• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Lulu certainly scraped the bottom of the barrel.

2147380-lulu_wakka.jpg

Lulu just liked himbos

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Duncan's apathy was cold in itself, and he was unwilling to ever put Courtney before his self image facade

and then Gwen fell for the facade and he just ran with it because Gwen wouldn't question it

Gwen then becoming repulsed by the real Duncan's inside feelings in TDAS probably says worse for her than for Courtney to me still

But yes actually I probably misworded, Courtney's real abuse was often physical, but Duncan was definitely playing mind games with her by not committing to any persona self improvement however small

What do you mean by the Real Duncan? The nice guy? And I see the last point but Courtney kind of made self-improvement unappealing as she wanted him to do it all at once without starting small and when she told him about it came across as her telling him why he sucks.

Mar 9, 2018
Dexter X Deb. WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?

I don't understand the Digimon 02 ending pairings.

Dislike Usagi X Mamoru. NO CHEMISTRY.

Janet X Jason in the Good Place. Jason is somehow a faker character than Janet.

Carrie x Nicholas Brody. What does she see in him?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Korra and Asami

An ass pull of a pairing. Bolin and metal bender girl felt more built up than that or even bolin and water bender girl. Korra was such a sloppy show.

Aug 7, 2019
What do you mean by the Real Duncan? The nice guy? And I see the last point but Courtney kind of made self-improvement unappealing as she wanted him to do it all at once without starting small and when she told him about it came across as her telling him why he sucks.

Yep, vulnerable Duncan who takes off the false confidence act. The non-poser.

If I remember correctly, Courtney is mostly the reason Duncan makes it to final 3-ish in TDA, he probably could have waited until after the show to repay her for the list of why he sucks before choosing Beth over her. The break-up there should have been unsalvageable. Courtney's self-respect apparently plummets after that, almost pretending it never happened and embracing a fantasy world. In the Australian challenge he even helped season villain Alejandro cruelly manipulate that extremely lost weakest version of Courtney.

The in-universe social media reactions are what gets his ego going about Courtney and Gwen fighting and by the time Courtney has genuinely moved on (a surprising mature turn for Courtney I'll say) he still thinks he's the center of her world and wants her to feel her most broken self.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I think they were already a couple in the first, but Tidus was too naive to figure it out. I wouldn't say it was so jarring, that she scrapped the bottom of the barrel.
I never picked up on this either actually. I did see how they could eventually become a couple and married but I never realized that they might have already been dating.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I never picked up on this either actually. I did see how they could eventually become a couple and married but I never realized that they might have already been dating.
There's a scene in Guodosalam where Tidus asks Lulu if she would ever get with Wakka, and she entertains the question, "Me and Wakka?", like he's too dumb to realise that they've been together forever, and they likely got together after the mourning of Chappu. The reason she's so blunt with Wakka is because they're already been couple for ages. There relationship isn't on display but there are moments where it presents itself, like when he falls in her arms after the blitzball game and she looks very protective.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There's a scene in Guodosalam where Tidus asks Lulu if she would ever get with Wakka, and she entertains the question, "Me and Wakka?", like he's too dumb to realise that they've been together forever, and they likely got together after the mourning of Chappu. The reason she's so blunt with Wakka is because they're already been couple for ages. There relationship isn't on display but there are moments where it presents itself, like when he falls in her arms after the blitzball game and she looks very protective.

But you can romance Lulu in the game can't you? Or at least go down that path, which is extremely weird if she was already in a relationship with Wakka.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah. I think I interpreted a lot of the hints as to them liking each other but they hadn't actually started a relationship yet because of how important their tasks as guardians were, but that makes sense as well.

