• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
image.png

Friends it has happened at last—people have had enough of this shit.
God, I really hope
they filmed mulitple endings and this backlash forces them to use a better one than the leaked one.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I've found this season to somehow be worse, and the worst of the series, than last's but at this point there is no turning back from finishing it.

It's just inexcusable what they've turned dimensional characters and arcs into. Everything is done only for these "epic" moments and makes no sense at all.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As much as I dislike how the writers have handled the show for a few seasons now ..

Literally who gives a shit about imdb scores?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it, and would probably give it roughly that score. I'm not one to downplay and diminish user reviews like many on these forums, and appreciate that versus other episodes this likely was perhaps more divisive or contentious. Naturally it's still mostly well recieved overall, hence the 7.2 instead of something teetering in the 5's or 6's.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I had the lowest expectations going into this season, I thought. This last episode is a low point. I was fine with episodes 1-3, but this last one was a special type of bad. I have no hope for the remaining two. I had no clue how they would rush everything in just 6 episodes. This episode showed they couldn't do it, successfully. It's not even shamelessly fun to watch like episode 3 was (or much of the previous seasons since 5), anymore. I feel like I'm just gonna watch this train crash, and its depressing to think about whenever I'm reminded of how good the show used to be. In a perfect work, GRRM will finish the books, and we'll get Game of Thrones Brotherhood in the future.

It's worth saying again, this isnt even fun to watch anymore. It feels rushed, and dumb. The writers seem to want to go off and write a story about the Confederates. I'm not sure they have the talent for that.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I fully expect both Endgame and Star Wars to have a better conclusion than this. Would not have seen that coming if you asked me some years ago.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it and thought it was the best episode in a while 🤷🏽‍♂️

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  • Jon would never have left without saying a proper goodbye to Ghost
  • Ghost would never have left Jon
  • Varys has no reason to suddenly turn on Danerys whatsoever
  • Tyrion would never have made the foolish mistake of walking up to Cersei undefended in order to appeal to her better judgement, he knows better than that; if he had, he would not have brought up her dead children to anger her even more
  • The Wildlings, whose whole arc was to get into Westeros proper, would not voluntarily decide to leave Westeros, especially given how many empty keeps, towns, and settlements there are for them to take residence in

1. Why not? Maybe he didn't want a painful goodbye?

2. Ghost has been without Jon plenty of times before, and left him on his command too.

3. Vary's has every reason to turn against Dany. His arc and motivation has always been about being for the realm, not for one particular person. With Dany showing signs of the mad king/queen in being potentially being willing to burn hundreds of thousands if not millions of innocent people alive just to rule Kings Landing, her potentially no longer heeding her advisors council, and also there being a legitimate alternative in Jon, it makes perfect sense Vary's would keep doing what he's always done, plot in the interests of the realm.

4. Tyrion has literally done exactly that in the past. His flaw is that he trusts her too much when he shouldn't do, as has been hammered home many times, including in this very season. Thankfully for whatever reason Cercei does seem to have some shred of sympathy or empathy for Tyrion, because she's let him live multiple times where she could have killed him.

5. That was whilst the NK was still a threat. Whilst it's possible some will remain in Northern territories, it makes sense most would head back proper North now that the threat of the NK is gone and all their vast lands and territories free again. That is ultimately their home.

Last edited:

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect both Endgame and Star Wars to have a better conclusion than this. Would not have seen that coming if you asked me some years ago.

Yep, three of my favorite media franchises. MCU hit it out of the park, Star Wars looks good from the one teaser, but GoT is just a constant disappointment. Hopefully the Amazon LOTR show knocks it out.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good. It feels like the showrunners don't want to make the show anymore so we're left with an unsatisfying end after years of buildup as they just try to get through it as fast and as simple as possible.

I don't even completely blame D&D for it. They signed up to adapt the books, not write an ending for the series. This is like when anime overtakes the manga content so they have to write filler or make up their own ending, which is most of the time not as good.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
The show shouldn't have started until all of the books were out. It would have been so much better.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I've just taken the stance that we're watching shitty fan-fiction and that some day we'll get the real ending.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Is this why GRRM has been playing the long con. He figured out that no satisfactory ending could happen in the TV show. Now he can end it however he wants and still come out ahead.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this why GRRM has been playing the long con. He figured out that no satisfactory ending could happen in the TV show. Now he can end it however he wants and still come out ahead.

