• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Last Of Us Do You Like More?

• Last Of Us Part I

Votes: 670 42.5%
  • Last Of Us Part II

Votes: 864 54.8%
  • Didn't Like Either

Votes: 43 2.7%

• Total voters

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I see the honeymoon period hasnĀ“t ended for the second game...

The first game is a more focused experience, the story is way more compelling: the development of the relationship between Joel and Ellie throughout the game is really good, and manages to make the player connect with them.

While the gameplay is greatly improved in the second game, it is a mess in pretty much everything else: the way the story its told, several inconsistencies in it, endless flashbacks, insufferable length that ends up diluting the story-telling without adding absolutely anything new to the gameplay loop... One of my biggest gaming disappointments ever.

It is pretty clear for me.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
The people implying that The Last of Us Part 2 had bad writing all earn a little side-eye. You can dislike a story without thinking it was poorly written. The Last of Us Part 2 is definitely not poorly written.
I do think Part 2 is poorly written, though. From the spoiler thread:
At the end of the day, Part 2's storytelling hinged almost entirely on whether Abby could have be empathised with by a player given her presentation at the start of the game. Whilst I understand the emotional reactions that Naughty Dog was trying to elicit with Abby, I thought that Abby was presented in far too negative of a light in the start of the game. I also felt like Naughty Dog's attempts at "redeeming" her characterisation to be far too heavy-handed and downright manipulative at times, given that Abby clearly crossed the moral event horizon to me with how brutal her murder of Joel was - which, in turn, made me hate her even more.

Furthermore, whilst Ellie's turn towards evil did make sense in the context of the story, it also felt like it was an attempt by the writers to force me to sympathise with Abby. Ellie killing a bunch of her friends didn't make her sympathise with her more at all, not only given how barebones many of their characterisations were, but it also felt like she was getting away largely unscathed while her friends died for her mistakes - as if she was the closest thing that could come to an "author's pet" that was feasibly possible in this sort of story.

As such, not only did the game not make me emphasise, much less sympathise, with Abby during her segments of the game, like they were clearly intending to, it outright elicited hatred from me towards her character for how heavy handed their attempts at redeeming her character were - the exact opposite emotional reaction. I personally can't evaluate a story that failed in such a fundamental level as anything above poor.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

The first game is a more focused experience, the story is way more compelling: the development of the relationship between Joel and Ellie throughout the game is really good, and manages to make the player connect with them.

While the gameplay is greatly improved in the second game, it is a mess in pretty much everything else: the way the story its told, several inconsistencies in it, endless flashbacks, insufferable length that ends up diluting the story-telling without adding absolutely anything new to the gameplay loop... One of my biggest gaming disappointments ever.

It is pretty clear for me.
"Honeymoon hasn't ended". Implying that it's objective that the first game is better or something.

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
Part one story part 2 gameplay.

Overall though part one as I hated pretty much every main story beat in 2.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Play more games my dude lmao
UniformHardtofindDrongo-size_restricted.gif

Holy cringe, Batman

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Part II and it's not even close. Part I was a good game, while part II is GOAT material for me.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 is one of the best games I've ever played. It totally blindsided me; I was just expecting a good Naughty Dog game and this goddamn game destroyed me. Hurt me just right. I basically couldn't think of anything else for like a month after playing it. I loved the first game, too, but there's really no contest for me.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I love both, but part 2 is way better.

From a technical point its not even close, level design and gameplay refinement are way ahead. I loved the story on Part 2, i think they took video games to a level were they had never been before and challenged the player, it was great.

I think its a shame it went over alot of peoples heads, I genuinely believe its one of the best games ive played.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Because it isn't a honeymoon. This game is never going to see the same kind of turn around in opinion that was seen with Red Dead 2, Bioshock Infinite or Metal Gear Solid V. You'd already see clear evidence of it on places like ResetERA by now, but you don't.

The reason honeymoons happened with the above games was because most reviewers completely missed something really divisive about the game - the controls/gameplay in RD, the unfinished nature of MGS, etc. What about TLoU are people missing and going to realise later down the line?

