• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It seems that the ever controversial Fallout 76 just can't keep itself out of trouble. The latest patch has added in Fridges and Robot companions, two long requested items for the game.

Unfortunately the only way to acquire these new items is by using 'Atoms' Fallout 76's premium currency, EDIT: removed confusing language that made it seem like atoms had to be purchased.

While atoms are earnable in game, many in the Fallout 76 community have expressed disappointment with the decision by Bethesda with some accusing them of introducing 'Pay to Win' elements to the game.

Edit: The crux of the issue seems to be that it's a renege on a promise Bethesda made previously that the Atomic Shop would only contain cosmetic items that provided no in-game benefits.

A similar controversy popped up a few months back when they introduced Repair and Scrap kits that could be purchased for atoms that allowed players to 'skip' collecting the materials necessary to repair and build items.

NEW UTILITY ITEMS

REFRIGERATOR

Keep the leftovers from your next big meal fresh and ready to eat even longer by tossing them in the fridge. Purchase a Refrigerator in the Atomic Shop, build it in your C.A.M.P., and then assign up to 15 food and drink items from your Stash to prevent them from spoiling 50% longer. Items assigned to a Refrigerator remain in your Stash, and your C.A.M.P. can contain up to 10 Refrigerators at once.

COLLECTRON STATION

Need a helping hand on the homestead? Build a Scavenger Collectron Station in your C.A.M.P. to send a Collectron Bot out in search of Junk or Scrap. The Bot will dutifully roam the nearby area to gather a few assorted items per hour and then place them in the Station for you to pick up. Items it finds take up space in the container, and the Collectron Station can hold up to 10 pounds. Head to the Atomic Shop to pick up a Collectron of your own.

Last edited:

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
So over/under on how many patches it will take for them to drastically decrease the time for food going bad?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Unfortunately the only way to acquire these new items is by using 'Atoms' Fallout 76's premium currency, with no in-game option for acquiring them at this time.

While atoms are earnable in game,

This seems at odds with each other. Am I missing something?

I haven't played the game in months but I think even I have enough Atoms to acquire both if I wanted to. People who do regularly play the game would easily have enough I imagine from doing whatever dailies and weeklies

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately the only way to acquire these new items is by using 'Atoms' Fallout 76's premium currency, with no 'free' in-game option for acquiring them at this time.

While atoms are earnable in game

Y'What?
Either I've made a mistake or this is the sort of nonsense employed by click-baitey Youtubers.

OP
OP
Swiggins

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This seems at odds with each other. Am I missing something?

I haven't played the game in months but I think even I have enough Atoms to acquire both if I wanted to. People who do regularly play the game would easily have enough I imagine from doing whatever dailies and weeklies
I was unsure of how to phrase that but you are correct.

Atoms can be earned by doing daily/weekly challenges within the game but acquiring them is a fairly slow process for most players. Atoms are also purchasable for approximately $1.00 per hundred atoms.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Atoms are not a premium currency.
IIRC, there's no limit to the amount you can earn just by playing.

OP
OP
Swiggins

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

You can earn atoms in-game. This is a non-issue.

I mean, I know you mention that in your OP, but if you can earn the currency in game, why is there outrage?
The crux of the issue seems to be that it's a renege on a promise Bethesda made previously that the Atomic Shop would only contain cosmetic items that provided no in-game benefits.

A similar controversy popped up a few months back when they introduced Repair and Scrap kits that could be purchased for atoms that allowed players to 'skip' collecting the materials necessary to repair and build items.

Oct 25, 2017
The crux of the issue seems to be that it's a renege on a promise Bethesda made previously that the Atomic Shop would only contain cosmetic items that provided no in-game benefits.

This is it, yeah. This post should be added to the OP, as it is the main crux of the issue, that Bethesda is doing something it said it wouldn't. It doesn't matter if it's optional to purchase Atoms, just that what you might purchase or earn Atoms shouldn't exist.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This is it, yeah. This post should be added to the OP, as it is the main crux of the issue, that Bethesda is doing something it said it wouldn't. It doesn't matter if it's optional to purchase Atoms, just that what you might purchase or earn Atoms shouldn't exist.
Agreed. That would be really good information for the OP to help those who aren't entirely familiar with the game's economy.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This game had a cute redemption narrative for a while, but it's clear that Bethesda has turned it into the equivalent of a F2P game at this point. All it's missing is a $0 price tag.

OP
OP
Swiggins

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Why do people want fridges?
Much of the food in game spoils at an astonishing rate. There are perks and a modification for your backpack that can slow the rate at which it spoils but both of those take up perk slots/carry weight respectively.

As of right now most players I know simply don't bother with perishable food, they simply hoard non perishable items like Dog Food or Potato Crisps. Or they take the cannibal perk and simply eat on the go.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I always thought the hunger and thirst meters drained wayyyyy too fast in this game.

Honestly surprised they never adjusted them.