• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Daenerys

tenor.gif

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
This season is for sure rushed. Do we even know why they rushed the finale? Seems like they could have easily stretched all this out for 2 full seasons.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
There were just as many people voting the episode 10/10 before it aired. Probably more.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'll pretty much defend anything Game of Thrones within reason and I loved A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. I also thought The Long Night was very entertaining.

But yeah, it's a bizarre episode. It's like the director told the actors to ad lib their characters like they were drunk at a party. Then they filmed the rest of the episode without any director at all. Varys and Tyrion pretty much repeat their dialogues from previous seasons but there is a bizarre shift in their motivations as though some scene happened off screen. But they forgot that they needed a final scene for the episode so they filmed the part of the King's Landing set that wasn't destroyed, like the backyard of King's Landing.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dorks with opinions going to opinionate.

I thought it was an average episode for game of thrones, enjoyed it well enough.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Man, what a way to end such a (generally) good show. Unless the last 2 episodes are all kinds of epic, this is gonna be their weakest season, and unfortunately, the one everyone will remember.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading these threads makes me feel like I'm the only one that just turns their brain off and enjoys the entertainment. I liked the episode well enough.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Reading these threads makes me feel like I'm the only one that just turns their brain off and enjoys the entertainment. I liked the episode well enough.

I've enjoyed the whole series too, even this one. Actually I thought this one was pretty good until the Euron ambush, and even then it meant that S8 has only had about 20 weak minutes as E1-3 is to me the best (or among the best) three episode chain of the series. I mean I can find plotholes, bad writing/directing decisions, etc in most any movie and show, and can guess most endings/twists if I care to, but it just makes life miserable to.

Then I remember that people sorta shat on Wire S3 and the reviews wash over me.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
I've been feeling a little cold towards the show these last few seasons, but I still look forward to it every week. I rarely outright think "that was stupid" after an episode, at worst it elicits a "meh," but last night? That was stupid.

I was mostly onboard right up until they killed the dragon. Before that, at worst a little irked about things like the lack of acknowledgment of Ghost and the cutting away from the Starks reacting to Jon's revelation(not a book reader, but it's felt like they've avoided spending time on the actual emotional/dramatic consequences of basically anything ever since they ran out of books to follow)

Fucking Euron. He isn't even a character, he's a plot device. He can do shit just because the plot needs it to happen. Aside from what has been said about the total lack of planning for the Iron Fleet, after he killed the dragon I kept wondering why Dany wouldn't fly around and roast them all from behind, or SOMETHING. It's not like a big ship can turn on a dime, can it? They aren't going to shoot through their own sails. Then when they unleash on Dany's ships, she's fucked off to somewhere. And I really thought like Missandei died during the attack, and it gave some weight to that nonsense. But no, next scene, she's alive. Somehow captured from the wreckage. I just kind of checked out emotionally at that point.

Hopefully all this rushing to put the pieces in a specific place was actually for something good in the next couple of weeks.

Thank goodness for the visuals I guess.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This episode is not last episode though?

cover2.jpg

This has been the worst season of the show by far. The last 4 episodes do not give me the impression that this conclusion will be both satisfying and well constructed. Not sure what to tell you, I actually thought this episode was the best so far this season but that was mainly for the performances. Everything else has been subpar.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
death of the dragon was straight up pantomine....way uplifting music of them flying was playing loudly then it just snapped failed in every way possible. it wasnt even shocking, was straight up shitty writing.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
death of the dragon was straight up pantomine....way uplifting music of them flying was playing loudly then it just snapped failed in every way possible. it wasnt even shocking, was straight up shitty writing.
D&D used Rheagal to pad Euron's resume just like they used Rickon to pad Ramsey's. They're hack writers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
As a book reader, I've had mixed feelings about the show for a long time. But it's still been enjoyable, mostly. Now, though, I'm full-on hate-watching it.