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The plot is really weak imo, I like where it starts but it basically made it's point when
Abby kills Joel
. After that it really doesn't go anywhere interesting except sledgehammer that same point in. It could have gone in a lot more interesting directions after that. Abby's side of the story is more interesting, but they could have achieved a similar effect by having
Abby and Ellie end up in a situation where they were forced to work together and have them realize neither is a bad person
. Something like that would have been a streamlined version of the story that could have likely cut down the game length significantly, achieve similar storytelling effects with complex characters and emotions, but end things on a slightly more upbeat note with a GREAT setup for TLoU3 to be a
Abby+Ellie story

Honestly, I think that would have been a tremendous mistake. Actually, during the last section of the game, as the writers were establishing a mutual enemy, I was VERY concerned they were going to do just that. Thankfully, they didn't. I think it would have undermined both characters fundamentally.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling Over Multiple Posts; Prior Infractions for Trolling

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Wow wow, What is going on guys? In my opinion, if a person thinks The Last Of Us Part II is one of the best games has played, said person should definitely play more videogames.
How many games is the amount needed to be able to justifiably have TLOU2 as someone's favorite game ever, my master?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
While I re-bought TLOU1 on PS4 to play it at 60fps, I certainly won't do it with TLOU2 on PS5. I just don't care about those characters anymore in that pointless, boring and fabricated "hate and revenge" story. I just hope they won't do a third game and instead try to do a completely different thing for their next game (because naughty dog is an increadibly talented studio), hopefully with another creative director and story writer.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
How many games is the amount needed to be able to justifiably have TLOU2 as someone's favorite game ever, my master?

Jokes aside, it is cool if you all think The Last Of Us Part II is one of the best games ever made, I personally think there are many games that are better. Different people, different opinions.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I do think Part 2 is poorly written, though. From the spoiler thread:
At the end of the day, Part 2's storytelling hinged almost entirely on whether Abby could have be empathised with by a player given her presentation at the start of the game. Whilst I understand the emotional reactions that Naughty Dog was trying to elicit with Abby, I thought that Abby was presented in far too negative of a light in the start of the game. I also felt like Naughty Dog's attempts at "redeeming" her characterisation to be far too heavy-handed and downright manipulative at times, given that Abby clearly crossed the moral event horizon to me with how brutal her murder of Joel was - which, in turn, made me hate her even more.

Furthermore, whilst Ellie's turn towards evil did make sense in the context of the story, it also felt like it was an attempt by the writers to force me to sympathise with Abby. Ellie killing a bunch of her friends didn't make her sympathise with her more at all, not only given how barebones many of their characterisations were, but it also felt like she was getting away largely unscathed while her friends died for her mistakes - as if she was the closest thing that could come to an "author's pet" that was feasibly possible in this sort of story.

As such, not only did the game not make me emphasise, much less sympathise, with Abby during her segments of the game, like they were clearly intending to, it outright elicited hatred from me towards her character for how heavy handed their attempts at redeeming her character were - the exact opposite emotional reaction. I personally can't evaluate a story that failed in such a fundamental level as anything above poor.
Well said.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
The polls missing a "I don't have a favourite. I love them both equally option", deliberately I know but still, I can't choose between them. They're both in my Top 2 games of all time. šŸ™‚

edit: just checked psnprofiles and seen that I've only played 554 games across PS3, Vita and PS4 and 35 years of gaming on other formats and realised I might not have played enough different games to have come to a considered opinion. šŸ¤£

Last edited:

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
2 is a much better game.

1's story is much more focused and cohesive.

Yeah I would agree with this. The story in 2 is insanely ambitious, but it relies on constant flashbacks and perspective switches that can take you out of the moment. TLOU1 benefits greatly from being a simple, linear story.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
I love both TLOU games but first one will always be a superior just because it introduced me to Joel and Ellie and their broken world.
It also was more streamlined and focused, in TLOU2 (which I love also don't get me wrong) sometimes it was a slough.
There were plenty areas that were just a trek.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much everything in TLOU2 is superior other than the story and uniqueness - that's why the original pipped it for me.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether it's a meaningful question to try and say whether Part II is better than Part I. They're both exceptional games and I think a lot of what determines your answer is going to come down to preferences that don't truly have a say in quality.

Part II is one of the best sequels I've ever played however. It does the exact right thing in taking the character arcs, the emotional investment, from the first game and doing something challenging to the player with its story. It's hard to talk about without spoilers, but it took what you loved and framed it in a new context that transforms the past into something new. It's enriching, it's good for the soul.

