• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017

Another great episode from Last Week Tonight. They organize a lot of reports over the past few years into this 20 mins video.

Edit: He once again points out that whataboutism and reductive xenophobic us vs them stereotype against the criticism is not legit and that human rights are non-negotiable.

Edit2: Please do not focus on whataboutism that only mentioned for a bit in the video, but the whole Uighur situation and how big companies like Nike and VW respond to accusations of using forced labor in their factories. Drive-by "fuck CCP" doesn't help the situation at all and undermine the pain of Uighurs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's hard to watch that reunion clip without crying. I just cannot imagine being a contributor to this in some way. It's so frustrating.

This was a long time coming

I believe he covered it in June of 2018 as well, it wasn't just the main focus of the episode, which was about Xi Jingping.

Kongo B

Sep 8, 2019
Europe
Man, John Oliver really is doing god's work. Every episode is a must watch for me, and this one in particular I've been waiting for for a while.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
in before any whataboutism posters:
It's not about whether you are *technically* right, it's about keeping the discussion on topic and not diluting the severity.
Example: country X does bad thing: discuss -> yeah but country Y does bad too.
Here, that might be correct but when posted in that contexts it's either about excusing X, or about diluting and making X seem less bad.
So, don't. Here we discuss the atrocities of the chinese government.
Video was good but it wasn't intense enough. It didn't drive home to me just how insane and horrible this is.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's really weird watching this right after the George Floyd BLM riots episode. There feels as if there's a difference of severity involved.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish he used the clip of the trains with no windows, and how that appears to be a lesson learned from what the Nazis did.

I know many of us are in America and watching this place literally collapse in real time so that's taking up a lot of the oxygen, but the issues with the Uighurs is one of the bigger international issues occuring, even if it doesn't get the coverage it should to reflect that. If we didn't have to worry about COVID or collapse, it would probably be the thing taking center stage. The atrocities of the past happening in real time right now, complete with learning the wrong lessons from said atrocities...

If this issue wasn't something in your awareness before, it absolutely should be now. One of the greatest dangers that links this issue with America's own stumbling is it gives more room for China to grab power on the international scene, and with that power comes the ability to try to handwave this issue away. So many institutions cave to China because of this.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Good for the show to bring attention to this again.
The extend of this is just shocking and the world shouldn't be looking away. Getting electric shocks right at the back of the head because you took longer than 2 minutes in the bathroom and having to thank the torturer afterwards...

Just disgusting how our world's leaders are doing nothing again.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
"Never again" we said here in Europe.

Yet here we are supporting a dictatorship doing exactly it again because they make our cheap t-shirts.

I feel fucking ashamed.

Oct 25, 2017

Last Week Tonight: China & Uighurs

Another great episode from Last Week Tonight. They organize a lot of reports over the past few years into this 20 mins video. Edit: He once again points out that whataboutism and reductive xenophobic us vs them stereotype against the criticism is not legit and that human rights are non-negotiable.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
This is a modern day Holocaust for all intents and purposes. It's a shame this isn't getting more attention. So much for "Never Again". Islamophobia wins again.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see that there was already a topic.

Hope this brings the issues to the attention of more people.
Disgusted how the whole world just lets this happen right in front of their eyes. Sadly, even the US is doing more than the EU.

The VW guy knew exactly what is happening but feared speaking out against China. Thank god my tax money goes to propping up this industry of liars every time there is an economic downturn /s

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Holy
Fucking
Shit.

This was supposed to be the bit by the CCP that was gonna reassure foreigners that these camps are harmless. John's face is pretty much my exact fucking reaction to it.
CqIflaE.png

KXtaJtK.png

FMBWM6C.png

That there is all the goddamn red flags and the flags are on fucking fire!

Last edited:

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
No surprises to see woke corporations like Nike going all in on slave labor.

Fuck the CCP.
Yeah, I was pretty disgusted to see their name mentioned, considering how hard they went on the Kaepernick issue. I guess they only care about human rights when they're marketable.

