• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Most of those aren't usability. That's functionality. Even if the PS5 UI were visually identical to the PS4, the backend for managing downloads/uploads is completely different. The system shutdown/rest mode issues are related to the firmware's interaction with the PS5 hardware itself and has nothing to do with the visual design of the UI. Closing and opening apps and figuring out which are open could be better represented visually, but the console itself is designed to allow for getting into switching between games much faster than the PS4 could ever manage.

Make something less convenient has nothing to do with usability? Okay.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I have a weird issue. I have a (seemingly) Permanent FFVII remake demo icon to the left of my store. I tried downloading the demo and installing it to see how it looked and now its permanently there and no option to delete it. checked all my storage and I dont have it listed there so no idea whats going on.
I too have this on a game I deleted. Its now left of the store icon, a grey icon

Oct 28, 2017
As is the handwaiving to excuse them, like what you're doing right now. I've had several crashes when I used rest mode, and none since I stopped using it.
I didn't excuse anything. I just said that the issues are exaggerated. I probably should have said that the frequency is exaggerated. I'm not denying that people have problems but I'm also not telling users they should be afraid of their console getting bricked if they use rest mode.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares dude? You have nothing to add to the conversation then.

I didn't excuse anything. I just said that the issues are exaggerated. I probably should have said that the frequency is exaggerated. I'm not denying that people have problems but I'm also not telling users they should be afraid of their console getting bricked if they use rest mode.
I didn't tell anyone to be afraid. I asked a question to find out whether I can safely use a feature of the console, because up until now, I can't.

Skot

Oct 30, 2017
Is it safe to use an external HDD for PS4 games yet? I've got my 2TB drive sat here not being used as i'm scared something bad will happen.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Have used Rest mode twice since launch, haven't had issues (as of yet). But it's good that the notes indicate there's something to each update, this time being the front USB ports. Outside of initial set-up, i've not charged my PS5 controller using the ports. Been charging via my Switch when power is low, however got a USB C to C cable coming so i'll (hopefully) be making use of the USB C port on the front. Only had 2 crashes, but i'm 99% sure it was game related (was playing Maneater). An update came out for it prior to the firmware update, so hopefully it's fixed. Haven't had issues on anything else though.

And have used the ethernet port a couple of times to download big games like Destiny 2, thinking of just taking the plunge and plugging it in. If the console breaks, it breaks. Yes, i'll be disappointed and will have to wait for a repair/replacement/refund. But i've still got my PS4 boxed up, and claimed the PS+ collection so at least there's some games to fall back on.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
An earlier issue I had was the USB cable that came with the console only charged 1 out of 2 controllers. The cable itself worked if I used a power brick and it charged both controllers just fine. I swapped the cable with one of several I have since my phone has been USB-C for years now, and it worked on front port no problem. Randomly last week I decided to test it again (after the first patch) and the accompanied cable now charged both controllers from the front port with no issue. I couldn't make heads or tails of it so said screw it whatever.

In terms of "issues" I've had Miles crash once and only once while swinging through the city. I have played BC games, Miles & Astro.
I've been using Rest mode since Day 2 when ya freaked me out, but said let me take a chance and do it.
LAN cable since about Day 4 because I still had to move around my devices/cables

No external yet which is what I've been battling with, but currently visiting the in-laws so haven't purchased anything (I know we shouldn't be visiting anyone, but happy wife/I get to play when we get back).

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Is it safe to use an external HDD for PS4 games yet? I've got my 2TB drive sat here not being used as i'm scared something bad will happen.
Been using one since day 1 along with rest mode. I haven't transferred anything over from my ps4 so that might be a reason why I'm ok. Had several issues when transferring from ps4 to ps4 pro.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Spiderman MM just crashed on me after updating. The game has never crashed before. I restarted the PS5, hoping that will prevent any future crashes.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
So the front USB port charging problem is fixed? Need to try this out.