And despite it being a tragedy, it's strangely comforting. I've listened to ambient music from it's OST for hours. I've replayed the entire game as soon as I was done with it the first time, which I've never done before. I was going to replay a third time, but I forced myself to stop to do a side video game project. I remember having complaints about the game's pacing, but now the only time I feel that is when I play Jackson again. I've gone on youtube and watched playthroughs of critical moments from like 8 different streamers. The game is stuck in my head and doesn't want to leave. Even now, I already want to replay Last of Us 1 again so I can then replay last of us 2 and I'm hoping PS5 is out by then so I can replay LoU2 in 1440p (or 4K but I'm hoping they make 1440p an option too).

Part II is what sequels should do more often. Basically, what I'm saying is Kratos needs to be beaten to death by a vengeful Boat Captain so the rest of the game can take place from Boi's perspective.

Last edited:

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2 was better in every way for me. Also, I loved the length and the split campaigns. As someone who went into the game completely blind in regards to spoilers, Abby's campaign felt like a surprise The Last of Us Part 3 to me.

I absolutely loved it. If anyone ever involved in the making of this game reads this, I gotta say you outdid yourselves in every way. I LOVED this game and and I had honestly thought TLOU Part 1 was overrated, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. After I finished the game, I wanted to if everyone enjoyed it like I did, and it honestly bummed me out when I learned about the leaks and the voice actor abuse that happened. The people who send that abuse are beyond pathetic.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
2 minus the dog violencce. It makes no sense without the story of 1 though.

Also, are you reading this Neil??? Because I DON'T NEED another sequel. Tell Hermen!

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I would agree with this. The story in 2 is insanely ambitious, but it relies on constant flashbacks and perspective switches that can take you out of the moment. TLOU1 benefits greatly from being a simple, linear story.
Very much so. I also felt like there HAS to have been a more linear story planned, but for some reason they put a lot of that into flashbacks instead. Like one flashback has a tutorial which feels pretty out of place at that point in the game. Another has you able to loot a bunch of items but the flashback ends without any actual combat (if I remember right), I have no idea if there was any point in looting those items at all.
I think it would have been a stronger story overall if it had just done it more traditionally from A to B, starting with quieter moments of exploration and character development for Ellie/Joel/Dina/Abby/etc.. Would have made the story build momentum more naturally and do a better job of keeping that momentum later on.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Part I is an exceptional "one of those". Landing side by side with a book like The Road or a movie like Children of Men.

Part II is more special than that. It's a riskier approach, tackling a larger breadth of themes, while having a writer's flair that challenges you in different planes.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I liked both, but TLOU2 has much, much better gameplay (arguably the best gameplay in any ND game to date), and the story was much more impactful.
It's a better game overall.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
I can't finish part 1 for all these years. Part 2 I enjoyed the gameplay and the story resonated with me much better.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Part 2 was better gameplay imo, part one I kinda forgot a lot of it apart from the ending,and had to rewatch a playthrough to remind me what happened until that part. I don't think I'll ever forget part 2!

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
TLOU2 might just be one of my favourite video games, ever. Right there in top spot with The Witcher 3. Truly amazing game.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Part II for me.

Like others have said, PII has much better gameplay. Level design, character controls, gunplay - all of this is way better than the first game. Storywise, it could go either way for some, I liked it though. Maybe because I've played the game with open mind, not creating my own story of Joel and Ellie beforehand and then being mad at ND for making something different.

Also the game has much more stable framerate than first game had on PS3.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Part one I platinumed and must have replayed a dozen times.

Part two I played through once and had to push myself by the end. Ugly anti fanfic.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
2 had way better gameplay, but I liked 1 more. I didn't really appreciate some, uhhh... changes in perspective in 2 and near the end it felt like the game dragged on a bit. The ending in 1 was also perfection, 2 didn't even come near.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Part 1 overall.

Part 2 is the better game mechanically and graphically but I prefer everything else about the first.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
That's actually pretty simple question... answer is last of us2. The only thing I don't like from the game is it has too much horror element šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Part 1 is extremely good, but part 2 does everything better. I didn't expect that, I expected gameplay to be better and story to be worse, but it blew me away. I could nitpick here and there but all in all it worked exactly as intended and it was a amazing (and fucked up) journey.

