• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even less of a reason to move from KeePass

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Backblaze also announced a price raise. At least they allow the option to extend your sub for a year for the old price.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely cheap, and with how valuable passwords are, $36 a year is still a steal.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I use 1password which is a monthly fee.

I also use Bitwarden which is free and open source. $10 a year for them.

I paid the $10 fee for Bitwarden, and found out it was a waste for me. I couldn't get the crytokey to work properly, and never got the NFC function working.

I should have gone with free service and just use Authy app for 2FA.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Ever since iOS started keeping my passwords for me, these password managers became irrelevant as fuck

It's contextual and works in apps as well

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the free version meets all of my needs. If it didn't, I'd likely switch to hosting my own bitwarden.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ho

How much does it cost?
It cost me $39.99 last May when it released. I'm not sure if it was on a promotion at the time or not.

Ever since iOS started keeping my passwords for me, these password managers became irrelevant as fuck

It's contextual and works in apps as well
But it doesn't work cross platform, which is why I need a 3rd party app. iOS 12 added full native OS integration for 3rd party password managers. Anywhere you can use iOS Keychain, you can now use any provider of your choosing (that has an iOS app and supports the integration). It's great!

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
How's the quality of the Lastpass Firefox extension? I heard it was really bad and saw some reviews about how it made the browser lag and used a lot of resources.

I recently switched from Chrome to Firefox and I've been using Dashlane as I heard it was better than LP, but it has a very poor webapp and I don't want to install the desktop app.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have been using Keepass since 2014 for the price of $0. Any reason for me to be considering these alternatives? I have it working across my computer and phone with no issues.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Only thing I know about is letting you use two factor auth. It used to be required for the mobile apps, but they changed that a long time ago.
I'm able to use two factor no problem on the free tier. You may be limited to what types I guess but I've been using an Authenticator a without any issue.

Really I don't think there are a lot of feature differences between free and premium anymore. That's why in part I ended my paid subscription. There used to be some mobile differences I think.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
LastPass is one of those weird situations where I'd happily pay for it considering how useful it is and how often I use it, but there's not a single Premium feature that I would use. The free service is too comprehensive.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Why not use an open-sourced alternative?
There's plenty out there that work incredibly well on both mobile and PC/Mac: KeePassXC, Macpass to name a couple.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked out Bitwarden, seems like a great alternative. Works better in my phone than LP, sold.

Last edited:

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still surprised how devoted people are to services like this. I've got like 3 passwords that mean anything to me, the rest are just social media and other stuff I don't really care about. (Like resetera, for example. If anyone stole my identity here, I'd just write it off and make a new account. I don't know anyone from real life, so who cares?)

JuanMR2

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still using roboform and have been for close to 15 years.

I use Roboform as well, it's less popular but it's probably been around the longest. Been using it for over 3 years and some of our clients have used it for 8-9 years. There's a free version but I paid for it so I can sync seamlessly across all my devices and wife's devices. The iPhone app on my wife's phone, the browser plugins, desktop app, tablets are work perfect. There's Two factor authentication and other features so for $24 a year it's worth it for my wife and I. It's on sale for $18 right now. If anyone is interested in getting a 6 month extension for signing up let me know, I can PM you a referral link.

I'm still surprised how devoted people are to services like this. I've got like 3 passwords that mean anything to me, the rest are just social media and other stuff I don't really care about. (Like resetera, for example. If anyone stole my identity here, I'd just write it off and make a new account. I don't know anyone from real life, so who cares?)

Someone else made a similar comment and in previous threads this comment comes up. But for me at a certain point it became overwhelming. Do you have multiple credit cards, mortgage , bank , retirement , investment accounts, crypto accounts, phone bill, utility bills, home/car insurance, email accounts tied to the previously mentioned accounts? Do you buy from different websites like Amazon, Newegg, Paypal, Visa Pay...the list goes on and on (I work in IT so I have over 400+ logins which includes work and family.) Each site I use has a different long complex password generated by the password manager in addition to two factor for each site that has it available, it gives me a bit more peace of mind. Can't imagine using the same couple of passwords for 100+ sites.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Free is definitely more than enough and most of the users I guess.

And I'll echo people talking the many passwords one might have. Got about a hundred PW saved up and I only started using LP about a year ago - I'm sure there are quite a few of my PW that haven't yet made the jump.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Still don't understand why people are paying for something that is essentially free.
If I were unable or too lazy to selfhost a solution, I'd rather keep an encrypted Keepass container on Google Drive or Dropbox.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped paying for LastPass Premium when I realised I could use it fully with it's own MFA on the free tier. That's more then good enough for me.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Jesus Christ, I signed up at $12. It auto-renews in a few days, and the price has tripled? That's too much, ya'll.

Guess I'll be looking into the free version, because this seems straight greedy.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I use the free version for a few years now. It works on mobile, unlimited passwords, multifactor... no idea what else I would need honestly.

I used to use KeePass - is there a handy Android app that makes KeePass as functional and convenient as LastPass? Also last time I checked the browser addons for KeePass are not that great either.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
While we're talking about password managers, RememBear is a new one worth looking at. A great choice for people who want something dead simple.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm good for another 10 months. I pay for it because I use a Yubkikey. I've tried switching to other password managers and just find myself coming back to LastPass because it works so well for me.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I don't want to shit on this, but I never really saw the need for it. I have keepass and sync it with my dropbox folder, so all my computers and android phone can access it. Are there any features these passwords managers provide that I am missing out?

marcus

Oct 27, 2017
just use dashlane. create a fake email and refer it. you get dashlane premium for free

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
A shame but ultimately not wrong to do. You'd rather a company make money selling a clear product than be forced to move into the surveillance economy. I know that we expect everything to be free for life these days, but there's a secret cost to all of those free products. For some things the surveillance economy is a fine trade off. Want free GPS? Well, it's going to track you and report back. But for a password keeper that's a massive risk.

I used to have premium when they required premium for mobile, but when that requirement stopped I cancelled and went to normal. I don't use ubikeys or physical keys so indont really have a need yet.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I signed up when it was $12 per year. I may have to look into alternatives. I had no idea they even bumped the price up from that. I don't mind spending a little, but two price hikes that quickly.. meh. Too bad because I really like using LastPass.

The free version only allows six sites? I wonder if I could make that work somehow.

Nah the free version allows unlimited sites best I can tell... I'm tracking over 6000 websites/logins. That person was just making a comment about how many sites they use it for, presumably just 'secure' sites and then use normal unsecure passwords for anything else.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Why not use an open-sourced alternative?
There's plenty out there that work incredibly well on both mobile and PC/Mac: KeePassXC, Macpass to name a couple.

For me the value is having a hosted password repository that the company is dedicated to security with. Managers tied to a single point of failure (or low number) arent worth it for me, and any cloud infrastructure I use to back them up or host them will be less secure than LastPass which takes security way more seriously than any other typical consumer cloud host.

Even if there is a surefire solution, Id rather the 'set it and forget it' mentality for something like my passwords, as opposed to me needing to be diligent staying on top of security changes.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's the quality of the Lastpass Firefox extension? I heard it was really bad and saw some reviews about how it made the browser lag and used a lot of resources.

I recently switched from Chrome to Firefox and I've been using Dashlane as I heard it was better than LP, but it has a very poor webapp and I don't want to install the desktop app.

Its pretty crap. One reason I switched to Bitwarden when I recently ditched Chrome for Firefox.