• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
My mom has a poor heart. Recovering from a heart attack. She was sleeping, and this thing fucking BLASTED FULL VOLUME IMMEDIATELY. Just this fucking horn. She was so startled and didn't know what was happening.

I think it was a stupid fucking move honestly.

Give a text first. But gradually go up to a higher volume.
If there were any reasonable complaints, this would be one of them. Hope your moms doin alright.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is pissed over this. She got the original alert twice on her XR and then the cancellation later woke her up. She's an insomniac so if she wakes up it's hard to sleep again.

I think my G7 only vibrated as I have DND turn on after 10PM.

Your Wife missed a nights sleep, on the other hand a Mother is now missing her Daughter for the rest of her life.

People really need some fucking perspective before being ''pissed'' about something than can literally be a matter of life and death for a child.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If their were any reasonable complaints, this would be one of them. Hope your moms doin alright.

She is scared of having her cell phone next to her now. I don't know what to do. I want it near her to call the hospital or me, but its this ticking bomb that can go off at any fucking time.

Her phone is set to have calm tones and to slowly raise the volume for calls and alarms.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not, though. It technically arrives on your phone as a text message, but the sound that accompanies it is the same sound that a mandatory evacuation alert comes with.

And you don't think inconvenience is worth saving kids? The only argument I've seen in this thread that merits any sort of consideration is Mikey Jr.'s about his mother having a poor heart. But everyone else is just complaining about inconvenience.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree the system could be improved, and it can be inconvenient at times, but to publicly complain about it like that when a child is dead? WTF is wrong with people. I think that woman in the OP is a mom, and I guarantee if it's her kid missing she'll be wanting that amber alert put out at any time of the day and as far as possible.

yep

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
And you don't think inconvenience is worth saving kids? The only argument I've seen in this thread that merits any sort of consideration is Mikey Jr.'s about his mother having a poor heart. But everyone else is just complaining about inconvenience.

I've already stated in this thread that it is worth the inconvenience to save kids. I'm just pointing out that you're severely underselling what this alarm sounds like. I would describe it as being on the same level as a smoke alarm going off, except it is actually way more jarring and scary because it has a unique sound. You are jolted awake by the smoke alarm and you know what it is. You are jolted awake by an Amber Alert and all you can think is "oh my god, what is that and where is it coming from."

Also, the specific one that people are complaining about did nothing to save anybody. It was alerting everyone that the kid had been found and that they could stop looking.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
She is scared of having her cell phone next to her now. I don't know what to do. I want it near her to call the hospital or me, but its this ticking bomb that can go off at any fucking time.

Her phone is set to have calm tones and to slowly raise the volume for calls and alarms.
Someone posted earlier in the thread about changing options so that the amber alerts are just a vibration and visual alert I think? Is it possible to change the settings so that doesnt happen again?

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Only time I've ever been annoyed at Amber Alerts was when I'd be in an airport of a city I don't live in and my phone would all the sudden go off. Happened at DFW, and at least one other time. But I'd just acknowledge the alarm and go on my merry way.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
The end to this story was so sad. I was so happy to see kid was found and then the news hit......

Anyway my only complaint about the alert was that it was pretty damn loco. I'm not mad, 100% necessary, but they need to distinguish amber alert from nuclear bomb alert cuz this shit was nuclear bomb level lol.

I think I got it at 10pm, people are such whiners. I did what any normal person would do and noted the info provided in case somehow I come across it.

edit: with that said, maybe there is a different sound for nukes, guess we'll find out some time!!

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
My phone (in US) has an array of options to manage this. I can turn off all alerts except presidential, have it vibrate but no alarm, have it not vibrate, have it override volume or use the current volume, specify which alerts I get etc etc.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disputing the need for the alert, but rather how it's implemented. Since there's only one level of alert in Canada, it's accompanied by a blood-curdling siren that sounds like the world is ending.

Yeah this sound should be reserved for nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon attacks, and/or immediate natural disaster (tsunami where applicable, tornado in direct vicinity, etc).

