone thinking it's legal would use. The Democratic argument is that it's unclear and that getting something done is better than trying and getting it reversed.

Do you think Democrats thought lynching was legal in 2021? Is that why they passed an anti-lynching bill in 2022?
Just ignore all the quotes about from the senators talking about how unfair and inflationary it would be.
"It makes no sense for the Biden Administration to cancel nearly $2 trillion in student loan debt. This decision would not only be unfair to those who already repaid their loans or decided to pursue alternative education paths, but it would be wildly inflationary at a time of already historic inflation, If it was clearly illegal there is nothing to worry about inflation wise of fairness wise since it would instantly be struck down.
If it was clearly illegal there is nothing to worry about inflation wise or fairness wise since it would instantly be struck down.

The Democratic argument is a lot more nuanced then that. Progressives in general think full cancellation is doable. Some centrists Dems like Schumer think at least 50,000 is doable.

Why the hell is 10,000 the limit where it won't get reversed this is such a dumb argument, why is not 15,000 or 11,000 or 10,001 or 9,995. Why the hell is 10,000 so special other then it was what Biden was eventually forced to promise during the election.

We know the makeup of the supreme court...

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Just ignore all the quotes about from the senators talking about how unfair and inflationary it would be.

If it was clearly illegal there is nothing to worry about inflation wise of fairness wise since it would instantly be struck down.

Do you think this statement on the anti-lynching bill is evidence that Cory Booker believed lynching was legal before its passage? He shouldn't talk about racist violence since people would still be prosecuted without the bill passing?

www.booker.senate.gov

As House Passes Anti-Lynching Act, Booker, Scott Introduce Companion Bill in Senate to Make Lynching a Federal Crime | U.S. Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey

<p ><b><span >Washington D.C. -- </span></b><span >Today, U.S. Senators Cory Booker (D-NJ)<span > </span>and Tim Scott (R-SC)<span > </span>introduced legislation to make lynching a federal crime. Booker and Scott, along with then-Senator Kamala Harris, first launched their effort to make...

The GOP proposal to stop Biden from cancelling loans is a political statement. You are treating it like some legal statement or precedent.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If it was clearly illegal there is nothing to worry about inflation wise or fairness wise since it would instantly be struck down.

The Democratic argument is a lot more nuanced then that. Progressives in general think full cancellation is doable. Some centrists Dems like Schumer think at least 50,000 is doable.

Why the hell is 10,000 the limit where it won't get reversed this is such a dumb argument, why is not 15,000 or 11,000 or 10,001 or 9,995. Why the hell is 10,000 so special other then it was what Biden was eventually forced to promise during the election.

The progressive position relies on a strict literal reading of one sentence in the law which suggests the Secretary has virtually unlimited power to modify debt, obviating the rest of the law which defines their limited power to do so. It's actually a very not-progressive argument (I think textualism and progressivism are incompatible), but I agree that if you are going to declare the power to forgive loans, what difference does it make how much? There isn't a law that says the President can forgive 10k but not 50k or any other value

Last edited:

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017

The argument I have read is that the admin can use discretionary funds already with the DoE (the same way trump was able to build some of the wall). When he gets over a certain amount he would need to get the money from congress.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
www.resetera.com

538 - Biden Has Lost Support Across All Groups Of Americans — But Especially Independents And Hispanics News

He needs to start enacting policies he ran on. Like 10k student loan forgiveness, for example.

So you wanted Biden to enact 10k loan forgiveness in the past, and called for him to do this in a thread about his failing poll numbers. Judging from the context of the thread, it's clear this suggestion was made as a way for him to recover support with Americans. Then when he is in the process of enacting the 10k forgiveness that you wanted him to do, you're now saying it's a joke. If something is a 'joke', it would be hard for a 'joke' to recover support with Americans.

What changed?

Truly amazing.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
10k or 100k. This doesn't fix the issue. College needs to be far cheaper. You wipe everybody's deb today. What about the next flock of would be graduates?

Right, this has been my complaint. Forgiveness now is not a bad thing, but it just means we'll be in the same mess as a country in 5-10 years. Hell, it might be even worse by then if this forgiveness encourages more kids to take out loans on the hope they'll have a once-in-a-lifetime forgiveness.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

What changed?
That's the funny thing about expectations: once you meet them, suddenly they become "the bare minimum." Not just in politics, but in all things in life.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
The argument I have read is that the admin can use discretionary funds already with the DoE (the same way trump was able to build some of the wall). When he gets over a certain amount he would need to get the money from congress.
www.cnbc.com

As Biden administration leans toward $10,000 in student loan forgiveness, advocates push back

Advocates expressed anger and disappointment on Friday in response to news that the Biden administration is leaning toward $10,000 in student loan relief.
Canceling $10,000 per borrower would cost around $321 billion and completely forgive the loans of about one-third of student loan borrowers.
I don't think the DoE has a discretionary budget that big.

