• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Oh I noticed last night that I couldn't scrub at all, it just froze the whole app. That explains it. The iOS app seems to make phones run super hot, too.

holy shit THIS is what was happening to me and the wife the last 2 nights. I was like damn babe what are you doing to the remote and freezing the app. Lol

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This is easily the worst of the major apps to use. If they didn't have some of the best content I would get rid of it in a heartbeat.

I believe they are also the last holdout on making autoplay optional.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
classic update bollocks

the xbox youtube app STILL has a bug where audio desyncs from the video the longer they play

you have to pause it and let the video catch-up
Huh, I've never encountered this app, and I watch a lot of channels with 30 - 90 min long videos. I DID have an issue with button prompts working incorrectly for quite a while, but I think that was an Insider build issue.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
This is easily the worst of the major apps to use. If they didn't have some of the best content I would get rid of it in a heartbeat.

I believe they are also the last holdout on making autoplay optional.
If we're including about the updated Apple TV app, then yeah. Once they fix it though Prime Video will be back on the bottom.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I've had problems with HBO Max for months on my 4th gen ATV (try to start a show, hangs on a black screen for a minute, crashes), and I'm not entirely surprised that it'd get worse lol.

Oct 28, 2017
HBO Max app on Android had always been ass for me. Frequently have to close and reopen the app. Biggest annoyance is it only rotates the screen clockwise, there is no auto rotation, so if you flip your phone 180 degrees, nothing happens.

./ryan

Apr 6, 2018
2ffd7bglm3471.png

HBO exec says the Native player is coming back!

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Yeah the HBO max app has been trash from the jump basically on apple tv. Lots of random crashes that require full apple tv reboot.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Not Apple TV, but I was trying to watch the new Conjuring movie on my Roku HBO Max and it kept showing errors and crashing to the home screen. Other movies worked okay though and the Conjuring movie works today. Weird.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not Apple TV, but I was trying to watch the new Conjuring movie on my Roku and it kept showing errors and crashing to the home screen. Other movies worked okay though and the Conjuring movie works today. Weird.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the conjuring movie. They strangely made it seem like a weird courtroom drama with the trailers and that part was barely in the movie.

That said given the warrens were total frauds who most of the subjects of these movies hate, it's honestly kind of weird they keep doing this "true story" angle.

They should kill the warrens and reboot it with other folks.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Been doing a sopranos rewatch so the issue has been very noticeable. And I just got a new Apple TV too so I am itching to put that new remote to good use.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
The new player also doesn't let users rewind or fast-forward 15 seconds by tapping the edges of the Siri Remote trackpad, and there's no support for tapping the trackpad to navigate the timeline while the video is playing.

Very aggravating this weekend. The quick-rewind edge tap is my most used feature.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Weirdly, I've also experienced issues rewinding videos on Apple TV+ on my Apple TV. Same behavior as the HBO Max app. Has this been noticed as well?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also having remote issues in the Youtube TV app. On top of that, the Youtube app on Apple TV still refuses to support 4K HDR at 60 hz even though I have the new Apple TV and a TV that supports HDMI 2.1. Devs are slacking.

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Happy to see they are bringing the native player back. I tried using the app once since the update and the "new" player sucked so bad I haven't bothered since. Did they even test this shit.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly, I've also experienced issues rewinding videos on Apple TV+ on my Apple TV. Same behavior as the HBO Max app. Has this been noticed as well?

I'm also having remote issues in the Youtube TV app. On top of that, the Youtube app on Apple TV still refuses to support 4K HDR at 60 hz even though I have the new Apple TV and a TV that supports HDMI 2.1. Devs are slacking.

I find bringing up the my iPhone's AppleTV remote screen for video controls is much more pleasant than the AppleTV remote itself, overall.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
HBO Max app on Android had always been ass for me. Frequently have to close and reopen the app. Biggest annoyance is it only rotates the screen clockwise, there is no auto rotation, so if you flip your phone 180 degrees, nothing happens.
It's easily the worst android app I've used more than a handful of times. Speaking of rotation, it actually ignores the rotate lock setting lol.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find bringing up the my iPhone's AppleTV remote screen for video controls is much more pleasant than the AppleTV remote itself, overall.
I might agree with that for the old TV remote but the new Siri one is a big improvement. Directional buttons are super useful in several apps.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize HBO Max app was so bad. I thought it was only us Canadians who suffered through the abysmal Crave app and picture quality. good to know we are all suffering together.

best content, worst delivery.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It does support HDR. You just have to manually enable it if you're using the Match Range option with SDR as default.

The video player is shitty though since it's also not native.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It does support HDR. You just have to manually enable it if you're using the Match Range option with SDR as default.
Eh, there's a significant difference between doing it that way and playing the same exact video in the built-in LG Youtube app. The colors are not even close.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I've started to use my Apple TV for all streaming apps. I'll have to remember to keep using Nvidia Shield for HBO

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Strange stuff. The video stats do show it's playing in the BT2020 color space.
I don't get it. I'm in the same display calibration in the Apple TV mode and in the LG app. It simply doesn't look the same, even when I disable the Apple TV'S color balancing (which is set up with an iPhone).

edit: Oh shit, I was mistaken. The picture modes are different! It's pretty close now. I guess I just have to hope for the Youtube app to support format matching.

Last edited:

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I might agree with that for the old TV remote but the new Siri one is a big improvement. Directional buttons are super useful in several apps.

See and we just bought ours a few month ago. Just reading about the new remote. Scroll-wheel is back!

68690d2d7c0d975c2c6e72d1ed9610e5.png

The iPhone remote panel gives you the swipe pad plus discreet labeled virtual buttons for +10sec and -10sec.
Plus when you bring up a text input you can type or Siri right through the phone too.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See and we just bought ours a few month ago. Just reading about the new remote. Scroll-wheel is back!

68690d2d7c0d975c2c6e72d1ed9610e5.png

The iPhone remote panel gives you the swipe pad plus discreet labeled virtual buttons for +10sec and -10sec.
Plus when you bring up a text input you can type or Siri right through the phone too.
Yeah, I use the phone in a pinch, and I always use it for text entry, but I don't really like a pure touchscreen for navigation. The lack of tactile feedback makes it harder to use than a remote with buttons.The new remote has buttons as well as touch navigation so I like it a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
I can absolutely confirm fast forwarding and rewinding is behind broken. Had to step away watching The Conjuring, went to rewind and it was so fucked up it was not even funny. After 15 failed minutes and literally rewinding twice of the end and beginning without wanting to, I gave up and wound up watching at least 15 minutes of what I'd already seen as that was as close as I could get. They need to address and fix this ASAP

edit, I also had the Spanish subs issue and didn't realize it was Max causing it. I checked my main level OS language setting like 5 times. Must have been Max that kicked it in but carried over to Prime, Netflix and Infuse Pro actually

This happened to me last night with Bladerunner 2049. Holy fuck. I stopped watching because I was infuriated.. I just wanted to rewind a few fucking seconds.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, this update has been pissing me off. You can't even rewind/forward without it freezing or forwarding all the way to the end. I'm just not gonna use it until they revert back to the old player

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one! Trying to rewind for some key dialogue in Mare of Easttown proved a near impossibility. Eventually had to give up on some parts.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fix/restoration of native player should be deployed as of a few hours ago?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about picking up the new Apple TV, is it a big upgrade from Android TV? I'm assuming yes because I fucking hate Android TV.