• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Character Did You Like More?

• Ellie

Votes: 931 42.6%
  • Abby

Votes: 662 30.3%
  • Both Equally

Votes: 350 16.0%
  • Indifferent About Either

Votes: 240 11.0%

• Total voters

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Abby. I don't know this Ellie she's crazy man. I still love her in Part 1 but she is despicable in Part 2. I don't see how people can possibly think Abby is just as bad as Ellie but yet I keep seeing that weird opinion all over the internet.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Abby. I don't know this Ellie she's crazy man. I still love her in Part 1 but she is despicable in Part 2. I don't see how people can possibly think Abby is just as bad as Ellie but yet I keep seeing that weird opinion all over the internet.

Ellie was suffering from PTSD in a post-apocalyptic world, she's a victim too.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Abby.
By the end of it when you're fighting her in the water, I wanted to lose to Ellie and was fearing I'd be forced into killing Abby.

Hate is a cycle, and I understand why Ellie isn't able to let the past go, but Abby is much more of a sympathetic character by the end of the game.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Ellie was pretty unlikeable to me by the end. Abby made a really good first impression.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
Hated Abby, killed joel you go on my shit list. Her whole storyline all I wanted was to switch back to Ellie.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up sympathizing way more with Abby. I kinda disliked Ellie by the end.

It was a draining, yet wondeful experience to be honest.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Btw, when ~that~ happened, I hated Abby. I love this Girlfriend review video because it's exactly how I felt while playing

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
This is a hard one. I really enjoyed both characters and felt strong emotions for both by the end of the game. I appreciate the person Abby has become by the end of the game and have more conflicted feelings about who Ellie is becoming. On the other hand I have multiple play-throughs of time in the first game spent with Ellie and that time embedded her far more deeply into my heart than Abby.

None of the poll options capture those emotions.

Ultimately I hope we receive a conclusion to their stories in a third game. That will ultimately decide my true feelings for both characters.

I am very hopeful for a redemption for both Abby & Ellie.

Beyond Vast

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Two Horrific people engaging in the most heinous decisions and violence in search for revenge.

Ellie is more detestable because she went a lot further in her quest for revenge and Abby focus her rage only on her singular intended target.

Looking at the characters specifically through the lens of the second game and not the first, both are extremely dislikeable. Abby less so, but remembering the time spent with Ellie in the first game balances out that bias.

Very little to like about either.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ellie. There are a number of personal thoughts and opinions I developed about Abby that made me, while appreciative of her character & motivation, really dislike her.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Abby clearly regretted doing what she did. Joel did not. The reasons are pretty obvious I think.

It's a bit late to regret your actions when you travelled a thousand miles by foot specifically to kill someone. That ain't some spur of the moment thing, which you can at least give Joel. It must have taken Abby months to reach Jackson from Seattle and she never once considered that maybe it wasn't worth it. It wasn't until she caved Joel's head in and realised she wasn't enjoying it as much as she thought she would that she began to regret her choice, but by then it's too late. You can't take that back.

That's why Ellie choosing not to kill Abby is so powerful because she finally understood that you don't kill because you want to, you kill because you have to. Yes, Joel killed a lot of Fireflies to save Ellie but they would never have let him leave with her peacefully and Marlene would never have stopped hunting them. In order for Ellie to live, they had to die, and all of that would have easily been avoided if Marlene had simply waited for Joel to wake up so he could hear Ellie say she was okay with the surgery.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Ellie wasn't very likeable in part 2, but I still like to see the character redeem herself. Abby I really didn't care for, since she wasn't part of part 1, so playing as her was weird, and somewhat annoying. But at the end of part 2 I liked Abby more than I liked Ellie. I would say I like both equally though.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I intentionally tried to lose the final boss fight in the game because I did not want the person I was playing to win it.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Ellie is a good person. I wish I could have liked Abby, but her enjoying torture is a step too far.

