• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Just as supplies of toilet paper are finally getting back to normal, the coronavirus has triggered another shortage of something we typically take for granted: pocket change. Banks around the U.S. are running low on nickels, dimes, quarters and even pennies. And the Federal Reserve, which supplies banks, has been forced to ration scarce supplies.

This year keeps getting weirder.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can take this chance to finally cancel pennies? Such a hassle.

Though I guess some stupid Senator will start a crusade if they do.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they can take this chance to finally cancel pennies? Such a hassle.

Though I guess some stupid Senator will start a crusade if they do.

A fucking men brother. Get rid of the penny. Its worthless. It costs more to produce than its worth and no one even wants them. Everything we buy should end in a 5 or 0.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Guess I should stock up on quarters to do laundry or yell at my landlord to get rid of the coin ops.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Funny.... most banks did not accept coins unless rolled and counted. Just like the flip of a coin, how tides turn

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a whole huge jar of change. Time to tell it on Craigslist for a profit. $1 gets you 75 cents! These deals won't last long!

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen alot of videos on Facebook of people using pennies for eproxy flooring. "Proxy: The clear menese!

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
My friend was just telling me he can't do his laundry because he can't find quarters- anywhere.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Its a real problem for retail business right now. No armored car companies are delivering change, and all banks are begging for change from their customers.

Of course I ran into a guy who swore this change shortage was fake, he's got the inside scoop. "My wife works for a bank, and they are getting all the change they need from people"

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's so strange to me. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've used cash or coins in the past two years.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Its a real problem for retail business right now. No armored car companies are delivering change, and all banks are begging for change from their customers.

Of course I ran into a guy who swore this change shortage was fake, he's got the inside scoop. "My wife works for a bank, and they are getting all the change they need from people"

Yeah dude, the amount of "COIN SHORTAGE IS A HOAX PERPETUATED BY THE ONE WORLD SHADOW GOVERNMENT" conspiracy posts I see on social media these days is uh... dumb as shit.

Damn. We're lucky that our building made laundry free since the beginning of the pandemic.

Oh wow, that's cool at least. The slumlord-owned apartments we live in recently raised ours to $2.50 a load (so $5.00 to wash and dry). You literally have to put two quarters per slot in the little metal push pay thing and all the slots are used, something I have never seen in anything before. One of my friends live in an apartment that has some phone app you can use to pay, which seems like it would be incredibly convenient right now.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep I work at a Grocery Store and it's a pain. We can't fill up our Self Check Outs will rolled coins, we gotta fill it up with individual coins which takes forever. Eventually we may run out of coins and have to just put the change on people's membership card.

My apartment's laundry only takes no change...the card reader doesn't work...and we can't give out quarters. If I didn't live near my parents who let me use their washing machine I'd be fucked

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yep I work at a Grocery Store and it's a pain. We can't fill up our Self Check Outs will rolled coins, we gotta fill it up with individual coins which takes forever. Eventually we may run out of coins and have to just put the change on people's membership card.

My apartment's laundry only takes no change...the card reader doesn't work...and we can't give out quarters. If I didn't live near my parents who let me use their washing machine I'd be fucked
https://www.wcvb.com/article/keeping-the-change-mass-walmart-customer-denied-change-back/33397696

I bumped the thread because my friend mentioned it to me earlier and this was just on the local news, so apparently it's a much larger issue than I thought.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Have had to drive 30 minutes to my parents to do laundry since my apartment's machine only takes quarters, it's been... great.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article hints that less production and stay at home consequences are contributing to the shortage but offers no firm thesis on the main reason. It also suggests hoarding and reverse-hoarding are things (coinstar phenomena)

I'm surprised online shopping hasn't created a surplus tbh but obviously I don't understand. Any numismatist have a better theory?

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017

Seems to be getting better where I'm at. Just this week our bank eased the restrictions on how many rolls we can order. So instead of 10 rolls of each, we can order 16 rolls. So now for a 24 hour business we can get $8 in Penny's instead of $5. Gave us enough to maybe last a few hours longer before we run out.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Damn. We're lucky that our building made laundry free since the beginning of the pandemic.
Our management company did this too, but just sent an email out last week saying they will start collecting change again next week. They technically didn't make it free either, they asked people to add $15 per person per month to their rent, which we felt was reasonable considering it's $4 per wash/dry cycle and we do two per week or so. Really not looking forward to change hunting.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Install Coinstars into all banks
Offer folks something decent but reasonable like 105% of value for all coins brought into the Coinstars as paper cash or deposited checking balance
There you go, problem solved

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
The article hints that less production and stay at home consequences are contributing to the shortage but offers no firm thesis on the main reason. It also suggests hoarding and reverse-hoarding are things (coinstar phenomena)

I'm surprised online shopping hasn't created a surplus tbh but obviously I don't understand. Any numismatist have a better theory?
An article I read on it boiled it down to less coins than usual being circulated due to reduced business, etc.