• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I'm finding the countdown pics very interesting. Aside from elaborating on potential gameplay elements, it looks like ND is using these items to visually link them to the characters by personality and whatever theme they symbolize.

If you were working marketing for ND and you had to do the same treatment for the characters in TLOU1, what item would you post on Instagram for each of the characters?

Here are mine:

Joel: broken wristwatch
Sarah: stuffed toy giraffe

Tess: a stack of ration cards
Robert: a rifle or handgun, symbolizing the cache of weapons he stole from Tess
Marlene: a clenched hand with dangling Firefly dogtags
Ellie: her switchblade

Bill: either his gasmask, a nailbomb, or a set of car keys
Henry: his map of Pittsburgh
Sam: the toy robot he finds in the abandoned toy shop
Tommy: his wedding band
David: his machete or the antibiotics he gives to Ellie
Riley: the photobooth picture of her and Ellie

Also, examples don't necessarily have to be restricted to single items. If you feel a frozen pig carcass better identifies with David, that's valid too. Maybe the werewolf movie posters better represents Sarah.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Figuratively, of course. Just shooting some ideas. Discussing interesting aspects of the game.

Honestly, I wish videogames did Topps style collectible cards for games like this. Or if that's not feasible, they did something similar to what Resident Evil 4 and 5 or the Arkham games have done with their in game statues you could collect and purchase.

I do hope that ND stuffs a lot of collectible lore rather than skins and outfits.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Brainstorming marketing ideas for free?
tenor.gif

I guess since the game came out this might not count as astroturfing.

OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Brainstorming marketing ideas for free?
tenor.gif

I guess since the game came out this might not count as astroturfing.
No. I'm simply observing these countdown pics on instagram and imaging what it would look like if they applied this treatment on the first game.

I do like the instagram pics and I hope that they're unlockable art in the final game. Arkham City had some amazing unlockable art in the game. I hope TLOU2 has something like that.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Accusations of Astroturfing
I can't believe we're making advertising campaigns now

Definitely gives credibility to the claims that some threads/posts in here are people paid to praise or hype up something. This one definitely seems to be one of the most egregious cases where you really gotta wonder.

OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not advertising campaigns. I'm asking what posters here what objects they best associate with the characters from the first game.

Rocksteady had interesting campaigns for Arkham City and Arkham Knight in the weeks leading up to their releases. They would release photos of each of the characters. I found them interesting to say the least.

So I wondered what this current campaign on Instagram would look like if it were being done for the original game. That's all it was.

At the end of the day, the first Last of Us game is a seven years old game that's not going to get much more mileage once the hype begins to ramp up for TLOU2.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Definitely gives credibility to the claims that some threads/posts in here are people paid to praise or hype up something. This one definitely seems to be one of the most egregious cases where you really gotta wonder.
Lol, take the tinfoil hat off. He ain't a paid marketer.

You're list is fine op. Not really much to add to it. Bill could have something that belonged to his partner. Or the siphon he gave lol idk

OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lol, take the tinfoil hat off. He ain't a paid marketer.

You're list is fine op. Not really much to add to it. Bill could have something that belonged to his partner. Or the siphon he gave lol idk

Like I said above, I hope the game has unlockables of old art related to the first game -- either as 3-D model statues like in Resident Evil 4 and 5, or collectible cards like what you find in Witcher 3 or Final Fantasy 8.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Jesus, can I not click on a single fucking thread that isn't full of shitposting from the usual suspects? God damn, man.

Do your thing, OP. I thought it was a fun idea.

OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
David is definitely the machete.

Maybe a deer skull as well.

Marlene, I would go with my original idea or Firefly gear like the vests and armbands.

Riley: either a faded picture of her with Ellie or her firefly dogtag

And for Sarah, maybe a soccer ball or trophy.

Honestly, I hope for something akin to the Arkham games -- easter egg galleries whether they're 3-D models or artwork. The game's number of cast is small and intimate enough that it shouldn't be too taxing on the programming resources.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe a deer skull as well.

Marlene, I would go with my original idea or Firefly gear like the vests and armbands.

Riley: either a faded picture of her with Ellie or her firefly dogtag

And for Sarah, maybe a soccer ball or trophy.

Honestly, I hope for something akin to the Arkham games -- easter egg galleries whether they're 3-D models or artwork. The game's number of cast is small and intimate enough that it shouldn't be too taxing on the programming resources, unlike the Arkham games where you had scores or collectible statues.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The magazine. Nice.

Ellie is always linked to the switch blade but I'd like to see the starlight comics as an alternate cover version for her so to speak. I wish they'd make that an actual game.

OP
OP
Crackhead_Bob

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The magazine. Nice.

Ellie is always linked to the switch blade but I'd like to see the starlight comics as an alternate cover version for her so to speak. I wish they'd make that an actual game.

Was there supposed to be anything significant to those comics? They never really come into play in the main story in any meaningful way.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
They're space voyagers whose ship gets warped far away for some reason. I don't remember if they parallel Joel and Elle at all;the main character is a woman and I think her second in command is a man but beyond that I can't remember if there are similarities to tlou storyline.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Man... I clicked on this thinking it would be full of people posting imaginative ideas for an old game released ages ago for a bit of fun, maybe some pics/sketches as well from users with ideas. Instead I was greeted with reading a bunch of unimaginative miserable posts. Shame... I'll join in and post some stuff OP if I'm not banned. Hopefully I'm not too offensive in this post but I felt op had just good intentions for fun and was just jumped on for it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
OP, I pretty can't think of much besides the ones you have already posted. I think that's the issue with such well defined characters.

For me:

Marlene would definitely be a metallic firefly pendant as she was the personification of the movement for the player.
Bill would be Gas mask because of his paranoia and his desire to stay detached and isolated from the world to protect himself.

I do wonder what became of Bill.