On one hand it might motivate him to finish writing his story. On the other he might think he has to rewrite a lot of it.

I think the overall plot direction is fine, but they butchered the story to finish it one season too soon to move on to Star Wars (back when that probably sounded like a great idea and SW hype was raging).

So hopefully GRRM sticks to his guns and just goes forward.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed it, and would probably give it roughly that score. I'm not one to downplay and diminish user reviews like many on these forums, and appreciate that versus other episodes this likely was perhaps more divisive or contentious. Naturally it's still mostly well recieved overall, hence the 7.2 instead of something teetering in the 5's or 6's.

7.1 for an episode in a popular show on imdb is pretty damn low. It's got over 40000 ratings now.
Considering that til now the lowest rated ep was 8.1 which was the infamous s5 episode where Bronn and Jaime fight the sand snakes...... yeah.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't think it was bad? They celebrated after the win, allies gone separate ways and the rest marched on Cersei with a skeleton army being too confident. They got put in their place for it and need to rethink. Classic writing. Don't know why people found it so terrible. Can't please everybody I guess.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense. It killed off two fan favs in stupid and awful ways, and made a number of beloved characters act like fools.

Taking one of the best female characters in the show and turning her into a weeping cliche was a very tone deaf move.
Tone deaf is totally on brand for what this show has become.

(GoT Season 8 Episode 4) As if Brienne breaking down wasn't bad enough, think about how it looks to throw Missandei in shackles and have her beheaded.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
7.1 for an episode in a popular show on imdb is pretty damn low. It's got over 40000 ratings now.
Considering that til now the lowest rated ep was 8.1 which was the infamous s5 episode where Bronn and Jaime fight the sand snakes...... yeah.

I agree, but I also think part of that might be exasperated by lots of Daenerys fans who are upset at the way things went or are going for her this episode, in other words that she might end up being the bad guy of the show.

There's lots of this sort of sentiment in user reviews, among several other key complaints.

"I honestly cringe every time Danny portrays some of her newly acquired tyrant traits. I just don't understand. Why? Nothing in her character arc justifies it. You know what does though? bad writing.".

Thing is, I strongly disagree with this one. I actually think the show has been hinting at her potentially going mad queen for the longest time. Hell, she would have potentially burned entire cities and naval fleets to the ground and sea in retaliation for the attack on Mereen were it not for Tyrion's council. There's always been this underlying notion that Dany might only be a truly just, sensible or merciful ruler if her advisors could keep her in check, but that otherwise she has the potential to carry out unspeakable ruthlessness, havoc and bloodshed.

Given how far she's been pushed with the loss of her dragons, Missande, Jorah, the stuff with Jon's lineage, losing so much of her army, her build up to this point etc, her finally snapping and ignoring the council of her advisors to instead rain down absolute fury irrespective of hundreds of thousands of casualties or deaths, all in the name of her finally becoming the ruler of the seven kingdoms, isn't actually completely out of the bounds of her characters arc or the way she's been built up. Hell, countless YouTube videos have theorised her being the final villain or going mad queen for years now.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Lol he'll be dead as fuck, somebody will finish the series but it sure as fuck won't be him.

Hell, he'll probably die developing a new show and not writing books, guaranteed.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the thing that bothered me most is that everyone seemed to have auburn hair now? I know tyrion and jaimes hair has been getting darker since the early series but legitimately if you watch the opening 20 minutes of this episode they're both ginger lol, I dunno if it was something to do with the filter used but yeah, looked super weird.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I think the thing that bothered me most is that everyone seemed to have auburn hair now? I know tyrion and jaimes hair has been getting darker since the early series but legitimately if you watch the opening 20 minutes of this episode they're both ginger lol, I dunno if it was something to do with the filter used but yeah, looked super weird.
I noticed that Jon's mustache is light brown while his beard and hair are black. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was somewhat considering catching up on this show one day (I only saw bits and pieces), and I was hoping they'd land the ending so it makes more inviting. Bit of a shame I'm mostly reading pretty bad comments about this season, even besides the memeable stuff (the Starbucks cup or the dark episode) it seems like the writing is not very good. Oh well, hopefully the actual finale goes down better.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Bronn mentioned Jaime's blond hair twice in that scene last night, and it's like, who ya talking to, bro? The same Jaime who's been straight up brunette for like four seasons now?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Episode 4 really killed any idea of there being a greater narrative than the WWs and the throne. Bran worst of all who just kinda fucked off now that the zombies have been defeated.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Guess the backlash to the prior episode leaked over to this one cuz I've seen way dumber episodes than this one, which I felt was just the same mediocre quality that's been shown for years.