Jan 10, 2018
  • My Sassy Girl: Should be renamed My Abuse Girl because she's nothing but awful to a guy who really lacks confidence or self-insight.
  • All Adam Sandler movies where every old SNL actor has to have a young trophy wife.
  • Focus with Will Smith and Margot Robbie. Might be one of the worst on-screen chemistries I've ever seen.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Final_Fantasy_8_Opening_Main.jpg

I just replayed this and holy shit I hate them both. It's the must thrown out there love story I've seen, like we missed a chapter or two in their story. Rinoa is a spoiled girl who I want to say emotionally manipulates people by being a trash pile, but its not even that. Shes just an awful person. "I love seifer, op, hes dead? sup Squall" literally the same fucking day. Then "don't you care about me/know how I feel, can't you tell?" No lady, I've known you for what appears to be 3 days and the other one was your boyfriend getting executed for all you know.

Oh now I love her though, because you know... reasons that I have not said or thought in a way that makes sense given that the player is privy to every internal monologue I have.

I hate the love story here so much because its basically non-existent but were supposed to root for them and their connection that has 0 details about it.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Korrasami was a terrible pairing that was forced together specifically for a terrible ending

Nothing about their relationship was organic and Korra clearly hated Asami for being the other girl in her relationship with whats-his-name until out of nowhere they're best friends post-timeskip, completely off camera.
They had zero chemistry, even Bolin had more reason to be with Korra than Asami and they specifically had a plotline based around why that wouldn't work.

She should have either ended up with Bolin's brother whose name escapes me that she was on and off with throughout the whole series and that she actually had chemistry with, or stayed single.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I just replayed this and holy shit I hate them both. It's the must thrown out there love story I've seen, like we missed a chapter or two in their story. Rinoa is a spoiled girl who I want to say emotionally manipulates people by being a trash pile, but its not even that. Shes just an awful person. "I love seifer, op, hes dead? sup Squall" literally the same fucking day. Then "don't you care about me/know how I feel, can't you tell?" No lady, I've known you for what appears to be 3 days and the other one was your boyfriend getting executed for all you know.

Oh now I love her though, because you know... reasons that I have not said or thought in a way that makes sense given that the player is privy to every internal monologue I have.

I hate the love story here so much because its basically non-existent but were supposed to root for them and their connection that has 0 details about it.
I find it hard to associate myself with the characters because they're all so elite and good looking. I like the misfits and outcasts better e.g. FF IX.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yep, vulnerable Duncan who takes off the false confidence act. The non-poser.

If I remember correctly, Courtney is mostly the reason Duncan makes it to final 3-ish in TDA, he probably could have waited until after the show to repay her for the list of why he sucks before choosing Beth over her. The break-up there should have been unsalvageable. Courtney's self-respect apparently plummets after that, almost pretending it never happened and embracing a fantasy world. In the Australian challenge he even helped season villain Alejandro cruelly manipulate that extremely lost weakest version of Courtney.

The in-universe social media reactions are what gets his ego going about Courtney and Gwen fighting and by the time Courtney has genuinely moved on (a surprising mature turn for Courtney I'll say) he still thinks he's the center of her world and wants her to feel her most broken self.

Oh yeah, Duncan did some pretty bad stuff too. That relationship ending was for the best. What do you think of Duncan and Gwen?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Naruto and Hinata.
There was nothing between them until last minute and then bam, married.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Hope and Landon in Legacies

It's not the pairing itself, but rather the amount of time spent on it.

Hope started off as a powerful witch who had a lot of issues due to losing so many people in a short space of time, but that's fallen by the wayside to focus on her relationship. She doesn't even feel like the main character anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's particularly controversial, but I have to go with Harley Quinn and Joker.

Their "relationship," if you can even call it that, is completely one-sided and extremely emotionally abusive. Joker gaslights, mocks, uses and ignores the needs of Harley constantly. Yet I see more people than I'm comfortable with act like it's a "sexy" dynamic, or at least think it makes Harley sexy. Like having someone completely under your thumb and totally revolving around your existence is the "ideal." It's kind of disgusting, if I'm being honest.

Yes, I know there are arcs where Quinn finally gets away from him and becomes strong and independent. But I'm talking more about a common reaction to the original fucked-up dynamic, moreso than its existence/if it gets resolved.

I hope that rambling made sense.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

They are teens, Squall just basically fell for the first person who got him out of his shell.

And she uhh. Well. She's a teenager too.

Anyway Eyes On Me is the best song of the late 90's.