Also Owen sucks so any part of the story he was in was insufferable.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bit late to regret your actions when you travelled a thousand miles by foot specifically to kill someone. That ain't some spur of the moment thing, which you can at least give Joel. It must have taken Abby months to reach Jackson from Seattle and she never once considered that maybe it wasn't worth it. It wasn't until she caved Joel's head in and realised she wasn't enjoying it as much as she thought she would that she began to regret her choice, but by then it's too late. You can't take that back.

That's why Ellie choosing not to kill Abby is so powerful because she finally understood that you don't kill because you want to, you kill because you have to. Yes, Joel killed a lot of Fireflies to save Ellie but they would never have let him leave with her peacefully and Marlene would never have stopped hunting them. In order for Ellie to live, they had to die, and all of that would have easily been avoided if Marlene had simply waited for Joel to wake up so he could hear Ellie say she was okay with the surgery.

When playing through the game the first time it didn't even register to me that Joel was the one making the decision. I felt like I was the one who made that choice to save Ellie. Evidently many looked at it differently and condemn Joel for doing what he did. Anyway, you're replying to me as if I am one of those who is in that camp. I'm not.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
#TeamAbbyLevBestBuddies

I liked both. God for Sony to announce a PS5 version of the game, I'll replay that day 1.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't stand Abby (or most of the characters in the game) and still wanted her dead at the end. Team Ellie but even she is all fucked up as well.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't find Abby likeable at all. Gamewise she had some more interesting (and fun) mission areas or whatever you want to call them, but as a character she seemed overly contrived in order to be a counterweight to Ellie.

That said I think her story was fine if we're just talking about how it played out and why it started. I just prefer Ellie's much more.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Team Ellie. Abby's story would have been better as a side story within TLOU's universe rather than forcing it to be somehow attached to Ellie and Joel's story. I also feel like if they planted Abby and Ellie's connection in TLOU1 with the intention of making it be the "big to do" in TLOU2. Instead, it just sort of came off as way too convenient for me to really get invested into Abby's story. I see the appeal for it but it wasn't for me. I also hated playing most of Abby's story.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
They're both really fucked up. Abby is unquestionably more fucked up and heinous than Ellie since she's spent years doing the horrible shit that Ellie only does for a couple days, but her half of the story is, overall, a lot more emotionally engaging and rewarding. I also really love the Abby segments a ton; that's not necessarily indicative of the her character, but it helps paint her portion of the game in a more favorable light.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I chose Abby. Both are an equal foundation to the story, but I thought Abby was the most surprising character I ever played. Started the game hating her, ended the game thinking she's the best characters of the series.

I think using only an outside perspective, judging their actions based on our own ethical view in the current real world, is a hindrance to understanding what they were going through. Their individual perspectives and trauma were at the center of that story, and we needed to make an honest effort to feel the characters from their perspective. Abby got through much earlier and figured things out long before Ellie.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I like both equally but Abby's parts of Part II are superior and she has the best sequence in the entire game and the moment that elevated the entire experience for me.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Though question. I have more attachment to Ellie since I have seen her have a more rich and involved character arc, but it's impressive how ND managed to create an amazing and complex character as Abigail Anderson in a few hours.

My answer is Abby, but mainly because I ended up impressed that I got to love a character that I could easily would have ended hating. The complexity of what ND pulled off with this game will be marked in my brain for many years.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know how people (that didn't hated the whole game I mean) can hate one or the other... I just wanted both to stop the madness.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU1 Ellie, TLOU2 Abby.
Really didn't like Ellie by the end of 2, but if it's just between TLOU1 Ellie and Abby, I'd pick Ellie hands down.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Was on team Ellie, then team Abby, then team Ellie again at the end.

Both are great.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Abby. Ellie is the bad guy in this story. She loses the plot pretty quickly and will give up anything in the name of revenge. Glad she can only play the drums or maybe the triangle now.