But I ain't complaining, loving this shitstorm. Even more entertaining than the show lol
I think the complaints for episode three were mostly dumb. Suddenly all people were a strategics of war and they just didn't like some stuff because of personal reasons. It seems most Americans are emotionally involved with characters and don't like when certain things happen. But this episode was truelly bad imo. No actor asside from Sansa and The hound was convincing. The acting was really bad and every line deserved another take but apparently there was no time for that. And then that thing at sea.......

But i agree. These Era Shitstorms can be crazy.

It was the best episode of this season...
But in general the quality of the writing has been shit for the past few seasons.
In what way? This episode seems objectively bad to me in every way.Dear lord the acting was so unconvincing.

Anyway.. the next episode promises to be a spectacle.

Last edited:

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The writers deciding that the throne meant more than the white walkers has killed my interest. The final 2 episodes could be amazing but it's too late.

The throne was a big deal in the first few seasons, until we learned none of it mattered. That was fairly obvious to everyone except for the people in charge it seems

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bummed out that these wastemans are writing a new star wars trilogy of their own making. The potential could be great but not with these dudes. Hopefully a third writer is lumped in with them

I can see why. Episode one left me eh, but 2 and 3 were great and pretty darn good, so I started to get tentatively excited and then...episode 4. It felt like a concentrated effort to ruin all the good will they'd just built up. What the heck.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused. The episode was no dumber than any other episodes from the last few seasons. People are JUST realizing that the writing has gone down the shitter?

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm watching amateur actors completely failing in portraing these characters, they feel like caricatures.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The episode had such lazy writing at points. It certainly was one of the shittiest episodes in GoT history.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I enjoyed it a lot.The Dany stuff makes sense, so does Varys. I expected more rationality from Tyrion actually.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm watching amateur actors completely failing in portraing these characters, they feel like caricatures.
Yeah i think they actually rushed most of this. Some scenes were so unconvincing. Like: bad acting.

I'm so confused. The episode was no dumber than any other episodes from the last few seasons. People are JUST realizing that the writing has gone down the shitter?

Nah. Previous backlash was mostly people not understanding and missing stuff, hopping on an anti hype train (suddenly everyone was a war strategic....lol) and being too emotionally involved with characters. This was actually bad. Like the Dornish Sand Snakes episode.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was okay. Not very engaging outside of a few scenes with some poor direction. More than the writing, I found the uninteresting and sometimes silly visual framing and performances to be below par. The show's had worse episodes.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I hate how in the season after 4, there is always some flamboyant psycho dude with cheat codes that only serves for shock value and to get characters dead fast and advance the plot.
First it was Ramsay Bolton (His "good twenty men") and now it's the fucking wannabe rockstar clown, Euron Greyjoy. I guess this episode comes to show the greatest technological revolution, ballistas that sink ships and, regardless, fire a harpoon like, each second. So much for Aegon the Conqueror, if only they had had ballistas...

And it's even more sad when the ballistas were supposed to come from Qyburn (One of those characters now missing in this show) who spent the entire season six plotting to blow up the Sept using Valyrian fire, and as sort of a parallel of Tyrion destroying Stanis' fleet. (With Valyrian fire) From there to rockets or artillery there is only a few steps, and it would have made for a great technological revolution in Westeros as an answer to the dragons, a parallel of "fight fire with fire" and it would be a lot less cringy than watching those impossible giant crossbows that manage to sink ships.

Battles used to be won with ingenuity and plausible resources in this show, there used to be tension, anticipation... Now it's just an anime full of silly plot twists.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
The Bron subplot has pissed me off like no other. I can't believe the stupidity behind it.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
The episode was really bad, they should all just shut up and go to war now, because the dialogue is so bad.