My wife, not a book reader, spent the last two episodes mostly laughing. When I asked her why, when very little is meant to be funny, she just says "it's so stupid!".

Even the stupid shit they do, could be done in a much more plausible way. For example:

So they want to kill a dragon. Fine. But 3 perfect shots out of nowhere? Amazing heat-seeking missile technology they have there. And then followed by a huge volley of misses? Groan. How about:

- Dany sees ships
- Dany flies down to burn ships - as was discussed in their battle plan
- Dany realizes ships have scorpion weapons, pulls up
- Unmanned dragon does not pull up, gets hit by volley of multiple shots

Much more plausible, same ending. And, quite frankly, has more tension, I think. But it's lacking the shock value, so the morons went with their stupid version.
They could even do something like
the Dragon sacrifices it's self to save Dany from the volley, keeps the Dragon's strong, as they'd not show one getting hit 3 times from miles away, flow better as there wouldn't be the BS 3 perfect shots from miles away but Drogon dodging like 15 bolts at close range and would play into the whole she's becoing a mad queen, as loved ones keep dying to save her.
It's not great, but fuck load better than the shit we got.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
8 seasons in and people are fed up with the third to last episode?

The show went past the books. The showrunners cannot write, for the most part, without the book material. They show outright contempt for many key concepts at times and fail to deliver on much of anything beyond dumb spectacle. The disgust with this is spiking because they spent two episodes fucking around on a battle that didn't deliver, leaving themselves 3 (now 2) episodes to complete character arcs. It's terrible.

The show deserves much better than this.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory drive-by posting, trolling.
imagine being this sad and miserable

KLzJOy9.gif

Jan 4, 2018
Getting rid of the Night King in Episode 3 has been a huge mistake.

Episode 3 should have been the destruction of Winterfell (and no plot armors), and Episode 6 should have been the mother of all battles, the great battle between humans and the White Walkers in King's Landing (and a Night King's victory would have been an interesting and tragic ending in my opinion).

Anyway, killing Stannis in season 5 is probably the worst mistake D&D made overall. Stannis defeat was illogical and pure cheating (the 20 good men bullshit, half of the army deserting without any loyalist being aware, all the horses gones, the Bolton having tons of horses, the Boltons having scouts while Stannis hasn't...). Everything comes from this decision.

Last edited:

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
See, I'm not gonna try to come off as superior like "this is garbage tier TV writing" because surely everyone in ResetERA is secretly a hot shit amazing writer that gets ignored by every important TV network or some shit.

I haven't shared a single fucking meme about the whole goddamn episode like I did in the other three. Not a fucking single one.

So yeah, I didn't like it.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The show went past the books. The showrunners cannot write, for the most part, without the book material. They show outright contempt for many key concepts at times and fail to deliver on much of anything beyond dumb spectacle. The disgust with this is spiking because they spent two episodes fucking around on a battle that didn't deliver, leaving themselves 3 (now 2) episodes to complete character arcs. It's terrible.

The show deserves much better than this.

Yeah and that was like over 3 seasons ago when the show went completely off the rails and yet some still stuck with it for whatever reason.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just baffled how some haven't caught on to the clear drop in quality and STILL hung on with the hope that it was going to somehow stick the landing. Did they just not know that the show just did whatever after they had nothing to source?

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the show managed to hold together going into the 6th and 7th season. I feel like D&D has enough plot information from GRRM that they could fudge it and come away with a half decent story. Seasons 6 and 7 had redeemable qualities. They built to a climax sufficiently and it didn't completely feel like the characters were being violently assassinated.