I have not had any rest mode shenanigans since last update.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
8CD.gif
That robo is like my uncle at Christmas parties

slimmo.de

Nov 1, 2017
Berlin
Version 20.02-02.26.00

• This system software update improves system performance.
  • An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must say, I didn't think it would be possible to make the PSN store wrose, and yet.....Sony proved me wrong.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
A factory reset formats the entire drive to a known state and wipes everything for real, while "reset to default settings" doesn't. So if you have a lot of data in "Other" even after deleting all game installs, consider a factory reset to recover that space.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Have used Rest mode twice since launch, haven't had issues (as of yet). But it's good that the notes indicate there's something to each update, this time being the front USB ports. Outside of initial set-up, i've not charged my PS5 controller using the ports. Been charging via my Switch when power is low, however got a USB C to C cable coming so i'll (hopefully) be making use of the USB C port on the front. Only had 2 crashes, but i'm 99% sure it was game related (was playing Maneater). An update came out for it prior to the firmware update, so hopefully it's fixed. Haven't had issues on anything else though.

And have used the ethernet port a couple of times to download big games like Destiny 2, thinking of just taking the plunge and plugging it in. If the console breaks, it breaks. Yes, i'll be disappointed and will have to wait for a repair/replacement/refund. But i've still got my PS4 boxed up, and claimed the PS+ collection so at least there's some games to fall back on.

Are these actual issues, or half heard rumors?

From what I can tell, usb hard drives seemed to be the core issues around rest mode (And possibly the Spiderman Remaster, which was game specific).

The ethernet port issues seemed to be about the system transfer utility, not just basic use.

I'm not targeting you specifically, buy it just feels like the fears around this stuff are so vague that we've lost the core of the actual problems people want fixed. Feels like one needs to read pages of threads just to narrow down the real issues.

I've been using rest mode and the ethernet port since launch. I've had 3 crashes, 2 related to Spiderman (Not rest mode related), and one hang at start on Demon's Souls that seems to have resolved itself. (No external usb hard drive for me, but plenty of controller and Switch charging.)

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Version 20.02-02.26.00

• An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

Sounds good. Where did you get this?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares dude? You have nothing to add to the conversation then.

I didn't tell anyone to be afraid. I asked a question to find out whether I can safely use a feature of the console, because up until now, I can't.
Someone who hasn't had any problems with Rest Mode since launch has literally just as much to add to the question of "is rest mode safe to use?" as someone who has had problems. If he only hears from people who have problems, he won't get an accurate answer.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good. Where did you get this?
Five pages ago:

Official changes from Sony site:

How to update system software on a PS5 console

For the best PlayStation experience, make sure your PlayStation®5 console system software is always updated to the latest version.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
Their charging fix seems to work only temporary. For the first time after the update, my DualSense charged in rest mode, now I'm trying it again and nothing is happening. No charging lights on the DualSense. Meh.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Someone who hasn't had any problems with Rest Mode since launch has literally just as much to add to the question of "is rest mode safe to use?" as someone who has had problems. If he only hears from people who have problems, he won't get an accurate answer.
By "he" you mean me right? Because I asked the original question. And as far as that original question of mine goes, people who have never had any problems are irrelevant. In this case, only those who previously had problems with rest mode - their experience after this patch is what's important.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It has no categories. Just what's displayed and the search doesn't bring things up the old search would.
Hmmm... from all videos I have seen showing the store it seems way better to me. But I don't have a PS5 yet and haven't used it myself so I don't know.

But from what I have seen, you have featured sections highlighting certain games that change, and you can go to an All games list with a lot of filters or categoric groupings on that page. And there is a search bar that works like a search bar.... I don't know what more could be asked of a store really.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
By "he" you mean me right? Because I asked the original question. And as far as that original question of mine goes, people who have never had any problems are irrelevant. In this case, only those who previously had problems with rest mode - their experience after this patch is what's important.
My bad, I didn't know that you were the question asker. Though that kind of makes it worse, because your response comes across as very rude to somebody answering your question.