And that would make 0 sense though for it to be exactly $10,000, if they only have a set amount of money then it would change based on exactly how many people are getting loans forgiven and then it would be end up being random number like $10,031.56.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to point out that to my knowledge y'all are the only country with actual student debt forgiveness coming up

In Canada a country ten times smaller, our left party, who will never win a federal election, ran on 20k... that's only 2 times less than this for again a country ten times smaller from a party who knows they'll never have to actually do it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Right, this has been my complaint. Forgiveness now is not a bad thing, but it just means we'll be in the same mess as a country in 5-10 years. Hell, it might be even worse by then if this forgiveness encourages more kids to take out loans on the hope they'll have a once-in-a-lifetime forgiveness.

I definitely agree, but I feel like you have to attack this backwards like this if you have any hopes of actually getting the elections you need to address the core problem. It already feels like people are just BEGGING for a reason to not vote, and more importantly for a reason to encourage others not to vote as well. You kind of have to swing it this way first to hold on to as many people as you can. 33% of people having their remaining balances wiped out is effective for sure despite not being 100%.

Maybe just maybe if it happens on top of the current climate we avoid a total wipeout in these midterms and have a stronger shot in 24. Its a long shot but its the best path IMO, so Im on board.

One step at a time.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
That's the funny thing about expectations: once you meet them, suddenly they become "the bare minimum." Not just in politics, but in all things in life.

This isn't true. You can have high expectations and meet those expectations. You can expect something to happen and be happy that it did. You are only disappointed when your expectations were already really low and that low expectation was met. If you had a low expectation of what Biden was actually able to do then it's totally reasonable to be bummed when that minimum was met. Perhaps in the back of your mind you hoped something politically would exceed your expectations for once.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I definitely agree, but I feel like you have to attack this backwards like this if you have any hopes of actually getting the elections you need to address the core problem. It already feels like people are just BEGGING for a reason to not vote, and more importantly for a reason to encourage others not to vote as well. You kind of have to swing it this way first to hold on to as many people as you can. 33% of people having their remaining balances wiped out is effective for sure despite not being 100%.

Maybe just maybe if it happens on top of the current climate we avoid a total wipeout in these midterms and have a stronger shot in 24. Its a long shot but its the best path IMO, so Im on board.

One step at a time.

I'm with you on this. Progress is progress and even "attacking it backwards" as you said is progress.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I gotta get something off my chest.

Is this GREAT? No.

Should it be more? Absolutely.

Is anybody expecting anyone to worship at the Temple of Biden over this? Not that I've seen, and certainly not my ass.

But the people genuinely arguing that "nobody's going to feel this," "this is worthless," etc?

I'm thrown. Honestly.

Because I don't have to look very far at all, at all, to see people who are going to be massively helped by this.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
If Nelnet loans still count as federal why was I unable to qualify for latest payment relief? Tried to get it but I was not in the included list.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take 10k off. That's about half of my remaining student debt. After finishing under grad and grad schools, I had accumulated like 140k+ in student loans. Over the last 20-ish years since that time, I've managed to pay the principal down to about 20k. If you account for both principal and interest paid thus far, I've probably paid out 250k+ in that time frame for my student loans. So, I empathize with everyone having to pay a lot of student loan debt. And I absolutely wouldn't be mad about them wiping out more debt for the younger folks more recently out of school or graduating now.

Oct 27, 2017
I only have like $8k left so that's good for me. If it actually does wipe out 1/3 of all student debt, without needing to deal with passing legislation, then that's great as an initial step. Obviously, the ultimate goal should be free tuition at any public university.

10,000 has never been tried either so there is no clean consensus for that either. It's impossible to have a consensus without actually doing something, so this argument is pointless until they actually do it, but ceding ground from the beginning is idiotic.

Any arguments against forgiving all or 50,000 or whatever other amount can be used against 10,000.
I do wonder if this could be a baby step. Like forgive $10k now, show the positive impacts it has on economic outcomes for both the borrowers and society in
general, then go for larger and larger rounds of debt forgiveness/education reform in the future.

A decade ago we got the ACA and now all the political leaders on the Dem side publicly support either nationalizing the health insurance industry or at least offering a public option.

