• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remind me again why anyone is using premium? I used to use premium so I could use it on my iPhone, but they made that free so I'm just a regular LP user.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't want to sound like an ass, but is $3 a month really that much of a deal-breaker when it comes to the security of every password that you own?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I use 1password which is a monthly fee.

I also use Bitwarden which is free and open source. $10 a year for them.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sound like an ass, but is $3 a month really that much of a deal-breaker when it comes to the security of every password that you own?
I don't think it takes $3/mo to store all those things. They have a lot of free users and premium are subsidizing the freeloaders, which, being a freeloader, I have no right to complain.

OP
OP
StrayDog

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Its dear breaker because LP is owned by LogMeIn... you can bet that next year they will hike price again. It's LogMeIn after all

Are there any other alternatives?
I personally use Bitwarden ($10/year) but its on evaluation period for me. It has good features that I like, one of them is TOTP integration (TOTP = google authenticator thing to people understand)

PSA: Did you know ResetEra has TOTP - Two factor Authentication?
https://www.resetera.com/account/security

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use Safe In Cloud, where you only pay for the mobile apps and everything is encrypted and hosted on a cloud service like Dropbox or Amazon Cloud Drive. It's pretty good but may not have all of the functionality of Last Pass or 1password for some folks.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm switching to something else when I get home, I was happy paying the 12 a year, begrudging spent the 24 last year, not paying another 50% price hike

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
That's not too bad. I pay $4 a month for 1Password and it's definitely worth it. That said there are plenty of free options nowadays.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Also friendly reminder to everyone to ensure you:
a) Have 2 step authentication set up on your password vault provider
b) If possible have a secondary method of 2 step authentication, for example don't fuck yourself over having only Google Authenticator app then lose your phone!
c) Definitely print off a back up code as a final fall back.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I used to gladly pay LastPass $12/year but they ended up making everything I wanted free. So I guess I'll just keep on using the free tier.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I've moved to KeepassXC and Syncthing. It's not a great solution for the phone but it works perfectly on my computers. I've been using it for a month+ now and I think I'm about ready to delete my lastpass account.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I signed up when it was $12 per year. I may have to look into alternatives. I had no idea they even bumped the price up from that. I don't mind spending a little, but two price hikes that quickly.. meh. Too bad because I really like using LastPass.

The free version only allows six sites? I wonder if I could make that work somehow.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have 5 different passwords I manage by hand shrugs. Never had any issues and none of them showed up in one of the pwned databases yet

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I signed up when it was $12 per year. I may have to look into alternatives. I had no idea they even bumped the price up from that. I don't mind spending a little, but two price hikes that quickly.. meh. Too bad because I really like using LastPass.

The free version only allows six sites? I wonder if I could make that work somehow.
I don't think there are any limits on the number of passwords you can save in the free version. I'm at around 500 right now.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure the free version allows for more than 6 sites.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there are any limits on the number of passwords you can save in the free version. I'm at around 500 right now.

Do you know what the difference is between free and premium? If I remember, I signed up when there wasn't a free version and it was $12 per year. I'm not sure why I should keep paying, unless I use features that exist in premium. I wish their website compared the free tier with the other tiers.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know what the difference is between free and premium? If I remember, I signed up when there wasn't a free version and it was $12 per year. I'm not sure why I should keep paying, unless I use features that exist in premium. I wish their website compared the free tier with the other tiers.
Only thing I know about is letting you use two factor auth. It used to be required for the mobile apps, but they changed that a long time ago.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Only thing I know about is letting you use two factor auth. It used to be required for the mobile apps, but they changed that a long time ago.

Thanks for the info. I removed my auto-payment for the update, so I guess that saves me some money. I didn't even know they had a free version.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Is Dashlane worth it? Because it's even more expensive for a year than last pass ($60 for a year).

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A standalone license for 1Password can still be bought, but you have to contact customer service to do it.