• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Seven years after the release of the original, The Last of Us Part II is finally out now on PlayStation 4. Even before release, writer-director Neil Druckmann acknowledged that some fans of the first game would dislike the sequel, and now that the game is out, he's responded to more of the internet hate.

Speaking on former Nintendo boss Reggie Fils-Aime's podcast, Druckmann said it's worthless to fight against people when they share their opinions about a game--whether it be good or bad. However, Druckmann said he can't understand how people get so worked up and upset about fictional characters.

"I think you have to create some separation to say, we made this game, we believe in this game, we're proud of this game, now it's out there and it's like whatever reaction people have--whether they like it or not--that's fair," Druckmann said. "That's their reaction and you don't fight that. The other thing with the more hateful stuff, the more vile stuff, that's a little harder. It's especially harder when I see it happening to team members or cast

We have an actor, she's been getting really awful, vile stuff because of a fictional character she's playing in the game," Druckmann added. "I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. The thing I try to do is just ignore it as much as I can. When things escalate to being serious, there are certain security protocols that we take and I report it to the proper authorities. Then you just try to focus on the positives and focus on distracting yourself with other stuff. But it's kind of just the reality."

Even the Polygon article mentions this

A few hours later, [the leak is] everywhere and you're starting to get hate on every social media you're on, and soon that turns into death threats, anti-Semitic remarks, and just craziness I never could have anticipated," he continued, stating that he never thought the game would get this sort of hate."

More at the link

Gamespot article

Really unfortunate situation all around. Then entire team needs to take a break from social media asap. Especially the cast members.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
However, Druckmann said he can't understand how people get so worked up and upset about fictional characters.

I guess he's talking about people that are obsessed since he's talking about people going after actors/VAs and the like. Otherwise IDK why a creator/writer would dislike people being attached to their characters

Some (many?) of those people were just acting out with no real attachment though.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
I absolutely am interested in the world and reception this game would've garnered online without the leaks and the game being painted as a disaster. While I do think that vocal minority would still exist, I believe that the overall conversation regarding it would be much less volatile.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I absolutely am interested in the world and reception this game would've garnered online without the leaks and the game being painted as a disaster. While I do think that vocal minority would still exist, I believe that the overall conversation regarding it would be much less volatile.

Maybe it would have taken a little while longer post release but I dont think it would have been much different. Alt right will continue to be Alt right.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
"We have an actor, she's been getting really awful, vile stuff because of a fictional character she's playing in the game," Druckmann added. "I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. The thing I try to do is just ignore it as much as I can. When things escalate to being serious, there are certain security protocols that we take and I report it to the proper authorities. Then you just try to focus on the positives and focus on distracting yourself with other stuff. But it's kind of just the reality."

Unbelievable.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
It's so frightening and vocal that that even people like myself who love the game, are almost afraid to speak up about it. This forum is the only place I dare do so.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Vile is the right word.

There is no defending taking your feelings about fictional characters and events and twisting it to threaten and harass actors and artists.

Some people just can't seperate the 2 worlds it seems

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
I was going to post the same idea, I feel bad for game developers when their games are leaked because they are exposed to criticism and nothing else.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Alot of the hate has been absolutely disgusting and deplorable - a true shame and embarrassment, to be honest.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Not a bad interview and though thtere, but I can already see this thread devolving since few will read OP and thinking it's about the internet hate toward ND and Druckmann and not actually about hating how the story went and how the characters were portrayed over any of that lol.

EDIT: Though, obviously it spills into that as is the example of the voice actor so I guess it's all interconnected.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Justifying harassment over a series of posts; numerous prior bans for inappropriate comments in sensitive threads
The hate for the actors is fucking disgusting. Awful 'fans'.

But fans have every right to call out Druckmann on all the lies and false advertising. Made his shit writing even worse than it already was.