No idea what to make of this double-helix Gallup poll regarding healthcare though:

news.gallup.com

Healthcare System

What would you say is the most urgent health problem facing this country at the present time? [Open-ended] Do you think it is the responsibility of the federal government to make sure all Americans have health care coverage, or is that not the responsibility of the federal government?

I'm guessing it just means that people liked it a lot when it was theoretical, disliked it when it had a rocky roll-out, and now like it again that they're actually using it and seeing conservatives try to take it away.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I gotta get something off my chest.

Is this GREAT? No.

Should it be more? Absolutely.

Is anybody expecting anyone to worship at the Temple of Biden over this? Not that I've seen, and certainly not my ass.

But the people genuinely arguing that "nobody's going to feel this," "this is worthless," etc?

I'm thrown. Honestly.

Because I don't have to look very far at all, at all, to see people who are going to be massively helped by this.
i dont have student debt, i just have regular ole debt, and i know people who have both debt and student debt

if i could have 10k scrubbed from my debt id be in a much better position than i am today, and the folks i know feel the same

even if it doesnt clear all of someones student debt, there's still a lot of folks where this could make the possibility of finally going debt free seem within reach

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Genuine question - do you have any links to studies/data on the sources of the current inflation? Genuinely curious how much of it is fiscal policy vs monetary policy vs supply chain issues vs price gouging.

You seem to be putting most of the blame on fiscal policy (the various stimulus packages from COVID).

Realistically I think it must be a mix of factors - the stimulus stuff would have some effect, as well as the Fed being slow to raise interest rates, but I feel like you aren't attributing enough to the other factors. Mainly major, persistent supply issues, price gouging, and more recently the Ukraine/Russian War. I doubt COVID fiscal policy is driving inflation more than those other factors, but I haven't actually seen any studies.

Yeah, but isn't it fucked up that the expectation is to spend the prime years of your youth working your ass off every waking hour, and living on a shoestring budget, for a chance at success without being buried in debt most of your life?

It's definitely fucked up. But us immigrants also have to deal with worst shit than "losing" our youth to working. That's why we immigrated in the first place. We have bigger problems we're facing.

I'll admit it's fucked up, but it's a fine line to toe of where a person should work for it as well. It shouldn't be given for free.

My sister had younger friends she warned against staying in dorms considering they were less than 30 minutes from uni.

She warned them that it wasn't worth it with the loans they would take on and they never listened. Now, they're an extra $80k in debt just because they dormed all 4 years. That was something they knowingly took on and now they're having trouble paying for it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Is it? I'm not saying all Democrats in Congress think like that, but the safe seats of people who are worth many millions, sure seems like it. There are a number of Democrats in Congress presently who engage in insider trading.

They're not intentionally throwing elections by forgiving the largest amount of student ever, forgiveness that will lift 33% out of debt entirely and provide a reduction of nearly all to 25% to an additional 42+%

53% or so will be debt free or nearly so and an additional 22% will see reduction ranging from debt cut in half to debt reduced by 25%

It's fine if you want to push for more and continue the fight for relief

It's entirely detached from fucking reality to believe this is an act of intentional self sabotage because they all secretly want to hand over power to the Republicans for tax breaks.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
My sister had younger friends she warned against staying in dorms considering they were less than 30 minutes from uni.

She warned them that it wasn't worth it with the loans they would take on and they never listened. Now, they're an extra $80k in debt just because they dormed all 4 years. That was something they knowingly took on and now they're having trouble paying for it.
I went to college in 2007. Lived on campus for only two years. $2300 each semester for the first year, $3400 each semester for the second year. And those were lower end dorms. Not crazy, but not cheap. I wanted the experience and thought I'd be making $60K-$70K once I graduated.

The economic recession (that we never truly recovered from) was in 2008. I do not feel like my opportunities were as good as they should've been by the time I graduated in 2012. Contracting/temp jobs were a big thing back then. At one point I worked in health insurance and saw young people get hired and fired like nothing.

A lot of us will admit that maybe we shouldn't have gone to college right away, or shouldn't have taken on additional costs. It's all hindsight bias. We're told to own a situation that wasn't 100% in our control.

I've been paying my loans for over a decade. A lot of them are private, so I'm stuck with them no matter what. I'll own it, but I'll also recognize why some people just want some relief. If all college grads were making $100K then there'd be no call for student debt cancellation.

There are job postings out there that require a bachelor's and/or master's degree and pay less than $20 per hour. It's ridiculous, especially when the costs of goods and housing are only going up. People may have signed up for the education but they didn't sign up for an economic shellacking.

Last edited:

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this will help a lot of people, but after having numbers like $50,000 being thrown around I cannot help but feel disappointed...

I'm still gonna owe an ungodly amount... :(