• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

In the latest update for Sea of Thieves you'll be able to discover the legends among the Sea of Thieves community, earn loads of gold with Gilded Voyages and much more. They've also added an opt-out for crossplay for Xbox users who play with a controller.

Sea Of Thieves' latest free update, Legends Of The Sea, arrives today, bringing with it an in-game easter egg hunt. You won't be hunting for actual eggs though, instead you'll be sent to search for some of those video game easter eggs, and in Sea Of Thieves these take the form of references to the game's most legendary players.
The references tend to be things like notes, paintings, carvings and the like, hidden in plain sight on islands throughout the ocean. You can earn new tattoos and commendations as rewards for finding them.
Umbra is the name of the new adventurer searching for these famous shrines to pirates past, rewarding you for each one you find with tattoos and commendations that have some sort of reference to the pirate or the feat they performed. For example, eating a stupid number of bananas in the technical beta, or being the very first pirate to visit the Ferry of the Damned, are but two of the many wondrous things players have been remembered for.

Oh and they've added a Kameo ship set.
pQlqMfO.png

GTTc6dF.png

nzQ9IIk.png

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kameo ship looks fucking GOOD.

The player immortilization stuff they've been doing has been cool so it's neat they are showcasing it.

I'd love if they released a post detailing each one and the story behind it on their website/forums.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Love the Kameo ship! Viva Pinata or Conker livery next, please! Need some unofficial DKC/64, Diddy Kong Racing and Star Fox Adventures cosmetics too 🤫

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
Now all i need is an opt out of PvP...........come on RARE DO IT

This. I love to play solo. It's meditative going from island to island across the sea...until you encounter a Galleon that will undoubtedly chase you until they sink your measly Sloop. It would be cool to have PVE cannonball types that shot fireworks (or other effects), but guns and cannon fire had no effect on human players or ships.

It is called Sea of Thieves for a reason, I get it, but I personally just enjoy getting a map and going on a voyage without interruption from other players.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the emergent fun I've had in SoT has been due to the PvP elements, or at least the threat of it, but I'd still be down for them changing it up a bit. Sometimes it can get overly annoying.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the emergent fun I've had in SoT has been due to the PvP elements, or at least the threat of it, but I'd still be down for them changing it up a bit. Sometimes it can get overly annoying.
Yep. I've gotten burned by other players. I've also had friendly and funny moments.

It's the unpredictable nature that makes it so fun.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I often times wonder if era members actually play multiplayer games with their friends..

Yes, full crew to boot. We just would like to casually at times sail the seas with only friends sailing in the horizon as well.

I mean shit, i love Death Stranding...........but love it more when there it literally is the walking simulator part....to the point I have a modded save giving me unlimited blood grenades and stamina to just casually journey whenever i feel like it.

I often times wonder if Era members just don't like accessibility options with their friends

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can play solo. That's all I play it as and I play at least once a week. Just sailing around is super calming. I have to run from aggressive ships the odd time, but rarely have trouble getting away.

Can you keep up with the quests? I did play it solo in launch year.. but it was overwhelming and quite scary at times!

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Can you keep up with the quests? I did play it solo in launch year.. but it was overwhelming and quite scary at times!
I don't do a lot of them, but for the most part it's no problem. If you want to take down the fortresses or the big-ass shark...probably not, but the regular 'sail here, get this' or 'sail around and find stuff' ones you can.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Looooooooool, this game.

Was just playing now solo. Went to Reaper's Hideout and saw 3 other small ships crews fighting each other on the island like crazy. Got on board one of the ships in the chaos of the battle, stole an Athena chest and sold it to the Masked Lady on the island. Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! :D

Managed to grab another random chest afterwards. :D They didn't see me, haha.

aIajahi.png

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
One more thing, with this update it is clear that they are building towards something. Reaper's Hideout has gotten new level art, and it appears that a fort of some sort is being constructed.

Perhaps the Masked Lady will become a future boss or something as Jim seems to have gone missing. And she keeps asking for more Reaper chests now. Very strange and suspicious!

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Opt out is a strange thing when I can't imagine the PC player base is THAT big.
No clue what the split is, but it's prevalent enough to be annoying. I don't tend to care about playing against PC players in other games, but the load times for SoT on console make it insanely uneven if you're in a fight/respawning.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
No clue what the split is, but it's prevalent enough to be annoying. I don't tend to care about playing against PC players in other games, but the load times for SoT on console make it insanely uneven if you're in a fight/respawning.