Season 8? Now it feels like we're freeballing completely. We're off the leash with nothing guiding us and the only instruction is to finish this shit. It's like if GRRM got to the last book and it was a 200 page novella that ignored 90% of the characters and was written in 20 font.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Just as an anecdote: Me and the group of folks that I watch/talk about the show with IRL are generally very positive regarding the show. None of us have ever been on the "it's been bad for years" bandwagon, we largely liked last week's episode, we even were largely all cool with the much maligned Beyond the Wall episode. Last night's episode was the first time we all had an immediate negative reaction towards an episode or the show in general. It just feels like the showrunners are running down a bullet point list to wrap things up as fast as possible with next to no regard for the past 7 years of character development or in-universe consistency. The feeling this episode has left me with was dread that the next two are going to be similar and result in this show that I've loved for almost a decade coming to an incredibly disappointing ending.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Angry nerds on the internet? Consider me shook.

D+D announce only 13 episode left.
Internet: "They are going to rush it".

Season 7/8 is very rushed
Internet: shockedpikachu.jpg

But it's not worse than S8E1 aka the shallow reunion episode. This is just salty people now.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
imagine being this sad and miserable

KLzJOy9.gif

I'm imagining instead being such an ardent, obnoxious fanboy that I have to antagonize people who are disappointed with the downward spiral of the show's writing since S5 with lame-ass gifs.

But it's not worse than S8E1 aka the shallow reunion episode. This is just salty people now.

Bronn strolling into an enemy stronghold with map hacks and a Buriza-Do Kyanon, punching the second-in-command in the face, demanding TWO castles, and then walking out is BY FAR one of the stupidest scenes in the series.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I think you've got it. They likely don't want to share the success with anyone else. Or it could be that the actors want to be done too and didn't want to do another season.
either way, the story was going to be ending soon and the actors probably knew that too. I blame the showrunners

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Bronn scene is probably the worst scene in the history of the show.

It makes less than zero sense.

Of course anyone is going to promise Bronn whatever he wants to save their own lives.

But does he really expect to get Highgarden after the stunt he pulled? Any sane person would have him arrested the second he steps into the throne room asking for payment.

In one scene they made me hate Bronn, which is impressive.

Last edited:

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
As an episode, it was better than the worst of season 5, but with three episodes left, it was much more disappointing.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
When the best defense suggested here is "turn off your brain", that's a sign.

But sure, it's not possible the episode was just terrible. Gotta just be angry basement nerds or whatever.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
to me it seemed like a pretty average episode compared to the last what like 4 seasons

are people just noticing now that it got not great? or they're just figuring out its not actually going to get any better before the end and they're not going to stick anything resembling a landing

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
I'm imagining instead being such an ardent, obnoxious fanboy that I have to antagonize people who are disappointed with the downward spiral of the show's writing since S5 with lame-ass gifs.

imagine being this upset about something fictional

also ironic you're calling me ardent & obnoxious

Angry nerds on the internet? Consider me shook.

D+D announce only 13 episode left.
Internet: "They are going to rush it".

Season 7/8 is very rushed
Internet: shockedpikachu.jpg

yep, enjoying things isn't allowed, these people are so privileged that this is the worst thing in their life

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
When the best defense suggested here is "turn off your brain", that's a sign.

But sure, it's not possible the episode was just terrible. Gotta just be angry basement nerds or whatever.

When you have an vitriolic and emotional vendetta against the creators of a show, the problem is not the show, its you. Well-adjusted adults walk away from a piece of pop culture before they get that upset, but people on the internet just keep going.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
When you have an vitriolic and emotional vendetta against the creators of a show, the problem is not the show, its you. Well-adjusted adults walk away from a piece of pop culture before they get that upset, but people on the internet just keep going.

who here has a vitriolic and emotional vendetta, lmao. yall just making shit up now because people didnt like a thing you like.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Just turn your brain off lol"

No, I don't want to do that. I've always liked to analyze this show and what happens in it, speculate what's going to happen. It used to be pretty water tight in that sense, as there was rarely any obvious plotholes and the show felt like it was made by intelligent people who thught about continuity. But these days almost every scene can be put into question. "Why did that happen?" "How is that even possible?" "But what what about that thing earlier?". Stupid things are happening at an alarming rate, too many to list.

This show has become incredibly frustrating to watch but of course I will watch it.