But I'm especially disgusted by the VW CEO feigning ignorance when asked about China's treatment of the Uighurs. You're German. You're supposed to be the ones standing up to shit like this.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
This is a modern day Holocaust for all intents and purposes. It's a shame this isn't getting more attention. So much for "Never Again". Islamophobia wins again.

I think this is likely because this is to do with the affairs of china and the west isn't involved. Think about how many people know about whats going on in Tibet for example. Yeah there are those in the know who protest but most people are ignorant on it. Which is why more places talking about it is important. Though I must admit I fear people are too selfish to take the economic effects of actually condemning China. Some westerners would rather have slightly cheaper iphones at the expense of humans and it just fucking sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
Volkswagen cant say no to good ole slave labor.

China is a disgrace, at this point it may as well be Nazi Germany

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And no one can do a damn thing about it because China is too powerful....

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
What can the west really do excect stop manufacturing in China? They aren't going to change their ways unless we all act as a unit and take our companies out of there. The thing is their supply chain is unmatched and most companies just wouldn't be able to manufacture the goods the same way.

Waggin our fingers at China won't cut it.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
All the apparel brands and retailers involved with Uighur forced labor:
  • Abercrombie & Fitch
  • adidas
  • Amazon
  • Badger Sport (Founder Sport Group)
  • C&A (Cofra Holding AG)
  • Calvin Klein (PVH)
  • Carter's
  • Cerruti 1881 (Trinity Limited)
  • Costco
  • Cotton On
  • Dangerfield (Factory X Pty Ltd)
  • Esprit (Esprit Holdings Ltd.)
  • Fila (FILA KOREA Ltd)
  • Gap
  • H&M
  • Hart Schaffner Marx (Authentic Brands Group)
  • Ikea (Inter IKEA Systems B.V.)
  • Jack & Jones (Bestseller)
  • Jeanswest (Harbour Guidance Pty Ltd)
  • L.L.Bean
  • Lacoste (Maus Freres)
  • Li-Ning
  • Marks & Spencer
  • Mayor
  • Muji (Ryohin Keikaku Co., Ltd.)
  • Nike
  • Patagonia
  • Polo Ralph Lauren (Ralph Lauren Corporation)
  • Puma
  • Skechers
  • Summit Resource International (Caterpillar)
  • Target Australia (Wesfarmers)
  • Tommy Hilfiger (PVH)
  • Uniqlo (Fast Retailing)
  • Victoria's Secret (L Brands)
  • Woolworths (Woolworth Corporation, LLC.)
  • Zara (Inditex)
  • Zegna
uhrp.org

PRESS RELEASE: 180+ Orgs Demand Apparel Brands End Complicity in Uyghur Forced Labour

Today, 72 Uyghur rights groups are joined by over 100 civil society organisations and labour unions from around the world in calling on apparel brands and retailers to stop using forced labour in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (“Uyghur Region”), known to local people as East Turkistan...

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And no one can do a damn thing about it because China is too powerful....

That's just not true. China needs everyone else much more than the other way around, they are just one country and their economy needs the exports more than the rest the cheap labor.

Unfortunately, our politicians are not upstanding enough to take the right steps, be it coordinated or not. And it's not like China has many friends on the world stage. As soon as the big players start, others will follow.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  • Abercrombie & Fitch
  • adidas
  • Amazon
  • C&A (Cofra Holding AG)
  • Calvin Klein (PVH)
  • Carter's
  • Costco
  • Cotton On
  • Fila (FILA KOREA Ltd)
  • Gap
  • H&M
  • L.L.Bean
  • Lacoste (Maus Freres)
  • Li-Ning
  • Marks & Spencer
  • Mayor
  • Nike
  • Patagonia
  • Puma
  • Skechers
  • Tommy Hilfiger (PVH)
  • Zara (Inditex)
  • Zegna
uhrp.org

PRESS RELEASE: 180+ Orgs Demand Apparel Brands End Complicity in Uyghur Forced Labour

Today, 72 Uyghur rights groups are joined by over 100 civil society organisations and labour unions from around the world in calling on apparel brands and retailers to stop using forced labour in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (“Uyghur Region”), known to local people as East Turkistan...

Pretty damn disgraceful

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's just not true. China needs everyone else much more than the other way around, they are just one country and their economy needs the exports more than the rest the cheap labor.

Unfortunately, our politicians are not upstanding enough to take the right steps, be it coordinated or not. And it's not like China has many friends on the world stage. As soon as the big players start, others will follow.
So which global power will be the first to bite the economic bullet and ban trade with China?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So which global power will be the first to bite the economic bullet and ban trade with China?

US was happy enough to start a trade war for political reasons.

Sure, it does not make sense from an economic point of view but let's not act like there is nothing that can be done.
It can be sanctions at first. Doesn't have to be an all out ban of trade from the start. It should be more than the sanctions the US started with right now though.

Appeasement didn't help with the Nazis and won't help now.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
  • Abercrombie & Fitch
  • adidas
  • Amazon
  • C&A (Cofra Holding AG)
  • Calvin Klein (PVH)
  • Carter's
  • Costco
  • Cotton On
  • Fila (FILA KOREA Ltd)
  • Gap
  • H&M
  • L.L.Bean
  • Lacoste (Maus Freres)
  • Li-Ning
  • Marks & Spencer
  • Mayor
  • Nike
  • Patagonia
  • Puma
  • Skechers
  • Tommy Hilfiger (PVH)
  • Zara (Inditex)
  • Zegna
uhrp.org

Basically anyone who makes clothes. It's crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
in before any whataboutism posters:
It's not about whether you are *technically* right, it's about keeping the discussion on topic and not diluting the severity.
Example: country X does bad thing: discuss -> yeah but country Y does bad too.
Here, that might be correct but when posted in that contexts it's either about excusing X, or about diluting and making X seem less bad.
So, don't. Here we discuss the atrocities of the chinese government.
Video was good but it wasn't intense enough. It didn't drive home to me just how insane and horrible this is.

Plus, if you want to shine on your whatboutism, make a thread for that and keep on moving.

Also the CCP can go screw itself.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's about time there is finally this kind of coverage. I have made only 3 threads on this forum and one of them was about the camps and it was almost 2 years ago!

Here is the thread. It's an account of one of the prisoners from the camps. It's still just as relevant today and maybe some haven't seen it. Here is the thread. I can't believe how long ago I posted it.

www.resetera.com

Woman describes torture, beatings in Chinese detention camp

https://www.apnews.com/61cdf7f5dfc34575aa643523b3c6b3fe What a terrifying thing that is going on in China at the moment. I didn't see this posted or talked about much elsewhere so figured I would post it here. If the human rights group reports are accurate and 2 million have been detained...

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I guess things rarely change. US businesses were supporting the Nazis (which btw, had support mostly from educated upper middle and upper classes in Germany), Sweden sold them iron ore through the entire war, etc.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Man, John Oliver really is doing god's work. Every episode is a must watch for me, and this one in particular I've been waiting for for a while.

I think it's more of a news program now with the comedy bits as an afterthought.

I look forward to him covering a topic more than the jokes(which tend to follow the same formula anyway).

Nov 21, 2019
Breaks my heart we're seeing this historical tragedy happening in realtime. I've been thinking that when the holocaust happened, the world wasn't as connected as now with how fast information spreads through the internet so, in a sense, we're letting this happen with both the knowledge of past genocides and how much information about this atrocity is out there. If I ever have children or grandchildren, I'll definitely tell them how the world cowered.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
That mother and daughter clip, that hurt alot to watch.

Yeah, I was pretty disgusted to see their name mentioned, considering how hard they went on the Kaepernick issue. I guess they only care about human rights when they're marketable.

But I'm especially disgusted by the VW CEO feigning ignorance when asked about China's treatment of the Uighurs. You're German. You're supposed to be the ones standing up to shit like this.

I mean it's VW, totally not surprised with them.