Yeah, when I'm playing with a mixed crew (Xbox and PC) this is the most annoying for my friends too. When we start a new game, we're already looting the island when they are still loading. And during ship battles you'll miss them for half of it once they die.

Wasn't a problem in Arena by the way, due to the set respawn times.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This. I love to play solo. It's meditative going from island to island across the sea...until you encounter a Galleon that will undoubtedly chase you until they sink your measly Sloop. It would be cool to have PVE cannonball types that shot fireworks (or other effects), but guns and cannon fire had no effect on human players or ships.

It is called Sea of Thieves for a reason, I get it, but I personally just enjoy getting a map and going on a voyage without interruption from other players.
Yep. Most of the time other players in this game ruin the experience for me. I am happy to just play solo or coop with no player in sight. I die more than enough that way anyway.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned the opt out is a fantastic addition and PC players are crying about it because they can't just dump on console people anymore.

I had two sessions with play with xbox only and although it was a small sample size it was already notably better.

In my first session I parked at golden sands and was looking up where the legend locations were when a 2 man sloop rolls up and lights me up. I try to drop sails but a cannonball got me in the face. I was sunk but I didn't care much. No loot, just island hopping for the legend stuff. I respawn back on my now sunk ship and jump off to see if I can still get the legend stuff on golden sands. I run into a player. Ah shit now I have to kill them before I can go do the legends. But to my surprise they have mics and are asking to duel me. I said you sunk my ship I can't respawn. They apologized saying they assumed I had loot since I was at the outpost. I told them to let me do the legend stuff and I would fight them. So they follow em as I hit the legend stuff.

They then told me I would fight both of them. Every time I won I can grab a piece of loot off their ship. So I fought, swords only, no food, the first guy as the other person watched. I managed to beat the first guy and got a skeleton captain chest for it. Unfortunately lost to the second guy because he landed a solid lunge attack when I thought I had dodged it. But it was a funny little moment.

Next session I ran into another solo dude doing the legend stuff too. We allianced and helped each other find the stuff. Had a mic as well. We noticed a brig at a fort and I had to get off soon. So I loaded up gunpowder kegs on the tip of my bow and told him I would kamikaze the ship and fight until I die and then log off. He agreed. I managed to actually get the brig with the kegs but I got killed by them soon after. They were also in game chat and it was hilarious hearing them freak out by the attack. "They're coming in for a ram its fi- WAIT THE KEGS SHOOT THE KEGS" "HES IN THE WATER" "GET BACK TO THE SHIP" "BAIL BAIL"

I wish I could have stayed on longer to see the aftermath of that.

It felt like the alpha/beta days. People communicate. No PC tryhards.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
I assume if you sell loot to the Masked Stranger instead of the outpost factions, you get the increased gold but no rep?

Just want to plan out what I should do when playing with friends who aren't Pirate Legend yet

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Man, want to play this so bad, but I can't believe the Xbox One is still $300 this late into its lifespan.
Sign up for the xCloud preview? Maybe not ideal, but if you have a compatible Android phone, a bluetooth controller and the data to spare, that's a "free" way to play (or at least try) Sea of Thieves and many other games right now. No need for Xbox Live Gold like would be required to play on Xbox One. The xCloud preview should expand to iOS and Windows 10 at some point too.

Sea of Thieves even loads faster on xCloud than any console in the Xbox One family, which is meaningful to how playable the game is in scenarios of crisis where you're dying and/or teleporting.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Sign up for the xCloud preview? Maybe not ideal, but if you have a compatible Android phone, a bluetooth controller and the data to spare, that's a "free" way to play (or at least try) Sea of Thieves and many other games right now. No need for Xbox Live Gold like would be required to play on Xbox One. The xCloud preview should expand to iOS and Windows 10 at some point too.

Sea of Thieves even loads faster on xCloud than any console in the Xbox One family, which is meaningful if you die a lot in the game.

Unfortunately I have neither.

Jun 17, 2018
Started playing this last week and the griefing is fucking ridiculous. One guy kept killing 3 of us with a shotgun and pistol combo and we just couldn't get rid of him. It was like he had god mode enabled and was jumping around like a fool. Disabling cross play didn't work for me either.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA