• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Spotify fucking sucks for podcasts. I love this show and ready use Spotify for music so I'll deal, but this is a bummer. I prefer pocketcasts so much more than this.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
See for yourself. It should be there on your phone.

Screenshot-20191120-015601-One-UI-Home.jpg

Yep, there it is, back with my other widgets!

Thanks

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
So how does a nominally leftist podcast justify being exclusive to a specific companies platform instead of being availible on RSS?

Oct 28, 2017
Thank goodness for that 6 month trial via Game Pass.

Might have to finaally leave Podcast Addict. RIP

I can only assume both Tell em Steve Dave and Retronauts are on Spotify as well. Guess I'll live.

OP
OP
infiniteloop

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is gonna' change, despite Spotify and Luminary's efforts. You're effectively strangling your potential audience and the VC money ain't gonna keep coming.

The only way things go dystopian is if Apple starts trying to leverage their de facto control of the platform.

Apple Podcasts have been opened for over a decade, if they start going for exclusives it'll be because others forced their had

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not cool.

I've got Spotify but I don't use it for podcasts because no sleep timer (unless they've added it) amongst other reasons.

Luckily, someone just pointed out there is a sleep timer when listening to podcasts. Can't seem to find it when playing music, but it is definitely there for podcasts.

The move shouldn't be as bad as originally feared.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Guess i won't be listening* to this anymore. Tbh, show has really lost focus the last year or two.... wayyy too much filler/meaningless episodes. Used to be amazing when they focused purely on serial killers though.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Guess i won't be watching this anymore. Tbh, show has really lost focus the last year or two.... wayyy too much filler/meaningless episodes. Used to be amazing when they focused purely on serial killers though.

I have found their episodes better researched and presented than ever, but yeah, I'm not really into ghosts and aliens myself so it can be weeks between stuff I'm interested in.

Their Aum Shinrikyo and Jones Town series are absolutely brilliant though.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
I have found their episodes better researched and presented than ever, but yeah, I'm not really into ghosts and aliens myself so it can be weeks between stuff I'm interested in.

Their Aum Shinrikyo and Jones Town series are absolutely brilliant though.

Yeah, Jonestown was good but that was what, almost two years ago? Now it's just mid week filler side stories and random stuff about aliens. It's really gone off the rails.

Deleted member 32726

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I get why podcasts want to move away from RSS. But, why do we need so many platform wars?

Guess i won't be listening* to this anymore. Tbh, show has really lost focus the last year or two.... wayyy too much filler/meaningless episodes. Used to be amazing when they focused purely on serial killers though.
They're pretty much THE true crime and paranormal podcast. Personally, I think they've been pretty consistent and the new Side Stories stuff has been pretty funny.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
As long as I can download and listen offline (that's how I consume all my podcasts) without paying then I'll be fine. If downloading is behind any kind of paywall then I'm out!

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Bonnie and Clyde
Belle Gunness
Burke and Hare
Hadden Clark

All been good!

Yeah, idk, i mean don't get me wrong there are still some solid episodes but few years ago *every* episode was worthwhile. Now it's a mix of the ones you mentioned and pointless filler episodes that feel like they only produced to get $ from ads/listens.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more loyal to Overcast than any Podcast. So if I can't listen there, I am just not gonna listen.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, idk, i mean don't get me wrong there are still some solid episodes but few years ago *every* episode was worthwhile. Now it's a mix of the ones you mentioned and pointless filler episodes that feel like they only produced to get $ from ads/listens.

Guess they've done a lot of the heavy hitters, some I think could do with a revisit maybe?

Personally hoping for a few subjects for them to cover, namely:

Lawrence Bittacker and Roy Norris
Washington Snipers
Levi Belfield
Harold Shipman

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I can see the future. Podcast will be like PC Games where I need to have 8 apps if I want to listen to certain podcasts.
I can see NPR, The NYT, Earwolf etc all making this move.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does Spotify save your place in podcasts if you listen to something else between listens?

Does it allow you to fast forward 30 seconds?

It saves your place
It allows you to skip in 15 second intervals
And increase the speed of playback (not something I do)

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I get why podcasts want to move away from RSS. But, why do we need so many platform wars?

They're pretty much THE true crime and paranormal podcast. Personally, I think they've been pretty consistent and the new Side Stories stuff has been pretty funny.
and they're not messy (anymore) like the My Favorite Murder hosts. That's a huge plus.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
It's one I'm getting around to, I jump in immediately for the depraved criminals and cults, it's not like organised religion is any different so I should get on it.
their mormonism series is great

it's like a mix of their scientology series and the donner party set

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Really hope this trend doesn't take off. Least of all because I hate Spotify's podcast set up.

Can't even create playlists so I can separate out things like sports/entertainment/politics like even the most basic podcast apps. Absolutely none of the advanced features and really I just don't think Spotify is that great of a user interface.

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think they're just liberals. Isn't one of them a conservative too?
I think one of 'em was a producer on Red Eye who quit once Trump got elected.

He described how fake Fox News shows are when describing how a guest was telling him he was against water boarding in the green room calling it torture, only to go on the air and justify it.

I haven't paid for Spotify in forever, but I'll download their show from it if I have to.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Jonestown was good but that was what, almost two years ago? Now it's just mid week filler side stories and random stuff about aliens. It's really gone off the rails.

The alien and conspiracy stuff is the best. Henry is even a member of some self-serious alien research group lmao. Even better is sexy spookypasta. Love it when Henry says to get naked and roll a fat one at the start of those. Gets me every time. Such a weirdo.

Also, I'm slowly realizing that I would listen to a podcast with just Henry on any subject really.

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Last Podcast is the only show I listen to, since I don't get a lot of time for this stuff nowadays. I don't currently use Spotify, so this is an annoyance. I suppose I'll have to move from Amazon Music Unlimited over to Spotify next year, but I wish I didn't have to.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Huh. Well, I'd rather they go Spotify than Stitcher premium. I really don't want to add stitcher to my list of monthly subs if tons of podcasts keep jumping on there. On the other hand, I love my Spotify subscription so feel free to add more podcasts into the fold if they think it makes good business sense for them.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Will we soon see scene releases for podcasts? Time will tell/what a time to be alive.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Podcasts have been awesome. Just pick the player who's UI you prefer and have all of the podcasts.

It was too good to be true. Here we go, exclusive podcasts. Fuck this earth.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda bummed out by the news, I love listening to the boys but the Spotify app sucks for podcasts.

The patreon minimum pledge to be able to download the episodes is a little too much for my taste, too.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Honest question, since I don't use Spotify for my music: are podcasts playable on the free tier?