Another has you able to loot a bunch of items but the flashback ends without any actual combat (if I remember right), I have no idea if there was any point in looting those items at all.

I think the point was tricking the player into thinking a fight is coming, we all know what happens when a game throws some free resources at you, but it's not.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I feel like part II is a much better game.

Gameplay:
Both games have the same general structure as a third person shooter with stealth mechanics. The first game especially is pretty basic, and it's a product of last gen where TPS were very popular and all over the place.
Both games are pretty much completely linear as you go from point A to point B and but in part II, although it's very much linear, you sometimes get this feeling of faux freedom in the way you're going so it can keep things a bit more fresh and the game overall feels less claustrophobic and handholding.
The game feels much better to play in part II though and I doubt anyone here will think otherwise. Ellie & Abby are both much more agile than Joel ever was, and the dodging, jumping, prone, and other additions to the gameplay overall make you more engaged in the combat, therefore making it more intense as well.

The shooting feels much better, to no surprise. That and also the whole gore & blood system ND made in part II is absolutely nuts and the violence feels absolutely ruthless, unforgiving and cruel. Enemies beg for their lives, shout their friends names when they die, become angry/sad, etc. It makes everything feel more alive, and like you're actually fighting people in the LoU universe as opposed to just your regular ol' NPC enemies. The shotgun in part II is probably one of the most satisfying weapons I've played with, that thing just tears people and infected apart.

Another huge plus to part II is the removal of those annoying dumpster/ladder "puzzles" which were all over the place in the first game. After a handful of those I literally groaned every time I was forced to do another one. You have them in part II like.. twice but I think they're more of a nod to the first game.

Story:
The first game's plot to me is a standard apocalypse story with an emotional detached tough character and a young cool one that the tough one learns to love and heals him. It's not original or new by any means but it's done well especially because the characters themselves are nicely written and acted. The story didn't really click with me until after Joel gets hurt and Ellie takes care of him. From that point I was more invested in the story but overall I don't think it reaches any of part II highs by a longshot.
This is the 'controversial' part of part II. I feel like the vast majority of players actually liked and respected the story but the whole leaks fiasco and the vocal majority lead people to think otherwise. Sure, the game goes from 0 to 100 straight away and doesn't shy away from making hard decisions.
The thing many people were angry about happens pretty quickly, in order to drive the plot forward. I think ND should be applauded for doing things in an unorthodox & uncompromising manner. They had their vision of how the game should and needs to be and they did it, because although the players are attached to Joel - in the universe of the game he's a mass murderer who may have sacirificed humanity's hope for Ellie, and his own sake. He is no saint and his death was coming sooner or later.
The writing, characters, voice acting, cut-scenes - everything is leagues beyond the first games and sometimes I felt like I'm watching an HBO show and I was a lot more invested in this game. I think the first game's plot is a bit overrated and it didn't really kick of for me until more than halfway through the game.
Here? Right from the beginning I was invested and besides having fun playing the game, I honestly wanted to know how things progress and what comes next.

The story can be a bit confusing at first with its non-linear way of story telling like how it incorporates flashbacks and jumps off between Ellie's & Abby's days in Seattle but I liked it and felt like it was building towards something great which eventually was proven to be the case. The ending of the game is emotionally difficult (at least for me) and also very powerful.
The game managed to introduce a new character that kills of our beloved Joel straight away, and we as the players are going to hate Abby right away and wanting to take our revenge on her, reflecting Ellie's feelings. Fast forward a dozen hours or so - we take control of Abby after a very intense cliffhanger which I bet made many people upset but it's another decision by ND that I respect. By the time Abby's playthrough came to an end I liked her as much as I liked Ellie and I was sympathizing with her and her actions. The last part of the game forces you, as Ellie, to fight Abby in order to take your long sought revenge and I honestly did not want to go through with that fight and I was disgusted by Ellie's actions. Thinking that just ~20 hours before that I was introduced to the character and hated her guts is pretty amazing and quite an achievement by ND. Nothing in part I made me feel nearly as much as part II and its incredibly powerful & emotional ending and message.

I haven't got much to say about the sound & graphics, not because there's nothing to say but because they are both incredible and everyone will agree on that. Pretty much the most impressive PS4 game to date.