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm in the minority here but I hate Fry and Leela.

Leela never seemed interested, and even when they finally "got together" she spent the whole time questioning whether or not it was a good thing and if she really liked Fry blah blah blah.

It always felt one-sided and forced.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I've come to really dislike Harley x Poison Ivy. The original Harley and Ivy episode of B:tAS, where they were strutting around in nightshirts and no pants, was titillating when I was a horny teenager, but I've long since outgrown "woo hoo, lesbians!" and never really thought they made a good romantic pairing. Really disappointed that the Harley Quinn show went there, especially since Ivy having a steady relationship with a man that she wasn't trying to exploit or kill was the interesting take. Kite Man was skeezy in his first introduction and never stopped being a himbo, but they worked him into being a genuinely nice guy who was devoted to Ivy by the time the show found its footing. I was disappointed that he got the heave-ho to make room for more woo hoo, lesbians action.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The main character and their "childhood friend" in any JRPG or anime. Usually comes off as appealing to the incest crowd without wanting to be too explicit about it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Donna was in a relationship with Kyle Rayner at the time, but the Wonder Woman book wanted her back. They killed Terry and co. off to end the relationship she was in with Kyle and bring her back to the Wonder Woman book. The Green Lantern office had no say in the matter.

(It's practically a textbook example of why superheroes under different editorial offices don't hook up more often.)

Oh I understand why it happened, but nobody, absolutely nobody, cared that he died. People probably cared about the kids. But no outrage from the fanbase that I can remember at all.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I have my pairing preferences but I don't think I hate any? It seems weird, these aren't real people, I feel like I can manage to appreciate a ship even if they're not an entirely healthy fictional couple.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
GIDohc9.jpg

Freaking Starco.

It's not that I don't really like them together, it's more that I hate how the show dropped everything to force them together. Star's personality got butchered to make it happen. Earth and Mewni getting merged made no sense. Such a good show that ended up tripping and falling on its face in the last half of the last season.

I'll say I don't like them together. Star's toxic, immature, and manipulative (intentional or not). Jackie and Marco certainly didn't work. Marco and Heckapoo did, but we don't see all that happened in that weird time world. Star and Tom worked until suddenly it didn't because.....shrug. The show just threw character development and growth out the window to force these two together. I really loved everything about Star vs the Forces of Evil except for Star and Ponyhead. I'm not sure who needs a selfish immature character that doesn't grow as your main character anymore.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But you can romance Lulu in the game can't you? Or at least go down that path, which is extremely weird if she was already in a relationship with Wakka.
I don't think Romance is the right term.

There is a system in the game similar to FFVII. In FFVII certain dialogue options gave you points in a hidden system. That system determined who you went on a date with in the Gold Saucer. The System was stacked in favor of Tifa and Aerith, but it was possible to get Barret, RedXIII and Yuffie.

FFX has a similar system, and it determines who you ride on the Snowmobile around the time you do Shiva's temple. It's possible to ride down this hill with Lulu riding with you and you get a little insight into who she is, but I don't think anywhere in there is there chemisty between Lulu and Tidus. The main story is about the falling in love of Tidus and Yuna, so this other piece is really just a bonding experience.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Cam & Mitch in Modern family- They had barely anything in common, were two totally different types of people and were always mad at one another for something. I never understood why they were together but most of the time was spent being upset at one another.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Cam & Mitch in Modern family- They had barely anything in common, were two totally different types of people and were always mad at one another for something. I never understood why they were together but most of the time was spent being upset at one another.

Sounds like a realistic married couple to me... ;)

bluepolicebox

Oct 27, 2017
I've been rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer so I'll say Buffy and Riley. They had no chemistry and Riley had the charm of a cardboard box.

Though I'll admit it was her least problematic relationship by a lot.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Danny x Jon Snow from GoT. The show went downhill the moment these two met and Jon did his usual "let me show you a cave" pickup move. A couple of meetings and a moment in a cave is all it took lol. Should have left his stupid ass to die beyond the wall and not lose a child over the dumb shit idea him and Tyrion cooked up.