Mod Edit: Post reverted

Last edited by a moderator:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of vitriol directed at Laura Bailey in particular is absolutely disgusting. For god sakes, the character she plays is just that - a character. Abby's not a real fucking person

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
I guess he's talking about people that are obsessed since he's talking about people going after actors/VAs and the like. Otherwise IDK why a creator/writer would dislike people being attached to their characters

Some (many?) of those people were just acting out with no real attachment though.
I think with "worked up" he means things like sending death threats

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe, I still think that scene would have caused quite a kerfuffle online.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
As someone that never played the first game, and probably won't play TLOU2, it is insane how much hate these games have been getting. I've already spoiled both and saw some of the grievances people have had and it comes across as some The Last Jedi level shit posting hate.

Feb 15, 2019
I agree with him for the most part and it's definitely a sad situation but it's so weird to see him say " Druckmann said he can't understand how people get so worked up and upset about fictional characters. "

His studio is known for story writing and even more so after The Last of Us 2. When you write such polarizing and beloved characters, obviously people are going to get attached to them. Does it excuse this stupid ass behaviour? Obviously not, but it's still weird to see him wonder why the characters he writes are liked so much.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The stuff people are attacking Laura Bailey/Neil Druckmann about is really gross, just super bizarre shit.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, era is no better in this regard. Seemingly everything wrong with ND/Sony/gaming culture is attributed to this one man.
Just have to look into a Naughty Dog thread and you can see how much hate there is, Blaming them on things that this whole industry does but they go extra when it's Naughty Dog

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It really drives me up the wall when people try to paint "i don't agree with/like what this character is doing" as criticism. Just because a narrative doesn't follow the plot points you think it should doesnt mean its bad, especially when motivations are clearly presented and make sense in the context of the game's universe.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've avoided all TLOU2 stuff as I was playing it, so I don't know what the hate was all about towards people.

I assume it surrounds Abbey?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Man I've never seen so much written about a videogame in years...

Fun fact: I've played the game for 20 hours now and I'm still waiting for most things people have been raging about, lmao.
Everything has been blown out of proportion in a way even i didn't expect!

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

He is obviously talking about the people who are sending him death threats. Why would you think he has a problem with people being attached to his characters?

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

But fans have every right to call out Druckmann on all the lies and false advertising. Made his shit writing even worse than it already was.

Oh fuck off with this shit. You did not like the story does not mean you reach out to the creator with Anti - semitic shit.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's so frightening and vocal that that even people like myself who love the game, are almost afraid to speak up about it. This forum is the only place I dare do so.
That's brave. I don't even feel like talking about the game on this forum, as it feels hating the game is the only acceptable thing you can do lately...

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I wish the leaks never happened, I really think that this massive hate storm wouldn't be as big then.

I feel bad for Laura Bailey and everybody else involved. They shouldn't have to deal with this abuse.

The game is amazing and I hope that everybody who has worked on it knows that

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man I've never seen so much written about a videogame in years...

Fun fact: I've played the game for 20 hours now and I'm still waiting for most things people have been raging about, lmao.
Everything has been blown out of proportion in a way even i didn't expect!

I wasn't spoiled so I'm definitely going to go back and look at what leaked once I finish the game. I have a feeling its going to be something really stupid that people raged on about pre-release.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The face model of a certain character deleted her Twitter cause she was getting an insane amount of hate, I hate people...
she hasn't: https://twitter.com/Jocelyn_Mettler

lies?
you mean that one scene in the trailer
where Joel says a line a different character says in the final game, but you don't know that without playing the game?
and where he clearly is in a different location, when it cuts from Ellie to him?

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
people are shitty. This place is no better. Hell even some 'journalists' are no better either given how situations like the now deleted tweets by that polygon editor about hunting druckmann. Vile shit

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

You sound quite similar like the people leveling the hate and harassment at ND and the game's cast. If you were "disgusted" you wouldn't have added that "but."

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Everybody immediately attacks anybody who likes this game and calls them a shill.

The dislike bar on Dunkey's "review" of the game immediately tells you what he thought of the gamet:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I mean, era is no better in this regard. Seemingly everything wrong with ND/Sony/gaming culture is attributed to this one man.
You mean that thread about a former ex employe 10 years ago that dealt with an anti poaching from IG and ND, and somehow ERA turn it into attacking Druckmann?

Really show how much people actually care about the topic and not their stupid agenda.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
1000% disagree that because people are shitstains, that "I" need to take a break from social media.

Fuck those people.