I work in retail. If somebody asks, "is the two year protection plan worth spending money on?" I could find plenty of people that would say "no way" and give their horror stories. But there are also tons of people who love it and are really happy they bought it. If you only heard from the people who disliked it, you'd think it's universally bad.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

In fairness, there are people who aren't using their USB ports, ethernet port, or rest mode right now because they're afraid something terrible is going to happen to their PS5. Understanding whether an issue is widespread or related to some specific setup is valuable. There's a tremendous amount of context missing from these bug reports that would be very useful, and that includes knowing that not everyone is effected (Which particularly sticks in my craw as a software tester).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So I had my t7 ssd plugged in the usb-c in the front, and it would stay off with the ps5 in rest. Now it stays on even in rest. Is that part of the patch?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
My bad, I didn't know that you were the question asker. Though that kind of makes it worse, because your response comes across as very rude to somebody answering your question.

I work in retail. If somebody asks, "is the two year protection plan worth spending money on?" I could find plenty of people that would say "no way" and give their horror stories. But there are also tons of people who love it and are really happy they bought it. If you only heard from the people who disliked it, you'd think it's universally bad.
My dude, I appreciate your thoughtful response, but I respectfully disagree. My goal here has nothing to do with public perception of rest mode and whether or not it is broken or not. All I care about is whether my very real problems with it are fixed. I work in software development, and when we fix a problem, we need good data. I.e. did someone who previously had the problem, after getting the fix, stop experiencing the problem. In this regard, people who never had the problem to begin with have nothing of value to add when it comes to determining whether or not the problem has been fixed.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The inbuilt store in the PS5 is worse?

How?

Yeah there are no categories. Half the time I can't even find the sales that are active. I missed the previous sale because it never popped up in the Featured tab, and you have no way of searching for the sale itself.

Basically less information is displayed, without organization.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think any of these updates will allow the ps5 to see my monitor and get me to 120fps?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What specifically is the usability regression?

Off the top of my head, the lack of the PS Store having a section to get to the sales, the fact that you can't check for update for a game within your Game Library and can only do it from the titles listed in the home screen, and how many more steps it takes to put the system to sleep are three issues of usability that have regressed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Off the top of my head, the lack of the PS Store having a section to get to the sales, the fact that you can't check for update for a game within your Game Library and can only do it from the titles listed in the home screen, and how many more steps it takes to put the system to sleep are three issues of usability that have regressed.
That's fair.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
My dude, I appreciate your thoughtful response, but I respectfully disagree. My goal here has nothing to do with public perception of rest mode and whether or not it is broken or not. All I care about is whether my very real problems with it are fixed. I work in software development, and when we fix a problem, we need good data. I.e. did someone who previously had the problem, after getting the fix, stop experiencing the problem. In this regard, people who never had the problem to begin with have nothing of value to add when it comes to determining whether or not the problem has been fixed.
That's fair. If YOU had problems with Rest Mode on PS5 and are wondering if it's safe for you to go back to it, then I agree that the people without any problems don't add anything.

If, however, you haven't even tried Rest Mode because of the people who've had issues, then I think the people without issues are useful in determining the reach of the problem. If only, say, 5% of people have issues with it, I'd say it's relatively safe to use. Of course, we don't know the percentage, but just saying. It would be unfortunate for you to not take advantage of rest mode just because a small portion of users have problems. But if you yourself had problems with it, then I totally understand waiting.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Run into my first major issue since this update.

If the ps5 is turned on every other input and app on my tv has no audio.

Turn ps5 off and everything's fine

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I've been on rest mode every evening since I bought the PS5, except for one evening where I had planned to turn off a breaker. No issues yet. I did close down MM since there seemed to be an acknowledged issue, I kept it on for the last two days with no issues yet.