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The girl was determined to be missing at about 6:30 PM, but the amber alert wasn't sent until after 11:00 PM. It was sent to people more than 500 km away.

And then after midnight when they located her (deceased, unfortunately), they sent another one to everyone, calling off the amber alert. There's no way that kind of message is the same priority, but since the system has no ability to have priority levels, it blares at the same insane volume that the initial alert does.

The morons calling 911 about it are insane, but this system has legit problems. She was found ~425 KM from where I am and I received both the alert and the update calling off the alert.

Is it impossible to travel 425km in 5 hours?

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Amber Alerts and other emergency alerts are absolutely helpful and necessary. Still worth looking into tweaking them, such as having different levels for different emergencies. I've never heard anything like the video lunarworks posted earlier, possibly due to phone settings (I'm on silent almost all the time, so I get crazy vibrations but no siren noises). I could certainly see an alarm like that causing problems for people with weak hearts or other medical issues. The people complaining only because they were woken up but otherwise had no medical issues that could have been complicated by this (and those calling 911 to complain) are jerks. I wish they had found the girl before it was too late. :(

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
You're Wife missed a nights sleep, on the other hand a Mother is now missing her Daughter for the rest of her life.

People really need some fucking perspective before being ''pissed'' about something than can literally be a matter of life and death for a child.

This x1000. There are ZERO grounds for complaints on this one and anyone put into this family's shoes would be expecting this same alert to be sent out regardless of the time.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Whoops, confused my Canadian provinces. Quebec is the shithole.

tenor.gif

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was amusing yesterday during Alita.

I was like "wow, NO ONE turned their phone off before the movie... including me".

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
Late Nate Amber Shows Ontario's Worst Side : complaining on twitter.

Ps: a 11 year-old girl was murdered.

Nov 17, 2017
I get that being woken up by a startling alarm is annoying but like, it's you losing sleep compared to someone losing their child.

I guess going on social media to complain about it reveals how shitty you are to everyone though.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point in the doomsday alarm sound is to get as many people as possible to actually look at the message and see suspect details instead of brushing it off as just another text message and not looking at it until later. The sound is fine.

11PM is like fucking 3AM if you've got a baby.

I've got a 5 month old and basically 8PM is my midnight now.

Bro, I'm sure if it was your 5 month old missing you'd be hoping the alert gets to as many people as possible regardless of time frame. It's a minor inconvenience if anything, and rarely even happens often in the same region throughout the year for that sound at night to be considered a nuisance.

Oct 25, 2017
To those complaining, this is not a new thing. Go and disable them on your phones if you are so inconvenienced.

Can't even check your phone while your driving either.

So you have to be not in a car, around Peel region, at 11PM
Pull over? Or check once you're pulled over? Unless I misunderstand you, that isn't a valid point.

And you don't necessarily have to be in that region. One of the premises behind an amber alert is that the child's whereabouts is unknown and could be very far away depending on how much time has passed.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Bro, I'm sure if it was your 5 month old missing you'd be hoping the alert gets to as many people as possible regardless of time frame. It's a minor inconvenience if anything, and rarely even happens often in the same region for that sound at night to be considered a nuisance.

I'm not saying don't do it.

I'm just responding to someone saying that's not even late. If a massive alarm went off on our phones at 11PM we'd fucking die, but yeah obviously I'd appreciate it if it were my child.

Phones should have more options for these things though for cases where your child is in bed and your phone could wake them up at that particular moment and there's literally no way you could help find someone at that time because you're at home in bed. And for something like what someone else said where their older family member needs soothing sounds on their phone.

Anyway, post was just basically saying "You don't know someone's life. Don't assume 11PM isn't for everyone."

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The whole point in the doomsday alarm sound is to get as many people as possible to actually look at the message and see suspect details instead of brushing it off as just another text message and not looking at it until later. The sound is fine.
This isn't just about annoyance. If they keep using a doomsday klaxon for amber alerts people will become desensitized to it or find a way to disable it, which will be a serious issue in a disaster scenario.